What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (2 Viewers)

If he could only stay healthy. I'm happy to have him in Dynasty, but I won't be relying on him to be a starter. Hopefully he can get in great condition and kick the injury bug. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
My biggest hang up on Robinson is that he hasn't been much since 2015. he has a significant injury history. I just dont see him doing a lot. 

most people would say robinson is 2 years older and had success in the NFL, whereas Davis hasn't really been to that level yet, so you're crazy to put Davis ahead of robinson. which has some truth to it. I see Davis' ceiling higher than robinson, and an equal floor. IMO Davis could be one of the next elite. 

I like the TN offense better. I think Davis doesnt have to fight for targets. hes the wr1 and it'll stay that way. robinson has Miller who is showing signs of being a number 1. also he has trubisky who we still dont know of hes any good. 

My biggest hang up on Robinson is that he hasn't been much since 2015. he has a significant injury history. I just dont see him doing a lot. 

most people would say robinson is 2 years older and had success in the NFL, whereas Davis hasn't really been to that level yet, so you're crazy to put Davis ahead of robinson. which has some truth to it. I see Davis' ceiling higher than robinson, and an equal floor. IMO Davis could be one of the next elite. 

I like the TN offense better. I think Davis doesnt have to fight for targets. hes the wr1 and it'll stay that way. robinson has Miller who is showing signs of being a number 1. also he has trubisky who we still dont know of hes any good. 
To top it all off, it's Robinson's first year in Chicago. The data show that free agent WRs tend to exhibit a statistical drop-off in year 1. (Note that this article was published last year. Add in the 2017 FA crop - Pryor, Jeffery, Garcon, Maclin, Decker, Britt - and the trend would look even worse.)

I like Robinson as a talent, but I would (and already have once) take Davis over him in redraft despite his lower ADP.

Bobby McCain, a 5 foot 9 inch CB, is who Fins reporters expect to cover Davis this week. 

matuski said:
Unfortunately he still relies on one of the worst passers in the league (imo).
You're wrong there and I don't mean it as a point of contention. Understand Robiske's brilliant idea was to line up the WRs next to the TE and look like an offense from 1950. Mariota had to be QB in that position and force most of his throws in 2017. Now he'll finally have a normal offense. I'm just saying give Mariota a chance in a normal set before you hold 2017 against him. I'd bet you don't think he's the worst. Maybe average maybe whatever but I doubt you'll think he's the worst. If you can be accepting of a dramatic change here, you might even have an FF trade you can pull off as well...who knows, just give the guy a chance. 

You're wrong there and I don't mean it as a point of contention. Understand Robiske's brilliant idea was to line up the WRs next to the TE and look like an offense from 1950. Mariota had to be QB in that position and force most of his throws in 2017. Now he'll finally have a normal offense. I'm just saying give Mariota a chance in a normal set before you hold 2017 against him. I'd bet you don't think he's the worst. Maybe average maybe whatever but I doubt you'll think he's the worst. If you can be accepting of a dramatic change here, you might even have an FF trade you can pull off as well...who knows, just give the guy a chance. 
Fair enough.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Davis was someone I had to draft somewhere after watching his tape. And it was simply because he's physically dominant. There were so many plays last year where opposing DBs could not tackle him alone. He would turn into a RB after the catch, dragging DBs and picking up yards through contact. I didn't watch him in college, I didn't know what his game looked like but I would find myself manically laughing as I watched several DBs fail to stop his momentum last year.

This is my favorite of those plays from last year.

The penalty in that clip is defensive holding.

There's questions about Davis' injury history, polish and whether or not he can gel with Mariota but a player with his kind of upside is exactly who I like to take shots on as a WR3. I think the reward outweighs the risk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Davis was someone I had to draft somewhere after watching his tape. And it was simply because he's physically dominant. There were so many plays last year where opposing DBs could not tackle him alone. He would turn into a RB after the catch, dragging DBs and picking up yards through contact. I didn't watch him in college, I didn't know what his game looked like but I would find myself manically laughing as I watched several DBs fail to stop his momentum last year.

There's questions about Davis' injury history, polish and whether or not he can gel with Mariota but a player with his kind of upside is exactly who I like to take shots on as a WR3. I think the reward outweighs the risk. 
Davis admitted to running poor routes playing on a bad hammy last year and...the conversation went further, just....there's probably only about half his game tapes that are typical Davis while the others are a rook trying (badly) to play through an injury

Bri said:
Bobby McCain, a 5 foot 9 inch CB, is who Fins reporters expect to cover Davis this week. 
Really? Why wouldn't it be Howard, who famously owned Parker this TC? Is McCain any good?

