What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (3 Viewers)

Terence Newman Opens Up About Mutiny, Zimmer, Coaching Aspirations

“I don’t know about coaching,” Newman said. Maybe I’ll be a scout or something, where I don’t have to deal with players because there are some players that I would…You remember Latrell Sprewell and P.J. Carlesimo? There might be a story like that but the reverse, where the coach chokes the player. But I think I’d have to do some scouting stuff. I have a different feeling than how the millennials are. A lot of guys rely strictly on their talent. They don’t put everything together. They don’t do the film work.

I put in a lot of film. I had Mike Zimmer as my coach. He challenged me. He’d say, ‘Hey, when you come in tomorrow, I want to know the routes they’re running.’ He’s the guy that got me to watch the film the way I watch it. I remember there were games I can hear him call out plays and I’m like, ‘Yo, how did you know that?’ It’s simple. He watched that much film. He saw a formation and knew exactly what was going to happen. So I wanted to be able to do that. So I started watching more and more film to be able to call out plays.”

Would like to hear opinions about Stefan Diggs' prospects for this season. 

My projections currently have him at 132 targets, 90 rec, 1,080 yds, 7 tds. These numbers place him solidly in the WR2 category, with upside. 

The consensus seems to have him more as a mid range WR3. I think this may be an opportunity. Thoughts?

The Vikings threw the ball 588 times in 2016 and ran the ball 380 times.

Peterson was injured for most of last year and McKinnon was injured earlier on in the season limiting him somewhat.

I think the Vikings will run the ball more with Cook and what should be better blocking than last year which was terrible. Mike Zimmer has stated it is a goal for the Vikings to run the ball more effectively this year. That said the offense is being built around Sam Bradford and the passing game now, where as previous teams have been built more around Peterson. I don't see them going back to being a more conservative offense, as they were with Ponder and a young Bridgewater.

The Vikings have averaged 987 offensive plays the last 3 seasons. 2016 was the only year they ran more offensive plays than their opponents. They threw the ball 588 times last year.

So I would guess they have 570 passing attempts 420 rushing attempts in 2017.

132 targets would be 23% of the passing attempts which seems reasonable as the Vikings primary WR however it may be a bit high.

Based on Diggs averaging 7.5 targets per game this would be 121 targets over 16 games. Diggs has not played in more than 13 games per year yet, There were also games where he played but was mostly used as a decoy because he wasn't fully healthy. I think he needs to prove he can stay healthy a full season before I would have confidence in projecting him to do so. Obviously I hope he will, he just hasn't done that yet.

I feel more comfortable projecting him for 7.5 targets per game or 120 targets over 16 as a median range for him. There is upside for him to be used more as you suggest, perhaps 130 or 140 targets for the year if he does stay healthy all year, but I would consider that the ceiling or upside projection rather than the median range one. The Downside would be 100 targets just based on symmetry 100-120-140 targets.

Diggs currently has a career catch rate of 69%. This is very good. Your projection has him with a catch rate of 68% which seems pretty reasonable, as targets go up the catch rate should come down some. I think 68% makes sense. It should be close to this, maybe a little bit less or a little bit more, a percentage point one way or the other won't have that much impact on his reception totals.

100-120-140 at 68% is 68-82-95 receptions. Diggs has averaged 11.9 yards per reception and 8.3 yards per target. So the median range yards would be 976- 993 yards receiving. The upside would be 1130-1162 yards the downside would be 809-830 yards. The total range would be 809-1162 yards.

Diggs has scored 7 TD in 26 games or .27 TD per game. Over 16 games this would be 4.3 TD if you went by targets he has scored .036 TD per target. 4.2 TD would be the median (based on 120 targets) the upside would be 5 TD the downside 3.6 TD

All of the above is just based on what he has done so far. It is possible that Diggs improves due to being healthy, better connection with Bradford, and other supporting effects, such as improved running game causing less defensive focus on Diggs.

32 Counter Pass, I would say your projections are closer to the upside for Diggs than the median range projection (which is likely what consensus numbers are pointing at). however if you expecting improvement from Diggs and the overall Vikings offense, your projections look pretty good, maybe a bit optimistic.

Diggs is a player I don't feel confident in him staying healthy all season, because he hasn't really done that yet. I need to see it. Some projections may be factoring in 2-3 missed games for him in their calculations, which also seems reasonable based on his track record thus far.

If Diggs can stay healthy all year and build on what he has already accomplished, I could see his yards per target going up, which would lead to more yards with the same opportunity.

I am curious about how you came to 7 TD for Diggs this season? I don't really see how he would get that right now although it is certainly possible. So far the Vikings have been putting a lot of emphasis on red zone offense, and Zimmer has said he will be taking a more hands on approach with the offense this year (for better or worse) instead of leaning so heavily to the defensive side of the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response B.

To your point about the Vikes wanting to run more, I pretty much dismiss that as coach's speak. Have you ever heard a coach say they want to pass more? 

In regards to run/pass splits the Vikes threw the ball 61% LY. I do not think they upgraded their oline enough to move back to a more balanced attack. I have projected a total of 945 plays, which is less then LY. Of that total I projected 56% pass for a total of 529 att. All of these numbers are very conservative IMO, still leaving room for upside.

I have Diggs TD% at 5%, which was his TD% as a rookie. Again very conservative numbers, and he projects out as a mid tier WR2, with upside.

As you mentioned the variable is availability. I have him down for 16 games (not in the business of projecting injuries). I know that Diggs has said he is committed to doing what it takes to play 16 games (player speak), so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. He will be in his third year and it just feels like he is ready to blossom. 

I wouldn't say it is completely coach speak in regards to Zimmer saying they need to run the ball better. The running game was historically bad last year. As a team they only averaged 3.2 ypc this has to get better almost by default. RIley Reif and Mike Remmers grade as better run blockers than pass protectors by PFF. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will become a run first offense, as they were in 2015 (474 rushing attempts) but 380 rushing attempts of 2016 is too few. In 2014 the Vikings ran the ball 413 times and Peterson was only available for one of those games. My guess of 420 rushing attempts is based on this.

Zimmer is a defensive minded coach and if they can keep scores close the offense should have more balance. That said Zimmer has also pointed out that there are other ways to move the ball than by running it. He acknowledges the short passing game as a viable alternative. Bradford is very accurate and so my guess of 570 passing attempts is slightly less than last year, but still a bit higher than the 550 passing attempts that I have been projecting for them previously.

One thing I want to emphasize again, is that the Vikings offense ran more plays than their opponents did in 2016. This is the first and only time the Vikings have done this under Mike Zimmer, and the last time the Vikings had more offensive plays than their opponents was 2010 when they still had Brett Favre.

The defense slipped at the end of last season, but it is very good. I think the formula will be a bit less conservative than it was with Norv Turner and developing QB Bridgewater.

945 plays is too low in my opinion. As mentioned above they have averaged 987 total plays the last 3 seasons, and 1006 total plays last year. I am guessing 990 total plays which is right in line with that, slightly above that average. The Vikings will still slow roll when they have a lead.

529 pass attempts is lower than what I would expect. 550 would be a solid guesstimate I think. That is what I was projecting for them with Bridgewater as the starter. I think Bradfords experience and comfort with Pat Shurmur, and well as Shurmurs tendencies will cause them to pass a bit more than that, which is how I end up with the 570 passing attempts number.

132 targets is 25% of 529 attempts. That could happen, but I think Adam Theilen, Rudolph, Cook, and Treadwell will all be involved as receivers, Murray and McKinnon to a lesser extent as well. I am pretty sure Floyd is out of the picture now due to violating the terms of his agreement to remain sober. Hodges and/or Wright might be involved a bit. I would feel more comfortable with Diggs at 23% of the total target share than 25% my median range projection of 120 would be 21% of 570 attempts. 

TD are always hard to predict. Your method is as reasonable as any other I suppose. The Vikings have other players who may be more red zone targets than Diggs, such as Rudolph, Cook and Murray. Diggs does have 18 career red zone targets, catching 14 of these but has only scored one TD in that situation thus far. 

So my takeaway is that my projections seem reasonable with some upside built in. The open question is whether Diggs will start 16 games.

One other point of interest, which I haven't bothered to research, is Pat Schurmur's history as a play caller. I recall that he is grounded in the west coast philoshy, but haven't broke down his history of run/pass ratios,

Well Pat Shurmurs most recent jobs were with the Eagles under Chip Kelly where he said he learned some things that he has incorporated into his play calling and philosophy somewhat. 

Prior to that he was the Head Coach for Cleveland, but I don't think looking at that would be very informative. I think Chip Kelly was still calling the plays not Pat.

Best example would be last season with the Vikings, but they will pretty likely be able to run the ball a bit more than last season.

32 Counter Pass said:
In regards to run/pass splits the Vikes threw the ball 61% LY. I do not think they upgraded their oline enough to move back to a more balanced attack. I have projected a total of 945 plays, which is less then LY. Of that total I projected 56% pass for a total of 529 att. All of these numbers are very conservative IMO, still leaving room for upside.
I am showing the following for last season for the Vikings offense:

• 588 pass attempts
  • 38 sacks
  • 20 rushing attempts for Bradford and 5 rushing attempts for Hill; looking at situational splits, I think all were scrambles and none were designed runs
That totals to 651 called passing plays vs. 355 called running plays, ignoring penalties. That is 65% passing, 35% running on 1006 plays. I definitely expect a shift toward more running this year, I do not think that is just coach speak. Peterson was hurt last season and the run blocking was terrible. This year, the team added Murray and Cook and the run blocking should be improved.

Perhaps 1000 plays, 600 called passing plays and 400 called running plays, ignoring penalties. Assume 35 sacks and you get 565 passing attempts to work with. Assume 10 or so of those are spikes/throwaways, and you get 555 targets.

If everyone remained healthy, I would project target distribution something like this:

• RBs 120

Cook 50
  • Murray 35
  • McKinnon 30
  • Others 5

[*]TEs 140

• Rudolph 110
  • Others 30

[*]WRs 295

• Diggs 110
  • Thielen 85
  • Treadwell 60
  • Others 40

Injuries will be a factor of course, but they are unpredictable.

Biabreakable said:
As mentioned above they have averaged 987 total plays the last 3 seasons, and 1006 total plays last year. I am guessing 990 total plays which is right in line with that, slightly above that average.
It appears that you are ignoring sacks in your 990 number, since I understand you to be saying you are projecting 570 passing attempts and 420 rushing attempts to get to 990. But their 1006 plays last season included 38 sacks.

It appears that you are ignoring sacks in your 990 number, since I understand you to be saying you are projecting 570 passing attempts and 420 rushing attempts to get to 990. But their 1006 plays last season included 38 sacks.
Yeah we have been down this road before in years past.

The total plays I am citing come from here the team stats and rankings.

PFR does not account for sacks in these totals either.

Below this you see the passing stats and the total is also 588 passing attempts. The sacks are accounted for separately. Those are additional plays that resulted in a sack not a pass attempt. The pass attempts were still 588.

Yeah we have been down this road before in years past.

The total plays I am citing come from here the team stats and rankings.

PFR does not account for sacks in these totals either.

Below this you see the passing stats and the total is also 588 passing attempts. The sacks are accounted for separately. Those are additional plays that resulted in a sack not a pass attempt. The pass attempts were still 588.
Your bolded statement is false. The PFR page you linked shows 1006 plays, which is 588 passing attempts + 38 sacks + 380 rushing attempts.

Your projection of 990 plays appears to consist of 570 passing attempts + 0 sacks + 420 rushing attempts.

Do you see the difference, or am I missing something?

Your bolded statement is false. The PFR page you linked shows 1006 plays, which is 588 passing attempts + 38 sacks + 380 rushing attempts.

Your projection of 990 plays appears to consist of 570 passing attempts + 0 sacks + 420 rushing attempts.

Do you see the difference, or am I missing something?
No you are right I see what you are saying.

Sam Bradford has a career sack percentage of 6.1% which is derived from the total pass attempts+sacks/sacks.6.1% of 570 would be 35 sacks so the total plays from that would be 605 +420 rushing attempts = 1025 total plays, While possible this is a bit higher than the total number of plays the team has averaged the last 3 seasons. 35 of those plays would be sacks which brings us back to the 990 total plays again..

To be honest it is a PITA to account for and I don't see it much changing the final result. If I subtract the sack totals from the pass attempts that would be 535 pass attempts +420 rushing attempts + 35 sacks = 990 total plays.

I think it is more likely that Bradford throws 550 times or more in 2017 than 535 

He threw the ball 36.8 times per game last season (589 over 16 games) and was sacked 38 times as well so 627 times would be that total.

I think it is more likely that Bradford throws 35.6 times per game (570) in 2017. A bit less than last year because the team will run the ball more.

570+35 = 605 times then if you want to account for the sacks. +420 rushing attempts would be 1025 plays which is a bit higher than the 990 number that I think is more reasonable. Especially when you consider that running the ball more leads to fewer overall plays. 

Maybe they only run the ball 400 times in 2017 I would be more confident in reducing that number than I am with reducing the passing attempts to below 550.

I think it is more likely that Bradford throws 550 times or more in 2017 than 535...

Maybe they only run the ball 400 times in 2017 I would be more confident in reducing that number than I am with reducing the passing attempts to below 550.
Agreed. I projected 555 passing attempts and 400 rushing attempts. :hifive:  

Now the question becomes how to allocate the targets. I posted my attempt above, with Diggs -- the subject of this tangent -- getting 110. Bottom line, IMO @32 Counter Pass's projections are way too high.

If I am reading this correctly (which in itself is an iffy proposition  :D ) @Just Win Baby is projecting the vikes to attempt 555 passes, of which Diggs would see 110 targets (110/555). That translates to 20% of the available targets. Diggs has been targeted  23% in his first two season, why the drop off?

For context, I am projecting Diggs to get 25% of the targets. My projections may be a bit optimistic, but not unreasonable. My optimism is due in part to this being his 3rd year, a full year under Schurmur, and improved pass protection. I grant that my outlook on Diggs seems to be a bit higher than the community at this point, but certainly attainable. 

Yeah I wouldn't describe 32 Counter Pass projections as way too high. Perhaps a bit optimistic or closer to the upside, but I don't think its unreasonable.

23% of 555 would be 127 targets. 

If I am reading this correctly (which in itself is an iffy proposition  :D ) @Just Win Baby is projecting the vikes to attempt 555 passes, of which Diggs would see 110 targets (110/555). That translates to 20% of the available targets. Diggs has been targeted  23% in his first two season, why the drop off?

For context, I am projecting Diggs to get 25% of the targets. My projections may be a bit optimistic, but not unreasonable. My optimism is due in part to this being his 3rd year, a full year under Schurmur, and improved pass protection. I grant that my outlook on Diggs seems to be a bit higher than the community at this point, but certainly attainable. 
Fact: Last season, in his only season with Bradford, Diggs was targeted on 19% of the team's targets.

Potential positives for his outlook:

• He only played 13 games and was targeted on 23% of the team's targets in those games. If he can stay healthy, that could mean more targets.
  • He is entering his third year and could still be improving as a WR, meaning he could either receive a higher percentage of targets or produce more with his targets or both.
Potential negatives for his outlook:

• As noted earlier in the thread, the pass/run ratio was 65% to 35% in favor of the pass. I expect that to skew back towards the run and projected 555 pass attempts and 400 run attempts... but it could swing further than that.
  • Thielen got his first real playing time on offense last season and had 20 fewer targets than Diggs, but he outproduced Diggs (same catch percentage, but higher ypr, TD percentage, and first down percentage for Thielen). This will be Thielen's second season with a significant role on offense, so he could also still be improving, and thus could receive more targets.
  • Speaking of production, Diggs was not very productive with his targets. Among WRs, he was #14 in receptions, yet he was just #31 in receiving yards, #59T in receiving TDs, and averaged just 10.8 ypr. This could result in swinging target share from Diggs to other targets.
  • 2016 1st round draft pick Treadwell only had 3 targets last season. He is reportedly having a strong offseason and should have a significant role in the offense this season. He should represent a significant upgrade on the other WRs last season (Patterson, Charles Johnson, Wright), and thus he could provide stronger competition for targets.

My projections currently have him at 132 targets, 90 rec, 1,080 yds, 7 tds. These numbers place him solidly in the WR2 category, with upside.
I don't see the rationale in saying these numbers still have upside. There are 4 numbers here. I cannot see upside on the targets or TDs you are projecting, and I think both numbers are high to begin with, which in turn means the other two numbers are probably also high. It was the targets and TDs that led to my way too high comment.

:2cents:  

Bradford had the highest QBR throwing to Adam Theilen last year. Theilen's yards per target were excellent.

I still think Diggs is a better player, but the chemistry and effectiveness of Bradford to Theilen should mean more opportunity between them, and could mean less opportunity/upside for DIggs.

Fact: Last season, in his only season with Bradford, Diggs was targeted on 19% of the team's targets.
You lost me here. Keep in mind that Diggs missed 3 games. His target rate prorated was about 23%. But you do bring up a point about chemistry. Diggs was only targeted 21% when Bradford was under center. I could be underestimating Thielen but I grant you that he is a threat to Diggs value. I have Thielen's target rate at 16% LY, so I feel like there is room for his target rate to increase without diminishing Diggs numbers.

Another good point you make is Diggs yardage production. His ypc was 10.4 with Bradford as his QB. Diggs averaged 13.8 ypc his rookie season. How likely is his low production due to his reported groin injury in week 4? 

The reason I said he has upside is that I thought my projections were pretty reasonable, meaning there is a good chance he could surpass them. Considering all the pros and cons I will likely walk his TD projections back a bit. At this point I am going with the narrative that Diggs takes a step forward, claiming the WR1 role and plays 16 weeks.  

And you guys thought my projections were high: http://thevikingage.com/2017/04/06/at-his-current-pace-stefon-diggs-poised-for-monster-season-in-2017/

:shock:

Well in order to make a somewhat educated guess, a little math has to be done (unfortunately). 
Yeah Math is clearly not this writers strong suit.

Diggs career targets per game average is 7.5 which extrapolates to 120 targets, yet somehow he ends up with 131 receptions based off of the information he cited.

FWIW I read most Vikings writers frequently, but this author is one of my least favorites, and stuff like this is the reason why.

He isn't as bad as Jeff Zulgad or Pat Ruesee, Dan Barrero but pretty close.

That's gotta be a typo.  Either meant 131 targets or a lot less catches.  That's only 8.6 YPC, well below TE averages.  I can't imagine someone is actually projecting those numbers intentionally.  131 targets for 100 catches would be 75% catch % (high, but he did it last year) and 11.2 YPC - much more realistic, if quite aggressive.

I looked up Bradford's TD history with WRs.

• In his career, Bradford has thrown 98 TDs on 2844 passing attempts, with 59 of those TDs going to WRs. That scales to about 11.5 TDs to WRs on 555 passing attempts.
  • In the past two seasons, he has thrown 39 TDs on 1084 passing attempts, with 24 of those TDs going to WRs. That scales to about 12.3 TDs on 550 passing attempts.
  • Last season, he threw 11 TDs to WRs.
So it seems reasonable to project 11-12 TDs for all of the WRs. That is one reason it seems unlikely that any of them will get as many as 7, although, in fairness, he threw 7 TDs to Jordan Matthews in 2015.

The Vikings threw the ball 588 times in 2016 and ran the ball 380 times.

Peterson was injured for most of last year and McKinnon was injured earlier on in the season limiting him somewhat.

I think the Vikings will run the ball more with Cook and what should be better blocking than last year which was terrible. Mike Zimmer has stated it is a goal for the Vikings to run the ball more effectively this year. That said the offense is being built around Sam Bradford and the passing game now, where as previous teams have been built more around Peterson. I don't see them going back to being a more conservative offense, as they were with Ponder and a young Bridgewater.

The Vikings have averaged 987 offensive plays the last 3 seasons. 2016 was the only year they ran more offensive plays than their opponents. They threw the ball 588 times last year.

So I would guess they have 570 passing attempts 420 rushing attempts in 2017.

132 targets would be 23% of the passing attempts which seems reasonable as the Vikings primary WR however it may be a bit high.

Based on Diggs averaging 7.5 targets per game this would be 121 targets over 16 games. Diggs has not played in more than 13 games per year yet, There were also games where he played but was mostly used as a decoy because he wasn't fully healthy. I think he needs to prove he can stay healthy a full season before I would have confidence in projecting him to do so. Obviously I hope he will, he just hasn't done that yet.

I feel more comfortable projecting him for 7.5 targets per game or 120 targets over 16 as a median range for him. There is upside for him to be used more as you suggest, perhaps 130 or 140 targets for the year if he does stay healthy all year, but I would consider that the ceiling or upside projection rather than the median range one. The Downside would be 100 targets just based on symmetry 100-120-140 targets.

Diggs currently has a career catch rate of 69%. This is very good. Your projection has him with a catch rate of 68% which seems pretty reasonable, as targets go up the catch rate should come down some. I think 68% makes sense. It should be close to this, maybe a little bit less or a little bit more, a percentage point one way or the other won't have that much impact on his reception totals.

