What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (1 Viewer)

Nice to see them win one of these, but sure would be nice if they'd take a 10 point lead and slam down the accelerator.. Instead they get a lead and become predictable and hope the defense can hold.

Next week.. Packers.. :oldunsure:
I guess I have to disagree. I think they did do that today. The long completion with under three minutes to Jefferson would’ve never happened in the recent past. 

Nice to see them win one of these, but sure would be nice if they'd take a 10 point lead and slam down the accelerator..
Wouldn't that require the defense to actually stop the opposing team for them to be able to do this?

Instead they get a lead and become predictable and hope the defense can hold.
What happened is the defense gave up points and they lost the lead and they had to get it back.

Ultimately it becomes the same thing. I heard that the Vikings have had a 7 point lead in every game this season. 

The problem is the defense isnt holding up their part of these games.

I did read something about the Vikings offense being much more effective at the beginning of games and the scripted plays than they are for the rest of the game. So there is some truth to what you are saying. I just think the defense isnt doing their job well enough and how I understand your statement ( as well as others) seems to be over looking that fact and placing the blame more on the offense not doing enough. While I think that is true too, the defense is a big part of the problem as far as the Vikings losing leads.

Wouldn't that require the defense to actually stop the opposing team for them to be able to do this?

What happened is the defense gave up points and they lost the lead and they had to get it back.

Ultimately it becomes the same thing. I heard that the Vikings have had a 7 point lead in every game this season. 

The problem is the defense isnt holding up their part of these games.

I did read something about the Vikings offense being much more effective at the beginning of games and the scripted plays than they are for the rest of the game. So there is some truth to what you are saying. I just think the defense isnt doing their job well enough and how I understand your statement ( as well as others) seems to be over looking that fact and placing the blame more on the offense not doing enough. While I think that is true too, the defense is a big part of the problem as far as the Vikings losing leads.
Yea.. I think what they said is the only team that has had a 10 point lead at some point in every game.

What I was trying to say was that Zimmer thinks he has the defense to win games and so once they get a lead he dumbs down the offense to predictable. 

I agree to the above post that they FINNALY took a shot while holding a 7 point lead.. But it took the chargers driving down to get the FG for Zimmer to release the rope a little.

I truly believe with Zimmer at the helm, the Vikings are "doomed" to be oh so close but never take the reigns :kicksrock:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea.. I think what they said is the only team that has had a 10 point lead at some point in every game.

What I was trying to say was that Zimmer thinks he has the defense to win games and so once they get a lead he dums down the offense to predictable. 

I agree to the above post that they FINNALY took a shot while holding a 7 point lead.. But it took the chargers driving down to get the FG for Zimmer to release the rope a little.

I truly believe with Zimmer at the helm, the Vikings are "doomed" to be oh so close but never take the reigns :kicksrock:  
Well I guess the point I am trying to make is that if you want to blame Zimmer for how the team has been performing then point at the defense not being good enough instead of focusing on the offense not being aggressive enough.

The offense cant do anything when the defense just lets the other team march down the field and keep the ball you know?

There is some truth to what you are saying and Zimmer is responsible for the offense becoming too conservative when they have a lead. I just think its more straight forward to point out that the defense isnt playing well enough.

There are reasons for why the defense isn't playing well enough. Not having Hunter in the line up because of injury the last 2 seasons is a big part of that of course. The defensive backs are not playing well enough and causing too many penalties is another part of that though, and that is Zimmers specialty.

Kubiak JR isnt as good as his dad or Stefanski and Cousins just seems to have bad spells where he isn't playing well also, but the main difference with this team compared to 2017-2019 is that the defensive backs are worse then they were before. Griffen is older and Hunter hasn't been healthy.

It just seems more direct to me to blame Zimmer for not having the defense playing as well as they were for awhile there than to blame him for holding back the offense. We all know Zimmer has mostly delegated offensive responsibilities to his coordinators aside from him being unhappy with DeFlippo for not running the ball enough.

Well I guess the point I am trying to make is that if you want to blame Zimmer for how the team has been performing then point at the defense not being good enough instead of focusing on the offense not being aggressive enough.

The offense cant do anything when the defense just lets the other team march down the field and keep the ball you know?

There is some truth to what you are saying and Zimmer is responsible for the offense becoming too conservative when they have a lead. I just think its more straight forward to point out that the defense isnt playing well enough.

There are reasons for why the defense isn't playing well enough. Not having Hunter in the line up because of injury the last 2 seasons is a big part of that of course. The defensive backs are not playing well enough and causing too many penalties is another part of that though, and that is Zimmers specialty.

Kubiak JR isnt as good as his dad or Stefanski and Cousins just seems to have bad spells where he isn't playing well also, but the main difference with this team compared to 2017-2019 is that the defensive backs are worse then they were before. Griffen is older and Hunter hasn't been healthy.

It just seems more direct to me to blame Zimmer for not having the defense playing as well as they were for awhile there than to blame him for holding back the offense. We all know Zimmer has mostly delegated offensive responsibilities to his coordinators aside from him being unhappy with DeFlippo for not running the ball enough.
That is where we will have to agree to disagree.. Zimmer is a conservative coach and, In my opinion, he has distilled that philosophy into his coaches. Go for the lead then sit and protect..
In this day and age of the NFL you need a coach who is aggressive, sometimes to the point of failing..

I'd rather have them lose trying to win, rather then lose trying not to lose. :shrug:  

Surprised by the win yesterday.

I'm humored by the back/forth on this page regarding blame for the disappointing season. It the offense to blame? Yes. Is the defense to blame? Yes. Is special teams to blame? Yes. Coaching/play calling? Yes. No matter where you turn, it's something undermining something else.

Is it weird to say that was the most frustrating win?

They had a 13 point lead twice and still had to survive a 1 play for a game tieing TD( nice defense by the way) and an almost season killing interception.. 

At the end, it was nice to watch them make a 2 minute drive for a winning FG. :thumbup:

Is it weird to say that was the most frustrating win?

They had a 13 point lead twice and still had to survive a 1 play for a game tieing TD( nice defense by the way) and an almost season killing interception.. 

At the end, it was nice to watch them make a 2 minute drive for a winning FG. :thumbup:
Not at all I thought the Vikings were very lucky to have those interceptions over turned.

That roughing the passer penalty was legit I guess. I thought the one where they said Savage didn't have possession was more egregious than that one. Both of those could have counted though. It was close.

A wins a win I guess but it certainly wasn't a convincing one. 

The Vikes have the ability to beat any team in the NFL.........unfortunately they also have the ability to lose to any team in the NFL.

I hated that they kneeled to run clock to kick the FG.  I will never trust a Viking kicker to make an important kick.  If they were down by one instead of tied I have no doubt he would have missed.  

The Vikes have the ability to beat any team in the NFL.........unfortunately they also have the ability to lose to any team in the NFL.

I hated that they kneeled to run clock to kick the FG.  I will never trust a Viking kicker to make an important kick.  If they were down by one instead of tied I have no doubt he would have missed.  
How can one hate that? That FG was basically a gimme. How many times has Rodgers beaten teams with 30 to 60 seconds left? 

How can one hate that? That FG was basically a gimme. How many times has Rodgers beaten teams with 30 to 60 seconds left? 
I don't mind taking some time but still trying for the TD eventually.  Vikes still had a TO so they could of run one play to try and get the TD with about 10 seconds left then called TO if they didn't get it.  I have seen too many missed FG's even gimmies like that.  

It's the right play but I still hate leaving it up to the kicker.  

I get it, but you can't let bad memories create future bad football strategy. If we're going to miss 29 yard kicks, oh well. You play to win the game. Setting scars aside, the only way the Vikes lose that game is giving the ball back to Rodgers with any time on the clock. You trust our 2 minute defense that basically gives up TDs at will? This unit had just given up a 1-play 75 yard TD drive.

I don't mind taking some time but still trying for the TD eventually.  Vikes still had a TO so they could of run one play to try and get the TD with about 10 seconds left then called TO if they didn't get it.  I have seen too many missed FG's even gimmies like that.  

It's the right play but I still hate leaving it up to the kicker.  
Not necessarily coming at you, but Twitter is still after Zimmer’s job for kicking the field goal. However, I assume they would also be after his job if they went to the touchdown and Dalvin fumbled. They did the right thing. 

I get it, but you can't let bad memories create future bad football strategy. If we're going to miss 29 yard kicks, oh well. You play to win the game. Setting scars aside, the only way the Vikes lose that game is giving the ball back to Rodgers with any time on the clock. You trust our 2 minute defense that basically gives up TDs at will? This unit had just given up a 1-play 75 yard TD drive.

Not necessarily coming at you, but Twitter is still after Zimmer’s job for kicking the field goal. However, I assume they would also be after his job if they went to the touchdown and Dalvin fumbled. They did the right thing. 
I agree it was the right plan but I still don't like it.  Hahhaha.  Like I said before being that it was a tie game it was better.

Well that was unfortunately expected.
This team is .500 at best and they have not been at their best all season. The defense got owned yesterday. 

Watching the drive in the 4th quarter, that resulted in no points, was the season in a nutshell.
It makes me wonder how much control Cousin's has of changing called plays... and if he does have the the ability to do so, then he doesn't do it enough. 

On first down and goal, he had Jefferson on the left side 1-on-1..
Obvious 49ers were defending the run so Cousin's should have made a quick audible to Jefferson. Much like with Moss, you need to take advantage of any 1-on-1.

Instead he runs the predictable run play up the middle, with the predictable results, No gain..
Then of course,  since that failed, they wouldn't expect us to call the exact same play.. oops.. no gain. 

Hey Lions fans..
You almost/should have beat the Vikings earlier this season in Minnesota, so you might just get your first win of the season next week :oldunsure:  

This team just is what it is, continuing to struggle in the trenches against solid lines. It has a puncher's chance like it showed against the Pack, but nothing you can consistently rely upon. On the one hand, you can say injuries have depleted the team at DL/CB. On the other hand, it's a pretty damning indictment that the cupboard is so bare behind acquired FAs who are either injured or ineffective (Peterson, Breeland, E. Griffen, Tomlinson, Pierce). Just imagine the DL without another FA acquisition... Sheldon Richardson. Doesn't seem to be any drafted talent that would reduce reliance on FAs anytime soon, or reason for optimism that scouting knows how to identify talent. Besides Jefferson, is there anyone drafted in the past several years who has buzz re: earning a future contract? With all of the draft picks Spielman amasses, that's unsettling.  

Last season when they were 1-5 going into the bye and I wanted heads to roll.  They rallied to finish 7-9.  This gave some fans the delusion of progress. 

I really don't think they are capable of winning at the end of the season this year.  Actually think the Bears will sweep them. 

Last season when they were 1-5 going into the bye and I wanted heads to roll.  They rallied to finish 7-9.  This gave some fans the delusion of progress. 

I really don't think they are capable of winning at the end of the season this year.  Actually think the Bears will sweep them. 
Can see the commercial to "try" and hype the last game of the season.. Bears @ Vikings for the better draft pick :lol:

They have a small chance vs. the Steelers as it is a short week, @ home and Steelers are in a tough battle vs. Ravens right now.

Rushing 3 on the last play and giving a 14 yard cushion from the 10 is the most Viking thing I’ve ever seen. I know they were short handed on D but Dantzler and Woods are basically starters. Their two minute defense is unbelievably bad. 
Rushing 3 the majority of that last drive was asinine.  It's why they couldn't stop them.  Goff is terrible under pressure and adequate when he has time......so let him have time the whole final drive.  Ugh.  Terrible coaching.

Rushing 3 on the last play and giving a 14 yard cushion from the 10 is the most Viking thing I’ve ever seen. I know they were short handed on D but Dantzler and Woods are basically starters. Their two minute defense is unbelievably bad. 
It was obvious on the first play of the final drive what was going to happen. 

Hmmmmm.. Had a long day yesterday and fell asleep during Half Time.. Figured 23-0 they should be able to hang on..

Wake up to find out they almost "pooped" on themselves yet again..

How the heck do you get up 29-0, in the 2nd half, and still almost lose the game??? :wall:  
Took a Smash play in the end zone, on the last play of the game, to not end up with the possibility of going into yet another OT..

If that doesn't send a single to the Wilf's that it is time to move on from Zimmer, I don't know what will.

This team just doesn't know how to get out of its own way.

Was texting a buddy during the game and he was calling the game at 23-0. I told him it was far from over and he acted like I was crazy.

I told him watch, all it will take is one Pittsburgh score and then a cascade of major errors and ineptitude will follow. Even at 29-0 I was absolutely convinced Vikings were still going to blow it.

The rest of the NFL fans just have not been paying any attention to Minnesota games this year.

We stink. But we’re still in it.

Rams, Wash, Niners, Panthers, Saints Falcons all lose today. To keep my playoff hopes alive and set me up for future heartbreak.

I would love to somehow sneak in and get matched up with the Cowboys and beat them, to rub it in all my local Cowboys friends faces. Even if we don’t go far.  I’m not getting my hopes too far up.

Apparently he got into verbal alterations with the coaching staff, at some point removed his cleats and argued or fought with players that tried to intervene. 

yeah, you ain’t good enough for all that. 

That’s fine, but he was obviously on the field for a reason. Vikings don’t have anything better. Whether the  guy is a clown or not, this hurts a defense that can’t afford to lose anyone
They absolutely have better if it makes dantzler a full time player. This is the dictionary definition of addition by subtraction, and breeland should have been benched or cut months ago. He should have never been signed in the first place.

I'd like to see Harrison hand, or parry nickerson play. They might stink too, but at least there is some upside there. Breeland shouldn't be in the NFL in my opinion, he's been a liability for years. 

Strange win.. But at least they won..

Feeling deja vue.. They'll win vs. The Bears at home to end the season.. So 8 wins..

Watch them somehow win either the Ram game or pull off a shocker in Green Bay to get 9 wins which might be enough this year for playoffs. Wilf's will once again fall for the "they got better down the stretch" and give Zimmer an extension..

And they will promptly lose wildcard weekend. And us fans get to look forward to another .500 season next year. :kicksrock:

Well. What needed to happen, happened to be in the drivers seat for that wildcard spot.

But I’m under the impression we need to win the next 3 to get in. And I’m under the impression this team can’t do that.

Maybe if we go 2-1 but there seems to be too many teams champing at the bit to see that working out.

Knowing this team we will pull off upsets against the Rams and Green Bay only to fall flat against Chicago and get bounced from the playoffs.

I hope that's not the case.  I am going to that Bears game (flying out from CA) with three Bears fans (one being my dad).  Hopefully the offense can play better that game so it's not so frustrating to watch.

Any stadium restrictions regarding Covid?  I went to a Raider game earlier and you had to be vaxxed and entered into this app that they checked like a ticket.  Is there anything like that going on here? 

Any info will be helpful.  I have been there once but any suggestions would be appreciated.  We fly in Friday and leave Monday and are staying at Mariott City Center.  We were thinking about going to the Wild game on Saturday but the ticket prices are outrageous.  

I hope that's not the case.  I am going to that Bears game (flying out from CA) with three Bears fans (one being my dad).  Hopefully the offense can play better that game so it's not so frustrating to watch.

Any stadium restrictions regarding Covid?  I went to a Raider game earlier and you had to be vaxxed and entered into this app that they checked like a ticket.  Is there anything like that going on here? 

Any info will be helpful.  I have been there once but any suggestions would be appreciated.  We fly in Friday and leave Monday and are staying at Mariott City Center.  We were thinking about going to the Wild game on Saturday but the ticket prices are outrageous.  
:hifive:

This is the Stadiums Covid Page: https://www.usbankstadium.com/stadium-info/covid-19-updates

As with everywhere else, it could change at any minute so I'd watch that site.

:hifive:

This is the Stadiums Covid Page: https://www.usbankstadium.com/stadium-info/covid-19-updates

As with everywhere else, it could change at any minute so I'd watch that site.
So based on that there are no specific requirement to be vaxxed and wearing a mask seems recommended.  Only other thing is no cash.  I don't really see anything else of consequence (as of right now).

Thanks for the link

ETA:  Any other suggestions for the weekend?  Any places downtown to go to or stay away from?  Any FBG's going to be at the game?  

Not so far. I've been to 4 games... still mask recommended with 0% wearing masks. No cash transactions though... need a card to buy food/beer. I'll let you know if I receive any advance messaging about the Rams game.

ETA:  Any other suggestions for the weekend?  Any places downtown to go to or stay away from?  Any FBG's going to be at the game?  
Sneaky Pete's is my go-to pregame. Far enough away to get decent parking, and right on the light rail line so you can get to the stadium in minutes. Has been less busy than non-covid years, but you'd still need to get there pretty early to get a table. I won't be there for the Bears game though. 

Pretty much out now. I say pretty much as IF the Packers play like they have the last two weeks, then the Vikes have a chance.. especially if they get Cook back.

But, I think it being in Green Bay, and the 2021 Vikings being who they are, they'll find a way to lose.. 

Which should make the final game of the season against the Bears meaningless. 

Off season changes may start after the GB game. :mellow:

Such BS narrative about lack of energy from fans. Scoring 3 points in a half might have had something to do with air being sucked out of the stadium. Just do something, anything, that makes fans cheer. The corgi race at halftime shouldn't be the most exciting thing to happen two hours in. 

Users who are viewing this thread