Davis admitted to running poor routes playing on a bad hammy last year and...the conversation went further, just....there's probably only about half his game tapes that are typical Davis while the others are a rook trying (badly) to play through an injury
I went into it with low expectations and came away impressed. Considering the fact that he missed training camp, OTAs and 5 reg season games I thought he looked good. There's obvious room for growth at least. I also think that abomination of a game vs. PIT is still kind of a fresh in everyone's mind.

Really? Why wouldn't it be Howard, who famously owned Parker this TC? Is McCain any good?
PFF seems to think it will be Howard. Davis lined up on the left 50% of the time last year and Howard lined up on the right 82% of the time. But isn't Davis supposed to move around a bit more these year regardless? I also don't know if Howard will shadow more this year. 

When I watched him in college he reminded me of T.O.  I reached for him in my keeper league as my WR2 behind Evans and I feel good about it. 

Corey Davis with 13 targets but not a lot of production. Anyone see the game, just curious on how he looked?
He caught half which is normalish for high volume guys. He ran two routes short, debatable if he'd have had two touchdowns but that's highschool stuff ending a route on the 3 and 4 yard line. Two routes aside, I thought he did well. Impressed. No one else did jack and the QBs didn't do well. 6 for 62 in an ugly bad game is probably what a star would do. Let's wait to see the good times. If he wants to be a star, he can be. He just did the grunt work, now let's see the good stuff.

and a Q designation with hamstring injury.  hopefully just a precaution but overall I'm starting to have some buyer's remorse.
the titans are not using those terms this year because Vrabel is a....they're using DNP, Limited, etc to translate into status.

I suspect it’s precautionary after he was bubble wrapped in the preseason with a few maintenance days, barely played in the games then played 91% of the snaps and saw 13 targets in that stop and start disaster Sunday. I mean he had to be warm and ready to go pretty much from 11:30 am until 7 or so. I’m sure his hamstrings were sore as hell and given his history it would be wise to rest them. As an owner with high expectations I’m still on pins and needles until I see a full day of practice Thursday or Friday. 

The NFL Week 2 Worksheet

Excerpts:

Corey Davis was targeted on 35.1 percent of his Week 1 routes, seventh for all wide receivers in Week 1.

Per Pro Football Focus, Davis had six targets from the slot Week 1. He totaled just six targets from the slot over the entirety of his rookie season a year ago.

Corey Davis (he was hardly impressive in Week 1, but 13 targets is nothing to ignore when looking at the WR3 pile of fantasy options and he’s just about all this offense has to funnel targets to outside of Lewis)

Corey Davis said his hamstring is "fine."

Davis was limited during Wednesday's practice, a concern given his history with hamstring injuries. The receiver is not concerned, however, and should be ready to face the Texans on Sunday. Coming off a 13-target opener, Davis will be a back-end WR2.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter 

Sep 13 - 12:26 PM

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 34m34 minutes ago

#Titans QB Marcus Mariota, who is dealing with a pinched nerve in his elbow, still has not regained complete feeling in his fingers, sources say. He’s going to try to play, but there is no telling how he’ll respond. That’s why Blaine Gabbert is expected to rotate in.
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 51m51 minutes ago

A Titans’ source said Saturday night that the team still had not decided who would start at quarterback Sunday vs Texans, Marcus Mariota or Blaine Gabbert. Another source said it is “likely a game-time decision, but (Mariota) still isn’t able to grip the ball normally.”
Okay Mariota, how about you sit this one out. I don't want to have to worry that my WR's QB is unable to feel the fingers in the hand that he uses to grip and throw the ball. And I'm not even sure if Gabbert is functionally worse for Davis than Mariota is even when he can feel his hands. What a #### show. 

I don't think I can sit Davis or Henry. Such a rough start so far for this team. Maybe they'll play with a lot of emotion and flip the script. Titans as a whole, I mean. It's so early in the season still. 

No Conklin, no Lewan, gimpy Mariota...Dion Lewis really looks like the only viable play for Tennessee this week. I would bench everyone else if you have reasonable options.

Mariota is going to "try to play" and Gabbert is supposed to rotate in. This makes me want to sit Davis despite not having all that great of options. This is pretty annoying. 

Adam Schefter reports it's "looking more" like Blaine Gabbert will start in Week 2 against the Texans.

Marcus Mariota (elbow) was limited in warm-ups and is still struggling to grip the football. There is no official word from the Titans just yet, but it sounds like Gabbert will be starting behind a makeshift offensive line missing both starting tackles.
Gabbert essentially only targeted Walker, Lewis and Davis in that order when he played last week. Still, this could get so ugly that I'm still staying away. 

barackdhouse said:
I don't think I can sit Davis or Henry. Such a rough start so far for this team. Maybe they'll play with a lot of emotion and flip the script. Titans as a whole, I mean. It's so early in the season still. 

corey is in my lineup over amari. it's not an easy decision, i just feel like the targets will be there.

I'm leaning Corey Davis over Sammy Watkins- not by much.  This is because of expected targets and if they can't get the run game going, they may be playing from behind.

The only part of the Titans offense I want is the Houston Defense. I'm benching Davis for Stills or Brandon Marshall on Monday Night.

3-4-MIA 45 (12:14) New QB - #7 B.Gabbert (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short right to D.Walker

1-10-TEN 25 (4:05) QB - #7 B.Gabbert D.Lewis left tackle to TEN 33 for 8 yards (C.Wake, A.Spence)

1-10-TEN 25 (4:05) QB - #7 B.Gabbert D.Lewis left tackle to TEN 33 for 8 yards (C.Wake, A.Spence)

1-10-MIA 20 :-)30) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short left to T.Sharpe (B.McCain)

3-9-MIA 19 (15:00) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short middle to C.Davis to MIA 4 for 15 yards (R.Jones).

1-10-TEN 25 (14:04) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short middle to C.Davis.

2-10-TEN 25 (14:01) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short right to D.Walker to TEN 38 for 13 yards (R.Jones).

1-18-TEN 30 (13:14) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short middle to L.Stocker to TEN 36 for 6 yards (R.McMillan, C.Allen).

2-12-TEN 36 (12:30) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short left to D.Lewis

3-12-TEN 36 (12:26) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short left to D.Lewis to TEN 42 for 6 yards (R.McMillan, R.Quinn)

2-3-50 (8:12) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short right to J.Smith.

3-3-50 (8:07) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short right to D.Lewis pushed ob at MIA 47 for 3 yards (K.Alonso).

Walker

Walker

1-10-TEN 40 (3:33) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete deep right to C.Davis

2-10-TEN 40 (3:21) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short left to D.Lewis pushed ob at TEN 43 for 3 yards (K.Alonso).

3-7-TEN 43 (3:15) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short right to C.Davis.

4-7-TEN 43 (3:11) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short left to D.Lewis

1-10-TEN 20 (1:07) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short middle to C.Davis pushed ob at TEN 38 for 18 yards (X.Howard)

1-10-TEN 38 :-)59) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short middle to J.Smith (M.Fitzpatrick)

2-10-TEN 38 :-)55) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass incomplete short middle to C.Davis

3-10-TEN 38 :-)50) (Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short middle to J.Smith to 50 for 12 yards (T.McDonald)

1-10-50 :-)32) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Gabbert pass short middle to D.Lewis to MIA 40 for 10 yards (J.Baker)

More concerned about the o-line starting three backups than I am about Gabbert.  Feels like a 5 rec/40 yards kinda game with the Titans never getting a TD all day.  

Gabbert essentially only targeted Walker, Lewis and Davis in that order when he played last week. Still, this could get so ugly that I'm still staying away. 
Gabbert only threw darts last week which was odd and why does an experienced QB look so nervous? He has to throw it deep and have some touch and do all that QBs do. That was weird.

Taylor has been a curious benching (9 snaps) for the guy that had more snaps than anyone (it has now shifted from any WR to any offensive player) this summer and the guy who had a great preseason when he was in. Vrabel talked a ton about speed this offseason and the talk from his former team has been how speedy Ellington did pretty well and speedy Will Fuller returns. I think Taylor will be a bigger part this week and he's getting clues from everywhere to play his speedy WR.

Gabbert only threw darts last week which was odd and why does an experienced QB look so nervous? He has to throw it deep and have some touch and do all that QBs do. That was weird.

Taylor has been a curious benching (9 snaps) for the guy that had more snaps than anyone (it has now shifted from any WR to any offensive player) this summer and the guy who had a great preseason when he was in. Vrabel talked a ton about speed this offseason and the talk from his former team has been how speedy Ellington did pretty well and speedy Will Fuller returns. I think Taylor will be a bigger part this week and he's getting clues from everywhere to play his speedy WR.
I wanted to start J. Smith but the OL injuries scared me away.  I would avoid the entire offense this week if you can.

Targets are steadily dropping for Davis.  It's getting harder to hold him.  With a short bench, it's getting harder to hold on to him, when Ridley, Boyd, Crabtree are on waivers.  Does anyone see the Ten offense picking up soon?

Users who are viewing this thread