What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (2 Viewers)

Despite being an Eagles fan (living in Giants country), I have always been really impressed with ownership and organization. Agree it seems out of character. Reporters close to the organization, like Kim Jones and Mike Garofolo were confident this had ownership buy-in. Kim Jones was close to tears herself yesterday.

I don't get why Giants fans are upset. We should be trying to lose on purpose. We need to decide now whether to hold with the QBs we have, or draft a potential new franchise QB this offseason. 

I'm more upset that we beat the Chiefs than that we benched Eli. That was a dumb move. We should have let them walk over us. Going from one to two wins doesn't mean much in this season's standings, but could completely shut us out of a good draft spot.  
You'll be hard pressed to find players that are willing to lose on purpose. If they are, I wouldn't want them anyways. 

As far as Eli, benching him to see what you have in the young guys is one thing. Benching him to start Geno Smith? GTFO. 

FWIW, I am not a Giants fan. 

To add to that... how do you see the Giants winning any games Walking Boot? No WRs, no O-Line, no secondary depth (lost Janoris Jenkins to IR), little running game to speak of. What games were they winning? 

With this QB change, I have to assume that defenses will be focusing on stopping the run more than they already are. Safe to assume that Darkwa's potential for points has plummeted?

I don't get why Giants fans are upset. We should be trying to lose on purpose. We need to decide now whether to hold with the QBs we have, or draft a potential new franchise QB this offseason. 

I'm more upset that we beat the Chiefs than that we benched Eli. That was a dumb move. We should have let them walk over us. Going from one to two wins doesn't mean much in this season's standings, but could completely shut us out of a good draft spot.  
Really odd point of view 

As one related point, isn't it a bit ironic that Eli was "mixed in" as a rookie to replace Warner on a winning team?
Warner was cut the previous season and was signed by the Giants to mentor Eli ... a stopgap until Eli was ready. He only started 10 Games for the Giants and was replaced as expected by the #1 pick in the draft. Everyone including Warner new this was the plan ...so actually it's not even remotely similar or ironic. 

The Giants are going to have a good draft pick in a draft with a lot of potential franchise QBs coming out.  What do you think Webb/Geno could ever show that would not have the Giants drafting a QB next year?

If the result is going to be the same (draft a QB) why disrespect one of your all time greats and alienate your fan base?

Where is the disrespect? Every game he goes out there is another chance this line gets him killed. It's better for him to sit at this point. They're not going to win games. Why risk injury to go 3-13 instead of 2-14? 
... no comment. No comment at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the disrespect? Every game he goes out there is another chance this line gets him killed. It's better for him to sit at this point. They're not going to win games. Why risk injury to go 3-13 instead of 2-14?
Come on, we can't have a rational conversation if you are going to be like that.

"Eli, we are benching you for Geno Smith because he gives us a better chance to win"- If you can't see the disrespect there then you shouldn't be part of this conversation.

The only way the Giants "have a better chance to win" right now is to see McAdoo and Reese filling out their unemployment claims.

Top 5 (probably 3) pick coming up in what looks to be a very talented draft class. I don't trust Reese to make that pick and I

don't trust McAdoo to "coach up" that pick.

Seems clear that Eli has his share of detractors. I don't get it, as I think he's been a class act all the way. But whatever. No, I don't hold his pre-draft maneuvering against him. Players only get to influence their pay grade so many times and if they don't swing the hammer when they have it, they are fools. You can't tell me with a straight face that there was more money to be made in SD as opposed to NYC. In my eyes it was simply business. There are way too many Javon Walkers out there.

I am deeply disappointed in how the Giants have handled this. I wouldn't expect anything less from McAdoo and Reese. I did expect much more from Mara. I can't wait for Reese and McAdoo to be shown the door. Hopefully 2 seconds after the final gun. I'll be spending the rest of the season hoping for one train wreck game after another. I want both their NFL careers to be over. 

Manning deserved better. 

I just read Mara's side of the story. I think there was something lost in translation between his discussions with Reese and McAdoo and how McAdoo actually handled it. And he was also probably a little naive (maybe even willfully blind) to how poorly it would be received. His vision purportedly seems to be closer to (my words) "Hey Eli, if a game gets out of hand in either direction, just want to give you a heads up that we'd like to get a look at Davis."  
If McAdoo had any chance of continuing his job, I think this reduces it because he's likely responsible for making things worse than they had to be and tarnishing the team's reputation. Mara expected fan push back, but maybe not alums and broadcasters trashing the team.

One account of his comments:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-owner-john-mara-side-eli-manning-benching-article-1.3665795

I am usually not in favor of in-season firings of people in key positions, but at this point I would rather see what an interim head coach and GM can do.  I think it has similar value to benching Eli for Webb (not for Smith, that is just idiotic).  I would like to see what someone else can do in the key coaching and front office positions, and if they do a good job they can throw their hat in the ring during the search for the long term replacements.

I am usually not in favor of in-season firings of people in key positions, but at this point I would rather see what an interim head coach and GM can do.  I think it has similar value to benching Eli for Webb (not for Smith, that is just idiotic).  I would like to see what someone else can do in the key coaching and front office positions, and if they do a good job they can throw their hat in the ring during the search for the long term replacements.
Been over 40 years since the Giants org fired a HC mid season.... it shows they recognize the gravity of this situation at the least.

I, too, would have been fine sitting Eli to see what the kid has... but the pathetic excuse of a teammate as demonstrated in his time cross town to stop the streak? That's just awful and makes no sense from a strategic point of view.

Reese needs to go, obviously... can't work with a GM who ignores the offensive line as we have for five years going, it seems

Wha ha. I'm not a Giants fan or hater being from the Midwest but I thought it was comical seeing cuts from McAdoo press conferences. He just looked befuddled, lost, in way over his head like no other coach I have seen before.

I'd like to thank Reese for the 2 Super Bowls won under him as the GM. 
I understand that it is time for him to go though. 

The Giants will probably be in position to take a QB in the 1st round so IMO they should bring in an offense oriented head coach and a strong DC to cover that end.  I can see the Giants targeting McDaniels to be the next HC.  Hopefully he has learned a lot since his last time as HC.

Wha ha. I'm not a Giants fan or hater being from the Midwest but I thought it was comical seeing cuts from McAdoo press conferences. He just looked befuddled, lost, in way over his head like no other coach I have seen before.
I’m gonna assume you never caught Jim Tomsula in his brief tenure with the 49ers. Comedy gold.

pick up your stuff

bludgeon

Sorry for the rabbit trail, back to our local chaos.

firing them was the right thing to do but why let Eli sit and then fire them...they should've fired them when they came up with the ridiculous plan to start Geno and let Eli and his streak continue.  I'm not even a huge Giants fan but as a football fan for the Giants to do what they did was just not right...I think the ownership completely realizes it but should've taken this action sooner....

firing them was the right thing to do but why let Eli sit and then fire them...they should've fired them when they came up with the ridiculous plan to start Geno and let Eli and his streak continue.  I'm not even a huge Giants fan but as a football fan for the Giants to do what they did was just not right...I think the ownership completely realizes it but should've taken this action sooner....
PR stunt by ownership. They were on board with the Eli benching, they just didn't realize how big and negative the blow back was going to be. 

So now they decide since there are still a few home games left they better do something to try and offset all of the negativity behind the Eli benching 

It's funny because I'm not a guy who insults coaches and the like, but Reese and McAdoo can eat a fat one for all I care. How many years did Reese ignore the O-Line for an aging QB? Ignoring getting a bedrock LB or even a cover LB when the Giants regularly get killed by TEs? Reese's drafts have been largely terrible outside of a few gems, and his insistence on BPA in almost every round has created his pink slip.

There aren't enough negatives I can say about McAdoo. The way he's treated Eli Manning is criminal, but don't forget the members of the defense. When you have to suspend 2-3 guys on D, there's a communication issue. He lost the team arguably twice this year, and it's obvious to me the team played hard for themselves, not the coach. Next year you might see a disciplinarian-type coach in the similar Coughlin mold methinks, but I think there's a much greater chance Eli Manning is back. To me Giants will draft a QB and have him sit most of the year until he's ready.

BTW, big win for the Giants yesterday.... the 49ers that is. With us winning the tie breaker by losing to them ourselves, that helps offset the pain of having beat the Chiefs. While the 49ers are likely to lock down Garoppolo, the less teams ahead of us the better chance not to be jumped by a team trading up.

Giants didnt win any superbowls because of Reese ... Ernie Accorsi built those teams 
Let’s not pretend sit here and pretend that Reese didn’t have anything to do with building those teams.

He was director of player personnel and was responsible for running the team's draft during the Accorsi years.

Let’s not pretend sit here and pretend that Reese didn’t have anything to do with building those teams.

He was director of player personnel and was responsible for running the team's draft during the Accorsi years.
Reese didn't even have anything to do with his 1st draft as GM ... Accorsi was still on as a consultant and it's no coincidence that that was Reese's best draft 

Reese didn't even have anything to do with his 1st draft as GM ... Accorsi was still on as a consultant and it's no coincidence that that was Reese's best draft 
Just plain dumb!

I get that Reese hasn’t a good job the last 5 years but this narrative that the Supebowls are all Ernie is just plan dumb!

You claim to be a fan of the team but don’t know #### about the history.

Here is starting lineup for the 2011 Superbowl (per profootball reference)

Eli - 2004

Bradshaw – drafted by Reese in 2007

Hynoski – drafted by Reese in 2011

Nicks – drafted by Reese in 2009

Cruz – Signed by Reese in 2010

Ballard – Drafted by Reese in 2010

Deihl - 2003

Boothe – Free agent signing by Reese in 2007

Baas - Free agent signing by Reese in 2011

Snee - 2004

McKenzie – free agent in 2005

7 of the 11 offensive starters were either drafted by Reese or signed as a free agent under him

Tuck - 2005

Linval – drafted by Reese in 2010

Canty - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009

JPP - Drafted by Reese in 2010

Blackburn - 2005

Boley - Free agent signing by Reese in 2009

Webster - 2005

A Ross - drafted by Reese in 2007

Kenny Phillips - Drafted by Reese in 2008

Rolle - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010

D Grant - Free agent signing by Reese in 2010

8 of the 11 defensive starters were either drafted by Reese or signed as a free agent under him

That’s 15 of 22 starters acquired under Reese

Users who are viewing this thread