What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (3 Viewers)

Gotta somehow catch the Eagles for the one seed. Imagine being set up with homefield advantage all the way to and including the big game.
Home field is definitely a big advantage for the Vikings right now.

The next two games are on the road against the Falcons and Panthers who are both in the playoff hunt and have respectable defenses.

If they can win these two games I do think its possible they could win the rest of the way and end up 14-2 

I am not counting on that, just think its possible. I considered the last two games to be a bit more difficult than the next two, although the Vikings did have the Rams at home. It was a more decisive victory against the Rams and home field advantage had something to do with that I think.

The Eagles would still need to lose some games along the way for the Vikings to have home field advantage throughout though. The way they have been playing, and a bit easier remaining schedule for them I think, I am not sure if they lose any of them.

Still if the Vikings can win the 2nd seed, with the Eagles the first, they would only need to win one game on the road.

One game at a time. The Vikings do control their own destiny.

Been watching Keenum and he is much better than Bridgewater or Bradford. Loves the way he plays.   Will the Vikes try to keep him?  Right now it looks like he will go from 2 million to at least the 10-15 million range. 

Been watching Keenum and he is much better than Bridgewater or Bradford. Loves the way he plays.   Will the Vikes try to keep him?  Right now it looks like he will go from 2 million to at least the 10-15 million range. 
I'm still a Bradford fan. I thought he was lights out in that first game. Wish he was more mobile and not so fragile though. Case has grown on me but I think he is still somewhat limited as to potential. Would love for him to prove me wrong.

Da Guru said:
I don’t think we know this for sure. Bradford played very well in his one start this year. Bridgewater has never played with this O line, O coordinator and these WRs. 

Case is playing very well. Both the others were high draft picks for a reason. 

Da Guru said:
I am not sure you can make a fair comparison between the QBs because Bradford last season was playing with a much worse offensive line that required him to get the ball out very quickly, and thus more conservative throws.

This season week one against the Saints Bradford was awesome and put up a better game than any of Keenums games this season. It is only one game, but Keenum hasn't passed that very high bar set yet.

It is also hard to compare because Bridgewater and Bradford were playing in Norv Turners offense for most of their games, which is very different than the offense they are running now. Bradford did get the play the last half of game last season in the Shurmur offense, but that was still the same offense with some adjustments to it, not a completely different offense that they install during training camp and before the season.

Bridgewater in 2015 was playing in Norvs offense and that offense was built around Peterson. Its very different. Peterson was actually healthy and playing in most of those games in 2015. At the time it was somewhat of a Jeckyl and Hyde offense. Half of it was designed for Peterson, while the other half designed for passing the ball. These two things did not really mesh together well, because Peterson does not run well out of the shotgun. Teddy passes better out of the shotgun. Peterson has limits as a pass blocker and receiver, making the play action passing game with Peterson less effective.

All of these issues have been fixed in 2017. So the only fair way to compare the 3 QBs ability is based on how they have played this year. As I already mentioned Bradford was better than Keenum in terms of QB rating and other objective measures. Bradofrd had DIggs more involved in the offense than Keenum has. Diggs had 8 targets 7 receptions 93 yards 2 TD and Thiielen had 10 targets 9 receptions 157 yards.Rudolph 3 targets 3 receptions 26 yards and a TD.

Keenum hasn't had the receivers firing on all cylinders together the way Bradford did in the first game. He has had some very good games obviously that could be considered close to what Bradford did, but he hasn't really put it all together the way Bradford did in my opinion. Keenum was really struggling with his connecton with Rudolph until recently. Its good to see him finally be more effective going to Rudolph now. He has made some bad throws to Diggs that I think Bradford would throw better than Keenum does.

Teddy hasn't played yet, so no way to really know how well he will do compared to Keenum.

eta- Keenums best game as far as QB rating was against Tampa Bay who we know doesn't have a very good defense. He did get Diggs and Thielen involved in this game as well as some good receiving numbers out of Dalvin Cook.

