What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Pro Football Focus compared Western Michigan WR Corey Davis to Los Angeles Chargers WR Keenan Allen.

"Similarly to Allen's, Davis’ athletic ability and speed seems limited," explains the PFF analysis team. "However, both receivers make up for this with their route-running, ball skills and ability to separate from defenders in other ways." The outlet believes that the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder "will heavily need to rely on his sharp route-running [early on] as he is unlikely to outmuscle or outrun defensive backs in the early stages of his career." An NFC national scout said at the beginning of the month that he believes that Davis has more potential as a pro than fellow first-round-wideout-to-be Mike Williams.

Source: Pro Football Focus

2017 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

2017 NFL Draft KC Chiefs Scouting Report: Corey Davis

Scouting report: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

Last edited:
Western Michigan WR Corey Davis was "a man among boys" at the MAC level, according to an AFC North scout.

"It wasn't even fair the way he did those corners in that conference," the evaluator said. It is the truth, as Davis produced over 1,400 receiving yards in three straight seasons with 46 receiving touchdowns in that same span. Davis is listed at 6-foot-3 and 215-pounds, but actually wins in the "small" receiver game in terms of creating separation, sustaining it and picking up huge chunk yards after the catch. He even runs like a ball carrier at times with the power he displays. 
Feb 8 - 9:15 AM

Source: NFL.com

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline relays that "several teams have [Western Michigan WR Corey] Davis neck-and–neck at the top of their receiver board with [Clemson WR] Mike Williams."

Unfortunately, Davis just went a minor procedure on his ankle after injuring it while training and will not be running at the NFL Scouting Combine come the end of February. Pauline writes that the injury "could not have come at a worse time." An NFC national scout recently predicted that the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Davis would eventually carve out a better NFL career than Clemson's Williams. It would be a surprise if either player dipped out of the first round once we hit the draft.

Feb 3 - 4:38 PM

Source: Draft Analyst

One NFL scout compared Western Michigan WR Corey Davis to Jordan Matthews.

"Very reliable. Very productive," the scout said. "Could go in the first round, but he's really a second." We don't see this comparison from a few viewpoints. One, Matthews is solely a slot receiver at this point in his career, Davis has thrived on the outside and projects to that spot in the NFL. Second, Matthews is not the most reliable receiver in terms of drops. Perhaps the comparison was made based on size and post catch running ability.

Source: NJ.com

I haven't watched any tape or seen him play but based on some of what I've read it sounds like Anquan Boldin might be a decent comp for Davis. Is that about right or am I way off? Boldin is one of my favorite players of all time, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. 

I haven't watched any tape or seen him play but based on some of what I've read it sounds like Anquan Boldin might be a decent comp for Davis. Is that about right or am I way off? Boldin is one of my favorite players of all time, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. 
No, doesn't remind me of Boldin at all. He reminds me of AJ Green to be honest. 

Yes, amazing he had no thread. No wonder everyone thinks the top WRs in this class are "not as talented as the past few years". They simply haven't done their homework. 

Not at all. To me he's more like Demaryius Thomas. Davis is a very fluid athlete. I think he's much faster than Boldin ever was. He looks like a 4.4 guy when I watch him and he's 6'3. Best WR in this class. 

I have NO CLUE who will be better between he and Williams. Of course i don't think I'll be in a position in many leagues to make that decision anyway ;)  

Debating Davis & Mixon with the 1.03 on a very RB-needy dynasty team.  Really, really like Davis.  Not considering Williams.

Debating Davis & Mixon with the 1.03 on a very RB-needy dynasty team.  Really, really like Davis.  Not considering Williams.
Considering Mixon may not be drafted at all and Davis is probably going to go in the first round.....I would lean towards Davis regardless of need.

What if Cook goes to Indy?

I have our draft at

1. 01 Fournette
1.02 Cook if in Indy
1.03 Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite WR coming into the league since Mike Evans.  He definitly is a man amongs boys if you watch any of his videos from this year and he's dominant in them all.  It's insane.  Maybe that's why he looked soooooooo good but still, I have my favorites every year but this guy is easily on top.   

More of a TO comp IMO. Hands aren't perfect. Physical beast. Gets a lot of separation and is lethal after the catch-knocks DBs off with a vicious stiff arm. Doesn't have great speed but certainly a lot faster than Boldin ever was. 

Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Western Michigan WR Corey Davis as the No. 1 receiver in the class.
Norris describes Davis, whom he ranks just above Clemson's Mike Williams, as a "6-foot-3 receiver who can dominate in the small game: creating separation, sustaining it and picking up yards after the catch." Davis has been one of the nation's most dominant receivers over the past few years, topping 1,400 receiving yards in three straight collegiate seasons. "Has run practically every route from the outside and the slot, both sides of the field," Norris wrote. "Big frame allows him to naturally win contested in some opportunities. Aggressive for a receiver after the catch and on final contact."

Source: Rotoworld 
Feb 22 - 5:04 PM

More of a TO comp IMO. Hands aren't perfect. Physical beast. Gets a lot of separation and is lethal after the catch-knocks DBs off with a vicious stiff arm. Doesn't have great speed but certainly a lot faster than Boldin ever was. 
You sure about that?  He looks like the fastest guy on the field when I watch him.  I'm fully expecting low 4.4s and would not be shocked to see under 4.4.  Maybe I'm way off, but that's what I see.

Loved watching this kid play at Western Michigan.  Not only is he uber talented but he has a great attitude and work ethic.  Whatever team gets him will be real lucky. 

This.

You sure about that?  He looks like the fastest guy on the field when I watch him.  I'm fully expecting low 4.4s and would not be shocked to see under 4.4.  Maybe I'm way off, but that's what I see.
My take is that speeds neither a strength nor a weakness. He's definitely torching MAC defenders, but I don't think he has NFL burner speed. I'm thinking mid 4.4

I think this is a good comparison, lot of DT when I watch him. Crazy after the catch, solid speed but he's not great tracking the ball downfield and making high point catches.

voiceofunreason said:
I think this is a good comparison, lot of DT when I watch him. Crazy after the catch, solid speed but he's not great tracking the ball downfield and making high point catches.
Good comp, but Davis looks a lot more polished that Thomas was (maybe still is).

Packers beat writer Bob McGinn spoke to one NFL scout who drew comparables between Western Michigan WR Corey Davis and Jordan Matthews.
Take a lap. We consider Davis a superior prospect to Matthews, who is solely a slot receiver with drop issues. Davis is around the same size, but there are plenty of examples where he wins from the outside and downfield, and absolutely shines after the catch. McGinn spoke to a different scout who had many more positive things to say "He’s more fluid than Michael Irvin was," the evaluator said. "Works hard. Loves football. Smart (31 on the Wonderlic intelligence test)."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Mar 7 - 8:57 AM

Western Michigan WR Corey Davis visited the Eagles on Friday.
Davis is still recovering from a minor ankle surgery, which kept him out of the school's pro day. As of now it is unknown if Davis will work out prior to the draft. Davis is a highly productive receiver who can dominate after the catch and put every route on tape for evaluators to see. He is out top-ranked receiver.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 
Mar 21 - 10:30 AM

Would like to see what's under the hood but if he fell to me at 6 or later it would be hard to pass on him even if he doesn't. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Milkman said:
Would like to see what's under the hood but I'd he fell to me at 6 or later it would be hard to pass on him even if he doesn't. 
i dont see too many scenarios where he falls that far, regardless of league format

Users who are viewing this thread