What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (2 Viewers)

I received an offer in my H2H points league (14 teams, 16 keepers) where I give up Carlos Rodon and Eloy Jimenez for Gerrit Cole 

Right now my OF is Hoskins, Olsen and Buxton. I also have Jose Rameriz who is OF eligible. 

My keeper pitchers are Archer, Faria, Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez and Kimbrel. So I could use some help there. Rodon wasn’t going to be a keeper for me so it’s essentially Jimenez for Cole. What are you thoughts on Cole going forward in Houston?

Not a huge Cole fan and don’t think the AL is going to do him any favors. Throw in an unbalanced schedule where he’s facing what I consider to be a offensively stacked AL West, I’d avoid him. 

I received an offer in my H2H points league (14 teams, 16 keepers) where I give up Carlos Rodon and Eloy Jimenez for Gerrit Cole 

Right now my OF is Hoskins, Olsen and Buxton. I also have Jose Rameriz who is OF eligible. 

My keeper pitchers are Archer, Faria, Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez and Kimbrel. So I could use some help there. Rodon wasn’t going to be a keeper for me so it’s essentially Jimenez for Cole. What are you thoughts on Cole going forward in Houston?
I dunno, a lot of people think the Astros can fix Cole. He could be a top 20-25 SP. I'd imagine those are super valuable in H2H. I like Eloy a lot, but I'd be really tempted. Are you only starting 3 OF? If so then Eloy is a little less interesting.

I dunno, a lot of people think the Astros can fix Cole. He could be a top 20-25 SP. I'd imagine those are super valuable in H2H. I like Eloy a lot, but I'd be really tempted. Are you only starting 3 OF? If so then Eloy is a little less interesting.
Yeah we start 3 OFers. I kind of question how the White Sox seem to under develop talent though. It’s a good trade offer. 

I’d rather keep Eloy, at least until he starts bombing homers in spring training. That offer appears to be selling high on Cole.

I can keep 2 of these next year. Already keeping Scherzer, Stanton, T Turner (4of obp 12t roto)

O Albies ATL

W Calhoun TEX

Z Godley AZ

S Gray NYY

B Hand SD

L Weaver StL

boom king said:
I can keep 2 of these next year. Already keeping Scherzer, Stanton, T Turner (4of obp 12t roto)

O Albies ATL

W Calhoun TEX

Z Godley AZ

S Gray NYY

B Hand SD

L Weaver StL
Definitely Albies. On the fence about Hand. Might prefer SP. Not sure which. I think I'd pick Godley.

Playing ROTO for the first time after years of H2H.   I picked 5 and took Goldschmidt.  Any advice for second round  looking at possibly  Ramirez or Lindor.

1, Trout 2. Altuve 3. Arenado 4. Stanton 5. Goldschmidt 6. Blackmon 7. Harper 8. Kershaw 9.Sale 10. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
Playing ROTO for the first time after years of H2H.   I picked 5 and took Goldschmidt.  Any advice for second round  looking at possibly  Ramirez or Lindor.

1, Trout 2. Altuve 3. Arenado 4. Stanton 5. Goldschmidt 6. Blackmon 7. Harper 8. Kershaw 9.Sale 10. 
A little early for Ramirez, Machado better if he's there and you are set on MIFer. 

A little early for Ramirez, Machado better if he's there and you are set on MIFer. 
12 team league Machado was gone right before.  Ended up with Ramirez and came back with Donaldson  5th pick in the third. Will need pitching next round.

10 Team 5x5 but with hits as one of the categories instead of batting average.  Wondering bow much this changes the thinking, if any, with the 1st overall pick which I have.  Most pundits I've seen have Trout 1 and Altuve 2.  Any chance Altuve is ahead of Trout considering hits is a category or am I over thinking this?

10 Team 5x5 but with hits as one of the categories instead of batting average.  Wondering bow much this changes the thinking, if any, with the 1st overall pick which I have.  Most pundits I've seen have Trout 1 and Altuve 2.  Any chance Altuve is ahead of Trout considering hits is a category or am I over thinking this?
You’re over thinking it, in my opinion. 

10 team keeper league, but not really concerned about future years...

Chris Archer or Jon Lester? Or maybe Luis Castillo as a risky play?

Lester will be on the best team. Archer is the best pitcher but the Rays won't win much.

Exit 1 said:

Lester will be on the best team. Archer is the best pitcher but the Rays won't win much.
Points or Roto?   Archer will be much better in K's and probably ERA but may lack wins.  Depends on scoring but I probably lean towards Archer since he has the most upside.