Keenum has had very good games, no doubt about it. I just wouldn't say he has player better than the other QBs have and could.

The mobility that Keenum has is an asset and better than Sam Bradford. Overall maybe its better to sacrifice some accuracy, arm strength and ball placement for mobility. I am not sure. Before Teddy was injjured his pocket presence and mobility was also an asset, with better ball placement and accuracy as well. We don't know if Teddy still has that level of mobility though. If he does then I am not sure than Keenum does anything better than what Teddy can do. Keenum is 29 now and further in his development as a QB than Bridgewater is at this point of his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think we know this for sure. Bradford played very well in his one start this year. Bridgewater has never played with this O line, O coordinator and these WRs. 

Case is playing very well. Both the others were high draft picks for a reason. 
Well Keenum is going to get paid somewhere. Just seems like he has that feel for the game than many QBs do not.

Well Keenum is going to get paid somewhere. Just seems like he has that feel for the game than many QBs do not.
I agree. As long as he doesn't make some big mistakes in the next two games he will likely be the Vikings starter in the playoffs.

He is likely going to be a starter for an NFL team in 2018. Maybe the Vikings, maybe another team.

As Zimmer puts it, Keenum has balls. He is not afraid to take his shots. He has good pocket presence and ability to escape the pass rush, he doesn't get rattled by the pass rush much. He is playing some good football right now. I hope he keeps it up.

There are some flaws though and as I mentioned in previous post, possible that Teddy can do everything Case is doing, but be better in some areas that are not strengths of Keenums game, such as accuracy, ball placement and possibly arm strength as well, because Teddy seemed to be improving his deep ball and also throwing velocity.

As fans we don't know that, but it is possible that Teddy is a better overall QB than Keenum is.

I have been talking about the Vikings running game some today in the Latavius Murray thread. Posts start around here.

Basically what I have discovered is that the most difficult game left on the schedule will likely be against the Panthers two weeks from now.

Atlanta is not particularly good against the run but they are a good pass defense. Case Keenum throws the ball much better off of play action than he does normal passes. So this sets up pretty well for the game against the Falcons I think for the Vikings offense to have success.

The games against the Bengals, Packers and Bears are neutral match ups as far as their run defense. The Packers and Bears being division opponents add a level of difficultly as they know the Vikings a bit better than other teams. I think we saw some of that in the Lions game, with the many runs they were able to stuff for losses, likely aided by that familiarity.

The Falcons, Panthers and Packers games are away, so that adds a level of difficulty as well. I think the Vikings do play a lot better with home field advantage.

The Panthers game kind of doesn't worry me because of how well we played against them last year. I don't think Cam Newton wants any parts of our defense, and he seems to falter under pressure against good defense. Even so that is looking like the most difficult game remaining, as they do have a very good defense as well.

Zimmer on Officiating, Special Teams, Offensive Success

Krammer has an article in the Star Tribune where he is suggesting Case Keenum is on a short leash based off of this press conference.

While that may be true, I don't get that impression from what Zimmer says here. His only criticism of Keenum is that he held the ball too long on a couple of his plays.

The play action, which has been really effective and the way Keenum will do post snap reads of the defense are things that I think are keeping him from getting the ball to Stefon Diggs more. Diggs gets open early on in his routes, and Keenum taking more time to deliver the ball reduces those opportunities for Diggs, at least when comparing how Diggs was performing with Bradford, the ball was coming out quicker. The play action does take more time before the QB delivers the ball compared to lining up in shotfgun, pre snap read and getting the ball out quickly.

Zimmer on Officiating, Special Teams, Offensive Success

Krammer has an article in the Star Tribune where he is suggesting Case Keenum is on a short leash based off of this press conference.

While that may be true, I don't get that impression from what Zimmer says here. His only criticism of Keenum is that he held the ball too long on a couple of his plays.

The play action, which has been really effective and the way Keenum will do post snap reads of the defense are things that I think are keeping him from getting the ball to Stefon Diggs more. Diggs gets open early on in his routes, and Keenum taking more time to deliver the ball reduces those opportunities for Diggs, at least when comparing how Diggs was performing with Bradford, the ball was coming out quicker. The play action does take more time before the QB delivers the ball compared to lining up in shotfgun, pre snap read and getting the ball out quickly.
Ironically (with my name VikingFrog and as a TCU football and Vikings football fan) these situations somewhat seem to mirror each other.

Fans have somewhat been calling for our QB Kenny Hill’s head many times this year. He isn’t great. He has great moments. But every time he throws the ball, you just kind of hold your breath. BUT... they are 10-2 and headed to the conference championship game. He doesn’t lose much, so why should the coaches change something.

I feel like our Vikings have kind of mirrored  this situation. Keenum came in just as a temp replacement. Won a few games and everyone wanted to nitpick his flaws. Bradford ends up on IR and Bridgewater is finally healthy and everyone (fans and media) is chomping at the bit to find a reason to bring up sitting Keenum.  All the while I feel like the coaches are saying, “hell, we are winning ball games, let’s not mess with a good thing”.

Just ended up thinking how funny it is that both of these situations are fairly similar.

Honestly I think Spielman and Zimmer like having their players on the hot seat with prove it deals as a form of extra motivation.

They don't seem to worried about their players jumping ship because its a great team to be a part of. That is kind of the way I see them handling the QB situation this year with all 3 QBs on the last years of their contracts. Next year will take care of itself.

They also give players contract extensions in the last years of their contracts if they are playing well. So that shows some loyalty to the players by doing that. I'm not too worried about what will happen next year as I figure one or more of these QBs will want to be part of the team again next year.

For now they have Keenum playing the best he can and knowing this is a great opportunity for him. He can't get comfortable because Teddy is pushing him if he messes up. On the other hand Teddy has to keep pushing in practice to give them a reason to give him a shot over Keenum and he knows the team is committed to him long term.

For now its just one game at a time though and eveyone giving their best. I think that is the way they like it to be.

Zimmer on Falcons' Explosive Offense, Keenum's Status

Zimmer does a pretty good job of not really saying much in this press conference. He does say that Latavius Murray has been playing better recently when asked about him. He says he doesn't know if it is that Murray is healthier now or just has more confidence, but he is playing better now and it will be important for the offense to possess the football in this game.

Mike Remmers cleared concussion protocol last week, Zimmer just decided not to have him active. He had a limited practice today.

Eric Kendricks did not practice today, they list him with a hip injury.

Honestly I think Spielman and Zimmer like having their players on the hot seat with prove it deals as a form of extra motivation.

They don't seem to worried about their players jumping ship because its a great team to be a part of. That is kind of the way I see them handling the QB situation this year with all 3 QBs on the last years of their contracts. Next year will take care of itself.

They also give players contract extensions in the last years of their contracts if they are playing well. So that shows some loyalty to the players by doing that. I'm not too worried about what will happen next year as I figure one or more of these QBs will want to be part of the team again next year.

For now they have Keenum playing the best he can and knowing this is a great opportunity for him. He can't get comfortable because Teddy is pushing him if he messes up. On the other hand Teddy has to keep pushing in practice to give them a reason to give him a shot over Keenum and he knows the team is committed to him long term.

For now its just one game at a time though and eveyone giving their best. I think that is the way they like it to be.
Agree 100%. It’s frustrated me for many years having shoe-in mentality at the QB position, compounded by non-competition personnel depth decisions. I feel like this situation was more happenstance than planned, but it is better for the team to see that producers can earn and keep a role.

Vikings injury report

Good news is that Eric Kendricks was back at practice although he was limited. The Vikings need him and Barr for this upcoming game against the Falcons. Ben Gedeon has played well against the run, but is still a question mark in coverage. The Falcons look like they will have Freeman back at RB. Both him and Coleman are good players that the Vikings need to account for as runners and receivers. Hopefully Kendricks can play and play well. The Vikings LB depth is an area that hasn't really been tested very much and I hope it does not have to.

Bad news is that Mike Remmers did not practice today. He has a lower back injury that I haven't heard about until late last night when Andrew Krammer mentioned it in a tweet. So he is past the concussion and thats good, but the reason he has been out may be related to his back, and that is not good. Thankfully Rashod Hill has played pretty well. I don't think he is as good a run blocker as Remmers is, so it would be nice to have him back. One of the weaknesses of the Falcons defense is against the run, and Zimmer did talk about wanting to possess the ball and keep the Falcons offense off the field. I do think the run blocking as a unit has been better with Remmers in the line up. This is going on a month now that the Vikings have been playing without Remmers. Hill may be better than Remmers in pass protection, so that is a good thing and hopefully Hill continues to play well, it just would be nice to get better run blocking on the right side too.

Joe Berger has a limited practice today but they say it is not injury related. Perhaps just giving the veteran some extra rest.

Everyone else seems to be healthy.

For the Falcons I do not see a report for today being published yet. Desmond Trufant is the key player of interest here. He did not practice on Wed as he has a concussion. If Trufant does not play he is there best corner. So this may help out the passing game somewhat if he is not able to play.

I am feeling positive about the game and I hope the Vikings can keep this win streak going. Being able to run the ball well one of the keys to that. Jerrick McKinnon who is from Atlanta is looking forward to playing in front of the home crowd and it would be great if they can get him going a bit better than he has the last few weeks. If the defense can keep Atlanta from scoring much or at least hold them to field goals (I definitely think they can) then both RB should have busy days I think.

Falcons Vikings inactives

Falcons

OL Sean Harlow

RB Terrence Magee

CB Brian Poole

OL Ty Sambrailo

CB Desmond Trufant

LB Sean Weatherspoon

WR Nick Williams

Two starting corners for the Falcons are out meaning that Alford is the only corner they have who is pretty good. It becomes pretty easy for the Vikings to avoid Alford and pick on their other corners. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs should have big games. Weatherspoon is also out weakening their LB group that wasn't particularly strong to begin with. This should help the Vikings be successful running the ball and setting up play action.

Viikings

DE Tashawn Bower

RB Mack Brown

WR Stacy Coley

OL Aviente Collins

DT Jaleel Johnson

OL Mike Remmers

QB Kyle Sloter 

Mike Remmers is out again so Rashod Hill will start again at RT. With Collins inactive Jeremiah Sirles is the back up offensive tackle should anything happen to Hill or Reiff.

Hopefully the Vikings defense plays well and can limit the Falcons scoring enough that the offense can win this game. Even if the Falcons do score a lot, the Vikings offense should be able to keep up.

Great to get another win! 8 in a row now.

Good defense by the Vikings for most of the game although I think they could have tackled better on several plays.

That 15 play drive was pretty much what won the game. The first half was a little shakier on offense but they did enough to possess the ball and win the game.

I thought the receivers would be able to do more than they did, but the Falcons played zone and kept things in front of them, so the Vikings just ran the ball and threw short instead.

Carolina Panthers next. Hope they can keep this win streak going!

Great to get another win! 8 in a row now.

Good defense by the Vikings for most of the game although I think they could have tackled better on several plays.

That 15 play drive was pretty much what won the game. The first half was a little shakier on offense but they did enough to possess the ball and win the game.

I thought the receivers would be able to do more than they did, but the Falcons played zone and kept things in front of them, so the Vikings just ran the ball and threw short instead.

Carolina Panthers next. Hope they can keep this win streak going!
We lock up the division next week with a win. These boys will be fired up and ready to play.

I've been a Viking fan for 30 years.  With the exception of 1998, I've never had more confidence in this team than I have right now.  The defense is the best I've ever seen from this club.  They have studs at every level, tackle very well and have depth everywhere.  Case Keenum has been fantastic.  He's not Aaron Rodgers, he can't throw a 45 yard out on a frozen rope, but he gets the job done with extreme prejudice.  The o-line has been magnificent. 

I'm not going to start predicting a super bowl win or even appearance.  I'm not overly excited, cuz, well, you know.  But I've never felt like I don't care who this team plays or where they play them like I do now.  I've always felt like, "oh, I hope they get home field, oh I hope Rodgers misses that game, oh I hope team A beats team B to help the Vikes."

Right now I don't care.  I hope Rodgers is back for the game at Lambeau.  I hope they play Philly in the playoffs, home or away.  I hope if they happen to get to the Super Bowl, they play the Patriots.  Bring it on.  I believe this team will win.

Skol.

I've been a Viking fan for 30 years.  With the exception of 1998, I've never had more confidence in this team than I have right now.  The defense is the best I've ever seen from this club.  They have studs at every level, tackle very well and have depth everywhere.  Case Keenum has been fantastic.  He's not Aaron Rodgers, he can't throw a 45 yard out on a frozen rope, but he gets the job done with extreme prejudice.  The o-line has been magnificent. 

I'm not going to start predicting a super bowl win or even appearance.  I'm not overly excited, cuz, well, you know.  But I've never felt like I don't care who this team plays or where they play them like I do now.  I've always felt like, "oh, I hope they get home field, oh I hope Rodgers misses that game, oh I hope team A beats team B to help the Vikes."

Right now I don't care.  I hope Rodgers is back for the game at Lambeau.  I hope they play Philly in the playoffs, home or away.  I hope if they happen to get to the Super Bowl, they play the Patriots.  Bring it on.  I believe this team will win.

Skol.
If the Cubs can break their curse...maybe...just maybe...

Yes, there are still 4 weeks to go but..

Thanks to the Seahawks winning last night, if the Playoffs started this week the Vikings would be the #1 Seed :jawdrop:
All 4 games (@CAR, CIN, @GB, CHI) are also very winnable games. Just gotta stay healthy.

All 4 games (@CAR, CIN, @GB, CHI) are also very winnable games. Just gotta stay healthy.
hmmm... :oldunsure: on  @GB being winnable..

Better then 75% chance that Rodgers will be back and, if there is one thing we know about the NFL, it is that Revenge is a hell of a motivator..

As Zimmer and the players have been saying all season long, one game at a time. All NFL teams are good and they cannot assume any game will be a win.

I totally agree the team should be very motivated to play well against the Panthers as one more win locks up the Vikings as NFC North champions.

Plus as Jim has mentioned, it should be a very good match up of Everson Griffen against Matt Kalil who continues to be a very poor left tackle. Cam Newton is not going to have very much fun going against the Vikings defense.

Letting Matt Kalil walk was a game changer for Vikings

In regards to the Vikings being the top seed in the NFC right now.

Vikings currently hold tie-breaker on Eagles and, thus, top spot in the NFC playoff race

It is great that the Vikings currently control their own destiny. They need to keep winning though in order to maintain their position as the top seed in the NFC. It will be a critical advantage for them if they can do so, as I think the Vikings definitely have a home field advantage. Not to say they don't play well on the road also, because they do, and a big reason for that is because of how well the Vikings defense plays, but having the crowd with the team does give them an additional edge.

Being able to play at home throughout the playoffs will help, and if they can win during the playoffs then the Vikings get the unique opportunity to have home field advantage in the SUPER BOWL!! Something no team has had before.

But before we get too excited about the prospect, first they need to beat the Pathers. Then the Bengals at home, which is a match up I like for the Vikings given how poorly the Bengals offensive line has been playing this season, something the Vikings are well equiped to take advantage of.

It is always difficult to win in Lanbeau and as snogger points out Aaron Rodgers is likely to be healthy enough for that game, making it even more difficult. The defense travels though. I think they can pull it off, that game will no doubt be the most difficult one left on the schedule however.

If the Vikings can manage to win these next 3 games, and if the Eagles lose another game, then maybe the Vikings will have enough of a cushion to play Teddy Bridgewater in week 17 at home against the Bears. Which I think would be a a great opportunity for the team as well.

But one week at a time. Take care of Carolina first and then the rest of these possibilities will continue to fall into place.

Very excited about where the Vikings are at right now and to be in this position. I agree with Herb that because of the defense this team is capable of beating anyone anywhere.

Showing my age here, but the reason I'm optimistic is that our anchor is the defense.  Growing up watching the Vikes in the late 60's and early 70's, when it seemed like they were always in the playoffs, the hallmark was a dominating DEF and an average to above average offense.  Seemed like we always got big plays from the D to change games, and the offense was good enough to capitalize.  That's the way this team is built.  Bud Grant knew his team's strengths and game planned accordingly, and that's what Zimmer and staff are doing.  No crazy yelling and drama, just a "take care of business and do your job" mentality, with plenty of lead by example team oriented players.  This team can play with anybody anywhere because of the D leading the way, and the offense is plenty competent. This feels different than some of the very good Vikes teams that relied on lots of scoring during the last couple of decades.  Defense is more constant home or away, and this team has a very good one. 

z

Showing my age here, but the reason I'm optimistic is that our anchor is the defense.  Growing up watching the Vikes in the late 60's and early 70's, when it seemed like they were always in the playoffs, the hallmark was a dominating DEF and an average to above average offense.  Seemed like we always got big plays from the D to change games, and the offense was good enough to capitalize.  That's the way this team is built.  Bud Grant knew his team's strengths and game planned accordingly, and that's what Zimmer and staff are doing.  No crazy yelling and drama, just a "take care of business and do your job" mentality, with plenty of lead by example team oriented players.  This team can play with anybody anywhere because of the D leading the way, and the offense is plenty competent. This feels different than some of the very good Vikes teams that relied on lots of scoring during the last couple of decades.  Defense is more constant home or away, and this team has a very good one. 

z
Feel good about the defense this week?

All of the player quotes on the related videos under that video are awesome. 

It’s also great to follow the link below to Zimmer’s locker room speech afterward. “We haven’t accomplished anything yet, we still got a lot of work to do. I love this team and I’m proud of y’all.”

I just love the fact that this team is doing well and doesn’t seem like it’s full of a bunch of hotheads or stars. Truly feels like a team unit and you don’t always see that in the NFL these days. At least publicly.

Keenum: “Doesn’t matter how, it’s how many”

Keenum:  “We’re still hungry and want this bad”

Kendricks: “These guys don’t care who or when we play”

Thielen: “Teams that go far win games in December”

Wright: “The best part is we control our own destiny”

Sendejo: “Was a big time win for us”

The Bengals giving the Steelers a hell of a time right now on Monday Night Football.

Just a reminded that you can't look past any team.
I don't think the Steelers are looking past the Bengals.  Their best defensive player (and probably their biggest leader) might be paralyzed.  Can anyone really blame them if their heart isn't in the game?

I don't think the Steelers are looking past the Bengals.  Their best defensive player (and probably their biggest leader) might be paralyzed.  Can anyone really blame them if their heart isn't in the game?
Who was injured?

Sorry not watching the game. Was just looking at the score and see that AJ Green had given them a 2 TD lead.

Its a common opponent, division game and the Bengals need to win to not be eliminated from playoff chances. Football always gets good in December as teams are scratching to stay alive.

Who was injured?

Sorry not watching the game. Was just looking at the score and see that AJ Green had given them a 2 TD lead.

Its a common opponent, division game and the Bengals need to win to not be eliminated from playoff chances. Football always gets good in December as teams are scratching to stay alive.
Ryan Shazier.  Looked really bad.  Steelers basically looked dead after that injury.

Users who are viewing this thread