What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (3 Viewers)

I've seen some discussion that they may try and use Hernandez at RG, should they cut Zeitler for salary cap purposes.
Yikes !!! Based on this season ... Hernandez and Lemieux would very likely rank as the worst Guard combo in the NFL 

Yikes !!! Based on this season ... Hernandez and Lemieux would very likely rank as the worst Guard combo in the NFL 
Yeah that would be a terrible combo. They should try to restructure Zeitler's contract in an effort to lower his number. Hernandez is nothing more than a back up at this point. 

Giants are a just couple of moves away from being contenders 

On Offense

They should restructure Zeitlers contract and they should do the same with Solder, assuming he still wants to play. The Giants owe Solder a lot of money whether he plays for them or not so I would rather try to restructure what is owed to him and bring down the cap figure rather than paying him to retire and still having to pay a chump like Fleming who sucked. Solder might benefit from the switch to RT or could be the swing tackle behind Thomas and Peart if he is able to win the job. Thomas and Gates should improve in their 2nd season at the positions, Veterans Solder and Zeitler, Hernandez fighting for his NFL life vs Lemeuix, and Peart in hiis 2nd season as the swing tackle should be an improvement over last year without even adding a player

Saquan coming back will immediately improve the offense particularly the running game. 

Jones in his piviotal 3rd season could hopefully put it all together after cutting down on turnovers and starting to do a better job reading defenses and progression much better the 2nd half of the season 

On Defense 

Xavier Mckinney will be like getting a free 1st rd pick since he wasn't available for most of tthe season. When he did play Mckinney was the Giants highest rated saftey. Signing Logan Ryan gives them 3 solid Safties with Peppers, Mckinney and Ryan allowing Love to move back too his natural position CB 

Beal, I know is not much,  but at least he could compete at Corner with Julian Love who actually rated pretty good as his natural position of CB  and could also provide some depth and compettiion. 

All this without even making a move yet.  Now  ... Add the following 

On Offense

There is real talk that Zack Ertz will not be back with the Eagle. If that is the case the Giants need to be all in on him! You get an all pro in Line TE who has been just a notch below Kelce and Kittle as the best all around TEs in the league. Ertz , Kaden Smith and Engram (despite his difficiencies) would give you the best TE group in the NFL

Allen Robinson ... could become a free agent as well ... One of the best WRs in the NFL when it comes to contested catches ... this would solve possiblly the Giants biggest weaknes at WR. 

On Defense

Just retaining the players that they have would be a good start

With their first pick take a defensive game changer ... One of Micah Parsons , Surtain or the Top edge Rusher, whoever that may be, should be available.

Last edited by a moderator:

On Offense

They should restructure Zeitlers contract and they should do the same with Solder, assuming he still wants to play. The Giants owe Solder a lot of money whether he plays for them or not so I would rather try to restructure what is owed to him and bring down the cap figure rather than paying him to retire and still having to pay a chump like Fleming who sucked. Solder might benefit from the switch to RT or could be the swing tackle behind Thomas and Peart if he is able to win the job. Thomas and Gates should improve in their 2nd season at the positions, Veterans Solder and Zeitler, Hernandez fighting for his NFL life vs Lemeuix, and Peart in hiis 2nd season as the swing tackle should be an improvement over last year without even adding a player

Saquan coming back will immediately improve the offense particularly the running game. 

Jones in his piviotal 3rd season could hopefully put it all together after cutting down on turnovers and starting to do a better job reading defenses and progression much better the 2nd half of the season 

On Defense 

Xavier Mckinney will be like getting a free 1st rd pick since he wasn't available for most of tthe season. When he did play Mckinney was the Giants highest rated saftey. Signing Logan Ryan gives them 3 solid Safties with Peppers, Mckinney and Ryan allowing Love to move back too his natural position CB 

Beal, I know is not much,  but at least he could compete at Corner with Julian Love who actually rated pretty good as his natural position of CB  and could also provide some depth and compettiion. 

On Offense

There is real talk that Zack Ertz will not be back with the Eagle. If that is the case the Giants need to be all in on him! You get an all pro in Line TE who has been just a notch below Kelce and Kittle as the best all around TEs in the league. Ertz , Kaden Smith and Engram (despite his difficiencies) would give you the best TE group in the NFL

Allen Robinson ... could become a free agent as well ... One of the best WRs in the NFL when it comes to contested catches ... this would solve possiblly the Giants biggest weaknes at WR. 

On Defense

Just retaining the players that they have would be a good start

With their first pick take a defensive game changer ... One of Micah Parsons , Surtain or the Top edge Rusher, whoever that may be, should be available.
I would love to have Allen Robinson but where are the Giants going to get the money? He is likely a 20M per season guy. According to spotrac the Giants are 2M over the 2021 cap right now. Plus they need to take care of L.Williams & D. Tomlinson. Then there is the potential Saquon extension. 

The front office is going to have to get creative

On Defense 

I wouldn't count on Beal being on the Giants in 2021.  

Giants message board I frequent- evidently one of the Giants inside beat writers stated in a podcast that "Beal did some things that made him persona non grata to the current coaching staff even before Beal opted out of the 2020 season."

No idea what these things are...but with the Baker drama - that was a great opportunity for this kid to run with it...but he opted out.

Since it's looking more likely that the July training camps will run (No "voluntary" OTAs) I'd expect to see everyone get a fair shake in camp. Lord knows there will be a lot of position battles at CB, backup RB, 3rd WR, OG/etc. to watch, and of course how Jones does as it will be his first legit post-rookie year camp. It's after that where you can usually begin to properly evaluate a young QB; he's had the ups and downs of a rookie year (two for Jones), now he can take what he learned and adjust to improve his game.

Giants had lowest YAC per completion in 2020

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/14/new-york-giants-had-lowest-yac-per-completion-2021/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=fishburne&utm_content=home-most-popular

I would love to have Allen Robinson but where are the Giants going to get the money? He is likely a 20M per season guy. According to spotrac the Giants are 2M over the 2021 cap right now. Plus they need to take care of L.Williams & D. Tomlinson. Then there is the potential Saquon extension. 

The front office is going to have to get creative
How are they even in cap trouble with a qb on a rookie deal?  Woof. 

There's really no sucgh thing as cap trouble. Restructure a couple of deals, cut a couple of players and all of a sudden you are in great shape 

GBN draft report

Long but good read on potential draft picks for the Giants.
I'm really impressed with Gregory Rousseau. If he is available at 11 I think he will make us all get over Chase Young. This guy flies around the field and I love the way he throws his body around and dives to use that length to take down players that appear to be out of reach. He'd be the ideal choice for the Giants if he is available. Caleb Farley ... a 6' 2" athletic and long physical CB may be my next choice 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHaafVQoMO4

He's 6' 7" 265 and only 20 years old with room to grow. He did this as a redshirt freshman after coming from a broken ankle  

@kodycutter Thanks for the article!

Per her spreadsheet the Giants will save 41.6M with her proposed moves.

31.6M will be available for when free agency opens – another 10M will be available for post June

The rookie class is expected to take about 6M (which will come from the post June 1st cuts)

She thinks with those savings they could franchise Williams at 19.3

I dont think the Giants are in that bad shape regarding the cap 

They have the 2nd most players signed to contracts 66 ...some of the teams that look like they have tons of cap room only have 50 some odd players signed so that is going to eat into their cap ....

Saints and Eagles are screwed !

Tampa has $11m cap space but only 31 players signed after this season

Colts are going to be good for a long time 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Ryan Wilson of CBS has the Giants taking Kwity Paye DL Michigan in his latest mock.

link

Players of interest the Giants pass up in this draft

Devonta Smith - #12 to SF

Ja’Marr Chase - #13 to MIN

Rousseau - #17 to LVR

Jalen Waddle - #18 to MIA

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1354804995191840774

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Deshaun Watson officially has requested a trade from the Houston Texans, per league sources. He actually did it weeks ago. Their new head-coaching hire, David Culley, has not and will not alter Watson’s thinking.

9:54 AM · Jan 28, 2021

Daniel Jones, Evan Engram and a 2nd round pick for DeShaun Watson.  Let's do this Gettleman.

Deshaun Watson officially has requested a trade from the Houston Texans, per league sources. He actually did it weeks ago. Their new head-coaching hire, David Culley, has not and will not alter Watson’s thinking.

Daniel Jones, Evan Engram and a 2nd round pick for DeShaun Watson.  Let's do this Gettleman.
Texans counter....Engram a first and a third.

If only Bill O'Brien was still there. We could get him for much less.

Texans counter....Engram a first and a third.

If only Bill O'Brien was still there. We could get him for much less.
I'd argue Jones is the 1st rounder they'd get plus he fulfills the need at QB with Watson gone, plus Engram (a first), and the 2nd rounder (#42). Texans have no 1st or 2nd rounders this year and not much in leverage since Watson has a NTC and wants out... now that leaves the Giants to draft Pitts at #11 and have a dynamic combo of Watson/Barkley/Pitts/whatever WR they'll try and sign.

I'd argue Jones is the 1st rounder they'd get plus he fulfills the need at QB with Watson gone, plus Engram (a first), and the 2nd rounder (#42). Texans have no 1st or 2nd rounders this year and not much in leverage since Watson has a NTC and wants out... now that leaves the Giants to draft Pitts at #11 and have a dynamic combo of Watson/Barkley/Pitts/whatever WR they'll try and sign.
Man I love that Watson/Barkley/Pitts trio. I think Pitts is the best player in this years draft. Watched his college career,he has IT.

I'm gonna dream/wish for that to happen😌

That's not going to be nearly enough to get Watson.

Engram isn't worth a 1st.  I doubt anyone would give a 2nd for him either.  He's one dimensional and expensive.  If Jones is worth a 1st, it's not an early one.  The Jets can offer Darnold, #2 and another 1st and that would be a good deal for them.  The NYG wouldn't come close to that offer by offering players like Jones and Engram as the main compensation.

The Jets have 2 first round picks in this years draft and 2 first round picks in next years draft. I think the Texans are going to try to get all of them for Watson. They may not be able to get all four, but I will be surprised if they don't get at least 3 first round picks, plus 1 or 2 lower round picks.

If you look at what teams have traded to move up high in the draft to select a POTENTIAL franchise QB, it is usually around 2 1sts, and a second, over two years. Watson is an established top 5 QB, who is locked up for 5 years. His contract is better for a team that trades for him than for the Texans because the Texans have to keep the signing bonus money against their salary cap in a trade. So over the next 5 years, Watson's base salary cap hit is $10.5M, 35M, 37M, 32M, 32M.

The offer of Jones, Engram, and a 2nd round pick, is laughable even to Bill O'Brien.

RC94 said:
Engram isn't worth a 1st.  I doubt anyone would give a 2nd for him either.  He's one dimensional and expensive.  If Jones is worth a 1st, it's not an early one.  The Jets can offer Darnold, #2 and another 1st and that would be a good deal for them.  The NYG wouldn't come close to that offer by offering players like Jones and Engram as the main compensation.
Giants can add their #11 pick to the deal and either the 2nd rounder or a pick next year, but the way the Texans have operated the last few years... I think they value players over picks as crazy as that sounds. You can call it wishful thinking (and they'd definitely need Watson to flex his leverage to goto the Giants), but reading into the bios/reports about Easterby it's like he'd rather reform players other team game up on rather than take the picks. It's such a clusterf*ck of a situation in the Houston FO.

Again, grain of salt but Houston been making crap deals for so long I don't trust them to suddenly pull off a good one.

RC94 said:
Jones is much better than Darnold ... Darnold worth a late 2nd or 3rd rd pick at this point

The Jets have 2 first round picks in this years draft and 2 first round picks in next years draft. I think the Texans are going to try to get all of them for Watson. They may not be able to get all four, but I will be surprised if they don't get at least 3 first round picks, plus 1 or 2 lower round picks.

If you look at what teams have traded to move up high in the draft to select a POTENTIAL franchise QB, it is usually around 2 1sts, and a second, over two years. Watson is an established top 5 QB, who is locked up for 5 years. His contract is better for a team that trades for him than for the Texans because the Texans have to keep the signing bonus money against their salary cap in a trade. So over the next 5 years, Watson's base salary cap hit is $10.5M, 35M, 37M, 32M, 32M.

The offer of Jones, Engram, and a 2nd round pick, is laughable even to Bill O'Brien.
If the Jets are willing to give up 3 or 4 1st rd picks they should be talking to Jacksonville

If the Jets are willing to give up 3 or 4 1st rd picks they should be talking to Jacksonville
Depends on if you want the proven QB who is past his rookie deal or the potential stud about to start his rookie deal. Because the Jets cap situation is so good, I would take the proven QB. 

Leave me the Journey - Justin Tuck {Players Tribune}

"The night after we upset the undefeated Patriots in 2008, I was up in my hotel room in Phoenix when I heard a knock at the door. I looked through the little peephole and saw Strahan and Osi standing in the hall. Stray had a box of cigars. I guess he was making the rounds before everybody went out to party. 

He had already told Osi. Now, he was coming to tell me.

He was retiring.........."

From Rotoworld:

JASON GARRETT OC, NEW YORK GIANTS

Giants offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is expected back for the 2021 season. 

In what may have been an elaborate comedy bit, the Chargers in January interviewed Garrett for their head coaching vacancy. ESPN's Jordan Raanan said Garrett should be back with the Giants next season, though he expects some changes to the offensive coaching staff. New York was second to last in offensive yards per game last year, hampered by an ineffective, conservative passing game and a nonexistent rushing attack. Only the Jets scored fewer points than the Giants in 2020. Daniel Jones and the rest of the Big Blue offense can look forward to another season of Garrett's cringeworthy sideline clapping from Garrett. 

Giants are fine at QB ... Daniel Jones 1st 2 seasons compare very similarly to Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield.both of whom are on much better teams. Give him Sanquan, another receiving weapon and continiur to build the Oline and Jones will put up similar numbers.

WR 1 - through Free Agency is the way to go   ... this will Allow the Gianst to pick the Defensive difference maker that they have been missing forever. Parsons, Rousseau or KwityPayne. Pick#  2 the Best Guard or Center available ... Pick 3  # Corner of or In line TE 

Then they will be a playoff team 

From Rotoworld:

Giants hired Rob Sale as offensive line coach. 

Sale and Giants head coach Joe Judge were together at Alabama a decade ago. Sale spent three years as Louisiana's offensive coordinator -- a stretch in which the Ragin' Cajuns broke many offensive school records, including total offense (6,918), total touchdowns (69), most rushing yards (3,604), most rushing touchdowns (42) and most passing touchdowns (27). The team's production caught the attention of NFL decision makers, and Sale now starts what could be his ascent to an offensive coordinator job in the league. For now, he'll toil under offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who led one of the NFL's worst offenses in 2020. 

What is this?

Giants Departures ... did i miss something?

DT Leonard Williams, EDGE Kyler Fackrell, DT Dalvin Tomlinson, RT Cameron Fleming, RB Wayne Gallman, RB Dion Lewis, DT Austin Johnson
besides leonard, i wouldn't be surprised by any of them.

besides leonard, i wouldn't be surprised by any of them.
As far as potential departures/cuts go, I think they kinda HAVE to sign Williams but it's a sure bet the other guys are probably gone (I like Gallman Jr. but Barkley will be back and they can always use a cheap retread like Alfred Morris to back him up). I think they keep Zeitler, but that's about it. This new staff has no loyalties to guys like Mayo or Cody Core.

Users who are viewing this thread