What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Falcons Fire Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Richard Smith fired after Super Bowl collapse

Defensive line coach, Bryan Cox, also let go by Dan Quinn.  

I thought the defense played well this season and was up and coming.  The line played well enough in the SB and got decent pressure on Brady, but tired out, given NE ran 90+ plays.  The offense didn't help them out much.  Lots of coaching changes in Atlanta this off season.  You'd never know they won the NFC and made it to the SB.  

I agree...I was surprised at how well the D played in the first half vs NE.  Seems like an overreaction.

Is there more to this than the Super Bowl?  They gave the Pats all they could handle for a good portion of that game...the end was ugly but shouldn't be the reason to can the guy...

I agree...I was surprised at how well the D played in the first half vs NE.  Seems like an overreaction.
this.

After the first half, Smith looked like a genius.  The Falcons defense is really young too and seemed to come along rather well at the end of the year.  If anything, fire your conditioning coach as they were winded.  If this is only based on the 2nd half, he has to take a hard look at Mathews for holding and Ryan for taking a sack.  He can't fire Kyle I guess, but the 2nd half collapse was at least partly on the offense. 

Richard Smith fired after Super Bowl collapse

Defensive line coach, Bryan Cox, also let go by Dan Quinn.  

I thought the defense played well this season and was up and coming.  The line played well enough in the SB and got decent pressure on Brady, but tired out, given NE ran 90+ plays.  The offense didn't help them out much.  Lots of coaching changes in Atlanta this off season.  You'd never know they won the NFC and made it to the SB.  
Yeah because the defense only had to take over 90 snaps due to the offense choking down the stretch.  Remind me...how many defensive guys were supposed to block Hightower, run the ball at the 23 yards line of NE up by 8 points, etc.???

The unraveling has begun...ATL will be the 2016-17 version of Carolina next year.

I don't know if this guy deserves to be fired from Atlanta, but he was horrible in Houston under Kubiak. In 6 total seasons as a Def. Coordinator, his defenses have finished top 16 in yards allowed once (ranked 16th), top 16 in points allowed twice (ranked14th and 15th) and top 16 in takeaways 3 times (ranked 7th, 16th, and 16th). A lot of mediocre to bad defenses.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18644200/atlanta-falcons-considering-marquand-manuel-defensive-coordinator-position

Sources told ESPN that Falcons coach Dan Quinn started taking more control of the defensive playcalling during the season, and the Falcons showed improvement late in the season and into the playoffs, but still had some hiccups.
It is common knowledge down here in Atlanta that Smith was having trouble understanding the 3-deep Seattle concept and Quinn eventually decided to take over the defensive calls mid-season.  This was probably going to happen, even if the Falcons had won the Super Bowl.

It is common knowledge down here in Atlanta that Smith was having trouble understanding the 3-deep Seattle concept and Quinn eventually decided to take over the defensive calls mid-season.  This was probably going to happen, even if the Falcons had won the Super Bowl.
That makes sense, it wasn't common knowledge elsewhere (or I just missed it)

Users who are viewing this thread