What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (5 Viewers)

Sorry Donny but we definitely need an upgrade at the RB position....even if we re-sign Asiata.  Totally agree we need more help on O-line but the way I see us going into the draft, we have a few holes to fill in a few spaces.

FREE AGENCY: Vikings Sign Former Packers Defensive Lineman Datone Jones

Seems like a nice move to provide depth at under tackle and end.

USC connection with Jones, Kendricks, Barr.
If he moves back to DE I think this will be a very good signing for MIN. If they leave him at OLB, he's really JAG there. He's okay. He will make some big plays but mostly you won't hear his name from a positive or negative standpoint. 

I think it was definitely a failed draft pick as he never lived up to 1st round status, however he's good enough to start and won't cost you the game. In that defense he might flourish as there is a lot of talent around him. 

Vikings signed WR Adam Thielen to a three-year, $17 million contract with $11 million guaranteed.  After catching 20 total passes in his first 32 career games, Thielen had a massive 2016 as the No. 2 receiver when he passed Charles Johnson for the job behind Stefon Diggs. Thielen finished the year with 69 catches for 967 yards (14.0 YPR) and five touchdowns. He was scheduled for restricted free agency this year, and the Vikings placed a second-round tender on him last week. Thielen made it known he was looking for a multi-year deal. He should be locked into the No. 2 job, while 2016 first-rounder Laquon Treadwell will compete for snaps in three-wide sets.

---

Well, not a bad (re-)signing, but I didn't think there would be that much $ to offer him.  Was anyone else considering to offer a deal?  I didn't hear anything.

Vikings signed WR Adam Thielen to a three-year, $17 million contract with $11 million guaranteed.  After catching 20 total passes in his first 32 career games, Thielen had a massive 2016 as the No. 2 receiver when he passed Charles Johnson for the job behind Stefon Diggs. Thielen finished the year with 69 catches for 967 yards (14.0 YPR) and five touchdowns. He was scheduled for restricted free agency this year, and the Vikings placed a second-round tender on him last week. Thielen made it known he was looking for a multi-year deal. He should be locked into the No. 2 job, while 2016 first-rounder Laquon Treadwell will compete for snaps in three-wide sets.

---

Well, not a bad (re-)signing, but I didn't think there would be that much $ to offer him.  Was anyone else considering to offer a deal?  I didn't hear anything.
This is a great move by MIN. Do you think this is too expensive? I feel like this is a pretty good deal for MIN. He flourishes in that offense and gelled well with Bradford. Diggs would take a hit here IMO. I really feel like Thielen is the WR to own in that offense. Staggering how much Thielen and Diggs completely swapped target stats following Diggs' injury and even when he was healthy it continued. 

I prefer the possession type WR with the speed guy.  From what I see s far, our top 3 WRs and even Rudolph are all possession type WR's.  We do not have a speed aka take the lid off the D type of WR now.

---

Fan favorite and I think one of Spielmans guys.

He got $17 over 3 years with $11 of that guaranteed. That averages out to close to $6 million per season. They have a budget and a certain amount of money is allocated to each position. After they found out that Patterson would be signing with another team, this freed up money they can use at the WR position, thus the extension.

Jarius Wright signed a 4 year deal for $14.8 million in 2015 which is $3.75 million on average. So Theilen got $2 million more than Wright did two years ago, Wrights contract would likely cost $5 million a year due to the higher cap, so they are paying Thielen slightly more than they gave Wright in 2015 but not that much more. He does have incentives in the contract that can cause his salary to go up to the $9 million per year range though. I am not sure what those incentives are or how realistic it is for him to reach them.

This locks him in as the Vikings WR 2 with Diggs and the way they treated him sends a good message to other players on the team, that if you play well, the team will sign you to a new deal.

I was looking at Adam Thielen's stats and he caught 75% of his 92 targets last season, this is pretty exceptional. However Stefon Diggs also caught 75% of his targets, and Cordarralle Patterson caught 74.3% of his targets last season. However what differentiates the 3 WR is the yards they gained. Theilen had 14 yards per reception on 69 receptions, while Patterson had 8.7 yards per reception, Diggs 10.8

Adam Thielen had 10.1 yards per target which is an exceptional number that measures the players efficiency per opportunity.

