What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (6 Viewers)

So I was hearing on channel four news just now that Reiff isn't expected to play this week against the Bengals. Kyle Rudolph also didn't practice but they sounded more optimistic about him being able to play.

oof

So this would mean Rashod Hill at left tackle and Jeremiah Sirles at right tackle if Remmers cannot play. However Mike Remmers did have a limited practice, so if he can play it would be great to get him back finally. Pat Elflien had a limited practice today, so if they can get him back then Easton can move back to left guard

Hoping the news I heard on Reiff may be wrong but the blocking would improve from last week if they can get Elflien and Remmers back even if he doesn't. If all 3 cant go it will be ugly again.

Vikings Practice report

There are quite a few players who did not practice today.

Riley Reiff

Emanuel Lamur

Kyle Rudolph

Mackenzie Alexander

Xavier Rhodes

Blake Bell

I haven't heard anything about the status of Rhodes and Alexander. Rhodes seems like he has been dealing with something for several week now, but has been able to play through it. Alexander has a rib injury, not sure how serious that is. Hoping to get both of them back. Its great to have depth though as at least the still have Waynes and Newman if both of them can't play. The nickle corner is where things would get sketchy though. Marcus Sherels and Trumane Brock might have to play then. Horace Richardson is the only corner currently on the practice squad.

The Vikings are very thin at TE right now also with Rudolph and Bell not practicing. Good news there is that David Morgan did have a limited practice today, so maybe they will get him back.

The Bengals have been struggling to stop the run this year and the Bears ran all over them in the most recent game. So maybe the Vikings will be able to run the ball even if the offensive line doesn't get Reiff back.

Zimmer on Health of the O-Line, Facing His Former Team

Zimmer sounds optimistic about getting Eifert and Remmers back this week and possibly RIley Reiff as well.

He isn't sure about Kule Rudolph.

The rest of this interview is just Zimmer saying nice things about the Bengals.

Vikings practice report

David Morgan had a full practice, so it will be good to get him back as the Vikings best blocking TE. That will help Hill in pass protection and also helps the run blocking.

Xavier Rhodes had a limited practice, which is a good sign. Alexander did not practice on Thursday. He has a rib injury, so he may be out.

Reiff did not practice again, but Zimmer is leaving it open to the possibility of him playing.

Zimmer on Adding Kyle Carter, Injuries, Bengals Run Defense

The Vikings promoted TE Kyle Carter from the practice squad to the active roster to take the place of Blake Bell who was put on IR. Kyle Rudolph did not practice again on Friday and is listed as doubtful for the game on Sunday. This means that David Morgan and Kyle Carter are the only TE likely to be active for the game against the Bengals.

Alexander out, Rudolph and Reiff doubtful vs. Bengals

The good news here is that Xavier Rhodes had a full practice on Friday so the Vikings should have him, Trey Waynes and Terrence Newman at corner. Also Mike Remmers had a full practice and should finally return to the line up this week. Pat Elflien also had a full practice and should return as well. So the only starting lineman missing for the next game will be Reiff. Rashod Hill will replace him and has been practicing at left tackle this week.

Zimmer underplays the Bengals weakness against the run in his interview, but they have been struggling to stop the run this season. This should help the Vikings to run the ball much better than last week and Case Keenum is much more successful passing from play action than he does on normal pass plays.

Vikings practice report

For the Bengals

Out- Burfict, Kirkpatrick, Minter, Vigil

Doubtful- Johnson

Questionable- Mixon, Williams

The Bengals have 3 of their linebackers listed as out for this game, which should also help the Vikings running game.

It does look like they will have Joe Mixon and Giovanni Bernard available at RB.

Shurmur on O-Line, Tight End Injuries, Drops vs. Panthers

Pat Shurmur says that Rashod Hill keeps playing better each game. He says he is very good in pass protection and getting better as a run blocker. He also says Jermiah Sirles has improved from last year.

Shurmur doesn't mention this, but I would speculate that David Morgan is going to play a lot of snaps and I would expect CJ Ham to play more than Kyle Carter does, although Carter has played some in preseason. The Vikings may use more 3 WR sets than usual as well due to the lack of depth at TE. Also the Bengals being without Kirpatrick does weaken their defensive back depth, so a 3rd WR may see better match ups as a result of that.

Would have been real nice for philly to drop that one today. But they still look a little lost without wentz even though foles didn’t play too bad.

Of all the teams at the top of the NFC, our defense definitely stands out.
Really wish Wentz was playing. I believe the Eagles are the benefactors of a weak schedule and aren't as good as people think/thought. Now they'll fall back on the QB excuse. 

:excited: .. Hopefully they bring that same intensity next week.
Its going to be a big game.

The Vikings need the win in order to keep the 1st week bye in the playoffs and maintain home field advantage.

Monday Night if Atlanta wins the Packers are out of the playoffs. If Atlanta loses Monday night then the Packers still have a (slim) chance to make it.

Just listening to Tony Dungy who says he would not play Rodgers if the Packers can't make the playoffs. Of course its not his call though and I would expect him to play regardless of what Atlanta does.

Atlanta plays the Buics, so seems pretty likely they will win and make the Packers decision more difficult.

Its going to be a big game.

The Vikings need the win in order to keep the 1st week bye in the playoffs and maintain home field advantage.

Monday Night if Atlanta wins the Packers are out of the playoffs. If Atlanta loses Monday night then the Packers still have a (slim) chance to make it.

Just listening to Tony Dungy who says he would not play Rodgers if the Packers can't make the playoffs. Of course its not his call though and I would expect him to play regardless of what Atlanta does.

Atlanta plays the Buics, so seems pretty likely they will win and make the Packers decision more difficult.
I guess the Packers are considering sitting Rodgers if Atlanta wins tomorrow. Some of those INTS by Rodgers today clearly showed his arm strength isn't quite there. But think they would have to steal his helmet to keep him out. :shrug:

I guess the Packers are considering sitting Rodgers if Atlanta wins tomorrow. Some of those INTS by Rodgers today clearly showed his arm strength isn't quite there. But think they would have to steal his helmet to keep him out. :shrug:
Yeah I am expecting him to play.

The way Vikings are playing... Am I only one think that Vikings are actually legit Super Bowl contending team, possibly accomplish something that no one else have done?  Playing Super Bowl at its home stadium?  

The way Vikings are playing... Am I only one think that Vikings are actually legit Super Bowl contending team, possibly accomplish something that no one else have done?  Playing Super Bowl at its home stadium?  
No, you're not.  But the national sports media has seemingly been kinda slow to embrace the team, for whatever reason (Cook injury, Keenum as starting QB, last season's collapse, team history, etc).  And Viking fans (at least the ones older than 30) are a bitter, cynical bunch who have seen the Vikings collapse so spectacularly so many times that they are reticent to put too much emotional investment into the team.  Hence, a lack of steam regarding their chances to make history.  Plus Philly looks awfully good (and are in a major East Coast market) and the NFC is freaking loaded this year.

I thought Vikings were for real until they got outplayed by Panthers last week.  
They still are for real.  That was their third consecutive road game against a winning team.  The last time a team won 3 straight road games against winning teams?  50 years ago.  That loss was not a big deal.

I thought Vikings were for real until they got outplayed by Panthers last week.  
I wouldn't call that loss as the Vikings being outplayed by the Panthers.

The Vikings didn't play good enough to win that game and they made some bad mistakes giving up two big runs.

Receivers dropped the ball and the Diggs drop resulted in an interception. Adam Thielen failed to convert several TD opportunities.

I see it more as the Vikings beat themselves with some mistakes and poor play on their part than the Pathers being the better team.

No, you're not.  But the national sports media has seemingly been kinda slow to embrace the team, for whatever reason (Cook injury, Keenum as starting QB, last season's collapse, team history, etc).  And Viking fans (at least the ones older than 30) are a bitter, cynical bunch who have seen the Vikings collapse so spectacularly so many times that they are reticent to put too much emotional investment into the team.  Hence, a lack of steam regarding their chances to make history.  Plus Philly looks awfully good (and are in a major East Coast market) and the NFC is freaking loaded this year.
I can never take anything for granted after the 1998 season.

I wouldn't call that loss as the Vikings being outplayed by the Panthers.

The Vikings didn't play good enough to win that game and they made some bad mistakes giving up two big runs.

Receivers dropped the ball and the Diggs drop resulted in an interception. Adam Thielen failed to convert several TD opportunities.

I see it more as the Vikings beat themselves with some mistakes and poor play on their part than the Pathers being the better team.
I agreed... That's why I appreciated Vikings' sense of urgency to wrap up NFC North division by shutting down Bengals.  Their defense probably is the best in the entire league and their offense simply just need to keep their team fload, scoring-wise.   I noticed few teams didnt play with similar urgency in critical game (Eagles and Saints).  

Kinda of surprised the Packers didn't wait until Thursday or Friday to make the announcement about Rodgers... Make the Vikings prepare for Rodgers then.. Just kidding, deal with the slippery running QB.. :)

Zimmer won't let them relax, but after what Cam did a couple weeks ago they do need to put a spy on him. 

Barr, Griffen, Rhodes and Thielen make the Pro Bowl

Not sure how Harrison Smith didn't get in. I'd have probably gone with Kendricks over Barr as well. Barr doesn't seem like he's having a particularly strong season (at least by his standards)

Aaron Rodgers being put on IR does remove some of the drama from the next game. Oh well.

Still can't take them lightly. Its possible that Rodgers is still not healthy enough for him to be a better option than Hundley? I dunno about that, but Rodgers did throw 3 interceptions, so maybe.

I agree with sports_fan that I think Harrison Smith should have made the pro bowl. I mean what safeties were voted in over him?

Kendricks has made some mistakes this year, just not lately. I tend to think he is better than Barr also, but I am not sure either LB deserved to make the pro bowl. They are good, but there are a lot of other good LBers in the league.

Zimmer says Barr has played well this year. I do think he has been better than last year, but he still isn't making many splash plays. Going back to that draft I would have preferred Shazier over Barr. I realize Shazier is hurt now, but I think he has played better than Barr overall. Not sure if Barr is worth a huge contract. The pro bowl will be another accolade for his agent to use to get one.

So what needs to happen for the Vikings to get the 1 seed in the nfc?
Well the Vikings need to gain a win for it to be a tie. So win both of the next two games and the Eagles lose a game.

I suppose if the Eagles lost both of their games the Vikings could tie their winning record as one other way.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss
The Vikings do not play the Eagles this year so thats out.

The win percentage in the division currently goes to the Eagles who only have one loss to the Seahawks in the NFC. So the Eagles need to lose to Dallas week 17 and the Vikings need to win both of the games against NFC opponents. The Eagles play the Raiders this week which doesn't matter for this tie breaker, although a loss by the Eagles and a Wn for the Vikings would make them tied, the Eagles still win this tiebreaker unless they lose lo Dallas and the Vikings win their last two games.

I think the eagles would win off the 3rd tiebreaker also, as they beat Carolina and the Vikings didn't. So even a loss to Dallas might not be enough. The Vikings may need them to lose both games and win both of their games, in which case then the Vikings would just win on record.

The Vikings did have the top seed briefly based on the fourth tie breaker, but that was before they lost to Carolina. That was an important loss as far as seeding and tiebreakers.

The Vikings need to win the next two games

Biabreakable said:
Well the Vikings need to gain a win for it to be a tie. So win both of the next two games and the Eagles lose a game.

I suppose if the Eagles lost both of their games the Vikings could tie their winning record as one other way.

The Vikings do not play the Eagles this year so thats out.

The win percentage in the division currently goes to the Eagles who only have one loss to the Seahawks in the NFC. So the Eagles need to lose to Dallas week 17 and the Vikings need to win both of the games against NFC opponents. The Eagles play the Raiders this week which doesn't matter for this tie breaker, although a loss by the Eagles and a Wn for the Vikings would make them tied, the Eagles still win this tiebreaker unless they lose lo Dallas and the Vikings win their last two games.

I think the eagles would win off the 3rd tiebreaker also, as they beat Carolina and the Vikings didn't. So even a loss to Dallas might not be enough. The Vikings may need them to lose both games and win both of their games, in which case then the Vikings would just win on record.

The Vikings did have the top seed briefly based on the fourth tie breaker, but that was before they lost to Carolina. That was an important loss as far as seeding and tiebreakers.

The Vikings need to win the next two games
That's within a division. Conference different?

That's within a division. Conference different?
I don't think so. What I quoted are tiebreaker rules for conference seeding that does not involve wild card teams.

What you linked covers it pretty concisely.

Basically the Vikings still need to win games or risk the Panthers taking the 2nd seed from them. This is complicated by the fact that the Panthers have lost to the Saints, so the Panthers may be a wild card team even if they win and the saints win too. There are slightly different tiebreaker rules for wild card teams than division winners.

Bottom line is that the Vikings need to win to hold on to the bye, because they lose the head to head tiebreaker against Carolina if they both have the same record. They need to stay a game ahead of the Panthers.

It's hard to believe Randle just turned 50. Time flies. He was at his peak during my childhood and is a big part of my earliest Vikings memories

Users who are viewing this thread