What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (4 Viewers)

27 million a season and a good chance will end up on IR because the protection is still not very good. 
The protection last year was good enough - especially with a QB that isn't a statue in the pocket (like Bradford).  Cousins is mobile enough that he will be fine behind that line if they play like they did last year. 

Donnybrook always the ray of sunshine.  :)

From your perspective I am not sure why they even try or why you bother to follow the team with such stark pessimism. 
The truth is I was not the best fan last year.  I didn't spring for Sunday ticket because I didn't believe I needed to.  I admit that Reiff was player that lived up to the hype.  Remmers not so much.  Pat Elfein was by far their best draft pick last year. 

I sound like a broken record but I don't think the Vikings are doing enough to improve the line.  One key injury and they can go from super bowl contender to 6-10.  There is such parity in the league.  They should spend multiple picks on lineman this draft and build some depth but they just seem content to be patching holes.

I will support the team if they sign Cousins - at least it is just salary cap and not draft picks on the line unlike the Bradford deal.  I don't dislike Cousins as a QB but his contract demands are not on pare with his value to the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
The protection last year was good enough - especially with a QB that isn't a statue in the pocket (like Bradford).  Cousins is mobile enough that he will be fine behind that line if they play like they did last year. 
Is good enough the goal.  They weren't good enough versus Philly.   I don't put that lose on Case Keenam.   We lost that game for the most part because we could not protect him. 

On the other side of the ball, the statue that is Nick Foles had enough time to go deep on the Vikings D. 

I agree with you Donny that the Vikings turn around at the offensive line was actually better than I was expecting. The rebuilding process there is not over. They took some steps forward though and while Reiff isn't perfect, he played better than any tackle the Vikings have had since Bryant McKinney who wasn't perfect either, but at least he pass blocked pretty well. Reiff did a good job last year.

I thought Elflien played well also but perhaps not as good as we might think as according to PFF he made mistakes. He played well though and should improve.

I don't think any of us really thought Remmers was going to be great. He just was better than what the Vikings had in 2016. He could be a cut or maybe they use him at guard. Seems clear they preferred Hill at tackle over Remmers in the playoffs. Hill is okay but it would be nice to upgrade from him I think.

Joe Berger is saying he wants to play another year. He has been the Vikings best lineman for a few years now and played well last season also. He still needs to be replaced because retirement a very real option, but I think it would be good if the Vikings can re-sign Berger for continuity and depth.

This is supposedly a good draft for guards, not so good for tackles. I think the Vikings can help themselves there although I still think under tackle is a bigger priority than offensive line right now. Both lines need to be upgraded.

If the Vikings do sign Cousins for $27 million then this leaves about $20 milion that the Vikings can use for other free agents, including their own. I am guessing most of that money will be set aside for Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter, maybe Waynes. However the Vikings could still sign one more big money free agent, perhaps an offensive lineman? The Cousins deal still won't prevent them from signing another free agent if they want to.

Yes, there are definitely improvements that should be made at OL. In prior years I've bemoaned the drafting of offensive prospects (Bridgewater, Treadwell, Cook) while tolerating futility at OL. You definitely need to have something at OL for those guys to be worth their cost, and to foster their development. With the add of Reiff/Elflein, I think the Vikes have put themselves in better position where OL is arguably no longer the biggest need (although it should still be improved), and solving long term QB is possible. I think we get more bang for our buck solving QB than using that money to create the best possible OL and crossing our collective fingers going with Bridgewater/Bradford. 

Is good enough the goal.  They weren't good enough versus Philly.   I don't put that lose on Case Keenam.   We lost that game for the most part because we could not protect him. 

On the other side of the ball, the statue that is Nick Foles had enough time to go deep on the Vikings D. 
Good enough is not the goal but it doesn't put the QB on IR either as you alluded to in a previous post.  The loss to the Eagles was on the defense.  Not the OL or Keenum.  When you cannot stop the other team at all you won't win. 

Yes, the Vikes need continuous improvement on the OL.  The game is generally won in the trenches but the current offensive line shouldn't preclude the Vikes from going after Cousins.

According to Ian Rapaport, the Vikings are making a pitch to Drew Brees. That's super interesting, and a ton better than Cousins. I doubt Brees leaves New Orleans, but I would have never guessed he wouldn't have already signed by now. 

According to Ian Rapaport, the Vikings are making a pitch to Drew Brees. That's super interesting, and a ton better than Cousins. I doubt Brees leaves New Orleans, but I would have never guessed he wouldn't have already signed by now. 
That would be amazing after the events of last year and Bountygate. 

Yeah, I actually prefer Cousins to Brees, because Brees is at that age where it's simply not sustainable. Sort of like Brady. I get that this may all be part of the negotiating dance with Cousins, which is unfortunate if that is actually needed because it would mean we're not as aligned with Cousins as reports had indicated. I don't really have the stomach for it. 99% chance Brees is never leaving the Saints and is only trying to get a get leverage in that regard. At the same time, we're potentially sending Cousins a "you actually are not Plan A" signal, which also could backfire. 

Yep, came to post the same.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920705/article/vikings-call-drew-brees-to-inquire-about-interest

Brees would be an all in for 18, maybe 19, move. Would give Brees possibly his best receiving crew of his career.

Yeah, I actually prefer Cousins to Brees, because Brees is at that age where it's simply not sustainable. Sort of like Brady. I get that this may all be part of the negotiating dance with Cousins, which is unfortunate if that is actually needed because it would mean we're not as aligned with Cousins as reports had indicated. I don't really have the stomach for it. 99% chance Brees is never leaving the Saints and is only trying to get a get leverage in that regard. At the same time, we're potentially sending Cousins a "you actually are not Plan A" signal, which also could backfire. 
I take it as more just looking. Like going to the bar the night before you propose to your girlfriend or get married. You may not be really seriously looking.

I take it as more just looking. Like going to the bar the night before you propose to your girlfriend or get married. You may not be really seriously looking.
Well, lets just say I would not be shocked if it is Denver, Arizona or the Jets leaking that info. Brees' agent could not give a rip - all he cares is someone with deep pockets is on the line. 

Playing out your analogy - it is more like doing what you describe and then posting it on your Facebook page for your gal to see, before popping the question.

Vikings place second-round tender on Nick Easton, long-term deal is possible

Personally I thought Easton was the weakest link of the offensive line last season but maybe he was better than Remmers or Hill? That I am not sure about.

It isn't likely any other team matches this offer though and Easton should be a Viking in 2018. I am not sure if he will be a starter or not.

They clearly like him after trading Hodges to the 49ers for him and they preferred keeping him over Alex Boone last year. He has the versatility to play center where he started one game with Elflien out and they kept Berger at right guard. I do not think Easton had a good game when he did start at center against the Panthers though.

BigJim® said:
Playing out your analogy - it is more like doing what you describe and then posting it on your Facebook page for your gal to see, before popping the question.
If the Vikings leaked the story, yes. 

I guess I assumed they didn't but that was probably a bad assumption.

If the Vikings leaked the story, yes. 

I guess I assumed they didn't but that was probably a bad assumption.
Well, maybe my point was "at you're gal's work party, where everyone was posting about it to their facebook page"... just pointing out you are doing something in an area where it's not going to be a secret, and frankly you should know it is not going to be secret (which the Vikes should, since as mentioned there is a 99% chance it's all leverage for Brees gauging his worth for a Saints deal)).

Well, maybe my point was "at you're gal's work party, where everyone was posting about it to their facebook page"... just pointing out you are doing something in an area where it's not going to be a secret, and frankly you should know it is not going to be secret (which the Vikes should, since as mentioned there is a 99% chance it's all leverage for Brees gauging his worth for a Saints deal)).
Fair enough. 

Although I must admit, the prospect of Brees in Minnesota is enticing...

Fair enough. 

Although I must admit, the prospect of Brees in Minnesota is enticing...
It's not a worse case scenario. However, I really don't want to be talking QB heading into 2019, or 2020, or talking about cutting a hall of famer who has clearly passed his prime. It's like buying your dream car with 300,000 miles on it. Basically, the Favre signing, which served a valid purpose for one season, was underwhelming season 2, and left a void at the most important position that still needed to be solved.

It's not a worse case scenario. However, I really don't want to be talking QB heading into 2019, or 2020, or talking about cutting a hall of famer who has clearly passed his prime. It's like buying your dream car with 300,000 miles on it. Basically, the Favre signing, which served a valid purpose for one season, was underwhelming season 2, and left a void at the most important position that still needed to be solved.
Yeah although Brees is a better QB right now in my opinion, the long term stability at the position would be sketchy in a way that I don't think it will be for Cousins. So for that reason I would prefer Cousins over Brees.

I don't think Brees is signing with anyone but the Saints, so I just see that possibility as a side show.

It could be great though if Brees did want to play for the Vikings. Just wouldn't expect it to last as long. Of course Cousins isn't as good as Brees though, if we are just talking about the 2018 season.

I get that.  Assuming it's even possible, as an outsider looking in I'd take 2 seasons of Brees and then a dart throw over cousins. 

If it is the same amount per year involved, I would rather have Brees for 1 or 2 years rather than Cousins for 3 or 4.  This team's window to win is right now, and as we have seen with other great defenses (Seattle, Denver) the window can close pretty quick.  I think Brees gives the team a much better chance of winning in the playoffs and I would push my chips all in, possibly even paying more per year than Cousins.

I am sure it is all hypothetical because Brees will more than likely stay in NO, but it would be a wild ride, probably ranking right up there with Favre in 09.

Report: Vikings to Ask RB Latavius Murray to Take Pay Cut, McKinnon Learns Value

Murray’s average salary per season ($5 million) is currently the eighth-most in the NFL among running backs. 

Zobel reported earlier that running back Jerick McKinnon has been fielding offers in the $6-7 million range already in free agency. The Vikings, who could have made a run at McKinnon with the money they would save by cutting Murray, will likely be out of the running for ‘Jet’ at that high of price.
More money for a QB and other players.

Seems implausible that Jet is fielding offers in the $6MM-$7MM range. What would that make him, top 5? Will believe it when I see it.
Maybe he meant for the whole contract?

That is what the Vikings paid Murray last season and why they are talking about him taking a pay cut now with Dalvin Cook coming back.

I guess the average salary for a RB in 2018 is $1.5 million or so.

Maybe he meant for the whole contract?

That is what the Vikings paid Murray last season and why they are talking about him taking a pay cut now with Dalvin Cook coming back.

I guess the average salary for a RB in 2018 is $1.5 million or so.
That would make more sense... only insanely unspecific reporting could make $6-$7 mil logical.

Yesterday Kirk sends out a message about "new start" and tags Jets and Vikings. Today reports are Denver is signing Case..

So either Kirk wants to play for a team who is ready to compete today for a Championship, or the almighty :moneybag: means more to him.

Yesterday Kirk sends out a message about "new start" and tags Jets and Vikings. Today reports are Denver is signing Case..

So either Kirk wants to play for a team who is ready to compete today for a Championship, or the almighty :moneybag: means more to him.
Or he :heart: NY.  :football:

'today' for a championship, sure.  Long term?  If the Jets make the right moves, assuming the Pats window has only 1-2 years left, they could be set up for sustained success.  The Vikings are well positioned as well, but that division is going to be a dogfight.  Division championships won't come easy for quite some time...

Of course, the almighty $$ has a lot more attractiveness in NY, too.  The side deals/endorsements/appearances have to bump up the expected earnings for a star QB.

'today' for a championship, sure.  Long term?  If the Jets make the right moves, assuming the Pats window has only 1-2 years left, they could be set up for sustained success.  The Vikings are well positioned as well, but that division is going to be a dogfight.  Division championships won't come easy for quite some time...

Of course, the almighty $$ has a lot more attractiveness in NY, too.  The side deals/endorsements/appearances have to bump up the expected earnings for a star QB.
If "if's" and "but's" were candies and nuts... every day would be Christmas. 

Because whatever they sign him for won't be more than enough to live on for his entire life, right?

So we are back to my "the Sky falls" post a few weeks ago..

If Cousin's goes to the Jets,  Case goes to Denver, Bradford is rumored to be talking to another team, and Bridgewater has been rumored to be targeted by Arizona..

Where does that leave the Vikings?? :oldunsure:

Right, there's no guarantee he's sniffing a championship with the Vikings, either.   Even with Cousin's they've only got the 3rd best QB in the division.  Everything's an 'if'.
So you didn't mean it when you said "'today' for a championship, sure"?

While Cousins wouldn't be the best QB in the division on the Vikings, he'd be the best player on the roster with the Jets. And that's really rolling the dice in terms of chasing championships.

There's really no way to spin the Jets being a desirable location to win big. None.

travdogg said:
Your doubt was correct -- Brees was never in play for other teams, though.

And Condon never, ever signs early. He advises clients to wait until the last minute even for tiny extra concessions. There was never a real money negotiation between the Saints and Brees ... just details.

If Cousin's goes to the Jets,  Case goes to Denver, Bradford is rumored to be talking to another team, and Bridgewater has been rumored to be targeted by Arizona..

A 1st and a 4th for Nick Foles?  :D

JMHO, the Brees mirage was a fairly obvious 'trap' the Vikes should not have stepped into. Tactically, I'm not sure what it could possibly have gained them being the only team in the Cousins sweepstakes who is kicking the tires on another option... one that was 99% to disappear before 5:00 Wednesday. If Keenum was a back-up plan, there would be no reason for him to stand by if he reads reports of some other QB in addition to Cousins who is getting inquiries from the Vikes. I don't know, hope it works out in the end but maybe they are too confident, and too cute.

JMHO, the Brees mirage was a fairly obvious 'trap' the Vikes should not have stepped into. Tactically, I'm not sure what it could possibly have gained them being the only team in the Cousins sweepstakes who is kicking the tires on another option... one that was 99% to disappear before 5:00 Wednesday. If Keenum was a back-up plan, there would be no reason for him to stand by if he reads reports of some other QB in addition to Cousins who is getting inquiries from the Vikes. I don't know, hope it works out in the end but maybe they are too confident, and too cute.
I think you're overanalyzing. Really don't see a downside in tossing out an inquiry.

A 1st and a 4th for Nick Foles?  :D
They tried it with Bradford as a "Desperate" move.. :mellow:

Not sure if this would be the case again, but certainly could be based on this article.

According to Rapaport its almost fully guaranteed. In no way is it a steal. they are paying full price and then some, this is a huge risk.

ETA: QB is set though. But man, that is the exact contract I was afraid of.

According to Rapaport its almost fully guaranteed. In no way is it a steal. they are paying full price and then some, this is a huge risk. 

Did they really have a choice?  That is the going rate for a "franchise" QB.  Not too often one of those in on the free agent market.  Considering what the Jets would/will offer it is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread