What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (1 Viewer)

What changes next year to allow for Davis to breakout?
Not sure if it will help or hurt him but the Titans are going to pursue WR's very aggressively this off-season. To the point I'd normally just conclude they are going to obtain a WR to possibly threaten Davis for WR1 on the team or at worst a solid 1B option to Davis but it's a weak FA class and draft class for WR's so not the year you might get what you want at WR.  Titans were heavy on trade talks for Cooper and Tate,  Titans are fully aware of their shortcomings at WR, and were aware of it when they used such a high pick on Davis. 

Honestly this worries me a little but maybe it helps. Another quality receiver along with return of Delanie could open up the offense more and take some attention away from Davis. Could address the issue of lack of overall passing attempts to some degree. But a low volume passing offense increasing the comp is not usually a situation I like to see.

The fact that they think WR is the problem says it all. Love Corey, but can't see him even approaching his upside in Tennessee.

The fact that they think WR is the problem says it all. Love Corey, but can't see him even approaching his upside in Tennessee.
Maybe,  the Chiefs as an example aggressively pursued and paid Watkins but not because they thought less of Hill.

I've not been able to get out of my head something I read back in late August from a Titan beat writer. One day watching practice he commented that like most of the training camp the WR's inability to get any separation is a big problem.  I'm a Corey Davis dynasty investor so when I read that and later thought about that comment when the reports of Titans hunting for WR help started coming out I wanted to convince myself that it's the WR's other then Corey Davis that can't separate,  that's why they are so aggressively pursuing help. But that beat writer never said the WR's OTHER then Corey Davis are struggling to separate.

Maybe,  the Chiefs as an example aggressively pursued and paid Watkins but not because they thought less of Hill.

I've not been able to get out of my head something I read back in late August from a Titan beat writer. One day watching practice he commented that like most of the training camp the WR's inability to get any separation is a big problem.  I'm a Corey Davis dynasty investor so when I read that and later thought about that comment when the reports of Titans hunting for WR help started coming out I wanted to convince myself that it's the WR's other then Corey Davis that can't separate,  that's why they are so aggressively pursuing help. But that beat writer never said the WR's OTHER then Corey Davis are struggling to separate.
The Chiefs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tennessee in terms of coaching and QB play, which is my point. Also, they they needed to replace their #2 WR in Albert Wilson.

It isn't too surprising that the defense won in camp (they have a pretty good one, much better than their offense), but the vast majority of articles I read about Davis during camp were positive. I'm not saying he's a top 5 WR or anything, but he (and their WR position in general) is not the problem. Until they fix the coaching and QB play (which may be intertwined), we'll never get to see his potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans didn't go after Amari. Rob Moore was his coach and raved so they offered a later pick and were turned away. As I hear it most teams threw a late pick at the Raiders.

The Cowboys seem to be the only team that really went after him with the capital to make it.

The Titans are waiting and seeing on their WRs. When LaFleur discussed an apology of sorts to Taywan, he was clear in how he liked this group.

Taywan, Corey, and Tajae have has good days against elite corners. Thats like a checkmark that they're all capable but the issue is if they can do it week to week.

JRob and Vrabel discussed how Corey has coverage shifted to him now and its like the last test for a WR1. Henry's success interrupted this but they need to pass and see if Corey can hack it. 

Batson they love. I don't but who cares, he's a 4. Jennings is beyond useful so an excellent 5. 

It circles back to a bad offense and will the OC return

The Chiefs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tennessee in terms of coaching and QB play, which is my point. Also, they they needed to replace their #2 WR in Albert Wilson.

It isn't too surprising that the defense won in camp (they have a pretty good one, much better than their offense), but the vast majority of articles I read about Davis during camp were positive. I'm not saying he's a top 5 WR or anything, but he (and their WR position in general) is not the problem. Until they fix the coaching and QB play (which may be intertwined), we'll never get to see his potential.
No I don't get your point on coaching or QB as that relates to wanting another WR and how that implies they feel about Davis.

I actually see nothing wrong in the least with the coaching, not in the least.  Mariotta needs to play better and part of that is him being healthier and another part of that might be better weapons, but his consistency is sorely lacking.

Titans didn't go after Amari. Rob Moore was his coach and raved so they offered a later pick and were turned away. As I hear it most teams threw a late pick at the Raiders.

The Cowboys seem to be the only team that really went after him with the capital to make it.
Either these reports are wrong or everything in your post above is, I know where I side.

David Moore, a 20 year beat writer for the Cowboys and Dallas Morning News wrote an article saying the Titans offered a first with condition that Raiders swap seconds.  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/11/05/amari-cooper-makes-cowboys-debut-mnf-close-come-wearing-tennessee-uniform

Multiple reports say the Eagles offered a second. Read an article last week  that a few teams offered a second round pick in 2019 or a first round pick in 2020. Article here: https://theathletic.com/713345/2018/12/13/amari-cooper-says-mark-davis-ordered-his-trade-heres-that-story-and-other-notes/

No I don't get your point on coaching or QB as that relates to wanting another WR and how that implies they feel about Davis.

I actually see nothing wrong in the least with the coaching, not in the least.  Mariotta needs to play better and part of that is him being healthier and another part of that might be better weapons, but his consistency is sorely lacking.
If Davis was on the Chiefs and not performing under Reid and Mahomes that would be a heck of a lot more damning, I don't see how that's disputable. Not getting it done under a QB who has been mediocre at best and a rookie coaching staff that wishes it was mediocre is a very different thing. Underperforming coaches are always clamoring for more playmakers, that way they can point the finger at something besides their own deficiencies.

You're literally the first person I've heard say they see nothing wrong in the least with the offensive coaching in Tennessee. I thought that was pretty much universally accepted.

I guess but-

32nd in attempts the seahawks- 31 TDs

30th Dolphins- 24 TDs

29th the Saints- 31 TDs

So the three closest teams to the Titans in attempts averages 29TDs.

Perhaps the number of attempts not the issue?
That's just a random occurrence. 31 passing TDs = tied for 3rd most in the league. It is extremely rare that a team would rank in the bottom 4 in passing attempts and top 4 in passing TDs. Weird that it happened like that, but trying to draw conclusions from an aberration is a fool's errand. The actual average passing TDs for all 32 teams is 23, so saying the 3 closest teams in passing attempts are averaging 29 TD is intentionally misleading.

Hell, I dug a little deeper and it's not even true. The Saints (457) rank 25th in pass attempts. In reality, Arizona (430) and Buffalo (432) rank 29th and 28th. So if you want to average the 4 teams surrounding Tennessee in attempts you get (31+24+13+9)/4 = 19.25 passing TDs/team. 

On the year, NFL teams average 1 passing TD per 20.86 attempts. Tennessee is currently at 29.38. Should be some regression to the mean next season because, prior to this disastrous season, Mariota averaged 1 passing TD per 21.98 attempts. 

If Davis was on the Chiefs and not performing under Reid and Mahomes that would be a heck of a lot more damning, I don't see how that's disputable. Not getting it done under a QB who has been mediocre at best and a rookie coaching staff that wishes it was mediocre is a very different thing. Underperforming coaches are always clamoring for more playmakers, that way they can point the finger at something besides their own deficiencies.

You're literally the first person I've heard say they see nothing wrong in the least with the offensive coaching in Tennessee. I thought that was pretty much universally accepted.
Still not getting your point. Sorry. My point is simply that just because a team feels they need to add a WR does not mean they don't like a certain WR on the team, the need to add a WR should not be considered an indictment of how they feel about Davis whether he is performing at a high level or not.

As for Titans coaching not sure what people expect with an injury riddled OL, most trusted weapon in passing game out,  Mariotta with nerve damage for much of the season and up until a few weeks ago a mediocre group of RB's who were not running well.   I never try and speak for other people, but safe to say I don't live in the universe where I think that is due to poor coaching.

That's just a random occurrence. 31 passing TDs = tied for 3rd most in the league. It is extremely rare that a team would rank in the bottom 4 in passing attempts and top 4 in passing TDs. Weird that it happened like that, but trying to draw conclusions from an aberration is a fool's errand. The actual average passing TDs for all 32 teams is 23, so saying the 3 closest teams in passing attempts are averaging 29 TD is intentionally misleading.

Hell, I dug a little deeper and it's not even true. The Saints (457) rank 25th in pass attempts. In reality, Arizona (430) and Buffalo (432) rank 29th and 28th. So if you want to average the 4 teams surrounding Tennessee in attempts you get (31+24+13+9)/4 = 19.25 passing TDs/team. 

On the year, NFL teams average 1 passing TD per 20.86 attempts. Tennessee is currently at 29.38. Should be some regression to the mean next season because, prior to this disastrous season, Mariota averaged 1 passing TD per 21.98 attempts. 
I'm guessing that when I checked that list it was before Monday's game, thus, explaining the Saints ranking.  i wasn't trying to call you out, just trying to say that an efficient QB can still throw TDs in a relatively low volume offense.

Per your Mariota comment, his terrible TD% this year, is better than than last year, when he threw a TD every 34.8 attempts, where the only people he was better than were Brissett, Hundley, Kizer, Trubisky, Beathard.  This year, he's better than Flacco, Keenum, Rosen, Alex Smith and Josh Allen.  A real murderer's row.

Is one year a blip, but two years a pattern?

Still not getting your point. Sorry. My point is simply that just because a team feels they need to add a WR does not mean they don't like a certain WR on the team, the need to add a WR should not be considered an indictment of how they feel about Davis whether he is performing at a high level or not.

As for Titans coaching not sure what people expect with an injury riddled OL, most trusted weapon in passing game out,  Mariotta with nerve damage for much of the season and up until a few weeks ago a mediocre group of RB's who were not running well.   I never try and speak for other people, but safe to say I don't live in the universe where I think that is due to poor coaching.
I thought when you said you were worried because they were pursuing another WR and the poor reports from camp it was because they weren't happy with him. If it was just about his FF value then scratch that.

In any event, we can agree to disagree about the coaching.

Ned Ryerson said:
I'm guessing that when I checked that list it was before Monday's game, thus, explaining the Saints ranking.  i wasn't trying to call you out, just trying to say that an efficient QB can still throw TDs in a relatively low volume offense.

Per your Mariota comment, his terrible TD% this year, is better than than last year, when he threw a TD every 34.8 attempts, where the only people he was better than were Brissett, Hundley, Kizer, Trubisky, Beathard.  This year, he's better than Flacco, Keenum, Rosen, Alex Smith and Josh Allen.  A real murderer's row.

Is one year a blip, but two years a pattern?
I'm no Mariota truther. I'm just trying to figure out if Davis is worth investing in or if he's going to be a WR3 for the next 3 years. 

Looking at the stats, part of what hurt Mariota last year was that he ran in 5 TDs. A guy like Rivers probably tosses short TDs to Gates or somebody. I try not to hold rushing TDs against QBs when possible. But like I said, I'm not trying to make excuses for Mariota. I've got no Mariota shares on my teams. 

humpback said:
I thought when you said you were worried because they were pursuing another WR and the poor reports from camp it was because they weren't happy with him. If it was just about his FF value then scratch that.
Just to clarify I would not go so far as to say they are not happy with him  because I do think he is a massive part of their future plans  but I think they might be disappointed that he's not living up to 5th overall pick expectations and it's possible they think he would be better served right now as more of the number 2 of paired with another #1 type or with a Cooper type where you could argue who is the #1.  If either of these are true it's not really damning to his long term outlook or how they view him, he is still pretty young and making a huge transition in level of comp and he is good already, he just may not be considered #1 WR kind of good by Titans.

My worry stems from a low volume passing offense making a significant addition and reducing an already small pie so yes it's FF value.

Just to clarify I would not go so far as to say they are not happy with him  because I do think he is a massive part of their future plans  but I think they might be disappointed that he's not living up to 5th overall pick expectations and it's possible they think he would be better served right now as more of the number 2 of paired with another #1 type or with a Cooper type where you could argue who is the #1.  If either of these are true it's not really damning to his long term outlook or how they view him, he is still pretty young and making a huge transition in level of comp and he is good already, he just may not be considered #1 WR kind of good by Titans.

My worry stems from a low volume passing offense making a significant addition and reducing an already small pie so yes it's FF value.
You're going too far off of one beat reporter saying no one created separation one day in camp. Ryan Adoree and Butler aren't chumps nor is Byard. To carry it this long and now project trades...it just lacks all this context of the rest of the time.

menobrown said:
Either these reports are wrong or everything in your post above is, I know where I side.

David Moore, a 20 year beat writer for the Cowboys and Dallas Morning News wrote an article saying the Titans offered a first with condition that Raiders swap seconds.  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/11/05/amari-cooper-makes-cowboys-debut-mnf-close-come-wearing-tennessee-uniform

Multiple reports say the Eagles offered a second. Read an article last week  that a few teams offered a second round pick in 2019 or a first round pick in 2020. Article here: https://theathletic.com/713345/2018/12/13/amari-cooper-says-mark-davis-ordered-his-trade-heres-that-story-and-other-notes/
The word later is not wrong. A 2nd is worth a whole lot less than a first. This is not FF.

I'm gonna believe JRob on the radio. He could lie, so could Jerry Jones but...gotta go with what they say.

You're going too far off of one beat reporter saying no one created separation one day in camp. Ryan Adoree and Butler aren't chumps nor is Byard. To carry it this long and now project trades...it just lacks all this context of the rest of the time.
Was not going off one beat writer, I just relayed something one beat writer said. Big difference.

The word later is not wrong. A 2nd is worth a whole lot less than a first. This is not FF.

I'm gonna believe JRob on the radio. He could lie, so could Jerry Jones but...gotta go with what they say.
That is some weak backtracking. You said a late pick, not later,  no one calls a second round pick a late pick. No one. That's what you said, own it, don't twist it.

Believe who you want but does make my information wrong.

That is some weak backtracking. You said a late pick, not later,  no one calls a second round pick a late pick. No one. That's what you said, own it, don't twist it.

Believe who you want but does make my information wrong.
It's 2018, everyone goes by Jimmy's chart and other variations. A second round pick is worth HALF of a first. Keep talking like they're the same

Edit to add, it's less than half 

In August at one practice and you're here in December rationalizing it for a reason...oy
Like I said, if you paid attention, I relayed what one beat writer said but that was not sole source of information. Sounds like "Mr. Titan's" panties are in the wad because he gave he gave out bad information. It's a big connected world now.

It's 2018, everyone goes by Jimmy's chart and other variations. A second round pick is worth HALF of a first. Keep talking like they're the same

Edit to add, it's less than half 
A it's 2018 and people no longer go by Jimmy's chart especially since significant changes have occurred with rookie pay since that charts adoption and B that is not what you said, you said a late pick. Second round picks are not late picks, you know this.

Like I said, if you paid attention, I relayed what one beat writer said but that was not sole source of information. Sounds like "Mr. Titan's" panties are in the wad because he gave he gave out bad information. It's a big connected world now.
Alrighty then...

A it's 2018 and people no longer go by Jimmy's chart especially since significant changes have occurred with rookie pay since that charts adoption and B that is not what you said, you said a late pick. Second round picks are not late picks, you know this.
var·i·a·tion

/ˌverēˈāSH(ə)n/

noun

a change or difference in condition, amount, or level, typically with certain limits.

"regional variations in house prices"

synonyms:difference, dissimilarity; More

a different or distinct form or version of something.

"hurling is an Irish variation of field hockey"

synonyms:variant, form, alternative form; More

Lots of back and forth... Can we just agree that Mariotta/coaching is the problem?

I do believe Mariotta has been a big part of the problem but feel like coaching staff is dealing with cards they were dealt but I don't think Davis should be absolved. Again I think he is good, I believe he will develop into an #1 WR in real life, but he's not there yet.  Volume helps a lot but he's got to do better with targets and for sure he's not throwing to himself but Rishard Mathews last year had similar production to what Davis has right now on 13 less targets so it's not as easy to just say he needs the volume. 

Corey Davis sealed 3-of-5 targets for 45 yards in the Titans' Week 16 win over Washington.

Davis actually got more looks (5) than fellow wideout Taywan Taylor (3), but he ultimately busted again with merely 45 yards. It's actually the fourth straight game that Davis has failed to record more than three catches or 50 yards receiving. Given Tennessee's propensity to rely on the running game, Davis will be a cross-your-fingers WR3 against the Colts in Week 17 if Blaine Gabbert is still under center for Marcus Mariota (stinger).

Dec 22 - 8:10 PM

I think Taywan is better- at what he does- and Corey's still gotta figure that mindset out. 

Corey gets shut down by top corners or held to low games while Taylor plays like he could care less who is covering him.

Taylor is not big and strong and there's aspects to Corey's game that Taylor just can't do but Corey has to develop that same mindset. 

That said, the game plan was awful as it's been often this year. 8 in the box, so Taylor spent the first half blocking on several pass plays. Davis seems to love a slant and the prior staff used to throw him one or two to get him going, then maybe a sideline route so he can use his bod to box out. LaFleur ran him right across the middle, right into the traffic. When he got it going, they went away from him. The OC just doesn't get it or care to understand how players tick.

Vrabel singled out Davis for some great blocks after the game. Surely that's what JRob envisioned when he drafted him 5th overall.

Months ago, it was suggested that Davis might just assume Delanie's role when he lined up as a slot WR. They didn't do this but that would have been a smart idea for the young beast. He knows how to use his bod, has no trouble muscling defenders, saw Delanie do it a zillion times, he could have done those curls that seem ultra simple but are really about positioning, concentration, and strength. 8?10? snaps per game. That would have probably helped bring out the right mindset or confidence in him too.

Mike Williams seems to have high confidence and then little confidence too. He's going through something similar. They have elite athleticism when there's a hop to their step and they could probably take any CB but they often look like they're working too hard and struggling to get open the other times.

Lots of back and forth... Can we just agree that Mariotta/coaching is the problem?
I think it's a mixed bag.  The Titans obviously want to run the ball, and that will limit his chances.  Mariotta isn't going to be the QB that you pick up his 3rd and 4th WR because of the upside.  No one's grabbing Valdez-Scantling if he's a Titan.  

That said, I don't think Davis is a dominant receiver in his own right.  He shows flashes.  He's obviously got the build.  If he's playing with Rodgers or Brees, you love him.  But he's not Hopkins or Josh Gordon where he can go out there and dominate with a bad QB.  If Hopkins were on the Titans, I think he produces

Last game was sort of a microcosm of his season it seemed. We got to see him match up against a very good cb, his qb get injured, and a lack of volume. I thought Davis looked good individually- big, strong, fast. Routes were solid. He made a nice concentration grab on a tipped ball his first target. Norman followed him most of the game and he didn’t seem to have much trouble separating. He was open again for a 10-15 yard gain on a slant but the ball got knocked down at the line. He was open for another 10-15 yards on a 3rd down play but Gabbert put the ball into the dirt.

Now the bad- the Titans seem capable and more than happy to run run run and play defense against most teams. That to me is a big difference between when Gordon and Hopkins played with turd qbs. Those guys were getting peppered with targets as their teams were losing and forced to throw. Now I don’t think he has the pure talent of Hopkins or 22 year old Gordon but those situations were very different. And then of course there’s the qb situation with Mariota not taking leaps in his development and dealing with injuries 3 different times this year. How many of Corey’s targets have come from Gabbert or a gimpy Mariota? 25% or more? That’s a big issue. 

And then there’s the CBs he’s faced: Tre White, Xavien, Ramsey (2x), Byron Jones, Gilmore, Norman, Jenkins, Hayward, Bmore secondary of Smith/Humphrey. Some of those guys are good and some are lock down and I realize maybe some don’t shadow all game and there will be zone coverages and the like so it’s not always against the top corner but he saw a lot of them. He’s not the alpha stud wr yet where the coaches can feel good about him beating those guys regularly if they're shadowing him so it probably makes sense to go elsewhere with targets. He seems to be drawing number 1 wr coverage while not getting number 1 wr targets, not getting anything close to efficient enough qb play, and probably not being good enough yet to be a true 1.

Thoughts on him for next season?  For all the hype this year--I don't really like him at all going into next season.

Mariotta isn't going to be the QB who has an elite WR1.  Mariotta also can't stay healthy.  You're about having to bank on the Titans backup QB for games if you're drafting him.  I've got him around WR29/30, and that feels insane.  But the situation just isn't fantasy friendly for a WR.

Thoughts on him for next season?  For all the hype this year--I don't really like him at all going into next season.

Mariotta isn't going to be the QB who has an elite WR1.  Mariotta also can't stay healthy.  You're about having to bank on the Titans backup QB for games if you're drafting him.  I've got him around WR29/30, and that feels insane.  But the situation just isn't fantasy friendly for a WR.
Let's see who they hire as OC

Just got done reading a scathing report on Rob Moore and Corey Davis. Scout took predraft reviews and videos to show that Davis is the same player he was in college with zero improvement. He showed the same mistakes from his junior year in college. Re Matt Lafleur's play design- either he isn't aware of what Corey does well, doesn't care, or thinks he's improved. He blamed the lack of improvement on Moore, naturally.

Taywan was one of his top WRs and continues to be. He did the same dance as Titans fans have done for two years now- he's the best WR in preseason so why not use him as such in the regular season. He had videos of highlight reel catches of every route in the route tree.

His conclusion was the Titans need to have a discussion with Rob Moore. Did he teach Corey? Try other ways to teach? If the answers are yes, then the Titans should trade Corey because he's not trying to get better.

Now I think he is. I think I can see improvement but my goodness is it creepy when he shows the exact same mistakes on the exact same route with just a different uniform on.

FWIW, I offered the 1.12 and two mid 2nds for him in a super flex. I like the guy but wouldn't pay more than that. 

The counter was the 1.03 and my 2020 1st (I'd have a decent team if my WRs develop) plus Pettis. 

Somewhere between the two is probably right. I think closer to late firsts. 

Disappointing so far and not sure what to think going forward. TEN offense continues to be a huge question mark, a once promising young QB continues to provide more questions than answers, and although Davis was able to stay on the field his production was too spotty to trust. I was really hoping he would fill my dynasty roster as a solid WR3 but never felt good about starting him. If Delanie comes back and someone else steps up (Taylor, draftpick/FA) he could even take a step back in production next year. He appeared to have a chance to be the focal point this year and was unimpressive. Not all of that is his fault but I expected more from what I thought was a rising star. Now his value is locked in the “hold” category as nobody really wants to pay anything for a big question mark who actually has more downside going into next year than he did at the beginning of this season.

anyone selling? I am considering asking for 1.10 and a 2020 1st... not sure if that is reasonable. I feel like it is as his potential is still there but @Bri reporting that he was making the same rookie mistakes in year 2 has me very concerned. That and the fact that I have several budding wrs (Sutton, Gallup, Miller, Washington, Godwin plus picks 1-3, 7) makes him possible trade bait, but also doesnt because I'm not terribly deep with established talent

anyone selling?
A few times I thought of offering him up but going a different direction and trying to buy low on Antonio Brown on thought process that AB has 3-4 big time seasons left and not sure if Corey will ever be a  WR1. But I'm so age averse I've not been able to do it, yet anyway. If Mariotta was not suffering from so many injuries last year I think I'd have caved but now I feel like I'm just selling low and want to give him a chance with a healthy Mariotta.  Saying that this approach could backfire as I feel strongly the Titans will be making a major WR addition and depending on type and quality of that WR it could really lower his market value even more.

Still think he's got plenty of talent (can be a #1 WR real life and FF IMO), but not optimistic at all about the situation.

I feel strongly the Titans will be making a major WR addition and depending on type and quality of that WR it could really lower his market value even more.
I agree as well. I see them grabbing a WR within the first 3 rounds or making a big signing. I dont see that offense as one that is explosive enough to produce multiple fantasy relevant pass catchers.

I feel like 1.10 and a 2020 1st is selling somewhat fair right now. especially if that 2020 pick is top 5

Not sure. everytime I think of selling him I go back to the 3rd year wr rule and his huge potential

anyone selling? I am considering asking for 1.10 and a 2020 1st... not sure if that is reasonable. I feel like it is as his potential is still there but @Bri reporting that he was making the same rookie mistakes in year 2 has me very concerned. That and the fact that I have several budding wrs (Sutton, Gallup, Miller, Washington, Godwin plus picks 1-3, 7) makes him possible trade bait, but also doesnt because I'm not terribly deep with established talent
I expect them to trade a WR possibly before they sign one. Most people talk pretty highly about Taylor and Davis relative to their actual stats and that's the perfect time to trade. 

One of the things about taking over a team and coaching/teaching, is that year two is generally far better than year one. Rob doesn't look good that Amari did better in Dallas but I don't think he has detractors in TEN. That one scout but...that's one and there are so many writers and reporters nowadays.

The common sentiments are to blame LaFleur, think Vrabel was a fool for how he treated Rishard, and then how Marcus oh so sorely missed Delanie and Rishard, so the Titans will add a veteran with sure hands.  There are a good number of slot WRs available so many jump to them signing one. They did make an offer for Tate so him too.

I've watched the Titans a lot on gamepass since the season closed. A lot of times, rewatching and being able to pause and...I wind up changing my opinion of players or seeing something I didn't before.

Taylor isn't looked at much by Mariota. Unless it's like peripheral vision, his head is not looking that way oh so many times. LaFleur's apology really makes me angry now. It looks like he had Marcus only using half the field. Taylor is so quick. I mean maybe even Tyreek Hill quick or some 3rd down back. He's like a ping pong ball or pinball. I don't know how the  he can change direction and not lose speed. At the snap, he's working and good luck keeping up with him. He still uses that speed like AB, you think he's running as fast as he can, then the ball is in the air and somehow he has a fifth gear to go get it and the CB is totally caught off guard by that fifth gear. He does it against name CBs and the guy just does his thing with no fear. If the play, the timing, is a little off, he won't catch it- ever! He doesn't use his body well, the S or CB always gets to the ball. Against a zone, he doesn't run and sit. He looks like a fourth grader you told to stand still. He's there but he's kind of moving around. He does this fake where he puts both hands to one side and runs the other. Everyone falls for it and he never once got a pass off it. He slows at the QB to take reverses and loses that speed he generated.

Davis became a mean blocker this year and kudos to him for that. However, if a CB stepped up and out of his path, he didn't go get him. He didn't go get a safety or backer or "make himself useful" and that was real annoying because the back will be coming his way and he's about doing nothing. If he had a target near him though, whewwww he's as good as any WR blocking now. I mean it's just fierce. In his routes, he has no concept of where the DB is. If the CB is on his right, he'll bump into him when he goes right. Everyone else either steps one early or later so they can continue on smoothly. He always bumps them. Maybe that's from college when he was the man amongst boys but it's stupid and slows him down. He pushes when he's tired and is probably going to get PIs next year or coached out of that habit. He's not fast off the line, shows no burst unless it's straight. After a few steps, he gets going and yep he's got speed. He uses his body well IF the CB is in a good spot. He doesn't find him and use his body well (like a hoops player would to box out). The CB has to be in the right spot for Corey to box him. Every now and then he leaps and it's holy cow high. When he has to go deep, he smiles (which probably tells the D something but whatever) and it's a thing of beauty. He shows way more speed than normally, if he bumps someone it's minimally and doesn't slow him down. He turns his head nice keeping his speed, it's all wonderful. If he has two cuts, he dogs it on the first, then explodes for the second. I don't know if this is good or bad. He gets separation and maybe he's setting his guy up. He smiles on no cut slants too. Just run diagonal. After a while, it seemed clear he either likes a route or he doesn't. It's not that he has a lack of effort on the routes when he doesn't smile. It's there. It just leads me back to LaFleur not using him well at all. Maybe he knew "this isn't gonna work" but did his best because it's his job? Marcus likes to throw the low purposeful dive like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Corey is no good at this. Marcus will sometimes throw to the wrong shoulder to get it away from the CB and Corey changes up beautifully. More often than not I come back to the story how Marcus was allowed to change plays at the LOS and did so well they took it away from him. When the D was blitzing (which was often, probably due to the Titans OL struggles) Corey was never open quick. He's busy messing with his CB or running a two cut route as Marcus is scrambling for his life or hanging on in the pocket for one more second. They weren't in sync at all. Now I know this is mostly negative, but if Marcus has time, Corey is gonna get open. He's excellent at how he finishes most routes. It just takes too long and I come back to LaFleur.

Tajae is the same as always. He only needs maybe a foot of separation and looks like he has the biggest mitts on the field. He can catch anything near him. His routes are all nicely done but as a slot, they're predictable one cut routes. When Marcus is comfy, he'll throw it even if Tajae only has a smidge of separation. If Marcus has been harassed all day, he isn't risking it. Maybe this means Tajae has to come out during certain times. When Tajae is outside, it's much of the same. He always gets a little separation and will catch anything, but you're left wondering if it's enough separation. If he was Rishard or Delanie, maybe he'd have Marcus' confidence and a bunch more catches, but I don't blame Marcus for not chucking it. He looks almost covered every time.

Batson pauses when he turns the other way. He's a normal person unlike Taylor's freakish ability. He's so quick too. He should have had more receptions this year even as a fourth or fifth WR. Marcus missed him too many times. This nobody might be a player. Maybe he gets cut because he can't return punts or maybe he works on that. He's really got some jets to him though.

Jennings looks like a Belichick WR to me. He's so smart and knows exactly what to do. I know he's played S, CB, RB, WR, PR, and KR in the NFL and that lends to his intelligence but...he's something. I don't know why they didn't use him against zones more. Against man, his cuts aren't very good and he does have trouble getting separation. He is clearly a last WR to return kicks, but....he's smart. He's probably locked into his spot after leading the NFL in KR. When we talk of the Titans cutting a WR and who makes the team, it's probably not that someone bumps him. He does his role well and there's just no reason for change. As a RB or reverse WR, he's got vision and a hop to his run. I didn't see it live but it's pretty cool to see. Reverses are well defensed and then boop a little hop and he gets five yards or so because the defenders gotta turn to even get him. He makes the other WRs running reverses look pretty ordinary.

I think there are pieces here but I also don't think anyone isn't replaceable. No one did so good (maybe Jennings) that a GM should be all confident that he's got his spot down and...I really think they could trade. I still think this is the team for AB. Maybe Taylor and Davis can become special but as is, they'd be awesome complimentary guys. THe whole unit is made well to surround a real #1. Sadly it'll probably be old Delanie that returns and is the main guy, but maybe that's enough. Someone has to eat up the attention so these guys have some freedom to run. 

Also, FWIW I would run a million times if I were Marcus. The plays are too darn long and I just don't see many QBs sticking as long as he does.

Corey Davis said the "chemistry" between him and Marcus Mariota is "growing every day."

Big, if true. Cliched offseason quotes aside, it is worth noting how different a situation Davis faces in 2019. Not only is Delanie Walker expected back from injury, but the Titans added Adam Humphries and second-rounder A.J. Brown to the receiver corps this offseason. Despite one of the largest target shares in the league, Davis ended up as the WR27 last year in a passing game which struggled to produce. That might not be as big a problem this year, but target competition will make it a challenge for Davis to match his 65-891-4 line from a season ago.

SOURCE: titansonline.com

May 9, 2019, 9:13 AM ET

I think Davis has a limited ceiling because of the offense.  He’s just not going to see enough targets to realize a top 10 season.   

I like him in best balls because he could evolve into a consistent redzone threat. 

I guess I never really saw it with Davis.

Davis was a 2 star recruit out of Wheaton Illinois.  Non descript HS career.  Went to a smaller college and excelled.  I took a chance on him because people that get paid to do this thought he would make a great pro, and the options in that draft were not that good.  I have held out hope, but he has yet to materialize.  He is still young though, and there is time to prove me wrong.

AJ Brown was a 4 star recruit out of Starkville.  Higher than DK Metcalf but lower than Harry.  Had a solid college career in a strong conference.  Has good size.

My money is on Brown, long term.  In my 10 team keeper I have to choose between keeping Davis and DJ Moore, and I am going with the upside in Moore.

Users who are viewing this thread