What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Joe Rogan Experience (1 Viewer)

I bet Alex Jones is a cool guy off camera.  Let's face it, he found a group of suckers and takes their money left and right. 
Almost done with the podcast and this is my first exposure to him. My assumption is that he's mentally ill, but I guess I can't rule out the possibility that he's an extremely skilled con artist. He'd have to be in the top 1% in history though, because he comes off completely convinced of the things he's saying, and has all of his stories memorized. I think it's more likely that he's a savant when it comes to retaining & reciting facts in that rapid-fire style that he has, and it's coupled with some kind of paranoid delusional disorder, so his "facts" are 100% real to his addled brain. That's why he can come across as authentic and persuasive at times, because he says things with such conviction. It's clear that we've got a major crisis with our schools failing to teach critical thinking skills because no adult should take this guy seriously as a news source. 

I found it fascinating.
sure, I did as well, but after the first hour or so once you realize that Rollins is one seriously effed up dude. 

I googled him after that podcast to see if it was some sort of act but he said he was molested for a bit at a young age so that probably screwed him up socially for good.  The way he goes about his life is incredibly bizarre.

I forget his name now, but the talk with the guy who gives everything he makes over $35K back to charity is an interesting guy too. 

sure, I did as well, but after the first hour or so once you realize that Rollins is one seriously effed up dude. 

I googled him after that podcast to see if it was some sort of act but he said he was molested for a bit at a young age so that probably screwed him up socially for good.  The way he goes about his life is incredibly bizarre.
Guy just loves to do #### and hates to relax.

KarmaPolice said:
I forget his name now, but the talk with the guy who gives everything he makes over $35K back to charity is an interesting guy too. 
Will MacAskill, effective altruism.  Definitely interesting stuff.  I listened to that, Jordan Peterson, and the Peter Singer episode  of Sam Harris in one weekend.  My head was really effed up (in a good way) mainlining critical issues of truth and morality.

Here is Will on Econtalk from last year.  http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2015/09/william_macaski.html

I did not find Joe to necessarily be giving credibility to Alex Jones.  Honestly I was super impressed with his ability just to stay focused on the particular details that he was interested in and get Alex to dive deeper into them (sometimes he had nothing that substantive to say) and completely ignore 90% of Jones's scattered nonsense and not get derailed.

Eddie Bravo went on Alex Jones show recently.  It popped up on my YouTube, so I checked it out.  Lmao, they said there have been less chemtrails since Trump took office.

Listened to the one with Ron Miscavige a few days ago. That was a weird one. Joe comes off like a total #######. I usually like his podcasts too. Thinking now the guy is kind of a meathead.

Interesting on the Sam and Dan Harris one when Dan asked Joe point blank about what he thinks about Alex Jones and all of his nonsense and Joe's main points were that while he knows that he is crazy and they like to wind him up and let him go, that they have been friends for about 20 years, that some of it is definitely an act, and that occasionally he has been right about some serious and major things.  Did not really care for the response, especially the last part.  I could understand him being diplomatic, but he never really disavowed all of the nonsense.

Interesting on the Sam and Dan Harris one when Dan asked Joe point blank about what he thinks about Alex Jones and all of his nonsense and Joe's main points were that while he knows that he is crazy and they like to wind him up and let him go, that they have been friends for about 20 years, that some of it is definitely an act, and that occasionally he has been right about some serious and major things.  Did not really care for the response, especially the last part.  I could understand him being diplomatic, but he never really disavowed all of the nonsense.
Why burn that bridge by going into real detail on the crazy part? Everyone knows he's nuts, Joe took the middle ground like most hosts who have controversial guests on do.

Was that last part you didn't care for wrong, or did you just not like that he said it without bashing Jones?

I enjoy the fact JRE isn't an echo chamber of only one point of view. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, after listening to the Ron Miscavage episode i think Joe's head isn't screwed on straight. If you listen to the whole Alex Jones episode I think he (Rogan) is somewhat of a 9/11 truther as well.

That's the biggest issue I have with Rogan, legitimizing Jones to even the slightest degree is asinine and irresponsible. 

I'm just firing this one up. I like this kind of stuff.

Why burn that bridge by going into real detail on the crazy part? Everyone knows he's nuts, Joe took the middle ground like most hosts who have controversial guests on do.

Was that last part you didn't care for wrong, or did you just not like that he said it without bashing Jones?

I enjoy the fact JRE isn't an echo chamber of only one point of view. 
I don't really think it was middle ground.  Jones throws out #### against the wall all the time and a few things happened to be true.  Including the idea of agent provocateurs (which Joe goes on to say he doesn't even know who is doing it) and Operation Northwoods (which was released as part of FOIA so unclear to me what role Jones even played in the being released).  Then Dan says, but how do you feel about the things that are demonstrably false.  Joe says, but let's talk about that first, there are things that are true.  Well, of course a blind squirrel finds a nut, but I'm barely sure that we need Alex Jones for the supposedly positive things that he provides, and the negative results far outweigh it in my mind.  I'm not saying that it's a dealbreaker, just thought there should be a more balanced and measured response at least acknowledging that he has led to a lot of negative outcomes.

I like the JRE but I agree with Larry.  I was disappointed with the Scientology dad episode.   Joe seemed a bit flippant and seemed to really be digging at the dad to own some part of the disconnection with his son.  

Willie Neslon said:
Listened to the one with Ron Miscavige a few days ago. That was a weird one. Joe comes off like a total #######. I usually like his podcasts too. Thinking now the guy is kind of a meathead.
Listening now and yeah, he's hopefully just tired & cranky because he's being a complete asspipe to the guy. Just sarcastic and snarky throughout the whole interview. And Miscavige's story is riveting.

Rogan has a show lined up here in Detroit.  Wondering if anyone has seen his standup.  Worth it to get tickets?
He usually brings Tony Henchcliff, Joey diaz, or some other good comics to open.  O didn't see him when he was in Tampa, but heard he was good.

#### Yeah!! Just saw there was a new one with Carlson and Hancock.  This time they are also with a skeptic that wanted to debate them.  Can't wait to listen to this near 4 hour episode.
Loved it. Watching the maps part towards the end on youtube now. :thumbup:  

Hancock was a little harsh, but he was the one who was miswritten about, so I guess he gets some slack. 

Loved it. Watching the maps part towards the end on youtube now. :thumbup:  

Hancock was a little harsh, but he was the one who was miswritten about, so I guess he gets some slack. 
Those two were kinda dooshy and he has been railed on for decades, so I get that he's a bit touchy and harsh. 

I don't get what is so hard about this - he says over and over that he isn't a scientist.  I mean I was getting pissed when the 2nd guy came on and was even dooshier.  I mean to go after stuff like claiming that Hancock is saying that these people had magical powers and #### means that you really aren't reading the books or really aren't giving them a chance.  They just don't like the ideas and want to shut him down, at least that's how I felt listening to them. 

Those two were kinda dooshy and he has been railed on for decades, so I get that he's a bit touchy and harsh. 

I don't get what is so hard about this - he says over and over that he isn't a scientist.  I mean I was getting pissed when the 2nd guy came on and was even dooshier.  I mean to go after stuff like claiming that Hancock is saying that these people had magical powers and #### means that you really aren't reading the books or really aren't giving them a chance.  They just don't like the ideas and want to shut him down, at least that's how I felt listening to them. 
Graham Hancock is one of my favorite guest.  Being a geography major the Antarctica maps fascinate me.

Had never listened before, but I listened to his interview with Guy Ritchie and it was really interesting and fairly entertaining.

After hearing him on Rogan, Jocko Willink is my favorite podcaster  now. 

#729 & #962

That recent psychiatrist Joe had on is a total whack job. She doesn't even believe in the germ theory and thinks autism is linked to vaccines. Why does Joe attract the conspiracy theorists to his podcasts?

PS I'm totally amazed she got into Cornell and MIT.

That recent psychiatrist Joe had on is a total whack job. She doesn't even believe in the germ theory and thinks autism is linked to vaccines. Why does Joe attract the conspiracy theorists to his podcasts?

PS I'm totally amazed she got into Cornell and MIT.
Kelly Brogan?  I passed when I saw she was one of those holistic medicine #####es.

Kelly Brogan?  I passed when I saw she was one of those holistic medicine #####es.
Yeah, this was a rough one.  My wife battles depression and this was a hard podcast to listen to because of that.  I still like to hear people's opinion, but neither seem to be overly sympathetic on that front. 

I thought Sebastian Junger was good too.  I have read a couple of his books and seen Restrepo.  Had some interesting things to say about our need for community. 

Users who are viewing this thread