What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (1 Viewer)

He doesn't have the arm to bring a team back from 10+ points.  He's fine if you are in the lead, but that will not always be the case.
Not sticking up for Keenum, but I don't think his arm or his QB play had much to do with not being able to make a come back. Once the Eagles got the lead and they knew it was all pass from Minnesota they just overwhelmed the offense as a whole. Diggs and Thielen were non factors and the McKinnon dumpoffs were a waste of time and effort.
 I think he meant "overall" and not just this game.. :mellow:

He really has never been a "come back" QB.. It is the reason Zimmer said more then once as the season progressed "Bradford has the better arm"..
Zimmer still isn't sold on Case and I think, if he has any say, will have the Vikings move forward with Teddy and possibly Bradford and let Case test the market..

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to Roll with the horse that brought you - but yea, once the Eagles got up, Bradford woulda been the better guy to try and bring you back.  

Watching that game yesterday I don`t think Bradford would have done much better.  Philly rush was intense.  Bridgewater is still unproven and his stats were pedestrian in the year he started so not sure how he would have fared any better than Kennum.

Zimmer still isn't sold on Case and I think, if he has any say, will have the Vikings move forward with Teddy and possibly Bradford and let Case test the market..
I'd be shocked if they signed two of them. They all think they are starters in this league and I cant believe they would sign knowing they were the backup. 

The Eagles had an extra day to prepare because of the schedule in the Divisional round. Couple that with a travel day for the Vikes and the probable lack of sleep the night after the improbable finish against N.O. and there was a recipe for a bit of an emotional and physical let down.

When will we get definitive news on Viking's coaches accepting, or not, other opportunities? 
I dunno. I suppose they begin exit interviews as soon as today. Some movement and news on that coming up soon I suppose.

I know this is a little sour grapes and :tinfoilhat:  but I'm not certain these knees to the back while tackling are unintentional. Same thing happened to Mayfield in their game vs Georgia and it affected that game too.

Watching that game yesterday I don`t think Bradford would have done much better.  Philly rush was intense.  Bridgewater is still unproven and his stats were pedestrian in the year he started so not sure how he would have fared any better than Kennum.
The Eagles are not a defense you want to get behind against. Great defense and too much pass rush if you can't keep them honest by running the ball.

The first drive looked promising, but they couldn't get much going after that. After the interception return for a TD and drive for a TD the Vikings were playing from behind from that point on.

Still might have lost but the Vikings likely could have played a more competitive game if they had been at home. The loss to Carolina was a pretty huge deal as far as that goes.

I know this is a little sour grapes and :tinfoilhat:  but I'm not certain these knees to the back while tackling are unintentional. Same thing happened to Mayfield in their game vs Georgia and it affected that game too.
Maybe. From what I saw didn't look that bad.

Obviously Diggs was hurt, but he still made some plays after that, so I don't think it was that serious. I didn't notice any other instances of knee to the back than this.

I had kind of stopped watching after things went south though. Game was still on and I was listening to it, but not watching too closely and doing other stuff at that point. The whole feeling was that they were going to lose pretty much by the 2nd quarter.

They used up all their luck the week before.

Been dreading the Eagles match up away for over a month already. I wish I would have been wrong and the Vikings and Case Keenum would have played great, but I really wasn't expecting them to win this one.

Still expected them to play better on defense than they did though. So that was disappointing.

On Keenum, I think he was going to be in trouble with the pick 6 throw even without the pressure (looked to be into triple coverage, which could not have been his best option). That said, I'm not going to overreact to his skill after yesterday's game. He's a decent game manager, nothing more nothing less. He'll take chances, which I think any NFL QB must do, and you'd hope that other team strengths can overcome the mistakes that come from it at times. This team could do fine with a QB like him, and generally did in 2017. He's not what I'd personally want as a QB of the future, because he's a game manager and not a difference maker. It would be nice to have a starting QB who has the arm to instill more fear in an opponent.

JMHO, this game was lost in the trenches - both OL protection and DL pass rush futility that opened downfield Philly plays the Vikes were not expecting they'd need to defend. Throw in a handful of critical missed tackles that extended drives (and the deficit). Most QBs are not going to overcome that.

The Eagles are not a defense you want to get behind against. Great defense and too much pass rush if you can't keep them honest by running the ball.

The first drive looked promising, but they couldn't get much going after that. After the interception return for a TD and drive for a TD the Vikings were playing from behind from that point on.

Still might have lost but the Vikings likely could have played a more competitive game if they had been at home. The loss to Carolina was a pretty huge deal as far as that goes.
When my buddy came over, a few minutes late, he asked me what happened on that first series.  I told him the Vikings went through the Eagles defense with the same ease they would have had they been playing Girl Scout Troop 137.  They looked to be totally off to the races.  It was like the Broncos against the Redskins in that 80's era Super Bowl. Then, just like the referenced game, things changed dramatically.  I can't say which was more stunning.

:oldunsure:

2015( 1st year starting, 2nd year in the league)

65% complete;  3,231 yards; 200+ yards per game;  7.2 yards Avg. per attempt.  ;   41 20+ yards ; 6 40+ yards.  Sure his TD's were low 14..

Then again... ADP was the "horse" then with close to 1500 yards and 11 TD's.

These Vikings players are set to become free agents

QB Sam Bradford
QB Case Keenum
QB Teddy Bridgewater
RB Jerick McKinnon
WR Michael Floyd
OL Joe Berger

CB Terence Newman
DT Tom Johnson
DT Shamar Stephen
LB Emmanuel Lamur
CB Marcus Sherels
CB Tramaine Brock

K Kai Forbath

Restricted free agents:

RB Bishop Sankey
OL Nick Easton
OL Jeremiah Sirles

Exclusive rights free agents:

RB Mack Brown

S Anthony Harris

LS Jeff Overbaugh

Joe Berger runored to retire so a replacement at guard is pretty high priority.

Two defensive tackles, so some decisions to be made there.

It would be great to re-sign McKinnon but not sure what the market will be like for him.

I would assume Marcus Sherels will make he team next season.

Herb said:
Well, that was a great season with a ####### super sucky ending.  I'm glad it happened that way though.  Still better to get your ### handed to you than give away a close game ala 2009 or 1998.

Being a Viking fan is a really rough way to spend one's time.  When will it be our turn?
It is better to get beat that way.  I'm a Packer fan and when they lost in OT in Seattle it knocked the wind out of me.  Just a real gut punch.

Believe it or not I was rooting for the Vikings yesterday.  In fact, I wanted them to win the whole thing.  Doubt you will find many Packer fans saying that.

I just thought it would be cool for them to win it on their home field.  I also thought they were the best team in the league this year.  I dont know what happened to them yesterday but that was not the same team I have watched all year. 

I thought the Vikings had one of the best defenses I have seen in pro football.  Maybe not 85 Bears dominant, but they were pretty damn tough.  Yesterday the ball just didnt bounce their way.

Anyway, I thought a Vikings-Pats SB in Minneapolis would have been pretty cool.

Cook is going to make a huge difference to your offense next season. If you guys get a good QB (no disrespect to Keenum), you’re the clear favorites in the NFC, IMO. 

I think the Rams will be right on your heels. Several other teams are in the next tier. I’m hoping my Cowboys are in that group. We’ve got a lot of potential so we’ll see.

Am I reading this site right that Barr's 2018 salary jumps from $2.1 mil to $12.3 mil? Is that salary guaranteed? Is it blasphemy to say we need to move on from Barr? JMHO, makes some impact plays at times, but not a reliable/consistent defender and the one Pro Bowl selection that made me scratch my head. 

Definitely a bright future for you guys. Not sure how your QB situation is going to play out, but I don't see a big difference in any of them. All quality NFL starters. You guys will remain great on defense and get Cook back.  Going to be fun watching the Vikes, Rams, and Eagles battle it out these next few years.   :thumbup:

Definitely a bright future for you guys. Not sure how your QB situation is going to play out, but I don't see a big difference in any of them. All quality NFL starters. You guys will remain great on defense and get Cook back.  Going to be fun watching the Vikes, Rams, and Eagles battle it out these next few years.   :thumbup:
I guess the Falcons, Seahawks, Cowboys, Panthers and Packers should just give up the sport and start a ballroom dancing league. 

I guess the Falcons, Seahawks, Cowboys, Panthers and Packers should just give up the sport and start a ballroom dancing league. 
I simply grouped the three best young teams this year. Green Bay will always have a shot as long as Rodgers is playing. I think the Seahawks are on the downslope now. Defense is getting old and injury prone and they have no line. Not worried about them. Cowboys won't win with Garrett as coach and Prescott looked very average this year. And average may be giving him too much credit. Panthers (as well as Atlanta) could also challenge. NFC looks strong right now, but the three I listed are most likely to still look strong in 3-5 years. 

Yeah, I'm not seeing it with the Seahawks, Cowboys, and Packers. Major holes on those rosters.
The Packers would have major holes in a ballroom dancing league as well.   With no Cheerleaders or dance squad they would be starting out well behind the Cowboys, Seahawks, Falcons, and Panthers who all at least have some females in their employ. (I don't include the girls in the Deep Fried Cheese Curds stands) 

Am I reading this site right that Barr's 2018 salary jumps from $2.1 mil to $12.3 mil? Is that salary guaranteed? Is it blasphemy to say we need to move on from Barr? JMHO, makes some impact plays at times, but not a reliable/consistent defender and the one Pro Bowl selection that made me scratch my head. 
Yeah your reading that right.

As the Vikings picked up the 5th year option on Barr they have to pay him the average of the top 10 players at his position. Von Miller makes QB like money, so yeah thats how it works out for Barr I guess.

Barr played better this year and I think he is worth keeping as a starter, but I tend to agree with you that he likely isn't worth that much money. 

I read the other day that the Salary cap is projected to go up by another 12 or more million, so that basically takes care of Barr's raise.

I agree Barr needs to make more plays than he does. He gets blocked too much in my opinion and just disappears for large chunks of the game at times. He had a few really good games this year and the other games just basically average. 

It could be a lot worse. Just have to keep in mind that the cap keeps going up every year in regards to these contracts.

he was a very good OC for the Giants.  I wouldn't let being bad at being a HC detract from that.  Lots of good coordinators sucked at the next level.
The Vikings have been collecting a bunch of those since Zimmer became the head coach.

Norv, Shurmur, Sparano all former head coaches who failed.

I am somewhat indifferent as far as McAdoo. He has been the OC of some very good offenses. Not sure how he would click personally with Zimmer.

Bevel is known to the Vikings and some of his schemes I think fit well with a run first type of mentality that I think Zimmer wants to be a staple of the offense.

At least both are west coast guys. I think I mentioned before that I would prefer the Vikings remain a WCO so they do not have to rewire everything because of the different language and concepts associated with that language. I think the WCO fits the Vikings personnel better than a Coryell offense does. So all of the above preferable to Todd Haley for example in my opinion.

Yeah your reading that right.

As the Vikings picked up the 5th year option on Barr they have to pay him the average of the top 10 players at his position. Von Miller makes QB like money, so yeah thats how it works out for Barr I guess.

Barr played better this year and I think he is worth keeping as a starter, but I tend to agree with you that he likely isn't worth that much money. 

I read the other day that the Salary cap is projected to go up by another 12 or more million, so that basically takes care of Barr's raise.
Interesting. Looking at our needs at OL, and maybe the $5-$10 mil difference between Keenum/Cousins... I struggle thinking in terms of Barr's raise being absorbed by Cap increases. That is money that could go elsewhere with better return. I'm no LB expert by a longshot, but I don't see pro-bowler, and definitely don't see $12.5 mil value.  

Interesting. Looking at our needs at OL, and maybe the $5-$10 mil difference between Keenum/Cousins... I struggle thinking in terms of Barr's raise being absorbed by Cap increases. That is money that could go elsewhere with better return. I'm no LB expert by a longshot, but I don't see pro-bowler, and definitely don't see $12.5 mil value.  
I think I get where you are coming from and I agree with you in a way.

I am not sure what free agent LB are available or offensive linemen for this year. Expecting Berger to retire. Berger played the most snaps on offense in 2017.

Adding another veteran offensive lineman seems like a very good idea.

When Barr disappears it is mostly because he is on a coverage assignment. I think he does a pretty good job covering TE and RB. If we didn't have Barr I think we might start noticing some plays that haven't been happening often recently because Barr is there.

At the same time Barr gets blocked too often, and he really struggles to get off of blocks too. I forget who it was now, but I remember he blitzed up the middle, timed it well and everything, but the RB picked him up, turned him sideways and then took Barr to the ground. The QB was able to step up in the pocket and around Barr being planted and make a play, or get rid of the ball, I forget which now.

Point being that a RB should not be able to block a good pass rushing linebacker so easily. Barr plays a bit soft and he isn't that much of a pass rush threat  Something the Vikings could use.

Funny story - I went to a Bears Vikings game (metrodome) back when AP was in his prime. I’m thinking maybe 2012. All I remember is a massive snow storm started before kickoff and it took us 10 hours to drive back to Illinois that night. 

Anyway - we were walking from North Central college where we parked to the dome. My buddies were decked out in their bears gear. Some guy leans out of a 3rd story apartment window and yells #### the Bears!!!  We all laugh he ducks back inside the window. 

5 seconds later he comes back out and says ‘You know I really like your defense and you’ve got some good players and I really hope you didn’t take it personally’. Most Minnesotan thing ever. 

Funny story - I went to a Bears Vikings game (metrodome) back when AP was in his prime. I’m thinking maybe 2012. All I remember is a massive snow storm started before kickoff and it took us 10 hours to drive back to Illinois that night. 

Anyway - we were walking from North Central college where we parked to the dome. My buddies were decked out in their bears gear. Some guy leans out of a 3rd story apartment window and yells #### the Bears!!!  We all laugh he ducks back inside the window. 

5 seconds later he comes back out and says ‘You know I really like your defense and you’ve got some good players and I really hope you didn’t take it personally’. Most Minnesotan thing ever. 
:lmao:

Like was said in Fargo Season 2...politely unfriendly.

Zimmer on Offensive Coordinator, QB Positions; Offseason Plans

He talks a lot about self scouting and looking for ways to get better.

Hw dances around the QB questions. Seems like he is leaving the door open to all 3 QBs.

He says that Pat Shurmurs success reflects well on what the Vikings have been doing. He says when your successful people want your coaches and it means your doing something right. He hopes he has a coaching tree 200 coaches long when its all said and done.

He says Sparano did a great job getting the offensive linemen ready to play and that the offensive linemen liked what they were doing. He thinks they had better players and the improvement in the offensive line play was as simple as that.

He says the players are really happy with the strength and conditioning coach.

Dalvin Cook is doing great. Zimmer thinks Cook is an unbelievable player, he doesn't want to take anything away from Murray and McKinnon but Cook could have made a difference yes.

He says the Vikings fans were great all year. 

He doesn't want to put a square peg in a round hole and he is always looking for ways to put the players in a better position to be successful.

i am trying to figure out, as an Eagles game, why this is getting so much media attention. I think because sports news is very void right now, so sports media is grabbing whatever they can, but there wasn't a peep after the Falcons game. For the life of me, i don't understand the people that are upset because some dweeb 18 year old kid says "booo" to them, but maybe that is just me. You walk past the idiot and there are 20k people in that stadium that if you are an intelligent and not d-bag fan, will be perfectly fine. I have been going to Eagles games for 25+ years off and on, and from plenty of people i know who went to the game on Sunday, it was just average fan behavior. there was a feeling that the vile fans were a little more fired up because the Vikings fans felt the need to "take over the city" and parade on the Arts Museum and dress up Rocky in purple. So maybe some of the reaction is based on poking the bear, when it is known that Eagles fans are passionate and not shy to share their thoughts. 

my guess if the grand-standing doesn't occur by the 75 Vikings fans, the rest of the Vikings fans would still receive some negative attention, but it likely wouldn;t have been as prevalent. 

if we are talking Dallas fans, that is a whole other conversation, but from all i have heard from actual people there it was a normal game where i had buddies tailgate with Vikings fans and they also booed some at various times who were celebrating or engaging the crowds. Honestly, it is a shame it is getting so much attention, but i think it is being blown out of proportion.

I did also hear a theory that this is simply mid-west culture meeting Northeast culture, and would be the same culture shock if it was another midwest team taking on Giants or Jets.

ETA: i stopped being lazy and read the opinion of this attorney in Kentucky. To be honest, feels little more like a salesman. Nowhere describes what is thrown at him (believe me, if something is thrown at you like a full can of beer, you will say that was thrown), says he can't print the things said to him like we are 5 year-olds, and basically makes it a fluff piece for how much better southern hospitality and culture is. 

I have been south of the Mason Dixon line twice. Honestly have not felt so glad to be white ever. got a flat tire and had to pull over and house on the side of the road had a confederate flag painted on the entire side of the house. Went to a gas station closer to Virginia to use the bathroom i get out and dude behind the counter puts his hand back down from the counter and tells me " i almost shot you" because i came into use the bathroom.

I didn't write an op-ed about it, but if i did i could be ignorant and suggest everybody down south is similar to this limited experience i had. 

ETA2: and much apologies for coming in the Vikings thread with my experience or thoughts, off the soap box. You guys did have a great season considering the adversity you had to deal with at the QB position and losing Cook, so you guys are more on the upswing then downswing. 

Users who are viewing this thread