What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (3 Viewers)

Well, I've been fairly quiet this past year, but reading most of these posts.  Zimmer and Spielman have a lot to do in the off-season.  I can see Rhodes and Reiff and Joseph gone.  Griffin wants to return but at a home town discount?  I don't know.  They have some promising prospects behind Hunter and Griffin but can you ever have enough pass rushers?  Griffin will draw a big contract if cut so I don't see him returning.

Rhodes got fat.  He looks too big for me.  I'm sure after Vikings let him go he'll drop some weight, get a huge contract and be good again, maybe even great but we have to move on from him. Waynes never made me happy so what they'll do with him and McKenzie who knows.

Joseph seems injured and or lost his quickness and wasn't as effective as he was a few years ago.

O-line, Reiff and Elfein are brutal.  If we can't run/get the lead and offense has to play catch up, Vikings are screwed.  I hope we can get a LT type with first pick.

I'm glad we are making some coaching changes.  I assume Kubiak will take over the offense and Zimmer's son the D, with help from dad.

Wish the Vikings were coaching one of the college All-Star games.  I always felt that those teams' coaches get a huge advantage which help the draft for the following year.

Reiff, Rhodes, and Joseph are all likely gone IMO.  I think they'll try to restructure Griffen too or he might be gone(Weatherly and Odenigbo have been good enough this year to not justify Griffen's current salary IMO).

That would leave us $30M under the likely cap, which is more than enough to lock up Cook and resign Harris AND improve the o line.  Offensive line is the biggest area of need and nothing else should take precedent over that this offseason IMO.  We've had a terrible line for 4-5 years now and it absolutely has to get handled this year or Spielman needs to answer for it.

The thing that sucks the most IMO is that we're not sure about Cousins after 2 years.  If we thought he'd be the future of our franchise we'd be resigning him to a long term contract this spring and bringing that $31M cap number WAY down this year.  We could've made a lot more moves if that were the case, but alas....

Reiff, Rhodes, and Joseph are all likely gone IMO.  I think they'll try to restructure Griffen too or he might be gone(Weatherly and Odenigbo have been good enough this year to not justify Griffen's current salary IMO).

That would leave us $30M under the likely cap, which is more than enough to lock up Cook and resign Harris AND improve the o line.  Offensive line is the biggest area of need and nothing else should take precedent over that this offseason IMO.  We've had a terrible line for 4-5 years now and it absolutely has to get handled this year or Spielman needs to answer for it.

The thing that sucks the most IMO is that we're not sure about Cousins after 2 years.  If we thought he'd be the future of our franchise we'd be resigning him to a long term contract this spring and bringing that $31M cap number WAY down this year.  We could've made a lot more moves if that were the case, but alas....
Well I was a supporter of Cousins and when he went on that run of putting up big numbers after week 4-5?, I thought THERE, that's the QB we paid for, but all he is, is an average QB.  I don't want an average QB.  I expect a QB to be drafted in one of the first three rounds this Spring.  Burrow, Herbert and Tua will be out of reach for Vikings.  Fromm I do not like, doesn't have an NFL arm, so after them it's a crap shoot.  I do like a bit Eason from Washington but I'm not a scout :)

O-line, Reiff and Elfein are brutal.  If we can't run/get the lead and offense has to play catch up, Vikings are screwed.  I hope we can get a LT type with first pick.

I'm glad we are making some coaching changes.  I assume Kubiak will take over the offense and Zimmer's son the D, with help from dad.
I'm torn on Reiff. It's not uncommon for speed rush to the outside being a difficult assignment for LT. It may not be a problem if there is a pocket for the QB to step up into to avoid that rush. It's been terrible for the Vikes, as they obviously also give up push into the pocket. That said, he also doesn't seem strong with run blocking, whether it's all him or being next to a flimsy LG, who knows. I do wonder though if there are better LT in the open market, or on the current team, than what they could get from Reiff. 

I'm glad to see churn on defensive coaching, and in particular DB coaching. Whatever scheme was put into place last season was 3 steps backwards.

Zimmer on Replacing Stefanski and Edwards, His Contract Status Moving Forward, Keeping Continuity on Offense, Cousins' Season + Future, More

In regards to the offense ZImmer says he wants to have continuity on offense but that they are missing a couple pieces.

While he may not mean to be that specific what two pieces do you think he is referring to?

He isn't making changes at this time not looking for replacement coaches yet and they won't be making those decisions right away. He is concerned about making decisions right now might be biased in some way or based on emotion. He is asked if this is usual for a team to wait on these decisions, and he says it isn't but that is what they are doing (or not doing) right now.

When asked about Mike Hughes he says he should be fine for next season. He says he doesn't think any of their players will need surgery this offseason that he knows of. 

Report: Vikings’ defensive coordinator isn’t expected to return next season

Speculation that George Edwards will join Stefanski in Cleveland.

I am not concerned about losing Edwards at all. Most coach speakingest coach who ever smurfed some coach speak. I could get more information listening to the wind as you can get listening to him. 

I am more curious about Jerry Grays status with the team given how the defensive backs played this season. Some are speculating that Andre Patterson might take over as the DC.

Zimmer on Replacing Stefanski and Edwards, His Contract Status Moving Forward, Keeping Continuity on Offense, Cousins' Season + Future, More

In regards to the offense ZImmer says he wants to have continuity on offense but that they are missing a couple pieces.

While he may not mean to be that specific what two pieces do you think he is referring to?

He isn't making changes at this time not looking for replacement coaches yet and they won't be making those decisions right away. He is concerned about making decisions right now might be biased in some way or based on emotion. He is asked if this is usual for a team to wait on these decisions, and he says it isn't but that is what they are doing (or not doing) right now.

When asked about Mike Hughes he says he should be fine for next season. He says he doesn't think any of their players will need surgery this offseason that he knows of. 
I think he has to mean O-Line. It's almost half of the starting positions on offense, and the other half seems mostly set. Unless he's talking about improving receiver depth and/or finding a different fullback. But there aren't a lot of FBs in the league anymore so it's hard to be choosy there. Seems like every draft is full of young talented wideouts so I don't see an issue finding help at that position. O-line is the one that is a challenge.

I agree with much of what you say here, with maybe the exception being locking up Cook. I think he's awesome, but from a team building perspective I think it's important to prioritize positions that are difficult to find replacements. Call me old school but I prefer paying guys in the trenches first, with QB also being a no-brainer. Then I move on to positions like WR/TE, MLB, CB/S (for our 4-3 scheme anyway, in a 3-4 OLBs would naturally have much greater importance). I look at the NFL and college football and feel like I see more talented backs than there are jobs. As much as I like Cook, I can't fathom locking up a RB long term unless it's a very team friendly deal. Vikings paid a fortune to ADP over his career and there's not much to show for it aside from warm fuzzy memories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has any recent Super Bowl winner paid its starting RB like a franchise back?

But I think you're right about Reiff, Rhodes, Joseph, and Griffin. Something will have to be done about their contracts, one way or another.

I think he has to mean O-Line. It's almost half of the starting positions on offense, and the other half seems mostly set. Unless he's talking about improving receiver depth and/or finding a different fullback. But there aren't a lot of FBs in the league anymore so it's hard to be choosy there. Seems like every draft is full of young talented wideouts so I don't see an issue finding help at that position. O-line is the one that is a challenge.
Yeah we may be reading too much into it (likely) but what he said there stood out to me and I do think he is talking about the offensive line as well.

I am not concerned about losing Edwards at all. Most coach speakingest coach who ever smurfed some coach speak. I could get more information listening to the wind as you can get listening to him. 
Am I right understanding that Edwards was not a play-caller except in preseason? If so, it says something about how he was viewed as a DC. I realize Zimmer is always going to want his fingerprints on the defense, but personally I think he should have a DC who has his own juice.

Am I right understanding that Edwards was not a play-caller except in preseason? If so, it says something about how he was viewed as a DC. I realize Zimmer is always going to want his fingerprints on the defense, but personally I think he should have a DC who has his own juice.
That isn't something I ever see happening.

There is some merit to looking at the head coach as more of a CEO who has input but lets the coordinators execute their vision. I think that is why the Giants went with a special teams coach, that is John Harbaughs background and he has been a great head coach I think.

You wont ever get that from Zimmer imo. He is a defensive coach and while I have seen him grow a bit talking about the offensive side of the ball he is a defensive coordinator who is also the head coach. I don't see that changing with him.

Why do you think it should?

That isn't something I ever see happening.

There is some merit to looking at the head coach as more of a CEO who has input but lets the coordinators execute their vision. I think that is why the Giants went with a special teams coach, that is John Harbaughs background and he has been a great head coach I think.

You wont ever get that from Zimmer imo. He is a defensive coach and while I have seen him grow a bit talking about the offensive side of the ball he is a defensive coordinator who is also the head coach. I don't see that changing with him.

Why do you think it should?
I'm not saying it should. It was more a comment on Edwards. If a guy is DC for 6 years and does not call plays, I have to wonder what he brings to the table year after year or is he just part of an echo chamber. This defense seems to be at a crossroads where it does what Zimmer wants adequately with superstar salaries, becoming more reliant on soft zones to mask inadequacies (perceived or real). I think it is stale, and could use an injection of something, even if that something is not a change in play-caller.

I'm not saying it should. It was more a comment on Edwards. If a guy is DC for 6 years and does not call plays, I have to wonder what he brings to the table year after year or is he just part of an echo chamber. This defense seems to be at a crossroads where it does what Zimmer wants adequately with superstar salaries, becoming more reliant on soft zones to mask inadequacies (perceived or real). I think it is stale, and could use an injection of something, even if that something is not a change in play-caller.
For all I know George Edwards is a genius when it comes to defense. I only get to hear what he says in press conferences, which is nothing. That is on purpose. I bet Zimmer loves how he does that. It may give me the wrong impression of who Edwards is when the cameras are off though.

I think we all know who the main coach of the defense is though. Zimmer is a control freak and that is his baby. I can actually see some problems with that. He started off completely hands off in regards to the offense, with Norv Turner I don't think he had much input there at all, he let Norv do what he thought was best. When it wasn't working out well with all the 5 step drops with no pass protection, then Zimmer does see that and there was a falling out. 

Similar although more dramatic tension or lack of alignment between the coaches was with DeFlippo and Zimmer saying they were not running the ball enough. 

I think Zimmer continues to grow and while he has given his OC a lot of freedom, he still does have an overall picture of what he wants the offense to be. Which is mostly things he thinks are difficult to defend.

There is a difference in thought process for sure though. Zimmer is not going to craft unique offensive plays to beat his defense. It is more the other way around.

I can understand why the defense seems stale. Same personnel and scheme for the most part for 6 years now. There has been a lot of continuity on that side of the ball. That can get dull.

I do think Zimmer keeps changing the defense though. It is a big part of his job to make things look the same even when they are doing something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we’ll see if Zimmer is growing. Retaining a death grip on his defense and letting go of offensive planning isn’t growth, JMHO. Growth is recognizing the best way to improve his defense is to keep it off the field, and playing with leads. He needs to truly understand complimentary football, and be an advocate advising Spielman this team has a fatal trenches problem against top teams - who BTW are top teams due to their dominance in the trenches. When my team can’t run, can’t pass, and can’t stop the run against the teams I need to be able to beat, I don’t call Bill Parcels to figure out how to get over the hump. I actually found that call sort of alarming.

I guess we’ll see if Zimmer is growing. Retaining a death grip on his defense and letting go of offensive planning isn’t growth, JMHO. Growth is recognizing the best way to improve his defense is to keep it off the field, and playing with leads. He needs to truly understand complimentary football, and be an advocate advising Spielman this team has a fatal trenches problem against top teams - who BTW are top teams due to their dominance in the trenches. When my team can’t run, can’t pass, and can’t stop the run against the teams I need to be able to beat, I don’t call Bill Parcels to figure out how to get over the hump. I actually found that call sort of alarming.
I think its kind of funny that you don't think Zimmer understands complimentary football when that has been a point of emphasis for him with the players for several seasons now.

He is always quizzing players about situations and asking a defensive player what the offense should be doing and vice versa asking offensive players what a defense should be doing in a particular situation, down and distance and so on.

I agree with you the players on the offensive line haven't been good enough. I don't think you can say they haven't been trying to improve there. Brian O'Neil seems like a big win as far as that goes. He has played very well. Yes they need more work and the priorities they have in drafting linemen maybe are questionable.

They tend to target linemen with very good athletic abilities, similar to what they do when drafting defensive players. Its definitely a pattern. A lot of these players are very raw in their technique and they also tend to be lighter than average for an offensive lineman.

Before you say that this is philosophically wrong look at the 49ers who have a lighter offensive line on average than the Vikings do.

They haven't hit on all their picks though and Riley Reiff may be getting worse. Elflien has not worked out and I think they have given him every opportunity to. I think they have to be patient with the young linemen and I would prefer they were developing as back ups instead of starters. I do think the depth at offensive line has improved a lot but they are not done there.

The Vikings have Kubiak and Dennison now. I think these coaches can develop offensive linemen. I was not sure the Vikings could do that before.

As far as the defensive line I think they have done a great job of developing the young players. Armon Watts looks like a possible replacement for Linval Joseph. I thought he played well in spots. They do need to add more defensive tackles. I think they are ok at DE though, even if they let Griffen go.

As far as Zimmer talking to Parcels, well that is a bit of self promotion by Zimmer there. It doesn't alarm me. I agree there are issues that need to be addressed that Zimmer isn't in his press conferences. That isn't something I expect to change. 

Well, after the Whooping the 49ers gave the Packers, should make most here feel a little better about the loss to the 49ers..
As I said then, sometimes you lose to the better team and the 49ers were clearly better than 99% of the NFC this year.

I think with a better OL, an OC that utilizes the TE better then they did this year, and an upgrade or two at the CB position they have a chance to compete next year.

With Zimmer, Kirk and the GM all on the last year of their contracts it could bring out the best of all of them :popcorn:  

Today's NFL seems pretty clear to me - and the Vikings aren't philosophically aligned to succeed within it.

The passing game is smaller and faster. The DB and LB positions match up correspondingly. That's why big, physical guys like Rhodes are getting smoked.

Defensive fronts are ridiculously big, strong, and fast. That's why the ZBS is obsolete - while it might be okay for the run game (marginally) it is seriously underpowered in the pass game. 

The Vikings need to get bigger and stronger up front and faster just about everywhere else.

I think its kind of funny that you don't think Zimmer understands complimentary football when that has been a point of emphasis for him with the players for several seasons now.
I've heard him preach it from the mountaintops. If by 'point of emphasis' you mean he would stubbornly try to do it year after year without any legitimate NFL talent at OL, while horse whispering to draft CBs in the 1st/2nd to play soft zones when his offense can't stay on the field against top teams, then yeah. He totally gets it.

I've heard him preach it from the mountaintops. If by 'point of emphasis' you mean he would stubbornly try to do it year after year without any legitimate NFL talent at OL, while horse whispering to draft CBs in the 1st/2nd to play soft zones when his offense can't stay on the field against top teams, then yeah. He totally gets it.
I think he is trying. Doesn't mean he totally gets it, but I am sure he is doing his best.

What you are talking about here has to do with player acquisition and development which has been a high investment into defensive backs who haven't executed as well as you would hope given the investment into them and that you think Zimmer should be able to develop defensive backs with lower investment into them.

I think that is a fine way to look at it, but that isn't what they have done.

They may have to now. Waynes, Rhodes and Alexander could all be gone leaving the Vikings with Hughes and Hill as the only returning corners this season.

They did get Brian O'Neil who has worked out great. The interior linemen picks have not been as good although still too soon to tell with Bradbury.

We have seen their philosophy and the priorities that come out of it. They may be drafting a corner ahead of any offensive linemen this year and I am guessing you won't like that, but its certainly possible that is what they do. 

The future of the Vikings, part 2: Running backs

Cook is going to want to get paid and the Vikings have usually given extensions to rookie players who perform well before they are in the last year of their contracts.

The Vikings are strapped for cash as it is though so its going to be difficult to give him a new contract while also re-signing key free agents such as Anthony Harris, Trey Waynes and/or Mackenzie Alexander.

We have seen their philosophy and the priorities that come out of it. They may be drafting a corner ahead of any offensive linemen this year and I am guessing you won't like that, but its certainly possible that is what they do. 
I liked your whole post, but this is what stands out to me. No, I certainly won't like that. There is contradiction between Zimmer's game day philosophy and how they go about constructing this team. StarTrib said it perfectly today... SF did what Zimmer dreams of doing, which is to be a team that establishes the run and plays strong defense. The Niners clobbered the Packers twice with that formula, using a 3rd string UDFA RB and a beatable secondary. 

You don't work toward that by drafting CBs, WRs, RBs, receiving TEs. The early drafting of Waynes/Hughes/Alexander has had little impact to outcomes against top teams. It doesn't help them run the ball, and it doesn't help them stop the run. Until they can do those things, they're not only outclassed by Seattle/San Francisco (and probably the Rams and Saints), but arguably 3rd best team in the NFC North after being 1-6-1 against Packers/Bears in '18-'19. This team needs significant improvement at both OL and DT to run the ball and stop the run... drafting CB only sets them another step behind.

Further proof: Kendricks was named First Team All-Pro but still didn't make it into the Pro Bowl as a original selection. 

Just shut it down already.

Because the Pro Bowl is dumber and phonier than the Oscars.

And that says a LOT.
I agree.  They should do away with the pro-bowl.  Nobody plays and it just gives an extra chance to get a fluke injury.  Elect players to the All-Pro team for the recognition as this is really who deserves to be recognized.  If you want some activity do a skills challenge (but not flag football - Robert Edwards). 

Yeah, Harris can stay. I'd call him adequate but that's about all the team needs him to be.
I was doing some reading on it and the average salary for a starting safety is about $8 million per season. 

Harris is Pff's 3rd best free agent of the 2020 class and I have seen some speculation about Harris getting top dollar for a safety which would be $12-13 million based on recent contracts there.

That does make a difference I think. If Harris wants top $$ and he should since he will be 29 years old this season and this is likely his last contract. He has been very underpaid for what he has done for the Vikings so far.

So maybe they can't re-sign him either.

On some levels it is but part of the problem is creativity in the passing game.  They got in trouble when they went ultra conservative.  They need to be a bit more creative. 
I'd argue the tendency to become conservative is a philosophical problem, not a scheme issue. But I agree it needs to change.

I'd argue the tendency to become conservative is a philosophical problem, not a scheme issue. But I agree it needs to change.
Completely agree that it is not technically a scheme issue and they will not be contenders until they figure out a way to be aggressive offensively.  However, that still starts with better o-line play. 

We're in agreement again. Which is why I'm leery of changing up the defensive scheme. We already have a few spots that need to be shored up on D, and I'd hate to add even more spots to the shopping list at the expense of the offensive line.

Wouldn't that require a major personnel overhaul? We don't exactly have the guys for a 3-4, and isn't that what Phillips always runs? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think there is going to be a pretty massive overhaul of the defense regardless of who is coaching.

While you are not wrong the way that Phillips runs his 3-4 is pretty similar to a 4-3 defense as far as the gap responsibilities and where players will line up. I think Zimmer and Phillips defenses could be melded together pretty well, the main emphasis from Phillips on the defense might be more man coverage on the outside than what Zimmer has been doing.

I think it would be too many cooks in the Kitchen and Zimmer isn't going to give up control of the defense, so not much reason for a coach like Phillips to come here.

Teams are in subpackages so often that the terms 4-3 and 3-4 are somewhat unimportant because that is just the base personnel package and one the defense is only using 30% of the time, mostly on 1st downs anyways. But the way that Phillips has run his 3-4 he isn't having a NT two gap with zero technique. With Donald he mostly had him playing outside at end even when they had Suh at NT. Its still a 4 man front. Maybe more wide 9 technique from the ends at times than what ZImmer does.

There have been times where Zimmer runs a 3-4 but this usually has a pass rusher standing up like they had Bryan Robison doing and I saw Weatherly doing a little bit of this season. This defense is usually used with zone blitzes, one of the ends or the guy standing up ends up dropping into coverage.

Nothing surprising in this PFF assessment. Those pass protection rankings are atrocious. Pretty damning reflection on franchise scouting/personnel decision makers.
Well this is only one year with Dennison and Kubiak being the main influences on offensive line talent.

Failures in personnel acquisition prior to this is something I would table because Dennson and Kubiak have a pretty proven track record of developing these players for Kobiaks scheme.

Now if you want to say Bradbury was a failure I think thats somewhat fair. They invested a lot in him and e didn't perform as well as I think you hope for a offensive lineman that high in the draft.

Hopefully he gets better.

We didn't see much of Udoh or Samia but Mike Boone did have a lot of yards rushing against the Bears with these guys in the line up a lot. I have some hope that they may be good enough to challenge for starting roles in 2020.

Having continuity is something you hear people talk about with offensive lines. Hard to have continuity if you keep changing the offensive coordinator. This move offers as much stability for offensive line development as the Vikings have had in a long time. That continuity maybe wouldn't have been a good thing with Sparano, we will never know there, but TJ Clemmings and other linemen they drafted with him as the offensive line coach were not very good.

Biggest question to me is if they keep RIley Reiff or not. I think almost everyone agrees that left guard needs to be upgraded.

Well this is only one year with Dennison and Kubiak being the main influences on offensive line talent.

Failures in personnel acquisition prior to this is something I would table because Dennson and Kubiak have a pretty proven track record of developing these players for Kobiaks scheme.

Now if you want to say Bradbury was a failure I think thats somewhat fair. They invested a lot in him and e didn't perform as well as I think you hope for a offensive lineman that high in the draft.

Hopefully he gets better.

We didn't see much of Udoh or Samia but Mike Boone did have a lot of yards rushing against the Bears with these guys in the line up a lot. I have some hope that they may be good enough to challenge for starting roles in 2020.

Having continuity is something you hear people talk about with offensive lines. Hard to have continuity if you keep changing the offensive coordinator. This move offers as much stability for offensive line development as the Vikings have had in a long time. That continuity maybe wouldn't have been a good thing with Sparano, we will never know there, but TJ Clemmings and other linemen they drafted with him as the offensive line coach were not very good.

Biggest question to me is if they keep RIley Reiff or not. I think almost everyone agrees that left guard needs to be upgraded.
I was not speaking to Bradbury. I'm holding judgment on him until he has a full off-season and hopefully a better G next to him. The text that jumped out was:

Throughout the Mike Zimmer era in Minnesota, the offensive line has largely been an Achillies heel. Since 2014 the Vikings have ranked 23rd, 28th, 30th, 17th, 27th and and 27th in pass blocking by Pro Football Focus’s grading system.

And despite the general perception that the Vikings haven’t invested enough up front but it really isn’t for a lack of trying. The current line is made up of a left tackle who was signed in free agency to a $59 million contract, a third-round pick, a first-round pick, a free agent who signed a three-year $15.5 million deal and a second-round pick.

In 2017 the Vikings signed Mike Remmers to start at right tackle and eventually — in a failed move — pushed him in to right guard. In 2016 they signed Alex Boone to a $26.8 million contract and released him the next year. They also signed Andre Smith at right tackle and he played two total games.
I agree with you that one of the mysteries of this team are guys like Udoh and Samia, and the myriad of recent flunkies who sat on the bench. I'm probably like most fans who scratch their head and ask "we really don't have anyone else who can pass protect or hold a pocket better than that?" and typical reaction on fanline/KFAN to that question is "If they did have better, they'd certainly make a change They must not think they have better options." That's a sobering thought, given how quickly this line collapses against the DLs they haven't been able to compete with in the NFC North.

I think it is really hard to judge the back up offensive linemen because they didn't play very much.

However I thought they did pretty well against the Bears week 17 and thats exciting.

Personally I like how Rashod Hill has played when other guys have been hurt. He isn't terrible anyways.I think he is a free agent. I wouldn't mind the Vikings keeping him instead of continuing to pay Reiff. 

Others think Reiff is worth keeping at his current contract. I don't although I could see the alternative of Hill/Udoh possibly being worse.

I may have really over valued Drew Samia. He was drafted by the Vikings but later than I thought he would be taken in the draft. He wasn't able to crack the starting line up even with Elflien and Bradbury missing some time. They used DJ Dozier over him and I thought Dozier did fine. In fact I wondered a bit if he might have been a better option at center than Bradbury at least in the short term. I thought Dozier was being over payed. I think he played ok.

I think the depth the Vikings have at offensive line is better than it has been previously. I would love to see Samia take that job from Elflien if he can.

I would like to see the Vikings draft another lineman pretty high but I am somewhat expecting them to focus on the defensive side of the ball

I don't believe I've heard of this before.

------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings PR @VikingsPR

Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer have been named as the @Vikings co-defensive coordinators:

https://vikings.com/news/vikings-announce-updates-to-2020-coaching-staff…

3:36 PM · Jan 27, 2020·Twitter Web App

-----------------------------------------------------------

Have to ask Viking fans if they think its a nepotism play with Zim's son as one of the co-defensive coordinators and if so when  does Klint become co-offensive coordinator?

Yeah I haven't heard anything official that makes it clear what the reasoning is for that decision. Some have speculated that it was just a way to give those 2 guys a "promotion" without a huge immediate impact, since we know Mike Zimmer is really the true Defensive Coordinator.

But from the perspective of looking to the future, it puts more on both of their plates in regards to game-planning and scheming, which is hypothetically preparing them as potential replacements should Mike ever decide to hand over play-calling duties during the games.

Am I the only one that want them to let Cook walk?  I do not want to pay a RB top 5 RB money in today's NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread