What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (2 Viewers)

I knew it was too good to be true. Hopefully just being cautious:

@jwyattsports

Corey Davis jogged inside a little earlier and hasn’t returned to @Titans practice.

12:19 PM · Aug 2, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

@ErikBacharach

Corey Davis went inside the team facility earlier and has yet to return. Taywan Taylor lining up in his place.

12:26 PM · Aug 2, 2019 from Nashville, TN·Twitter for iPhone

Davis (and some other players) was given the day off and complimented by Vrabel for his work thus far. When players get a days off, often times Vrabel makes them do the drills then go sit

He was replaced by Khalif Raymond and then Tajae.

Vrabel used the days off to replace them with backups that have earned a chance due to hard work. One backup mixed in with each group. Doesn't mean he's in the running with that group just that they gave them some plays with the first string.

Raymond is 5-9, was with the Broncos, fast little bugger. He did well subbing for Davis but the staff was displeased with the secondary. Speedy lil bugger pointed out some technique, positioning, and angles that they're not working.  Raymond is just hoping to make the PS. He's not a threat to the top five

Davis (and some other players) was given the day off and complimented by Vrabel for his work thus far. When players get a days off, often times Vrabel makes them do the drills then go sit

He was replaced by Khalif Raymond and then Tajae.

Vrabel used the days off to replace them with backups that have earned a chance due to hard work. One backup mixed in with each group. Doesn't mean he's in the running with that group just that they gave them some plays with the first string.

Raymond is 5-9, was with the Broncos, fast little bugger. He did well subbing for Davis but the staff was displeased with the secondary. Speedy lil bugger pointed out some technique, positioning, and angles that they're not working.  Raymond is just hoping to make the PS. He's not a threat to the top five
Davis seems to be getting some good reviews this offseason. You have historically been a little hard on him....are you seeing the same improvement that others seem to be?

Davis seems to be getting some good reviews this offseason. You have historically been a little hard on him....are you seeing the same improvement that others seem to be?
I'm not there, just have friends that are. Everything thus far is a step up, yes. If he keeps it up, this could certainly be the put it together in his third year type standard

If QB play can be slightly above average Davis could put up some nice numbers. Big IF....
Big if for sure. 

Price is right though, so I’ll be rolling the dice on him in the 8/9 area where he is going now. Not much risk there for a guy with nice upside. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Struggled against Pats for two days, concerning. All will be forgiven if he does well tonight.

Maybe he needed that to happen. He was doing so well. Maybe he needs to mess up and get coached on some things. 

On the one hand Gilmore is excellent, but on the other, Brown, ARW, and Taylor all got open on him.

Mike Giardi @MikeGiardi

I like the receiving group. Corey Davis needs to be more consistent but there's no reason why he can't be a top-10 receiver in this league. He has every tool. Taywan Taylor actually was the Titans best WR during these joint practices. Quicks and an ability to get over the top

Same probs with Davis. Spends too much time playing pattycake with the DB rather than getting past him. If he doesn't lose this bad habit, you'll never see the WR he's developed into

Same probs with Davis. Spends too much time playing pattycake with the DB rather than getting past him. If he doesn't lose this bad habit, you'll never see the WR he's developed into
That is disappointing to hear going into his third year. Blame the staff at this point for not pushing this?

Love Corey Davis. 

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-96-stats-3-fantasy-football-stats-for-every-nfl-team-for-2019

Long read. The relevant part is, as I posted a couple months ago, that Corey Davis saw coverage from a ridiculous amount of stud corners last year. He saw coverage from a top 25 graded CB on 43% of his targets. The highest % in the league across 94 qualified wrs. He still finished 27th in total points and as a low end wr3 in ppg despite all that plus awful qb play plus conservative coaching plus no on to help take coverage. He’s going wr42 right now according to FFCalc. Get him!

Love Corey Davis. 

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-96-stats-3-fantasy-football-stats-for-every-nfl-team-for-2019

Long read. The relevant part is, as I posted a couple months ago, that Corey Davis saw coverage from a ridiculous amount of stud corners last year. He saw coverage from a top 25 graded CB on 43% of his targets. The highest % in the league across 94 qualified wrs. He still finished 27th in total points and as a low end wr3 in ppg despite all that plus awful qb play plus conservative coaching plus no on to help take coverage. He’s going wr42 right now according to FFCalc. Get him!
Since they have two great corners in Jax and two top ten (per pff grades) cover guys on the Texans, I imagine they could right this article every year.

Since they have two great corners in Jax and two top ten (per pff grades) cover guys on the Texans, I imagine they could right this article every year.
This made me look at their actual list because no way are those guys considered elite. Interesting list to say the least. Goes to show how hard it is to grade corners (or anyone). The division matchups obviously stay more or less the same. In looking at the actual names he faces out of division this year compared to last year I think it’s obvious he’s facing lesser corners. Going from the AFC East (Gilmore, McCourty, Howard, Johnson, excluding Tre White since he faces him this year as well) to the West (Harris but he dominates the slot mainly, excluding the LAC guys because he played them last year as well) and NFC (Jones, Jenkins, Norman) to the South (only Lattimore really) is a big difference. And then Cleveland secondary vs Bmore secondary as well should be easier for him.

This made me look at their actual list because no way are those guys considered elite. Interesting list to say the least. Goes to show how hard it is to grade corners (or anyone). The division matchups obviously stay more or less the same. In looking at the actual names he faces out of division this year compared to last year I think it’s obvious he’s facing lesser corners. Going from the AFC East (Gilmore, McCourty, Howard, Johnson, excluding Tre White since he faces him this year as well) to the West (Harris but he dominates the slot mainly, excluding the LAC guys because he played them last year as well) and NFC (Jones, Jenkins, Norman) to the South (only Lattimore really) is a big difference. And then Cleveland secondary vs Bmore secondary as well should be easier for him.
Top 25 Cornerbacks in 2018 (PFF)

My first thought was where’s Rhodes but I forgot he actually struggled last year. Disappointed they ranked Slay 18th but he’s always overlooked. Has the most pass breakups since 2013 and last year he was stellar.

He had the sixth-best forced incompletion rate at 19.8 and was third in the NFL was 12 pass breakups.

Back to Davis, it should help him marginally that Mariota is “healthy”, but then again he’s missed games four straight years (9 starts.) The talent is there for Corey but he needs to refine his craft if he’s ever gonna her to the next level.

Obviously the situation is less than ideal for WR upside but I think he’ll top 1K this year.

BobbyLayne said:
Top 25 Cornerbacks in 2018 (PFF)

My first thought was where’s Rhodes but I forgot he actually struggled last year. Disappointed they ranked Slay 18th but he’s always overlooked. Has the most pass breakups since 2013 and last year he was stellar.

He had the sixth-best forced incompletion rate at 19.8 and was third in the NFL was 12 pass breakups.

Back to Davis, it should help him marginally that Mariota is “healthy”, but then again he’s missed games four straight years (9 starts.) The talent is there for Corey but he needs to refine his craft if he’s ever gonna her to the next level.

Obviously the situation is less than ideal for WR upside but I think he’ll top 1K this year.
I could go on and on about how difficult it is to assess cb play with metrics. Just impossible to standardize different situations. Like Slay is a beast, fairly obvious that the Bears don’t have 3 corners better than him but their D creates so much pressure those guys have much easier jobs. And the truly stud corners follow the elite wrs so a much more difficult job than the guys who stay on one side or in the slot. So many variables. I tend to think the corners who are charged with shadowing the other teams best are the true high end ones. They also have run grade included in there which won’t really matter for this exercise. Anyways despite the obvious difficulties in grading corners it matched what my eyes saw as far as Davis’ schedule goes.

I agree that he breaks 1K this year. The lighter secondaries is one part of it. Qb play another. Healthy Mariota > Tannehill > Hurt Mariota >>>> Gabbert so it would take a couple injuries for the qb play to get as bad as it was last year. The schedule is way more amenable to shootouts too. Last year OOD the average offensive rank of their opponents was 20.1. And in division they faced the Jags who were 27th and 3 of the 4 games against the Colts/Texans were Gabbert games. This year the average offensive rank of their OOD opponents is 11. 

matttyl said:
He might get a new QB in 2019 the way things are looking.
The only option there is Tannehill, but that's not really an improvement. It's unfortunate because I do believe that Davis is very, very talented. My hope is that he eventually gets to realize that talent, but if things remain the same in Tennessee then Humphries is going to see the most targets and no WR in Tenn will be viable. 

The only option there is Tannehill, but that's not really an improvement. It's unfortunate because I do believe that Davis is very, very talented. My hope is that he eventually gets to realize that talent, but if things remain the same in Tennessee then Humphries is going to see the most targets and no WR in Tenn will be viable. 
Not saying Tannehill is any better.  I also believe in Davis - AJ Brown, too.  I have them both in my dynasty league. 

It's amazing how much early expectations affect a players' value.

In the Dynasty Trade thread we were debating Aaron Jones vs Corey Davis.  Jones is viewed as an up and comer type who has a ton of upside.  Davis is viewed as on the verge of being a bust.  Both players are almost the exact same age, were drafted in the same class, and have scored almost the exact same number of fantasy points in their careers.  Nevermind that RBs are expected to be productive earlier in their careers than WR, Aaron Jones couldn't beat out Jamaal Williams, or that Davis has not had great QB play or offensive scheme in his corner to start his career.

Davis is a screaming buy in dynasty right now because he can be had for a single 1st.  Things change quickly - bet on talent.

That is disappointing to hear going into his third year. Blame the staff at this point for not pushing this?
There are too many reports and videos of them working on this. It's gotta be on him.

Rob Moore has done an awesome job. The Titans could (talk wise, not reality) keep 7 or 8 wide receivers and he's oh so obviously coaching everything he can. A WR is either getting better or not listening. There are so many good videos and quotes and...everything. Their assistant WR coach is a coach's kid that's a gem in that spot. He may not be ready to be a coach for years but that's irrelevant now. He knows the game backwards and forwards and does awesome research. The Titans have had two interns this summer. This WR staff is as good as any in the NFL, if not the best. 

Davis is going to get the reps. There's a very low possibility of him getting pulled even if he struggles. The Titans are so deep at WR we have no idea who they will keep but they're all ready to play all three positions. Tajae or Taywan or Brown....they might sub in for Davis, but he is locked into the lion's share of snaps.

If Brown does well (very questionable after this THIRD injury) and just rocks, maybe he can steal Davis' spot by midseason, but that would still put Davis at the #2.

I think we're going to have to wait this out. Mariota is going to get blamed for holding it too long as us knowledgeable fans see Davis NOT getting open. Mariota is going to have to lead him or throw into tight windows when he does this. Hopefully things click. There are lots of reports of his vast improvement this offseason so they're probably going to deal with any regression as temporary. I, me, will lose hope if he's still doing this in week 8, but I figure the team will give him the whole year unless Brown or Taylor explode into a stud. He has his share of games where the team lists him as 4 catches off 12 targets (team targets are better than official stat and this is another topic another time) and that stinks but, I don't see this changing. If he can get up to 6 or higher, he's golden. There's too much there to not wait N see with him 

Bri said:
There are too many reports and videos of them working on this. It's gotta be on him.

Rob Moore has done an awesome job. The Titans could (talk wise, not reality) keep 7 or 8 wide receivers and he's oh so obviously coaching everything he can. A WR is either getting better or not listening. There are so many good videos and quotes and...everything. Their assistant WR coach is a coach's kid that's a gem in that spot. He may not be ready to be a coach for years but that's irrelevant now. He knows the game backwards and forwards and does awesome research. The Titans have had two interns this summer. This WR staff is as good as any in the NFL, if not the best. 

Davis is going to get the reps. There's a very low possibility of him getting pulled even if he struggles. The Titans are so deep at WR we have no idea who they will keep but they're all ready to play all three positions. Tajae or Taywan or Brown....they might sub in for Davis, but he is locked into the lion's share of snaps.

If Brown does well (very questionable after this THIRD injury) and just rocks, maybe he can steal Davis' spot by midseason, but that would still put Davis at the #2.

I think we're going to have to wait this out. Mariota is going to get blamed for holding it too long as us knowledgeable fans see Davis NOT getting open. Mariota is going to have to lead him or throw into tight windows when he does this. Hopefully things click. There are lots of reports of his vast improvement this offseason so they're probably going to deal with any regression as temporary. I, me, will lose hope if he's still doing this in week 8, but I figure the team will give him the whole year unless Brown or Taylor explode into a stud. He has his share of games where the team lists him as 4 catches off 12 targets (team targets are better than official stat and this is another topic another time) and that stinks but, I don't see this changing. If he can get up to 6 or higher, he's golden. There's too much there to not wait N see with him 
Thanks for the insight. All reports I see is he is putting in the time and improving. He also seems to have the right attitude (paraphrasing him saying “if I don’t get the ball it is my fault”). So it always surprises me when you seem so negative towards him (not saying you are wrong). I do feel like Mariotta struggles with anticipation throws but I am not someone who watches a ton of the team. Hopefully Corey can put it together as he seems to have the skill set.

All reports I see is he is putting in the time and improving. He also seems to have the right attitude (paraphrasing him saying “if I don’t get the ball it is my fault”). So it always surprises me when you seem so negative towards him (not saying you are wrong). 
Bri was right about Henry (to end 2018 at least; jury is out on if that was a fluke against teams that had given up), and he seems more dialed in to the titans than any poster here, but I was going to post this too; he is quite literally the only person I read who is so negative on Davis. 

No one is right, no one is wrong; everyone just "is." I certainly take all resources available to me and make a decision for myself.

That being said, I think Davis is in for a BIG season

Davis has elite athleticism and talent that must be turned into ability and production.  He's a number one by draft pedigree. The sky is the limit for he (and Brown) in what they can become but he fails as a #1 right now.

If he were opposite Julio or AB or ODB, he'd be a fine #2 but he's not. He has to be the man. It's a tougher hill to climb.

If you watch Delanie you can see a big difference. (On certain plays) No one is capable of covering Delanie. He's gonna get it done one way or another and could care less if DBs are draped all over him.

Humphries looked so much like Edelman in the scrimmage videos and similarly, he's gonna cut and get open regardless who covers him.

Davis is gonna beat his DB a few times but he's nothing near automatic on third down or big downs. He may get there and it may be this year. He sure has some great advisors. If and when, look out NFL, but until then he's like a #2 playing the #1.

We saw Taylor figure out Ramsey and another top CB last year. That was phenomenal but he's not the alpha and is like 3rd thru 5th option so that wasn't repeated. With Taylor, he took Ramsey deep, he threw a fake outside cut inside, he did a stop n go, he just bolted, he pushed back...you saw a guy working. I don't see Davis treating his game like it's one on one. He more runs the routes and trusts everyone else.

Look at Hopkins, any game. DeAndre would never catch a pass if he did that. There's gotta be a 'baller, a you against me, an alpha mentality to Davis' game.

Brown has IT. Brown already looks Delanie-ish maybe can be Evans-ish.

As far as me versus others- I've gone from Britt to Wright to Hunter to DGB to Davis. Davis is better than them but he is no alpha yet. You don't get Calvin, Deandre, Julio, Fitz, ODB, or any of that type feel from his game 

The average NFL starter gets 750 yards. He's a little better production wise. A K is good, no doubt. I'm not looking for good from him. I want great

Corey Davis caught 1-of-2 targets for 25 yards in the Titans' third preseason game.

The Titans offense looks pathetic. And it doesn't matter if it's with Marcus Mariota or Ryan Tannehill under center. It's not a great sign for Davis, who is already having to overcome more target competition with A.J. Brown, Adam Humphries, and Delanie Walker in the mix. Unless Davis emerges as one of the better receivers in the league, Davis looks like he'll be stuck as an inconsistent WR3/4 in fantasy. In his second season in the NFL last year, Davis posted a 65-891-4 receiving line on 112 targets.

Aug 25, 2019, 10:09 PM ET

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am staying far away from this Titans offense. The talent is there, but they just look like a mess. 

I don’t know about everyone else, but I am staying far away from this Titans offense. The talent is there, but they just look like a mess. 
It's really a shame. On paper they look like they have a great team. Who knows? We've seen teams look terrible in preseason only to dominate in the regular season but this just doesn't feel like one of those situations.

SSDY. He has tons of talent, needs better coaching and QB play, but it's hard to be optimistic that he's going to get it in Tenn.

Start ’em, sit ’em Week 1: Derrick Henry, Corey Davis, Delanie Walker

Excerpt:

WR Corey Davis: Sit

While I think Corey Davis will produce WR2 numbers this season, he’s no more than a flex option this week against the Browns. Quarterback Marcus Mariota has a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game, and Davis will draw coverage from a top corner in Denzel Ward.

Not to mention, the Titans are without left tackle Taylor Lewan, which might lead to more pressure on Mariota and less time to find Davis on the outside.

The reason I still like Davis as a flex is because this game has the potential to be high-scoring, and Davis could thrive in that situation. However, if you have another option at the flex with a more favorable matchup, I’d leave Davis on the bench for Week 1.

Came down to a toss up for the flex position. I chose the one who was sure to get his team's top share of targets and so I started Corey D and sat Sammy W.   Ooof.   :violin: :tumbleweed: :kicksrock:

I'm starting to think Davis is just not that good. 
yeah... I haven't watched the game yet, but when I see AJ Brown have 100 yards compared to Davis' game log, I tend to agree and admit fault. Granted, he was being covered by Denzel Ward a lot of the time but still...

Brown had one big catch

Davis had one less target and had the superior CB. 

Walker was a bigger road block IMO. that and the game script as well as Mariota is just not very good

just one week, but is anyone bailing? (dynasty)

hard to see a goose-egg and still hold faith that this is the year. He's only 24

Brown had one big catch

Davis had one less target and had the superior CB. 

Walker was a bigger road block IMO. that and the game script as well as Mariota is just not very good
The Browns thought that Davis was the best WR on the Titans. 

Mariota not laying an egg is encouraging. 

Davis is somewhat heading into Sammy Watkins territory where we keep waiting for the production to match the talent....

God. Bought him cheap 5/210 budget. Debating dropping for next splash like Mclaurin, Ross, even his teammate AJ Brown? Probably going to wait a few weeks but might end up regretting it

Users who are viewing this thread