100-120-140 at 68% is 68-82-95 receptions. Diggs has averaged 11.9 yards per reception and 8.3 yards per target. So the median range yards would be 976- 993 yards receiving. The upside would be 1130-1162 yards the downside would be 809-830 yards. The total range would be 809-1162 yards.

Diggs has scored 7 TD in 26 games or .27 TD per game. Over 16 games this would be 4.3 TD if you went by targets he has scored .036 TD per target. 4.2 TD would be the median (based on 120 targets) the upside would be 5 TD the downside 3.6 TD

All of the above is just based on what he has done so far. It is possible that Diggs improves due to being healthy, better connection with Bradford, and other supporting effects, such as improved running game causing less defensive focus on Diggs.

32 Counter Pass, I would say your projections are closer to the upside for Diggs than the median range projection (which is likely what consensus numbers are pointing at). however if you expecting improvement from Diggs and the overall Vikings offense, your projections look pretty good, maybe a bit optimistic.

Diggs is a player I don't feel confident in him staying healthy all season, because he hasn't really done that yet. I need to see it. Some projections may be factoring in 2-3 missed games for him in their calculations, which also seems reasonable based on his track record thus far.

If Diggs can stay healthy all year and build on what he has already accomplished, I could see his yards per target going up, which would lead to more yards with the same opportunity.

I am curious about how you came to 7 TD for Diggs this season? I don't really see how he would get that right now although it is certainly possible. So far the Vikings have been putting a lot of emphasis on red zone offense, and Zimmer has said he will be taking a more hands on approach with the offense this year (for better or worse) instead of leaning so heavily to the defensive side of the team.
Great analysis.

Breaking down Everson Griffen's contract extension with Vikings

Griffen is guaranteed $18.8 million at signing, which will be paid out over the next two seasons. He receives more money on the front end with his cap numbers rising to $8.6 million this season and $11.6 million in 2018. Included in those figures is a $5 million roster bonus this year and a $6 million roster bonus next year. Griffen also got a $2 million signing bonus as part of the new deal.

It leaves the Vikings with more than $13 million in cap space for 2017.

The new contract makes Griffen the sixth-highest paid defensive end in football based on his $14.5 million per-year average, according to Spotrac.com, which tracks NFL contracts. However, the Vikings gain flexibility on the deal as his salaries increase.

Day 1 takeaways: McKinnon, Reiff miss time and first day starters

OFFENSE

-Jerick McKinnon took off his jersey and pads and went back to the locker room midway through practice. McKinnon was taking first-team reps during the walk through.

-Laquon Treadwell took reps with the first team while Michael Floyd worked in with the backups. With Floyd set to be suspended for the first four games of the year, it appears the Vikings will give the 2016 first-round pick the opportunity to win the job.

-Treadwell lined up exclusively on the outside while Stefon Diggs worked in the slot. Under Pat Shurmur, Diggs was used more often as a slot receiver than when Norv Turner was at the helm.

-Riley Reiff was not present for the offense vs. defense portion of practice. Rashod Hill filled in. Hill played in one game last year, Week 17 against the Chicago Bears. He left a lasting impression as GM Rick Spielman mentioned his strong play in his opening press conference.

-Zimmer told the Vikings’ flagship station that Reiff’s injury is not serious.

-Nick Easton played center with the first team, not rookie Pat Elflein. This was also the case during OTAs and Minicamp. It appears the two will battle throughout camp as Mike Zimmer mentioned that he’s unsure how the center and right guard spots will look during the regular season.

-David Morgan got the nod in two-TE sets. He’s the second most experienced tight end – with less than 100 NFL snaps played.

-Michael Floyd showed exactly why he was one of the league’s best deep threat receivers during 1-on-1 drills, burning Mackensie Alexander and beating Xavier Rhodes.

-Cayleb Jones made a terrific catch on a deep ball along the sidelines. Jones’s size makes him intriguing, but he will have to stand way out to have a chance at a job.

DEFENSE

-Alexander took all the reps as inside corner in the Vikings’ nickel package. He picked off a pass that was headed for Adam Thielen. It appears the Vikings are confident that he will step up in Year 2.

-Terence Newman and Trae Waynes mixed in and out. Mike Zimmer mentioned that he sees Newman as an outside cornerback only for now, but if they need him in other spots, he can slide in.

-Tom Johnson played in the three-technique spot with the first team in the nickel package.

-Reps were split in the base package between Emmanuel Lamur and Edmond Robinson.
Mike Zimmer during press conference said that they had not yet decided who they will play at center and right guard. He said that it was more important to him to be right (picking the right players to start and where) than to make a decision too quickly. He did say the sooner they can determine that the better, but they won't rush that process.

Zimmer seemed miffed about questions about who would start at nickle corner and decided not to elaborate about the situation.He said that Newman can play well in whatever they ask him to do, but that he is a corner (Duspelling any misinderstanding media may have about Newman playing safety, he can do that, but he is considered a corner)

In DC George Edwards press conference he said that Terrance Newman has played well for the Vikings outside, the slot, and at safety and that he will do anything they ask him to do in the defense. He agreed with reporters about nickle corner playing about 70% of the defensive snaps because so many teams line up in what they call king personnel, 3 WR 1 TE and a RB. He says it didn't use to be like that, but teams are using that formation more frequently over the last 5 years.

Vikings’ Marcus Sherels says he’s durable enough to return punts and kickoffs

Reiff, who signed a five-year, $58.75 million contract last March as a free agent, suffered an undisclosed injury Thursday. He sat out Friday and again Saturday.

Zimmer has called Reiff’s injury not serious. Still, it comes after the Vikings were devastated by injuries last year on the offensive line.

“We don’t want to start the same thing that happened last year,’’ Zimmer said. “We want to try to get through 16 games with these guys, but it’s concerning. You don’t want to get anybody hurt the first day.’’

Reilly declined comment on his injury. Rashod Hill again took his spot with the first team at left tackle Saturday, when the Vikings were in pads for the first time.

“It sucks that (Reilly is) not out there,’’ said right tackle Mike Remmers. “I know he wants to be out there right now… It’s unfortunate, but I’m sure he’ll get back soon.’’

Also sitting out practice were running back Jerick McKinnon, who has a right leg injury that doesn’t appear serious, and linebacker Kentrell Brothers, who suffered an apparent left hamstring injury Friday. Zimmer said Brothers’ injury isn’t serious.

Rookie defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo was knocked out of Saturday’s practice with a leg injury.
Kentrell Brothers was also out from the day before leg injury.

Well sure Reiff isn't out there and typically the defense gets an edge early on when the pads come on.

I guess another way you could look at it is that Griffen, Hunter, Joseph are not easy players to block.

I hope Garcia is a successful offensive tackle for the Patriots in time. Seems like a strange thing to focus on when there are so many other things to consider though...

Zimmer on Mankato Farewell, Goals For Bills Game

He says the defense was ready to play a game 3 or 4 days ago.

The offense is more a work in progress. They have been experimenting with things on that side of the ball. For them it will be good to go another team. To see where they are at. then evaluate where they need to go. 

What is somewhat unsaid here is that the Vikings defense has the Vikings offense pretty well figured out by now. So he would like to see them against another team who isn't as familiar with what they are doing on offense.

I was at the game on Thursday night.  Managed to get some nice photos behind the Vikings' bench.  Takes from the game, geez Bradford might break his completion percentage record that he set last year as his O-line gave him little time.  Cook will be the featured RB.  Waynes lasted 2 plays, against Watkins and got hurt.  Defense depth looks pretty good but we'll go as deep as our O-line lets us.  I liked what I saw in the 2 rookie WR's, Adams and Coley.  I'd be shocked, at this point, if they both don't make the team.  Ham looked pretty good as the FB and I believe a little at TB.

3 Observations: Vikings Shuffle O-Line Combinations

Mixing and matching

When everyone is healthy, it appears the only position on the offensive line that hasn’t been determined is the center spot.

But if another player isn’t in, that could create a scenario of shuffling for the Vikings.

That was the case Sunday when Vikings left guard Alex Boone did not practice. Instead of plugging one player into Boone’s spot, Minnesota mixed and matched with numerous line combinations.

Riley Reiff and Rashod Hill each took first-team reps while Pat Elflein and Nick Easton split time at center. But both also lined up on the line together, as Easton and Elflein each spent time at left guard when the other was at center.

Jeremiah Sirles saw action at both guard spots, including filling in for right guard Joe Berger at times. The only mainstay on the line was Mike Remmers, who spent the entirety of practice as the only first-team right tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread