What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (3 Viewers)

Thats too bad.

One of my favorite Steelers players.
Even without the injury, you really can't compare the current Vikings to the current Steelers.  I'm a Steelers fan and although they have a great record, they are notoriously horrible on the road.  The Vikings are just playing at an elite level right now.  I don't anticipate a letdown with this Vikings team.  

Feel good about the defense this week?
Yes.  IMO Cam Newton is a bit overrated, especially if you force him to win the game by throwing.  He's pretty average in that regard.  His receivers aren't particularly scary.  The Vikes pass D is elite right now.

Heard in the last couple days that while the Vikings are the top seed right now, if both they and the Eagles win out, Philly would end up with the top seed.  Your team's loss to the Seahawks last week made me like our chances against you a bit more.  I haven't watched the Eagles much this year, but at the moment, I'm feeling awfully good about our ability to keep your offense down in a game between the two.  That doesn't mean we would necessarily win that game, but it seems like a 17-14 type affair to me.  I see the Eagles as by far the most difficult possible playoff matchup for us.  People are talking up the Packers nationally, but honestly, as things stand now, assuming no key injuries occur (cough, Rhodes, cough) I think the Vikings handle the Pack at Lambeau, Rodgers or no Rodgers.

How do you feel about a possible playoff game against the Vikes, GoBirds?

Herb said:
Yes.  IMO Cam Newton is a bit overrated, especially if you force him to win the game by throwing.  He's pretty average in that regard.  His receivers aren't particularly scary.  The Vikes pass D is elite right now.

Heard in the last couple days that while the Vikings are the top seed right now, if both they and the Eagles win out, Philly would end up with the top seed.  Your team's loss to the Seahawks last week made me like our chances against you a bit more.  I haven't watched the Eagles much this year, but at the moment, I'm feeling awfully good about our ability to keep your offense down in a game between the two.  That doesn't mean we would necessarily win that game, but it seems like a 17-14 type affair to me.  I see the Eagles as by far the most difficult possible playoff matchup for us.  People are talking up the Packers nationally, but honestly, as things stand now, assuming no key injuries occur (cough, Rhodes, cough) I think the Vikings handle the Pack at Lambeau, Rodgers or no Rodgers.

I thinks it's amazing how good you guys look given the QB situation and how guys like Thielan have just turned into studs. I haven't watched you guys enough to give an accurate assessment but your D looks good enough to slow anyone down, Keenum has been a stud I think I would just hope if we faced each other in the playoffs maybe QB is where our D could trip him up. I'm happy we are at where we are but think we probably aren't as good as our record says........this weekend will be a big game for us.

Good luck im rooting for you guys......or your defense at least this weekend!

:thumbup:

I thinks it's amazing how good you guys look given the QB situation and how guys like Thielan have just turned into studs. I haven't watched you guys enough to give an accurate assessment but your D looks good enough to slow anyone down, Keenum has been a stud I think I would just hope if we faced each other in the playoffs maybe QB is where our D could trip him up. I'm happy we are at where we are but think we probably aren't as good as our record says........this weekend will be a big game for us.

Good luck im rooting for you guys......or your defense at least this weekend!

:thumbup:
I’d just like to chime in and say that I LOVE great civil informed football discussion when it happens.

Herb said:

As I posted in the Eagles thread, I just don't think bolded is true.  It may not be false either.  I think it can't be determined yet.  

As I posted in the Eagles thread, I just don't think bolded is true.  It may not be false either.  I think it can't be determined yet.  
I think it gets down to something like a tie breaker based on opponent win % which I guess changes as more games go by? 

Vikings injury report

David Morgan has cleared concussion protocol and had a limited practice today. Would be nice to get him back.

Mike Remmers continues to not practice with a back injury so it is looking like the Vikings will be without him another week and start Rashod Hill at RT again. Sirles has been the back up tackle so far should anything happen to Reiff or Hill.

Panthers injury report

It looks like the Panthers will get Ryan Kalil back at center as he has two limited practices now. George Edwards mentioned this in press conference as well, so he seems to be expecting him to be able to play. 

The only starter who hasn't practiced is Shaq Thompson who if he can't play weakens the Panthers LB core. Thomas Davis has been limited in two practices now as well.

Funchess and Greg Olsen have had two full practices now, so the Vikings should expect both of those players to be ready to play.

Confirmed.  Barring some sort of miracle, the Vikings will in fact get the 1 seed if both teams win out.  
You guys are a little late to the party on this here, I guess you don't think Vikings fans would know or be right about this?

We knew that before the Eagles even played the Seahawks. Why else would I be cheering for the Seahawks to win if it didn't matter?

Why would I be posting about this in the thread if it were incorrect? I guess if the source isn't east coast it doesn't count or something?

The information was talked about right away on NFL network, post game show of Sunday Night football after the Eagles lost as well. Over 4 days ago.

The Eagles have faced a weaker schedule in terms of wins and losses of opponents.this is the 4th tie breaker as the first 3 tie breakers were not applicable.

There are still four games to be played, so it really doesn't mean anything. The Vikings still need to beat Carolina for it to matter, but the Vikings do control their own destiny right now.

If the Eagles drop another game and the Vikings don't, then it opens the possibility that the Vikings could already have home field advantage locked up in week 17, If that is the case then maybe the Vikings play Teddy Bridgewater against the Bears, as I already mentioned earlier in the thread.

But it doesn't matter. The Vikings need to beat Carolina to lock up the division and make that possible later on.

You guys are a little late to the party on this here, I guess you don't think Vikings fans would know or be right about this?

We knew that before the Eagles even played the Seahawks. Why else would I be cheering for the Seahawks to win if it didn't matter?

Why would I be posting about this in the thread if it were incorrect? I guess if the source isn't east coast it doesn't count or something?

The information was talked about right away on NFL network, post game show of Sunday Night football after the Eagles lost as well. Over 4 days ago.

The Eagles have faced a weaker schedule in terms of wins and losses of opponents.this is the 4th tie breaker as the first 3 tie breakers were not applicable.

There are still four games to be played, so it really doesn't mean anything. The Vikings still need to beat Carolina for it to matter, but the Vikings do control their own destiny right now.

If the Eagles drop another game and the Vikings don't, then it opens the possibility that the Vikings could already have home field advantage locked up in week 17, If that is the case then maybe the Vikings play Teddy Bridgewater against the Bears, as I already mentioned earlier in the thread.

But it doesn't matter. The Vikings need to beat Carolina to lock up the division and make that possible later on.
Sorry I was only responding to a recent post by your fellow Vikings fan Herb.  He indicated that he heard the Eagles would get homefield if both teams won out.  I just responded to him but didn’t go back through this thread so I had no idea it was discussed already.  My initial response was actually in the Eagles thread.  Not sure I’m following the “east coast” comment?  You can even see what I bolded in my response. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries.

Just seems strange to me that you folks in Pennsylvania are in the dark in regards to this.

If the Vikings and Eagles both lose the other 3 tie breakers such as conference record and common opponents will still have no effect as both teams play NFC teams that the other team has beaten.

Well I’m probably not representative of Eagles fans living in PA (mainly because I’m not an Eagles fan).  I’m actually a Steelers fan so I haven’t really kept up with the NFC playoff scenarios. I’m sure most Eagles fans knew the situation.  I was just responding to Herb’s post and TBH today is the first time I’ve even thought about it.

fred_1_15301 said:
Sorry I was only responding to a recent post by your fellow Vikings fan Herb.  He indicated that he heard the Eagles would get homefield if both teams won out.  I just responded to him but didn’t go back through this thread so I had no idea it was discussed already.  My initial response was actually in the Eagles thread.  Not sure I’m following the “east coast” comment?  You can even see what I bolded in my response. :shrug:  
Yeah sorry if I'm incorrect on this one, but FWIW the "voice of the Vikings" Paul Allen is saying again on his show this morning that if both teams win out, Eagles get the #1.  I was just trying to get confirmation as I have no reason to think he would be wrong, but haven't done the research myself.  Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering...

Yeah sorry if I'm incorrect on this one, but FWIW the "voice of the Vikings" Paul Allen is saying again on his show this morning that if both teams win out, Eagles get the #1.  I was just trying to get confirmation as I have no reason to think he would be wrong, but haven't done the research myself.  Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering...
We'll see how it plays out. Logic suggests it is not possible to forecast the 4th tiebreak with accuracy in week 14, because the past/future opponents either team beat could lose the rest of their games or win out in remaining games, and this would impact overall win % of all opponents at the conclusion of week 17. Not clear how it is possible to do that math with any accuracy in week 14, although I understand being able to do it as of week 14.

Paul Allen is wrong.

As Zimmer mentions in the press conference David Morgan did not clear all of concussion protocol, only part of it. He will not play and so Blake Bell and CJ Ham may play more snaps instead. Mike Remmers is out again, something the Vikings must be getting used to by now. He hasn't played since the bye.

Pat Elflien has been limited in practice all week with a shoulder injury. He is listed as questionable for the next game. While he will likely play, if he isn't able to go, or has to leave during the game, then I am not sure what the Vikings will choose to do. Joe Berger or Nick Easton can play center instead, but then either Jerimiah Sirles or Danny Isidora will have to play either left or right guard. Sirles is the back up tackle also, but he may be ahead of Isidora at guard still. I am not sure. Perhaps this means the Vikings will have Avante Collins active as another reserve tackle option.

Hopefully Elflien is fine and it won't matter. I am not sure who the Vikings will prefer at center though if Elflien does have to miss time.

Vikings injury report

The Pathers back up center Larsen is listed as questionable, but he hasn't practiced all week, while Ryan Kalil has. So we shold expect the better Kalil to play. They may have some shuffling to do also though if Larsen can't play and Kalil has to leave the game. Von Rotten is listed as the back up guard and 3rd center on their depth chart, so I suppose he would play in that scenario.

Shaq Thompson is out so Thomas Davis will need to play a lot of snaps for the Panthers in this game.Ben Jacobs is his back up but I don't know anything about him. The Vikings are missing Morgan, so they may not force the Panthers into base defense much anyways.

Devin Funchess did not practice on Friday. Not sure if this is just precautionary or if he had some sort of set back? He had two full practices then didn't practice today. If Funchess cannot play the Panthers receiving options get even slimmer. 

Greg Olsen did practice in full all 3 days, so I would expect to see a lot of him, and maybe they use a lot of 2 TE sets.

Listening to Berchich he talks about the Panthers using a lot of read option with McCaffrey and Stewart both in the backfield. He also mentions the Panthers using a lot of max protection (I wonder why Kalil?). The more the Panthers turtle up like this, the more it will invite the Vikings to blitz and the fewer options Newton will have to deliver the ball to.

The Vikings remind me of Jim Harbaugh's first year with the 49ers. Zimmer seems to have put all three phases of the game to be successful, especially at the quarterback position. Keenum last year with the Rams was horrid of course, but the Rams were horrid as a team. What I am impressed with is how the Vikings can make all the QB's who start or sub on their offense successful. The Vikings are a damn good team. Most of the key stats trend upwards. For Keenum to go from 9TDs to 11 INTs in 9 starts last season on a horridly coached Rams team last season to 16-5 in 10 starts this season is like Alex Smith going from 14-10 TD/INT in 2010 under the turmoil of Mike Singletary/Jim Tomsula as the coaches (like Keenum had with Fisher and an interim last season) to under Harbaugh with Smith going 17-5 TD/INT. 

49ers went 13-3 in 2011 on the way to the NFCC. I can't see how the Vikings can't go 14-2 and possibly one game better than the 49ers did in the NFCC. 

The Vikings remind me of Jim Harbaugh's first year with the 49ers. Zimmer seems to have put all three phases of the game to be successful, especially at the quarterback position. Keenum last year with the Rams was horrid of course, but the Rams were horrid as a team. What I am impressed with is how the Vikings can make all the QB's who start or sub on their offense successful. The Vikings are a damn good team. Most of the key stats trend upwards. For Keenum to go from 9TDs to 11 INTs in 9 starts last season on a horridly coached Rams team last season to 16-5 in 10 starts this season is like Alex Smith going from 14-10 TD/INT in 2010 under the turmoil of Mike Singletary/Jim Tomsula as the coaches (like Keenum had with Fisher and an interim last season) to under Harbaugh with Smith going 17-5 TD/INT. 

49ers went 13-3 in 2011 on the way to the NFCC. I can't see how the Vikings can't go 14-2 and possibly one game better than the 49ers did in the NFCC. 
By all you mean 2. 

I think Pat Shurmur has done a hell of a job with the offense since Norv Turner stepped down.

Shurmur seems likely to get a head coaching opportunity again after this season. The more the Vikings win, the more likely that becomes. I think he will be missed by the Vikings if he does move on to another team.

I think Shurmur learned some good things from Chip Kelly that he has been able to add to the west coast offense. Tony Sparano deserves some credit for turning around a terrible offensive line from last year (he coached that unit too) into what has become a above average offensive line with Reiff, Elflien, Remmers and HIll as the main new players. Easton and Berger played a lot last year but have been moved to guard this year.

Case Keenum deserves credit for improving as a QB himself, he is 29 years old right now and I think most QBs play their best football at age 28-32 of their careers if they can play well enough to get the opportunity in those years. It definitely helps that he has better WR to work with than what he had with the Rams and also a much better offensive line giving him time to find them.

Pat Shurmur certainly deserves a lot of credit for helping the QBs be successful and getting all of the components of the offense working well together though. With Norv Turner and Peterson the Vikings offense was pretty disjointed as far as half of it being built around Peterson and the other half around Bridgewater. The two types of offense did not mesh together well at all. Poor offensive line play made both halves of the offense a challenge to execute.

I somewhat come from the perspective that an offensive line takes time to develop. I hope the Vikings offensive line keeps improving, but the way that group has turned things around in just one season, has me changing my mind about that some. I really didn't expect them to be this good this quickly.

What I think Shurmur does well is to figure out what plays his players are good at executing and tailoring the offense around that. Norv Turner seemed to be doing the opposite as far as running his scheme and trying to find players to fit what he wanted to do, regardless of if that is what those players were best at or not.

Having a good defense of course makes things a bit easier for an offense, as the offense doesn't need to do as much. They are forced to press for points and can play within themselves and to their own strengths.

I don't think the special teams are as good as they have been. Cordarrlle Patterson and Percy Harvin before him made the kick returns excellent. The Vikings have not been as good in that area this year, which actually makes the offense do a bit more, shows up in the stat sheet and time of possession, as the offense isn't starting with as good field position as they have been. Sherels is still good on punt returns and the kick coverage has been good for the most part. The Kicker has missed extra points and field goals still, although some of those were not his fault. Forbath isn't really better or worse than Walsh in my view. Still an area that could be improved. The main step backwards or difference there is the kick returns are not as good.

Vikings at Panthers Matchup Breakdown: Two Top-10 Defenses Collide

Newton has struggled this season against the blitz. According to ESPN’s David Newton, the Panthers quarterback has a QBR of 54 when opponents bring an extra defender, the second-worst mark of his career. Amongst NFL quarterbacks, Newton ranks 22nd against the blitz. He has completed 55% of his pass attempts for six touchdowns and four interceptions when defenses bring the heat.

The Vikings blitz only 24 percent of the time. But when they do blitz, they’re effective. Minnesota’s defense has forced a QBR of 34 against the blitz, fifth-best in the NFL according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Vikings defense has given up an NFL-best 56 rushing yards to opposing quarterbacks this season. However, the unit has allowed three rushing touchdowns to the position.
Seems to me the Vikings know this and will bring the blitz more frequently than they do in most games because of it.

When they do bring the blitz it needs to be a disciplined rush that does not allow Newton to escape the pass rush and get yards running the ball. Something the Vikings have been very effective doing recently against QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton last year.

I think Pat Shurmur has done a hell of a job with the offense since Norv Turner stepped down.

Shurmur seems likely to get a head coaching opportunity again after this season. The more the Vikings win, the more likely that becomes. I think he will be missed by the Vikings if he does move on to another team.

I think Shurmur learned some good things from Chip Kelly that he has been able to add to the west coast offense. Tony Sparano deserves some credit for turning around a terrible offensive line from last year (he coached that unit too) into what has become a above average offensive line with Reiff, Elflien, Remmers and HIll as the main new players. Easton and Berger played a lot last year but have been moved to guard this year.

Case Keenum deserves credit for improving as a QB himself, he is 29 years old right now and I think most QBs play their best football at age 28-32 of their careers if they can play well enough to get the opportunity in those years. It definitely helps that he has better WR to work with than what he had with the Rams and also a much better offensive line giving him time to find them.

Pat Shurmur certainly deserves a lot of credit for helping the QBs be successful and getting all of the components of the offense working well together though. With Norv Turner and Peterson the Vikings offense was pretty disjointed as far as half of it being built around Peterson and the other half around Bridgewater. The two types of offense did not mesh together well at all. Poor offensive line play made both halves of the offense a challenge to execute.

I somewhat come from the perspective that an offensive line takes time to develop. I hope the Vikings offensive line keeps improving, but the way that group has turned things around in just one season, has me changing my mind about that some. I really didn't expect them to be this good this quickly.

What I think Shurmur does well is to figure out what plays his players are good at executing and tailoring the offense around that. Norv Turner seemed to be doing the opposite as far as running his scheme and trying to find players to fit what he wanted to do, regardless of if that is what those players were best at or not.

Having a good defense of course makes things a bit easier for an offense, as the offense doesn't need to do as much. They are forced to press for points and can play within themselves and to their own strengths.

I don't think the special teams are as good as they have been. Cordarrlle Patterson and Percy Harvin before him made the kick returns excellent. The Vikings have not been as good in that area this year, which actually makes the offense do a bit more, shows up in the stat sheet and time of possession, as the offense isn't starting with as good field position as they have been. Sherels is still good on punt returns and the kick coverage has been good for the most part. The Kicker has missed extra points and field goals still, although some of those were not his fault. Forbath isn't really better or worse than Walsh in my view. Still an area that could be improved. The main step backwards or difference there is the kick returns are not as good.
Bolded is so true. Offense looked terrible under Turner with AP. Just such a chore to get any momentum it seemed. 

Cam Newton Presents an Explosive, But Containable Threat for Smothering Vikings Defense

It is worth noting that Newton, like previous opponent Jared Goff, seems more sensitive to the defensive quality of his opponent than the average quarterback. For example, his games against the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots are highlights for him and they happen to be fairly poor defenses.

Klassen also mentioned Newton’s supporting cast. Though Newton hasn’t been great at getting the ball to his receivers on a consistent basis — Pro Football Focus regards him as having the fifth-worst accuracy rate in the NFL — he also doesn’t get much help on those occasions the ball actually hits his receivers’ hands; Carolina has the eighth-highest drop rate in the NFL.
Arif and the folks he talks to quoted in this article seem to think that the Vikings can have success by just rushing with their front four and leaving the back seven in coverage, limiting what the receivers can do with coverage and keeping Barr and Kendricks as spies on Newton for when he does try to scramble. This is different than the idea of a more blitz heavy approach and playing man coverage because of it put forth by myself and some of the other articles I have cited recently.

It will likely be a mixture of both. Whatever the Vikings decide to do, it needs to be built around keeping Newton from extending drives with his legs. Something I think the Vikings defense is very capable of doing. Other than that, they need solid coverage on Funchess, McCaffrey and Olsen. This puts a lot of pressure on Barr, Kendricks, Harrison Smith and Sendejo to play well, as their play will be key in dealing with Newton, Olsen and McCaffrey.

Vikings inactive

Tashawn Bower DE

Stacy Coley WR

Pat Elflein C

Jaleel Johnson DT

David Morgan TE

Mike Remmers OT

Kyle Sloter QB

So rookie Avantae Collins is active as the back up tackle as Sirles will be starting at left guard.

Guessing after that :X of a game many bandwagon jumpers will be breaking their ankles jumping off.

Have a feeling it will not be a fun plane ride home as Zimmer let's them have it. 

3rd road game in a row after winning the last 3 vs good teams. Uncharacteristic penalties, drops, turnovers. Uncharacteristic poor run defense. O-line injuries. 

Must they had a chance to go up by 4 with 3 minutes left. Had the ball with 2 mins left and a chance to drive and tie it. 

This was their worst performance since the Bears game (when Bradford went out). 

I’m not freaking out at this point. 

With Rogers be back next week?

Vikiings have the Bengals next at home.

Hopefully they can get some offensive linemen back healthy.

Really disappointed with how the Vikings played today. The defense struggled to stop the run and gave up big runs to Stewart early and Newton late.

Anthony Barr in particular did not play well from what I saw.

The offense was off due to Pat Elflien not starting. I did not expect them to get much push up the middle even with Elflien, but it got worse having to play Easton at center and Sirles at guard. Then when Reiff went out with injury, Hill moved to left tackle, Sirles to right tackle and Isidora at left guard. This meant every starter besides Berger was playing a position that they didn't practice at as a starter during the week.

Case Keenum did a good job keeping plays alive but he made some really poor throws. Drops by Rudolph, Thielen and Diggs were costly and too much for the Vikings to overcome with the other mistakes and weaknesses that got worse over the course of the game.

If the Vikings just execute they would have won this game.

Great play by Sendejo to give the Vikings a chance to win the game followed by a terrible missed tackling attempt on Newton that caused them to lose the game.

The had the division and 1st place in the NFL in their control but they blew it.

Hopefully they can rally and beat the Bengals at home. One game at a time, every game is very important. No telling if the Eagles will give the Vikings a chance to get the 1st seed back or not. Watching the Eagles Rams game (sort of) right now and the Eagles are not making the mistakes like the Vikings did against he Panthers.

Really need Riley Reiff back healthy. Would be nice to get Elflien and Remmers back too. 

Odd use of McKinnon today. Unless i’m Mistaken he ran 7/46 in the first half and they used Murray exclusively in the 2nd half?

Odd use of McKinnon today. Unless i’m Mistaken he ran 7/46 in the first half and they used Murray exclusively in the 2nd half?
Close enough.

McKinnon did not have any rushing attempts in the 2nd half. He did have 2 targets and one catch in the 2nd half.

The Vikings did lose Reiff in the 2nd half and were needing to throw the ball more to catch up, but I think using Murray in the 2nd half were pretty much wasted plays and that should have been obvious from the first half that trying to run up the middle was not working. No surprise there considering how good the Panthers defensive tackles are and the Vikings already being thin inside without Elflien.

Murray had 5 rushing attempts and 1 target in the 2nd half. He didn't do much.

Zimmer on Reiff's Injury, Thielen's Overturned TD, More

Zimmers says Keenum is the starting QB next week. He is asked if Keenum is the starter for the rest of the season later on, and he is clearly ticked off by the question. He says he hasn't named any starter the starter for the whole season so why would the QB be any different. Making it clear that all players are considered on a week to week basis. Its pretty funny to me. He makes it clear and seems to hope that by doing so the reporters will stop asking him this question, but of course they likely will keep asking. They are looking for stuff to write about.

He seems optimistic about Reiff, saying his injury isn't as bad as they worried about. For whatever thats worth. He says he doesn't really know anything about players health until Wednesday when they practice.

On the 60 yard run by Stewart he says that defenders got knocked down, and that two players got out of position, playing too far to the outside. I think this may be Kendricks and Gedeon, but I am not sure, I would have to see the play again. I know Barr was not blocked, but he didn't make the play.

Another interesting thing is when he is asked about Thielens TD catch that was ruled incomplete after review. He says he is used to stuff like this, but in his opinion that was a catch. It is something he will ask the league for an explanation about, so he can understand the rules. He then says that all of the things he asked for explanations about from before this week were never answered. He is throwing the league under the bus a bit with this comment, and clarifies that up until this point he has gotten a response from the league on these things each week, but that he hasn't got a response to his last list of questions (I think he is referring the questions from the Thanksgiving game not the Atlanta game).and says maybe they forgot.

If they forgot its unprofessional.

The other thing that is funny is that he is asked about resting offensive linemen for the playoffs. He can't believe the reporter asks this question. He says that if players are healthy, they play. Full stop. He says they aren't in the playoffs yet. The players need to play.

Zimmers animosity for the press is pretty comical to me.

Zimmer on Reiff's Injury, Thielen's Overturned TD, More

Zimmers says Keenum is the starting QB next week. He is asked if Keenum is the starter for the rest of the season later on, and he is clearly ticked off by the question. He says he hasn't named any starter the starter for the whole season so why would the QB be any different. Making it clear that all players are considered on a week to week basis. Its pretty funny to me. He makes it clear and seems to hope that by doing so the reporters will stop asking him this question, but of course they likely will keep asking. They are looking for stuff to write about.

He seems optimistic about Reiff, saying his injury isn't as bad as they worried about. For whatever thats worth. He says he doesn't really know anything about players health until Wednesday when they practice.

On the 60 yard run by Stewart he says that defenders got knocked down, and that two players got out of position, playing too far to the outside. I think this may be Kendricks and Gedeon, but I am not sure, I would have to see the play again. I know Barr was not blocked, but he didn't make the play.

Another interesting thing is when he is asked about Thielens TD catch that was ruled incomplete after review. He says he is used to stuff like this, but in his opinion that was a catch. It is something he will ask the league for an explanation about, so he can understand the rules. He then says that all of the things he asked for explanations about from before this week were never answered. He is throwing the league under the bus a bit with this comment, and clarifies that up until this point he has gotten a response from the league on these things each week, but that he hasn't got a response to his last list of questions (I think he is referring the questions from the Thanksgiving game not the Atlanta game).and says maybe they forgot.

If they forgot its unprofessional.

The other thing that is funny is that he is asked about resting offensive linemen for the playoffs. He can't believe the reporter asks this question. He says that if players are healthy, they play. Full stop. He says they aren't in the playoffs yet. The players need to play.

Zimmers animosity for the press is pretty comical to me.
I love Mike Zimmer.

Four plays killed them.  The two long runs by Stewart and Cam, and the two facemask calls on the second Carolina touchdown drive.  The first erased what would have been 4th and long (and a Carolina punt), and the second erased a sack by Griffin just a few plays later.  The defense was just starting to turn the momentum of the game in Minnesota's favor at that point, and those penalties were killers.  Had they stopped Carolina on that drive, I think there is a very good chance we see a different outcome. 

I would really like to see a return of the 5-yard face-mask penalty.   Give the officials the opportunity to differentiate between an egregious foul and something that is minor in nature.  A brush of the face-mask does not warrant a personal foul.  So what if the refs get it wrong once in a while (they do that as it is, but they get more right than wrong). 

Users who are viewing this thread