What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (2 Viewers)

watched most of the game and loved what i saw. that first catch was beastly.

i'm going to have a hard time keeping this guy out of my lineup next week. he looks capable of monster games.

his stat line is legit considering this is his first game and Mariota looked a little rusty. I thought it was going to be all Matthews, Decker and Walker but this is nice to see.

He did 100% more than I thought he would. With how much time he missed I assumed he's be a lost cause for at least half the season. Glad I was proven wrong. He fell to me at pick 4 in the rookie draft and I couldn't be happier... now. Hunt went pick 6, was feeling some mild regret Friday night.

He did 100% more than I thought he would. With how much time he missed I assumed he's be a lost cause for at least half the season. Glad I was proven wrong. He fell to me at pick 4 in the rookie draft and I couldn't be happier... now. Hunt went pick 6, was feeling some mild regret Friday night.

after living through the dyno nightmare that was laquon treadwell last year, i'm most happy to just see a guy on the field and making plays even if he's not 100%.

never again will i sit back and watch a receiver basically be a healthy scratch for 6 weeks without moving him... 

glad that's not the case with corey!

Last edited by a moderator:
his stat line is legit considering this is his first game and Mariota looked a little rusty. I thought it was going to be all Matthews, Decker and Walker but this is nice to see.
FWIW

four catches. There was like a minute left and they needed two TDs but instead threw these 4-5 yard passes to him. I think he had two then.

Corey Davis played 42-of-64 snaps in the Titans' Week 1 loss to the Raiders.

Davis played fewer snaps than both Eric Decker (60) and Rishard Matthews (52), but it was a surprisingly large workload for a player who missed almost all of camp with a hamstring injury. Davis also made his presence felt, going for 69 yards on a team-high 10 targets including a highlight-reel grab on the opening drive. The most talented receiver on the team, Davis should retain a large target share even in a crowded pass-catching corps.

Mularkey said he was fatigued. Said he made an error on one route, ran it one yard was supposed to be 4,5 yards and would have been a first. 

He was not upset or concerned. Looked very pleased and spoke highly of Davis both days

Tuesday there's no practice and anyone n everyone from the Titans seems to be on the radio

The general thought is that he has a lot to improve upon but is athletic enough to make anything work in the meantime. There was a lot of gushing. Super high praise for the rook.

I'd look for the targets to go down a smidge. The targets were roughly 9,8,8,9 for Matthews, Decker, Davis, and Walker. Many thought Jonnu and Taylor would be used more. Apparently, there were some plays for Henry as a receiver that weren't used.

So my thinking is those that had Davis with super high projections despite missing camp were probably mostly right. Those of us that had him low for missing camp need to really ramp up his #s. There's gotta be a caveat to keep them sharing and spreading the ball to everyone though.

bummed I missed out on this guy, he's the real deal and ten has a player. 

it a interesting though because in other threads where a player had a big week 1 game people are saying, "yeah well the defense didn't plan for him so now they will" but no one saying that here. I think that is a ridiculous point (as if coaches can't change game plan during the game), but it's interesting how some players are considered flukes and others people get excited over. fwiw I am excited about Davis and bummed he was taken a few ahead of me

bummed I missed out on this guy, he's the real deal and ten has a player. 

it a interesting though because in other threads where a player had a big week 1 game people are saying, "yeah well the defense didn't plan for him so now they will" but no one saying that here. I think that is a ridiculous point (as if coaches can't change game plan during the game), but it's interesting how some players are considered flukes and others people get excited over. fwiw I am excited about Davis and bummed he was taken a few ahead of me
Draft pedigree has alot to do with this comment.

Draft pedigree has alot to do with this comment.
Yes, but I feel like people have had this discussion in these forums for years "well ____ was a 7th round draft pick" "____ was a first round draft pick 2 years ago and he's out of football" 

I believe, during the preseason, Davis was listed 3rd on the depth chart. For some reason I feel like I read this in draft dominator or something on his player profile that he might not be ready for WR1 duties. Maybe I'm thinking someone else... but regardless it's interesting to see people jump all over a top draft pick and hitch their ride to it but a guy with a different draft pedigree has his cheerios being peed all over... FWIW my opinion is once the season starts draft pedigree goes out the window... if a guy is talented and is getting the ball, he's a guy I want to  :blackdot:

This is an interesting scenario. On one hand, Davis really popped off the screen, he looks like a stud in the making. I mean, his first NFL reception was a highlight reel grab. On the other, there really are that many mouths to feed in this offense. I thought Mathews looked good, I'm pretty sure he's still underrated. Decker looked rusty but was still targeted a bunch and lead the trio in snaps (94%). And of course, Walker is still solid and the person Mariota is most familiar with. There's also a question as to whether everyone's target totals (Davis 10, Decker 9, Mathews 9, Walker 8) are sustainable. Last Sunday was only the 4th time Mariota attempted 40+ passes in 28 career starts. I know the TEN's off season moves pointed towards throwing more but will it be enough to sustain all four of these guys?

At least this week, I would sit Davis (and everyone else outside of Walker). Mariota has struggled mightily vs. JAC on the road and that was before JAC had this much talent on defense. TEN will probably opt to take the air out of the ball and in conjunction with Davis likely drawing Ramsey, I don't think Davis is going to be set up to turn in a solid fantasy performance. 

Great link thank you.
You're welcome 

Here is my cliffs notes for anyone that doesn't have 10 minutes to watch.

--- awesome he highlight reel catch down the sideline most guys in the league couldn't make, much less stay in bounds. 

--- short gainer where he made two guys whiff before the rest of the defense converged on him. 

--- another superb grab after a nifty move on the defender to get open. 

--- little comeback route he had the presence of mind to do when Mariota got some heat. 

I guess he had a couple of other dump offs in garbage time they didn't show. 

I guess from some posts I've seen he wasn't even drafted in some leagues which blows my mind. If you did some DD you didn't need the combine or preseason to see his talent. It's on real NFL game film now. 6th round pick for me. 

--- short gainer where he made two guys whiff before the rest of the defense converged on him. 

don't forget one was a one yard route he was supposed to run 4-5 yards as it was 3rd and 4. I'm guessing it's this one by your text. D's are gonna give him a one yard pass on 3rd and 4 too. 

My curiosity hopes Ramsey covers him because I want to see that.

As a Titans fan, I also think the Titans should just avoid Ramsey and throw to everyone else. Why bother with the weapons they have

SameSongNDance said:
This is an interesting scenario. On one hand, Davis really popped off the screen, he looks like a stud in the making. I mean, his first NFL reception was a highlight reel grab. On the other, there really are that many mouths to feed in this offense. I thought Mathews looked good, I'm pretty sure he's still underrated. Decker looked rusty but was still targeted a bunch and lead the trio in snaps (94%). And of course, Walker is still solid and the person Mariota is most familiar with. There's also a question as to whether everyone's target totals (Davis 10, Decker 9, Mathews 9, Walker 8) are sustainable. Last Sunday was only the 4th time Mariota attempted 40+ passes in 28 career starts. I know the TEN's off season moves pointed towards throwing more but will it be enough to sustain all four of these guys?

At least this week, I would sit Davis (and everyone else outside of Walker). Mariota has struggled mightily vs. JAC on the road and that was before JAC had this much talent on defense. TEN will probably opt to take the air out of the ball and in conjunction with Davis likely drawing Ramsey, I don't think Davis is going to be set up to turn in a solid fantasy performance. 
I definitely believe that if a guy is a stud, the ''mouths to feed'' argument goes out the window. When a guy is better than other players at the same position on his team by a long shot, they get their fill, and everyone else fights over scraps.  

Basically, the argument goes like this:  If Rishard Matthews is a threat to his touches, he's not that good.  

I don't have a strong opinion on redraft, but as far as dynasty, when a rookie comes in after being injured for pretty much the last 6 months, and steps on the field looking like the best WR on a good team, you have to feel good as an owner.  

Rewatching on Game Pass for those that missed the game:

Targets:

• Runs sideline route vs Amerson, well-covered, Mariota throws it up, plucks the ball over Amerson's head for 23 yard gain.  Pretty sexy.
  • Catches short drag route vs. soft zone, slips two tacklers, fights off third.  Short gain.
  • In tight, runs an outside hitch that he sold as a corner route, turning Amerson around.  Easy 11 yard gain.
  • Three wides to one side, he's in slot.  Runs a little inside out shimmy, for a short pass and nice gain, vs. TJ Carrie.  11 yards.  
  • Same three wides to one side, he's on outside.  Runs a deep hitch, Mariota throws outside, he turns inside.  Incomplete.  
  • Lined up all the way wide left, runs corner route, covered by Smith, Nelson helping over the top.  Mariota essentially throws it away.
  • Lined up wide left, outside of Decker.  Runs short inside route, found a spot in the zone.  Incomplete, Mariota looked like he was expecting him to sit down, but there was def more space further inside. Communication stuff.  
  • Wide left by himself, trips right. Play designed to go elsewhere, Mack pressures Mariota, Davis drifts back to help him out, gets a dumpoff.
  • Lined up in the middle of trips right, settles into middle of the field, catches a little pass in front of a soft zone.
  • Lined up outside left in 4 wides, another miscommunication, short pass goes outside, he breaks inside on short route.

They lined him up all over the place.

Yes, but I feel like people have had this discussion in these forums for years "well ____ was a 7th round draft pick" "____ was a first round draft pick 2 years ago and he's out of football" 

i mean this is fair, but take a gander at receivers drafted in the top 5 or 7. i only found one real bust going back about 10 years and that was heyward-bey and consensus at the time was the raiders really, really reached on him.

cooper, sammy, mike evans, julio, AJ were all WR1s or WR2s.

calvin johnson and blackmon struggled some, but were still a reliable WR3.

i'd put decent money that corey davis produces like a WR2 this year while healthy based on history and what we saw of him in limited snaps on sunday.

i mean this is fair, but take a gander at receivers drafted in the top 5 or 7. i only found one real bust going back about 10 years and that was heyward-bey and consensus at the time was the raiders really, really reached on him.

cooper, sammy, mike evans, julio, AJ were all WR1s or WR2s.

calvin johnson and blackmon struggled some, but were still a reliable WR3.

i'd put decent money that corey davis produces like a WR2 this year while healthy based on history and what we saw of him in limited snaps on sunday.
I agree. I think Corey Davis is going to be a star. I was just referencing other players who were not top 1-2 round picks that are doing well and people are pessimistic. Your point is a valid one, that Davis has a better chance of working out since history is in his favor.

Interesting... I remember several years ago the whole thing was not to take a WR round 1 because of the bust factor. Now, as you showed, as long as you don't reach for a WR you're sitting with a pretty good player. 

My curiosity hopes Ramsey covers him because I want to see that.

As a Titans fan, I also think the Titans should just avoid Ramsey and throw to everyone else. Why bother with the weapons they have
I would not be worried about Ramsey if I were you.  Mariota owned Ramsey when they played against each other in the Rose Bowl and he has done very well against him in the NFL.

I would not be worried about Ramsey if I were you.  Mariota owned Ramsey when they played against each other in the Rose Bowl and he has done very well against him in the NFL.
Matthews was 4 for 38 the first time the Titans played the Jags

Mariota only threw for 99 yards last game

Rose Bowl didn't help him last year

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthews was 4 for 38 the first time the Titans played the Jags

Mariota only threw for 99 yards last game

Rose Bowl didn't help him last year
I'm sure you know the reason he only threw for 99 yards that game was because that was the game where he hurt his ankle and was knocked out for the season.

I know we both love Mariota, hopefully Davis can be an elite WR.  I think he can.

As special as he looked last week, he looked like a typical rookie having an off week this week. Couldn't shake Jags excellent coverage

CBS blurb

Titans coach Mike Mularkey acknowledged that Davis is dealing with a hamstring injury, freelance sports writer John Glennon reports.

Davis returned to Sunday's 37-16 win over Jacksonville after suffering the injury, but he finished with only one catch for four yards on three targets. His ability to play through the issue suggests it isn't too serious, but it sounds as if he'll still be on the injury report ahead of a difficult Week 3 matchup with the Seahawks. The Titans may be pressed for depth if Davis isn't ready, as fellow rookie wideout Taywan Taylor suffered an ankle injury during Sunday's win. Taylor also returned to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread