What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quick tax question for FBG tax guys (1 Viewer)

Courtjester

The Town Drunk
My 17 year old daughter worked for 4 weeks this summer at a school teaching  kids to read. She got a W-2 in the mail indicating $820 in wages and they took $85 out in PERA ( which is a  public employees retirement account),  but they didn't withhold any other taxes. 

Does she have to file an individual income tax return or do I add this money to my return or do we just do nothing because the wages are so low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't need to file with no withholding and well below the minimum of taxable income.  Also, if it is not reported under you or your spouse's SS#, do NOT report it on your tax return.

If she is off to college this year, I would file anyways.  It is easier to just include her 1040 then to try to explain why she did not file as part of the financial aid process. 

You'll never have a problem with this, but if it were me, I'd file a 1040 EZ because I don't look favorably on the competence of our IRS.

I'll hijack this thread for my own tax question...

I live/work in Ohio, but did some work for a week in Missouri for a company based in North Carolina.   W2 shows taxes withheld for Feds, SS, Medicare, and state of MO.   Looks like Missouri requires any nonresident earning more than $600 to file a state return there.   I assume I still need to do this even though state income tax was withheld already.   Turbo Tax is prompting me to file a North Carolina return, I assume since it reads the NC address on the employer name.  I can't imagine I would do both.  I just file in Missouri, right?  

I'll hijack this thread for my own tax question...

I live/work in Ohio, but did some work for a week in Missouri for a company based in North Carolina.   W2 shows taxes withheld for Feds, SS, Medicare, and state of MO.   Looks like Missouri requires any nonresident earning more than $600 to file a state return there.   I assume I still need to do this even though state income tax was withheld already.   Turbo Tax is prompting me to file a North Carolina return, I assume since it reads the NC address on the employer name.  I can't imagine I would do both.  I just file in Missouri, right?  
Yes, file in Ohio for your regular job and Missouri for that job. Where their headquarters are is irrelevant so don't file anything for NC. 

JFC...2 hours of deciphering what needs to be done and filling out cryptic forms and in the end (assuming I did it right), I owe the state of Missouri 8 ####### dollars.  I hate tax codes.

Users who are viewing this thread