I looked at all of the WR from 2014 to 2016 in yards per target over this time frame, only one player had higher yards per target than Adam Thielen, DeSean Jackson.had 11.1 yards per target.

Here is the top 50 WR over the last 3 years in yards per target:

11.1    DeSean Jackson
10.1    Adam Thielen
9.8    Julio Jones*
9.5    Jordy Nelson
9.5    A.J. Green*
9.4    Michael Thomas
9.4    Martavis Bryant
9.3    Terrance Williams
9.3    Tyler Lockett*+
9.3    T.Y. Hilton*
9.3    Doug Baldwin
9.3    Tyrell Williams
9.2    Kenny Stills
9.2    Willie Snead
9.1    Antonio Brown*+
9.1    Rishard Matthews
9.1    Kenny Britt
9.1    Brandin Cooks
9.0    DeVante Parker
9.0    Odell Beckham*
9.0    Eli Rogers
8.9    Cameron Meredith
8.9    Sammy Watkins
8.7    Sammie Coates
8.7    Chris Hogan
8.6    Emmanuel Sanders*
8.6    Marvin Jones
8.6    JJ Nelson
8.6    Jeremy Maclin
8.5    Amari Cooper*
8.5    Taylor Gabriel
8.4    Torrey Smith
8.3    Allen Hurns
8.3    Malcolm Mitchell
8.3    Markus Wheaton
8.3    Alshon Jeffery
8.3    Stefon Diggs
8.3    Dez Bryant*+
8.3    Michael Floyd
8.2    Dontrelle Inman
8.2    Jamison Crowder
8.2    Victor Cruz
8.1    Eric Decker
8.1    Brice Butler
8.1    Mike Evans
8.1    Mohamed Sanu
8.0    John Brown
8.0    Randall Cobb*
8.0    Travis Benjamin
7.9    Demaryius Thomas*

Sorry Donny but we definitely need an upgrade at the RB position....even if we re-sign Asiata.  Totally agree we need more help on O-line but the way I see us going into the draft, we have a few holes to fill in a few spaces.
BS.  The SB champions have been using a cast of RB cast offs for about a decade and haven't missed a beat.   I can't wait to see them win another one with Rex Burkhead toting the rock.  

BS.  The SB champions have been using a cast of RB cast offs for about a decade and haven't missed a beat.   I can't wait to see them win another one with Rex Burkhead toting the rock.  
While I think everyone will agree you don't need a top 5 RB to win a SB, those SB teams you are talking about this last decade have had elite QB to offset a backfield of "cast offs".  

Vikings signed RB Latavius Murray, formerly of the Raiders, to a three-year contract. The deal can be voided after one season. This signals the official end of the Adrian Peterson era in Minnesota. Dubbed by some as a lite version of Peterson, Murray is a big back at 6'3/230 with very little wiggle. He's a straight-line runner who runs somewhat high and takes a lot of hits. Murray improved his pass-catching chops last season and finished fifth in the league with his 12 rushing scores. Unfortunately, he'll be going from running behind one of the best offensive lines to one of the worst. Murray should be given every opportunity to handle as much work as he can, but Jerick McKinnon is still in the picture. Consider Murray a volume-dependent RB2.
---
I'd rather use a 3rd or 4th round pick on one of the RBs then.  I'm not crazy about Murray.  I would think he'll be the 1st down Back, go anywhere from 3 yd gain to -2 yds then McKinnon comes in.

One of the things that rookie RB tend to struggle with is pass protection. So having a veteran such as Murray who did well in that area last season give the Vikings a player they can count on to help protect Sam Bradford until they do feel comfortable with a rookie RB in pass protection.

The deal is structured so the Vikings can move on after this season without being on the hook for much in terms of cap space after this season. So if the Vikings do draft a RB who can beat out Murray and McKinnon, they can just let Murray go or keep him for depth. I see him as a bridge to a new RB to be drafted either in 2017 or 2018.

Murray does have a speed element that could lead to some long runs if they can make some holes for him. He isn't a very elusive player and a bit tall for the position which makes him a bigger target for defenders. He isn't going to create a lot of space for himself on his own. He is a complete RB in the sense that he can be used on all 3 downs. A decent receiveing and blocking option in the passing game, runs well out of the shotgun formation.

After the Vikings signings they have $18 million left in cap space for 2017 according to this. There are some ways to save money, such as restructuring Brian Robisons contract. I think most of that money remaining needs to be reserved for new contracts with Xavier Rhodes and Sam Bradford.

It is possible they sign a linebacker for depth still but none on the free agent market really stand out.

Nick Mangold is available and could provide more veteran depth to the offensive line. Not sure if there is any mutual interest or what kind of money Mangold is looking for though.

One of the things that rookie RB tend to struggle with is pass protection. So having a veteran such as Murray who did well in that area last season give the Vikings a player they can count on to help protect Sam Bradford until they do feel comfortable with a rookie RB in pass protection.

The deal is structured so the Vikings can move on after this season without being on the hook for much in terms of cap space after this season. So if the Vikings do draft a RB who can beat out Murray and McKinnon, they can just let Murray go or keep him for depth. I see him as a bridge to a new RB to be drafted either in 2017 or 2018.

Murray does have a speed element that could lead to some long runs if they can make some holes for him. He isn't a very elusive player and a bit tall for the position which makes him a bigger target for defenders. He isn't going to create a lot of space for himself on his own. He is a complete RB in the sense that he can be used on all 3 downs. A decent receiveing and blocking option in the passing game, runs well out of the shotgun formation.

After the Vikings signings they have $18 million left in cap space for 2017 according to this. There are some ways to save money, such as restructuring Brian Robisons contract. I think most of that money remaining needs to be reserved for new contracts with Xavier Rhodes and Sam Bradford.

It is possible they sign a linebacker for depth still but none on the free agent market really stand out.

Nick Mangold is available and could provide more veteran depth to the offensive line. Not sure if there is any mutual interest or what kind of money Mangold is looking for though.
:goodposting: They can now draft a RB later in the draft knowing they have a capable RB backfield for the 2017 season while they "groom" the rookie.

Vikings’ Mike Zimmer talks about ‘toxic leadership’ tweet, Domata Peko, Joe Mixon

Zimmer said second-year cornerback Mackensie Alexander will get first crack at replacing the departed Captain Munnerlyn at nickelback, and “what he does with it is up to him.” He said that to replace retired outside linebacker Chad Greenway, it’s not out of the question Minnesota could turn to a hybrid linebacker-safety.

Zimmer, who has been hard on injury-prone defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd in the past, said he still has confidence he can be a contributor.

“He’s got this thing in his leg,” Zimmer said. “I don’t know if I should get too specific with it. We’re just waiting for it to get healthy, and if that’s the case I think he can have a good year.”

Zimmer on Teddy, O-Line, Treadwell, Peterson, More

There is a bunch of great stuff here. The interview is an hour long and I haven't finished listening to it all yet. But stuff I have heard so far:

For the offensive line he thinks they have four starters now but that they are not done looking at players who could improve the team there. 

What do you want the teams offensive identity to be?

We have to run the ball. I thought Sam threw the ball great and I am not afraid to go back in the gun, but we have to run the ball better and be more effective in the play action passing game.

He talks about converting on 3rd downs in the red zone and focus on short yardage situations.

On Teddy he does not know. 

How impressive was Sam Bradford last season considering all the offensive line injuries?

Well it was. Even more so when you consider how we couldn't run the ball.

We threw the ball a lot more times than we did the year before and we were sacked about the same number as the year before. We were almost 100% one dimensional. Which made it extra tough for the QB as teams were able to load up on us, rush the QB, play more coverage, and I thought he did great. He hung in there, he got rocked, (shakes head) he showed his toughness. He's an extremely accurate thrower. I think he developed a relationship with our team and in the locker room, even though he only got here 10 days before the season. Learned the system coming in so late. 

When asked about the back up QB position and Taylor Heinicke. Zimmer says I think we are going to get some things done there. He smiles and winks. Another reporter follows up asking if they will sign a free agent? He again glibly says they will get some things done there. Then another joke about being 100% sure on this one (he said he was 65% sure what they were going to do organizationally). 

Other parts of Zimmers interview that I found interesting was that he talked about tackling ability in the NFL.

He just pretty simply says that some players are good tacklers and some are not. It doesn't have anything to do with the CBA because they would not tackle much in practice anyways, as that gets players hurt. He doesn't think the college game is any different than the pro game as far as tackling. Just some players are good tacklers while others are not.

He says that some players are fast to the ball, and although not good tacklers, that prescience still helps another player make a play as the offense has to react to that and perhaps force the ball carrier to make a move or change direction that allows pursuit to get there.

He says that overall he think the Vikings are a good tackling team. The numbers I have seen support that for the most part as well. Anthony Barr may be your example of a player getting to the ball but missing tackles.

Captain Munnerlyn is a pretty good tackler, not as good as Winfield was, but pretty good. So that may be missed.

Really hope Barr picks it up this upcoming year.  He'll be asked to do more and considering how brutal he was last year, I guess he can only get better.

As for Floyd, I really hope some medical people in the Vikings' organization get canned for thinking Floyd was healthy and worthy enough to give him his 5th-yr option.

As for Winfield, pound for pound, he was one of the best open field tackler I've ever seen.  :bow:

Quarterback Salaries are Flattening (Relatively)—Which Might Make Bradwater Tough, but Not Impossible

If I understand this correctly the Vikings would be looking at committing $30-$33 million in cap space for Teddy's 5th year option ($13 Millionish) and an extension for Bradford ($18-$20 millionish) then Keenum costs $2 million this year, but if the Vikings were to keep both QB, they likely would not need a highly paid 3rd QB, and possible they draft a guy this year who would fill that spot on the cheap, as a contingency plan for when/if they trade either Bradford or Teddy (freeing up cap space when they do).

the Vikings currently have the third-most 2018 cap space in the NFL, but also very few players under contract through 2018. 
Possibly a lot of turnover in the roster next season.

Roughly $69 mill if I remember my numbers.  Glad we have about 10-11 months to decide on Teddy and Bradford.  I would think only one is on the roster this time next year, 12 months from now.

I wonder.... because of about $69 mill in cap space for next year, would we be willing to trade a high 1st or 2nd round pick in 2018 to get something earlier in this year's draft.

I think the cap space is likely to be used up somewhat by a new contract for Xavier Rhodes and possibly Anthony Barr. A lot of players on one year deals, which has kind of been Ricks MO for awhile now.

They really need to do well with this draft, they didn't get much help from the draft last year.

Vikings preseason game schedule is out........

Week 1 (Aug. 10-13) at Buffalo Bills  (most likely going to go to that game since my bestie has seasons)

Comment: The Vikings will begin their preseason facing their former coach: Leslie Frazier, who is in his third job since the Vikings fired him at the end of the 2013 season. Frazier, who was the defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay and the defensive backs coach in Baltimore, is beginning his first year as the Bills' defensive coordinator.

Week 2 (Aug. 18-20) at Seattle Seahawks

Comment: The Vikings make their second consecutive trip to the Pacific Northwest for a preseason game; they held Teddy Bridgewater out of last year's game with a sore shoulder, creating intrigue when coach Mike Zimmer declined to reveal the reason why Bridgewater was sitting out. They should also get to see former Vikings kicker Blair Walsh, who was released in November and signed with the Seahawks after the season.

Week 3 (Aug. 27) vs. San Francisco 49ers

Comment: This is traditionally the most important preseason game of the exhibition season, and the Vikings will play it against Kyle Shanahan and the new-look 49ers. In addition to Shanahan and new GM John Lynch, the 49ers will have a new starting quarterback and the second overall pick in the 2017 draft. For the second straight year, the Vikings will play their first home preseason game on a Sunday. This time, they'll play on Sunday night on NBC.

Week 4 (Aug. 31) vs. Miami Dolphins

Comment: The final game of the preseason typically sees the Vikings rest most of their starters, but players battling for a roster spot will get extended playing time in their final chances to make an impression. For the second straight year, the Vikings play their final two preseason games at home. Last year, it was to give them extra time to make sure U.S. Bank Stadium was ready to go. This year, the venue of Super Bowl LII will again get the second half of the preseason slate.

Here's a list of players the Vikings have brought in for a visit............

• Rodney Adams, WR, South Florida (PRI)
  • Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (SR)
  • Dylan Bradley^, DE, Southern Mississippi (PRO, PRI)
  • Chunky Clements, DT/3-4DE, Illinois (EW)
  • Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (WOR)
  • Pat Elfein, G/C, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (SR)
  • Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech (COM)
  • Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (PRI)
  • Davon Godchaux, DT/3-4DE, LSU (WOR)
  • Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (WOR)
  • Worth Gregory, P, East Carolina (PRI)
  • Kareem Hunt^, RB, Toledo (PRI, STM)
  • Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami (SR)
  • Jadar Johnson, S, Clemson (EW)
  • Jaleel Johnson, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (SR)
  • Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (COM)
  • Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
  • Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan (EW)
  • Alvin Kamara^, RB, Tennessee (COM, PRI)
  • Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State (PRI)
  • Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (COM)
  • Carl Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Auburn (COM)
  • Elijah Lee^, OLB/ILB, Kansas State (PRI, WOR)
  • Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (PRI)
  • Damien Mama, G, USC (COM)
  • Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (WOR)
  • Leon McQuay III, S, USC (PRI)
  • Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin (PRI)
  • James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (EW)
  • Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Jonah Pirsig^, OT, Minnesota (PRI, LOC)
  • Duke Riley, OLB/ILB, LSU (COM)
  • Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International (PRI)
  • Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (EW)
  • Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (LOC)
  • Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)
  • Eric Wilson, ILB, Cincinnati (WOR)

So with the draft almost a week away, what's on your wish list?  With 5 picks in the top 129, (2/48 - 3/79 - 3/86 - 4/121 - 4/129)  I'd assume, in no particular order, we go after a DT, OG, WR, LB and RB.  2 or 3 of these guys will probably be key players right away in September so hopefully we'll get a ton more production from this draft class than last year, otherwise we'll be looking in from the outside for the playoffs. If we do trade up, and I hope we don't, I'd rather use up a mid round pick in 2018 than something from this year.

Favorites? For me I have a few favorites, with ILB Jarrad Davis from Florida leading the way but it's sounding more and more that he might go as high as late 1st/early 2nd so he'll be long gone by our first pick at #48.  Other LB'ers I wouldn't mind us going after or considering is Raekwon McMillan from Ohio State or Ohio's Blair Brown, who both could be available in the 3rd round. Both are MLB's so we move Kendricks to the Will.  LSU's Duke Riley who can play Mike or Will I also like for us to consider.  T (or maybe/probably moved to G) Antonio Garcia from Troy is a player we could grab in the 2nd.  He is a very good pass blocker but then there is T/G Dion Dawkins from Temple who is one of the best run blockers. I like the top 2 C/G guys in Ethan Pocic from LSU and Dan Feeney from Indiana.  Feeney is a very good pass blocker.  Also Pat Elflein from Ohio State would be nice.  He's a very good run blocker but not that great as a pass blocker. If we go TE, there are 2 guys I'd love for us to grab, Jake Butt from Michigan or Dan Shaheen from Ashland College.  Butt will probably go before we consider a TE.  Shaheen could be available in the 3rd. I wasn't too concerned with some DT help, even after the Shariff rumors, but now I am, so I'd be okay if we went after Michigan State's Malik McDowell but he'll be gone late 1st most likely.  Caleb Brantley from Florida or Tanzel Smart from Tulane I'd want, and even Treyvon Hester from holy Toledo is someone I'd read some nice things about.  Vikings did watch Hester in his pro day.  At RB, I loved Alvin Kamara, a do it all Back from Tennessee but he's a fumbler, so I'll pass.  Kareem Hunt from Toledo or D'Onta Foreman from Texas or Samaje Perine from Oklahoma are others I'd enjoy seeing in purple. Hunt is a more rounded type of Back while Foreman and Perine and big goal-line/short yardage types that would blend in nicely with McKinnon.  At WR, I'd think we would go for a speed type of returner WR in this class so someone like Dede Westbrook from Oklahoma or Amba Etta-Tawo from Syracuse are two who can stretch the field.  Westbrook most likely will be gone before we are on the clock and even though we need a deep speed threat, I think we have other priorities we'll look at first.

I saw DJ and Bucky Brooks doing a mock for the Vikings picks.  They went O guard in round 2, RB and TE respectively for the 2 picks in third.  

I would rather they addressed almost every other position than RB.  Wouldn't mind if they took a flier on a QB.  Who knows if Bridgewater will play again. I shook my head when Bucky started talking about the Vikings needed a change of pace back to compliment Murray.  No mention of McKinnon whatsoever  -  like he can't fill that role.  I am also betting that list of good day 3 running backs will be long.  There are always a few that shockingly go late ie Lache Seastunk.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this is the Treadwell thread. That DJ was mocking Zay Jones to the Vikings with their 2nd round pick.

Now maybe this is just DJ trying to think outside the box, or maybe he was just pimping Jones that day to no matter who he talked to, but I would like to think that DJ remembers how much he talked up Treadwell last year and that he was drafted by the Vikings.

It does not seem like they pay enough attention to the players the team has, unless DJ thinks Treadwell is a bust already, which he shouldn't based on his pre NFL draft evaluation of him.

Maybe they do not know anything about Adam Thielen either. Maybe there is an unwritten law about mocking the Vikings to use their 1st overall pick on a WR regardless of who the Vikings have.

Listening to DJ talk to Wobby I think I would rather Wobby make the pick for the Vikings than DJ. At least Wobby knows the players on the Vikings roster.

I agree there will be some good RB to be had in later rounds. It would depend on the RB. There could be a starting quality RB available in round 3 still this year.

Who was the RB they had the Vikings selecting? Who was the TE?

The TE might be a greater need depending on David Morgan. They likely have forgotten about Jerrick McKinnon but remember Murray, and so think they want a guy to pair with Murray, when Murray is the guy they wanted to pair with McKinnon.

If they draft a RB round 3 it should be a 3 down RB. I like Perine, Foreman, Hunt and Mack enough to consider in the 3rd round. Foreman is the only one of those they haven't been connected with. Always possible one of these is still available in round four where the Vikings also have two picks.

What DJ and Brooks are trying to do is entertain the listener as well, so talking about a more exciting player, such as a RB helps with that. I think it is hard to get people excited about offensive linemen. Some fans may be concerned about how the team will fare without Peterson, and last season was going back to the 70's since a team was that bad at running the ball, so yeah it should be a focus for upgrade.

As far as picking a QB. I wouldn't be against it should Kizer or Mahomes somehow still be there at pick 48. Seems unlikely, but if so then sure. Or more likely perhaps Kaaya or something round 4 or later.         

Arif Hasan: Seven Round Updated Analytics Mock Draft

Arif has the Vikings selecting Jeremy Mcnichols in round 5.

Round 5, Pick 160: Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State

Jeremy McNichols isn’t a name generating that much hype in this impressive running back class, but he’d earn it in most years. He may seem like an odd choice to complement Jerick McKinnon as he’s not a power back, but pure pluggers can be found in undrafted free agency—McNichols is a three-down back that can immediately challenge for a starting role.

His athleticism is above-average for a running back and his production is astounding, even after accounting for his competition. His yards-after-contact per attempt is better than the averages put together by Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt, D’Onta Foreman and Samaje Perine while his competition-adjusted rushing yardage ranks among the best as well.

23 touchdowns on the ground and another 4 in the air are difficult to ignore—he leads his peers in touchdowns per touch and that may not be an accident.
I have watched McNichols and I do like him. Because he plays for Boise State I could not help but compare him with Jay Ajayi.

I think McNichols is a bit smoother (Ajayi gets out of control sometimes) and perhaps more elusive than Jay Ajayi, but he isn't as powerful. Doesn't have the same burst and just seemed not quite as good as Ajayi although McNichols is a good RB. Reading some comments from fans of the team, that seemed to be their opinion as well.

It maybe isn't a fair comparison though as Ajayi is a pretty good RB. If Arif likes him, I respect Arif's eye for talent. 

Gil Brandt has McNichols as his 143 player on his top 150 list. So it is possible he might be available in the 5th round. He would likely be a good pick in the 4th round as well, there are just some other RB who I like more.

Sorry but NO WAY IN HECK would I want a QB taken with the Vikings 48th pick.  Why?  He'll never play this year and last time I checked they would be too small and light to play Right Guard.  PASS!

I wonder if we do draft D'Onta Foreman, would he wear #44?? :shrug:

Seems we've always had 3 TE's who can play some, some can catch and some can block, so I would expect us to grab a TE with one of our top 5 picks.  I'd think this guy would be more of a blocking TE with some potential as a rounded receiving threat so it might not happen until the 4th or later.

I've always been under the belief that you draft the best player available THAT FILLS A NEED, so I'd expect us to take a BIG first, probably someone who can play Guard, or perhaps some diamond in the rough type of DT.

Sorry but NO WAY IN HECK would I want a QB taken with the Vikings 48th pick.  Why?  He'll never play this year and last time I checked they would be too small and light to play Right Guard.  PASS!

I wonder if we do draft D'Onta Foreman, would he wear #44?? :shrug:

Seems we've always had 3 TE's who can play some, some can catch and some can block, so I would expect us to grab a TE with one of our top 5 picks.  I'd think this guy would be more of a blocking TE with some potential as a rounded receiving threat so it might not happen until the 4th or later.

I've always been under the belief that you draft the best player available THAT FILLS A NEED, so I'd expect us to take a BIG first, probably someone who can play Guard, or perhaps some diamond in the rough type of DT.
I don't think it is likely Kirer or one of the other top 4 QB falls that far in the draft.

I do think Bradford will be signed to an extension, and I know Zimmer and the Vikings love Teddy, but if the opportunity is there to take a good QB I think you should do so. Even with established starters on the roster. NFL teams seem to always be in need of a QB so having another one seems like a good problem to have. A rookie QB would give the Vikings more flexibility in their decisions about Teddy and Bradford.

I understand your position that a rookie QB would not help the Vikings in 2017. I think it is very unlikely a good QB remains at pick 48 because too many teams in the NFL need QBs. 

A later round pick on a QB seems much more likely option for the Vikings. It is entirely possible they really like Heinicke also, and if so then they may not be looking for a developmental QB at all. The signing of Case Keenum suggests that the Vikings might not add a QB in 2017 at all.

I think 44 is a great number for a RB. Chuck Foreman was more of a receiving type RB from my understanding, although he was before my time.

The Vikings released MyCole Pruitt last year due to roster crunch and the Bears picked him up, otherwise he would be in the mix. The Vikings lost Rhett Ellison to the Giants, so another TE in needed to fill out the top 3. Good class to find one.

I totally agree that offensive linemen should be the priority. I see Reif and Remmers as band aid temporary (although necessary) solutions. They need to keep drafting offensive linemen and developing them for the teams future.

The Vikings looking at guys like Chunky Clements reminds me of them drafting Willie Beavers last year. I make jokes about it, but it seems like the Vikings really mailed it in at the draft last year. They traded their 3rd round pick for a 3rd in 2017 and then they draft Beavers, who has a funny name, but cannot play the position he was drafted for well at all. I worry they like Chunky's nick name here and that he also is not a good football player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe McNichols was the same back that DJ and Bucky were projecting to Vikings in the 3rd.  
Yeah I watched it on Vkings.com

They have Jerrick McKinnons name on their board, so they should be aware of him.

McNichols is an interesting RB. I just fear he is decent at everything but not really excellent at anything. He goes down to easily for my taste, but he is a good receiving option (lines up as a WR at times) who has good balance and feel for the game. I just don't see a special trait in McNichols that makes me say he can win that way in the NFL. He has good balance and reads his blocking well, decent athleticism. Willing blocker who does ok in that role for the most part.

Certainly worth a later round pick, I am just not sure you would want him starting. He might be a more natural receiving option than McKinnon who has had to work on that and still hopefully improving.

Who are some of the later RB prospects that you would like to see the Vikings take?

I don't think it is likely Kirer or one of the other top 4 QB falls that far in the draft.

I do think Bradford will be signed to an extension, and I know Zimmer and the Vikings love Teddy, but if the opportunity is there to take a good QB I think you should do so. Even with established starters on the roster. NFL teams seem to always be in need of a QB so having another one seems like a good problem to have. A rookie QB would give the Vikings more flexibility in their decisions about Teddy and Bradford.

I understand your position that a rookie QB would not help the Vikings in 2017. I think it is very unlikely a good QB remains at pick 48 because too many teams in the NFL need QBs. 

A later round pick on a QB seems much more likely option for the Vikings. It is entirely possible they really like Heinicke also, and if so then they may not be looking for a developmental QB at all. The signing of Case Keenum suggests that the Vikings might not add a QB in 2017 at all.

I think 44 is a great number for a RB. Chuck Foreman was more of a receiving type RB from my understanding, although he was before my time.

The Vikings released MyCole Pruitt last year due to roster crunch and the Bears picked him up, otherwise he would be in the mix. The Vikings lost Rhett Ellison to the Giants, so another TE in needed to fill out the top 3. Good class to find one.

I totally agree that offensive linemen should be the priority. I see Reif and Remmers as band aid temporary (although necessary) solutions. They need to keep drafting offensive linemen and developing them for the teams future.

The Vikings looking at guys like Chunky Clements reminds me of them drafting Willie Beavers last year. I make jokes about it, but it seems like the Vikings really mailed it in at the draft last year. They traded their 3rd round pick for a 3rd in 2017 and then they draft Beavers, who has a funny name, but cannot play the position he was drafted for well at all. I worry they like Chunky's nick name here and that he also is not a good football player.
lol My point was it is a great number for a FOREMAN!  Chuck did it all, rushing and receiving.  He was like a Marshall Faulk type.  He tied the NFL record for TDs in a season, in something like 1975.  If I also remember, Chuck finished 2nd to Fran in MVP one year.

Norse Code Podcast Episode 180: Wide(r) Left Draft Preview with Guest Ben Natan

Ben makes some interesting observations about Joe Mixon who does not always see the right hole and who loses yards behind the line of scrimmage at a higher rate than most of the other highly rated RBs of the 2017 draft class. That Mixon has poor footwork at times and is being successful just on pure athletic ability against weak defense. He describes Mixon as a bit raw in his development of RB skills. Compares Mixon to Tevin Coleman in this way.

Some good observations that I have seen examples of as well.

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings will open the season on "Monday Night Football" for the second time in three years. This time, though, they'll be at home, in a matchup that comes with a few subplots (and could eventually add another one).

The Vikings will play host to the New Orleans Saints to open the 2017 season, sources told ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett and me. It is only the second time the Saints have visited the Twin Cities since their infamous victory over the Vikings in the 2010 NFC Championship Game, and it means the Vikings' home opener will be in prime time for the second straight season. Their inaugural game at U.S. Bank Stadium was a Week 2 Sunday night victory over the Green Bay Packers last year.

Users who are viewing this thread