What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (2 Viewers)

I dont stop until the clock reaches zero. Thats it!

I am glad the Vikings are lucky and good.

Not sure how a game could be any more dramatic. Then to win on the last play of the game when everyone expects the opposite.

Just a stunning result after the early lead was squandered and the Saints made better second half adjustments.

No idea how things will go against the Eagles. Their defense is very good but Keenums horseshoe or whatever it is still working. Nice to have another game to worry about.

Anyone else happy Philly won? I didn't really like being 2nd NFC game, possibly knowing you could play at home throughout. Just seemed like the sort of thing that could distract from the task at hand.
Not really.

I think the Vikings definitely have a home advantage. Having to travel to the cold and Eagles field sucks.

Just glad they actually get the opportunity. But no doubt in my mind it would be an easier game vs the Falcons at home compared to the Eagles away.

Can zimmer finally give Case some love? 

Seriously there's no question he's the Vikings starting QB next year. Even if that means franchising him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we zimmer finally give Case some love? 

Seriously there's no question he's the Vikings starting QB next year. Even if that means franchising him.
Ha!!

Teddy Bridgewater!

I think Case needs to win it all to earn that trust.

He did do some nice work with extending plays and it was also critical to get rid of that ball instead of taking the sack. 

The Vikings offense was playing from the ground too much though and the offensive line had issues with Cameron Jordan and Rankins on the right side of this game. I thought Hill might get more help than that.

But hey they found a way.

Ha!!

Teddy Bridgewater!

I think Case needs to win it all to earn that trust.
If they're stupid enough to give Case away for an unproven guy who didn't even do that well when he played, another team will reap the reward. 

I get that's what they seem to prefer but it's the wrong call.

If they're stupid enough to give Case away for an unproven guy who didn't even do that well when he played, another team will reap the reward. 

I get that's what they seem to prefer but it's the wrong call.
I'm just joking.

Seriously though he needs to keep this going.

Anyone else happy Philly won? I didn't really like being 2nd NFC game, possibly knowing you could play at home throughout. Just seemed like the sort of thing that could distract from the task at hand.
Very happy. I think we are a better version of their team. 

Very happy. I think we are a better version of their team. 
Overall defensively you are for sure.  I like Philly's pass rush better.  Being in Philly helps eagles alot.  This is going to be a great game. If it's in MN I think you guys win by a couple scores 

Plays like that don't happen for us. Is this a setup for something way worse come next week? :lol:

Seriously I am in such a good mood today because of that ending

Mackenzie Alexander should be a better player than he is right now. I thought he'd be good.

Their weakest link is lack of secondary depth.
He didn't have a very good game. He has played better than that in previous games this year.

Newman got beat for a TD.

Brees is good.

Still think the Vikings secondary is a strength and deeper than what most other teams have. We have seen Waynes continue to get better over time as well. He got beat several times in this game as did Rhodes.

Did I mention Brees is good?

The coverage and overall defense did seem to slip after Sendejo was injured. Brees went right after Harris with their TE Hill after that.

Its relative to other teams in my view and the Vikings secondary depth is better than most NFL teams in my opinion, so I wouldn't call that the weakest link really.

He didn't have a very good game. He has played better than that in previous games this year.

Newman got beat for a TD.

Brees is good.

Still think the Vikings secondary is a strength and deeper than what most other teams have. We have seen Waynes continue to get better over time as well. He got beat several times in this game as did Rhodes.

Did I mention Brees is good?

The coverage and overall defense did seem to slip after Sendejo was injured. Brees went right after Harris with their TE Hill after that.

Its relative to other teams in my view and the Vikings secondary depth is better than most NFL teams in my opinion, so I wouldn't call that the weakest link really.
I think even if Rhodes was in there and played that coverage they still score.. I wrote that one off as just excellent play call/route running. Considering Newman's age I'm surprised each day he can even take the field ;)

The limited amount I've seen Alexander this year he's been atrocious.
You mean that big tackle that he blew up the swing pass in the backfield a few weeks ago?

Maybe, just maybe your seeing things a bit glass half full.

The Vikings let Munnerlyn walk in free agency and there haven't been many plays where I was wishing they kept him. Something I was not sure about at all going into the season.

If Alexanders plays has been atrocious as you say, I think I would have been pining for Munnerlyn a bit more than not at all.

Waynes wasn't playing all that well last year, his second season in the league. He had some growing pains at the beginning of this year as well. He really improved though and I expect Alexander to take another step forward in his development next year similar to Waynes the second half of this year.

This is likely Newmans last season so Alexander will play more next year because of that and we will get to see him more. His tackling (which was a weakness of his with Clemson) has really improved from what he was doing as a rookie to his second season for sure.

The 2017 Pro Football Focus Grades of Every Minnesota Viking

Talking about the low grades for Reiff and Elflien:

“For starters, the Vikings faced a murderer’s row of defensive tackles this season,” he wrote. “They matched up with DTs that ranked 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19. That’s crazy-hard competition for a even the best of the best,” he continued. “The Vikings also asked a lot of their linemen. They ran the second highest percentage of play-action passes and a high percentage of screens. Case Keenum also held the ball for the seventh most time of any quarterback.”
The Eagles have a very good defensive tackle and defensive line in general. Not going to get any easier.

Interesting the move of Remmers to left guard now. Perhaps something they decided to do after studying the remaining 3 teams. That they needed to get better inside against these Tackles, Cox, Donald or the Panthers defensive tackles.

Rankins was able to get pressure beating Hill on stunts and Cameron Jordan had a couple drives where he was causing too much pressure against Hill and Berger.

The cornerbacks-

Xavier Rhodes – 83.9 (#28 of 121)

Terence Newman – 82.1 (#37 CB)

Trae Waynes – 79.1 (#52 CB)

Marcus Sherels – 71.7

Mackensie Alexander – 45.9

Tramaine Brock – 45.3
Looks like PFF has a similar view of Alexanders play as Andy has.

He played 323 snaps on defense, 32.5% of the defensive snaps, so one out of every 3 and mostly passing downs.

Newman played 555 defensive snaps, 55.7% of the defensive snaps. He played a lot more than Alexander and played much better than him.

This does show that Waynes has played close to as good as Newman and Rhodes this year also though.

FWIW they grade Anthony Harris as a 81.5 Sendejo is graded 86.4 so significantly better than Harris, but Harris still on a similar level as the 3 starting corners. Not sure he has played that well, but he did have some good plays when Sendejo was out before.

Any news on Sendejo’s health/status?

I was too jazzed up last night to ever hear what it was. I assume concussion, but haven’t seen anything reported.

Edit: a quick google shows he’s in concussion protocol but feeling better today. :fingers crossed:

Any news on Sendejo’s health/status?

I was too jazzed up last night to ever hear what it was. I assume concussion, but haven’t seen anything reported.

Edit: a quick google shows he’s in concussion protocol but feeling better today. :fingers crossed:
I was just listening to player interviews with Rhodes and Thielen from today.

Both of them when asked about Sendejo sounded positive. 

He got knocked out though and sometimes these concussions take awhile for the player to clear protocol.

Seems pretty clear the defense is better with him in the line up. I was a bit surprised with PFF grade on Harris actually being pretty good, but Sendejo the more experienced and better player when healthy right now.

So was Aviante Collins use vs the Bears just a result of Rudolph being limited, or is it something we might see trying to run against a tough Eagles D?

Both tackles got a steady dose of “muscle” from Collins. He played 24 snaps. In his 22 snaps that weren’t kneel-downs, the Vikings gained 150 yards (6.8 yards per snap) and scored three touchdowns. And that doesn’t include a 27-yard completion that was negated by a holding penalty on running back Latavius Murray.

“We prepared the whole week for this; go in there and beef it up with an extra tackle who can play tight end,” Collins said. “That’s a good defense. Just line up and push their big guys back.”

Collins played 10 offensive snaps against the Saints. So about half as many plays as the Vikings used him against the Bears.

Interesting to me that they use Collins as the 6th lineman and not Sirles, who is ahead of Collins in terms of the depth chart if one of the other starters went down, has been a starter at left guard for several games before.

Honestly I thought they would use Collins more than they did. I thought using him to help double team Cameron Jordan made a lot of sense.

One of the plays Keenum was sacked/hurried on was a play where they had Rudolph one on one with Jordan. McKinnon could have helped chip, but went out on a pass route instead. Rudolph got destroyed on the play. Big surprise there eh?

I'm really hoping that Sirles starts at LG...Remmers did not look good there and the run game suffered because of it. Don't really care who plays RT but I think Sirles has to start at LG.

Sigh.

So here we are again Viking faithful, with another crack at a trip to the SB.  I really enjoyed last week leading up to the game, and obviously the game itself.  I'm trying to keep that feeling going.  I don't want to buy in completely on an emotional level, as I don't want to feel like I did in 09 and 98.  I do feel a lot better about this game than I did going into the Saints game in 09.  I don't fear the Eagles as much as I did the Saints, I think this team is better all around than the 09 squad, and I have a lot more confidence in this teams' players and coaching staff.

But, we're on the road going against an absolutely crushing defense, playing outdoors, and doing so without a QB I have absolute faith in.  The doubt that goes along with being a long time Viking fan is creeping in.  I just hope this is a good game and if the Vikings lose, they do so in a manner that is not absolutely crushing.  Let the Eagles just flat out beat them and prove to be the better team instead of handing them the game due to mistakes or something fluky.

Or maybe just freaking crush those filthy green birds and go to the SB.

Sorry I'm rambling, just needed to do a little venting.

#BRING IT HOME

SKOL

Sigh.

So here we are again Viking faithful, with another crack at a trip to the SB.  I really enjoyed last week leading up to the game, and obviously the game itself.  I'm trying to keep that feeling going.  I don't want to buy in completely on an emotional level, as I don't want to feel like I did in 09 and 98.  I do feel a lot better about this game than I did going into the Saints game in 09.  I don't fear the Eagles as much as I did the Saints, I think this team is better all around than the 09 squad, and I have a lot more confidence in this teams' players and coaching staff.
I find myself in sort of an interesting emotional state with this squad. On the one hand, we are 1 win away from a Super Bowl, which are the highest of stakes. On the other hand, this team has already exceeded all of my 2017 expectations reaching a conference championship, so my inclination is to look at the coming game as potential gravy. It will definitely be disappointing if we lose, but for me not even in the same neighborhood of disappointment as 1998 or 2001. Those were just special teams, where star power set increasing super bowl expectations throughout the year. Here, we're talking about a squad that has overcome injuries to starting RB/QB. Regardless of what Vegas says, this team is constructed to be in a 13-10 dogfight that can go either way. I just feel more "Why not us? Why not now?" than "OMG I hope we don't find a way to blow a game we should clearly win."

I find myself in sort of an interesting emotional state with this squad. On the one hand, we are 1 win away from a Super Bowl, which are the highest of stakes. On the other hand, this team has already exceeded all of my 2017 expectations reaching a conference championship, so my inclination is to look at the coming game as potential gravy. It will definitely be disappointing if we lose, but for me not even in the same neighborhood of disappointment as 1998 or 2001. Those were just special teams, where star power set increasing super bowl expectations throughout the year. Here, we're talking about a squad that has overcome injuries to starting RB/QB. Regardless of what Vegas says, this team is constructed to be in a 13-10 dogfight that can go either way. I just feel more "Why not us? Why not now?" than "OMG I hope we don't find a way to blow a game we should clearly win."
exact same way I'm feeling! That end of the game last week has me feeling this destiny thing a little now though!

Todd Haley available...
:popcorn:

Certainly could do a lot worse. No ideas how his schemes would work with the Vikings or his personality with Zimmer's. Hate to see Shurmer go, but it does seem like a team with the recent track record of Minnesota would be able to pull some high level talent for that job.

:popcorn:

Certainly could do a lot worse. No ideas how his schemes would work with the Vikings or his personality with Zimmer's. Hate to see Shurmer go, but it does seem like a team with the recent track record of Minnesota would be able to pull some high level talent for that job.
I could be way off on this but seems like Pitt uses a TON of downfield passing, which invokes memories of how Turner wanted this offense to run. That puts a lot of emphasis on pass protection. We're definitely better in that area this year, but it was square peg/round hole last year and doubt we could protect well enough yet to support a predominant downfield passing offense. OL aside, I also question whether we have a gunslinger type QB to carry it out. 

I could be way off on this but seems like Pitt uses a TON of downfield passing, which invokes memories of how Turner wanted this offense to run. That puts a lot of emphasis on pass protection. We're definitely better in that area this year, but it was square peg/round hole last year and doubt we could protect well enough yet to support a predominant downfield passing offense. OL aside, I also question whether we have a gunslinger type QB to carry it out. 
Your right that Todd Haley runs a version of the Coryell system same as Norv Turner. The Vikings have been having success with more of a west coast offense than Norv's system.

Here is a pretty interesting article about Todd Haleys offense: Steelers Film Room: Todd Haley’s Playbook now he has done some creative things such as bunch WR sets that I see the Vikings using at times.

I would prefer to hire a coach whos terminology is from the WCO so that players do not have to start all over again with a very different system. I think some of the Vikings personnel fit the WCO better than the Coryell offense that Norv Turner was running. Getting rid of the ball quicker.

It would be great to have a starting QB who can push the ball down the field more accurately. I do think those plays are in the offense, it just that Shurmur calls plays that Case is good at executing, so you aren't going to see too many of those.

Not sure who the best WCO OC candidates might be when the Vikings need to address that, but I think I would prefer one of those coaches over Haley.

There is the Parcells and Zimmer connection though. They worked together with Parcels 2004-2006

Sigh.

But, we're on the road going against an absolutely crushing defense, playing outdoors, and doing so without a QB I have absolute faith in.  The doubt that goes along with being a long time Viking fan is creeping in.  I just hope this is a good game and if the Vikings lose, they do so in a manner that is not absolutely crushing.  Let the Eagles just flat out beat them and prove to be the better team instead of handing them the game due to mistakes or something fluky.

Or maybe just freaking crush those filthy green birds and go to the SB.

Sorry I'm rambling, just needed to do a little venting.

#BRING IT HOME

SKOL
:goodposting:  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Users who are viewing this thread