Points or Roto?   Archer will be much better in K's and probably ERA but may lack wins.  Depends on scoring but I probably lean towards Archer since he has the most upside.
Roto and we play h2h each week.

Thanks. I agree that Archer is probably the right play. He might get traded to a contender too, which would be nice.

I’d go with Lester. Will definitely win more games, and had one bad year preceded by a year w/ and ERA under 2.5. Archer has been just over 4 for the last 2 seasons. 

Exit 1 said:

Who are the other keepers?  Probably Archer for me, but if you have another elite K pitcher, Lester has the better floor.

Lester's declining stuff terrifies me, which means he will bounce back strong with a refined arsenal on someone else's team. 

MAC_32 said:
Lester's declining stuff terrifies me, which means he will bounce back strong with a refined arsenal on someone else's team. 
Yeah, not a fan of Lester. Archer has some amazing stuff. I'd go with Archer.

10team h2h 1win up to 4 keepers. 260 budget auction. Do I keep Goldy and bryant and 2 others or keep 4 others and bid for the 2 at the draft?

Goldy$46 Bryant$38
Bellinger12, rendon10, ray10, nola8, mccutchen10, Lamb6, didi4, c.martinez19, tanaka13, g.cole14, carpenter13, sano22.

Thanks

I generally don't like keeping two arms in this sort of format, but you have Bellinger, Rendon, Ray, and Nola way below cost.

Keep them, buy back the studs (or get other ones) and ignore arms until others realize they over spent on their first 7-10 players in the auction. 

I have a very good well under market AL 5x5 auction hitters lineup (Smok, Moncada, Correa, JD Martinez, Bergman and Haniger).

my 7th guy and only real pitching option is Archer, who I'm keeping.

Sale is available but will go for a TON.  With my salary numbers being very good I may have to pay the price for Sale.  If It gets out of hand and I have to pass I have no idea how I can build a rotation that can compete.  Keuchel and Tanaka are the only two "stud" starters left who are not being kept.  Biggest fear is rolling in with a Archer/Tanaka 1-2 and not be able to keep up.

Thoughts on AL starting pitching?

Miguel Cabrera have a resurgence in him?

Last keeper choice for my team (Yahoo W/L categories 5x5) is between:

Cabrera, Duvall, Quintana, and Price.

I have a very good well under market AL 5x5 auction hitters lineup (Smok, Moncada, Correa, JD Martinez, Bergman and Haniger).

my 7th guy and only real pitching option is Archer, who I'm keeping.

Sale is available but will go for a TON.  With my salary numbers being very good I may have to pay the price for Sale.  If It gets out of hand and I have to pass I have no idea how I can build a rotation that can compete.  Keuchel and Tanaka are the only two "stud" starters left who are not being kept.  Biggest fear is rolling in with a Archer/Tanaka 1-2 and not be able to keep up.

Thoughts on AL starting pitching?
The bolded confuses me - you have one top 10 arm and your backup plan has you rolling with two.  That's got to be better than most of your league.  Maybe a couple of teams are loaded, but all that does is it makes it easier for you to settle into 3rd in pitching to pair with a great lineup.

My toughest decisions are always in this league, 12-team Yahoo W/L 6x6, keep 10:

Bryant, Marte, Benintendi, Bogaerts, MiCabrera, Sano, Contreras, Smoak, Duvall, Senzel

Sale, Bumgarner, Fulmer, Bauer

My toughest decisions are always in this league, 12-team Yahoo W/L 6x6, keep 10:

Bryant, Marte, Benintendi, Bogaerts, MiCabrera, Sano, Contreras, Smoak, Duvall, Senzel

Sale, Bumgarner, Fulmer, Bauer
First 2 are easy.  Fulmer's arm is about to fall off and Duvall a) may be the 4th OF by May and b) is less valuable in 6x6 since he'll drag down both avg and obp instead of just one or the other.

It'll be unpopular, but I operate with this year > future years.  So I wouldn't keep Senzel unless I'm clearly rebuilding and I'm in a league that over values prospects.  I don't know about #2 but you're not #1, so I'd kick him to the curb...unless he's declared the opening day starter before your deadline.

That leaves Sano, Smoak, and Bauer.  I won't counter any of them, but Sano's potential suspension and leg problem are enough for me to say I don't want to deal with him (given the alternatives).  I get why someone would though.

MAC_32 said:
The bolded confuses me - you have one top 10 arm and your backup plan has you rolling with two.  That's got to be better than most of your league.  Maybe a couple of teams are loaded, but all that does is it makes it easier for you to settle into 3rd in pitching to pair with a great lineup.
Yeah it's a strange league.  Teams that win end up loaded as teams sell off low cost keeper talent for big name players.

ive done well rebuilding hitting but I've had some real dud drafts/trades with pitching so I'm being nervous.

Who to keep? in a 10-team Yahoo W/L 6x6, keep 5:

My potential keepers are: Votto (Lock), Lindor (Lock), Dozier (Lock), Will Myers, Tommy Pham, Trevor Story, Lance McCullers Jr, Edwin Diaz, Jon Lester, Ken Giles, Johnny Cueto

Who to keep? in a 10-team Yahoo W/L 6x6, keep 5:

My potential keepers are: Votto (Lock), Lindor (Lock), Dozier (Lock), Will Myers, Tommy Pham, Trevor Story, Lance McCullers Jr, Edwin Diaz, Jon Lester, Ken Giles, Johnny Cueto
Myers is a lock.  Other probably depends on the 6th pitching cat.  I like Story more than Pham, but I don't know if I like him more than McCullers (or Diaz/Giles?).

H2H Points League, Keep 10 - are the bolded pretty much a slam dunk? Any arguments for better positional split? We can only start 3 OF, 1 1B and 1 U and so one of Santana, Bellinger, Benintendi, Hoskins, Buxton or Mazara will be on the bench. Same thing with Cano, Ramirez, Sano at 2B/3B.  Knebel was RP #3 last season in this format.

• Carlos Santana
  • Robinson Cano
  • Jose Ramirez
  • Cody Bellinger
  • Andrew Benintendi
  • Rhys Hoskins
  • Byron Buxton
  • Nomar Mazara
  • Brendan Rodgers
  • Evan Longoria
  • Miguel Sano
  • Clayton Kershaw
  • David Price
  • Corey Knebel
I  have a few others who would be nice keepers in a dynasty (Meadows, CFrazier, Duffy, LWeaver but don't factor in a keep 10)

H2H Points League, Keep 10 - are the bolded pretty much a slam dunk? Any arguments for better positional split? We can only start 3 OF, 1 1B and 1 U and so one of Santana, Bellinger, Benintendi, Hoskins, Buxton or Mazara will be on the bench. Same thing with Cano, Ramirez, Sano at 2B/3B.  Knebel was RP #3 last season in this format.

• Carlos Santana
  • Robinson Cano
  • Jose Ramirez
  • Cody Bellinger
  • Andrew Benintendi
  • Rhys Hoskins
  • Byron Buxton
  • Nomar Mazara
  • Brendan Rodgers
  • Evan Longoria
  • Miguel Sano
  • Clayton Kershaw
  • David Price
  • Corey Knebel
I  have a few others who would be nice keepers in a dynasty (Meadows, CFrazier, Duffy, LWeaver but don't factor in a keep 10)
Has Price really fallen this far?  I think he rebounds in a big way this year.

Has Price really fallen this far?  I think he rebounds in a big way this year.
Agreed. Plus, I don't think he has to return to being David ####### Price to be a better value than a 4th OFer/bench guy. Unless that's a large league, those can be had on the waiver wire throughout the season.

Agreed. Plus, I don't think he has to return to being David ####### Price to be a better value than a 4th OFer/bench guy. Unless that's a large league, those can be had on the waiver wire throughout the season.
I guess it depends on how high you see the long term upside on Buxton/Mazara being and whether I'm willing to trade that off for a possible Price rebound.  :shrug:

ESPN keeper/dynasty rankings for example have Price at 173, Buxton at 54 and Mazara at 62.

I guess it depends on how high you see the long term upside on Buxton/Mazara being and whether I'm willing to trade that off for a possible Price rebound.  :shrug:

ESPN keeper/dynasty rankings for example have Price at 173, Buxton at 54 and Mazara at 62.
That's not a bad point. I wasn't really thinking about keeper/dynasty stuff. 

I just drew the 2nd pick. 12 team 5x5obp 4OF

already keeping Scherzer, Stanton, T Turner, Godley, Albies

best available are... (assuming trout taken 1st)

Kershaw

Bryant

Goldy

Rizzo

Springer

Blackmon

Who are some H2H guys that are undervalued/sleepers?  I’m Particularly interested in SPs and OFs since they are valued higher in our format.  

boom king said:
I just drew the 2nd pick. 12 team 5x5obp 4OF

already keeping Scherzer, Stanton, T Turner, Godley, Albies

best available are... (assuming trout taken 1st)

Kershaw

Bryant

Goldy

Rizzo

Springer

Blackmon
Humidor or no humidor - Goldschmidt

Users who are viewing this thread