Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Minnesota Vikings: OFFICIAL

2 minutes ago, travdogg said:

My take on the game as a Bears fan, is that the Vikings would be very wise to take advantage of the mismatches in the passing game. Cook is probably not going to sniff what he did the last 2 weeks(Bears front 7 is light years ahead of GB/Det) but at the same time, the Bears will have zero rushing success against the Vikings. Montgomery(despite his poor stats) is a sizeable loss, as he's been breaking tackles just to get to the LOS. Not sure Nall/Patterson can do that. Bears OL is just awful right now, in every way possible. This is a game Nkagoue would have been a monster in. 

I think this is a game that will come down to QB's not making stupid mistakes, and WR's making plays. I'd bet on the Vikings winning, unless Mack and co. just destroy the Vikings OL.  Unless they have a D/ST score, I have a hard time seeing the Bears scoring 20+ right now. I'm expecting something like a 20-13 type of game, somewhat similar to the Bears/Titans game a week ago.

Yeah I have been hearing the Bears have had a lot of injuries on their offensive line. What is that situation like right now?

The Vikings have improved a lot on that front with Ezra Cleveland playing well at right guard the last couple of games. I think the Vikings offensive line is performing as well or better than they have in recent years but I don't expect them to be as effective against the Bears defense as they have been recently.

This is a big test for an offense that has been improving in ways all year.

The Vikings track record in Soldier Field is not good. But no fans maybe this isn't as much of a factor as it normally is.

I think you're right that this is a low scoring game and the team that makes the least mistakes should win. I don't believe in the Vikings defense yet but the Bears offense isn't very good. 

The thing about Nagy giving up play calling seems like a precursor to the end to me.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheering for you guys to win the Super Bowl. Good luck Vikes fans.

I've been a Viking fan for 30 years.  With the exception of 1998, I've never had more confidence in this team than I have right now.  The defense is the best I've ever seen from this club.  They have

Congrats Vikings fans, what a great game ? I posted this in another thread and you probably saw it already, but in case you didn’t, this is a really cool angle of the last play   http://dail

10 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Yeah I have been hearing the Bears have had a lot of injuries on their offensive line. What is that situation like right now?

The Vikings have improved a lot on that front with Ezra Cleveland playing well at right guard the last couple of games. I think the Vikings offensive line is performing as well or better than they have in recent years but I don't expect them to be as effective against the Bears defense as they have been recently.

This is a big test for an offense that has been improving in ways all year.

The Vikings track record in Soldier Field is not good. But no fans maybe this isn't as much of a factor as it normally is.

I think you're right that this is a low scoring game and the team that makes the least mistakes should win. I don't believe in the Vikings defense yet but the Bears offense isn't very good. 

The thing about Nagy giving up play calling seems like a precursor to the end to me.

Charles Leno(who is having a down season) is the only decent starter. Cody Whitehair is out, and James Daniels and Bobby Massie(the bright spot before getting hurt) are on IR. Its exacerbated by Foles not being very mobile. Honestly, the team was better starting Trubisky the first few weeks, even if he's less consistent. Foles has often been a sitting duck of late, especially with little(and now likely zero) running threat.

If Foles does get time, Robinson could feast on the Vikings CB's. Mooney could get deep too, but Foles seems to have a really had time hitting him. I'm expecting Graham to be erased. Nagy giving up playcalling feels like a huge red flag to me, especially since Lazor isn't some young upstart, he's a journeyman. That makes me think Nagy has no answers. 

On the defensive side, quietly the Bears secondary kinda sucks. They aren't great at covering anything, and only look ok, because the pass rush often gets there. Jefferson/Thielen/Rudolph should all have little trouble getting open. On the same front, it'd probably be a good idea to run several screen passes, both to combat that pass rush, and because its an easier avenue for Cook to get in space. 

The Vikings pulled it off in what was a nail biter and ugly game.

The offensive lines progress got a rude awakening from Chicago who does have a great defense.

I thought the Vikings played pretty vanilla with their defense early on in the game. I'm guessing to figure out what Lazor was up to before adjusting. They did not let Robinson be a good option with a lot of double coverage and the safeties manning up on him at times. They tackled well on the WR screens.

Patterson almost beat the Vikings by himself. Reliving games against Devin Hester there. The Vikings special teams having a lot of issues recently.

Its nice to get another win. Cowboys next week.

• Like 2

Thinking that we could have made a killing 4 weeks ago betting that this team would win 3 straight, with one of those games being the Packers... Someone fire up the DeLorean!!!!

Ugly win is always better then a "good" loss... 

Next 3 are winnable.. But this is 2020 so who the bleep knows.. Getting to 7-5 would be :eek: 

• Like 1

Uggghhhhh :kicksrock:

I knew this was going to be a tough game.. Just thought the defense was playing well enough to hold.. But they leaked all over the field.. Harrison Smith made at least 3 mistakes that I noticed.. 

On 11/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, Biabreakable said:

It's more fun than losing.

Amen to that, today was disappointing.

Got to say, after reading Souhan's article, I feel bad for Chris Jones. He's what, a 7th string CB? Horrible play... one that he'll be replaying in his head for the next decade; may cost him his job. Was it more egregious than a 1st rounder dropping a routine pass on a game sealing drive? I'm not saying that is a negative way to Jefferson, who has obviously been great. The point is many bad plays contributed to a narrow loss vs an evenly matched foe, and Souhan was pretty merciless framing "If the Vikings miss the playoffs by one game..." and dedicating an article to his ruin.

I've reset my expectations for the team and am just happy to see them play hard, which they did. They've over achieved to be 4-6. I'd have expected 2-8 or 3-7 given bad luck at DL/CB. They are not a great team by any stretch. 

6 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Got to say, after reading Souhan's article, I feel bad for Chris Jones. He's what, a 7th string CB? Horrible play... one that he'll be replaying in his head for the next decade; may cost him his job. Was it more egregious than a 1st rounder dropping a routine pass on a game sealing drive? I'm not saying that is a negative way to Jefferson, who has obviously been great. The point is many bad plays contributed to a narrow loss vs an evenly matched foe, and Souhan was pretty merciless framing "If the Vikings miss the playoffs by one game..." and dedicating an article to his ruin.

I've reset my expectations for the team and am just happy to see them play hard, which they did. They've over achieved to be 4-6. I'd have expected 2-8 or 3-7 given bad luck at DL/CB. They are not a great team by any stretch. 

I've seen even the "great ones" do this from time to time.. It was the Ultimate "look to see where I should run before completing the catch" :doh: 

The way I see it, they can't afford to lose more then 1 game the rest of the way if they want to make the playoffs (Playoffs!?!?. Playoffs?!?!?!).
Based on this link, they are #9 right now.
Not even sure 9-7 will make it, as the NFC West may put through 3 teams.

Edited by snogger
3 hours ago, snogger said:

I've seen even the "great ones" do this from time to time.. It was the Ultimate "look to see where I should run before completing the catch" :doh: 

Agreed, but not my point. I just used it as an example of why Souhan is ridiculous to amplify a single play in that way. Guys are going to make mistakes.

Edited by BigJim®
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Souhan is a jerk. He thinks he's being "salty" like Sid was, but he's just mean.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Yeah. I never read Souhan.

The Vikings had many opportunities to win this game but they didnt. 

They needed to win this game to keep playoffs Hope's alive. I think that's off the table now.

I am watching the games with a similar attitude. I just want them to play hard and compete which they did. 

Not even midway through the 3rd quarter, so there is plenty of time left but what the bleep kind of game plan is this??  No Thielen so let's call deep passing routes behind a OL that can't block.. Yea.. GREAT plan :wall:

At least the scare of Cook going down looks to be over as he looks like he is going to play once the Vikings get the ball back... then again, since the game plan seems to be to ignore him not sure it matters.

Vikings season in a nut shell.. Vikings Defense finally make a stop when they need to and......... Muff the Punt to hand the game over... :kicksrock:

Edited by snogger
14 minutes ago, snogger said:

Vikings season in a nut shell.. Vikings Defense finally make a stop when they need to and......... Muff the Punt to hand the game over... :kicksrock:

ANTI-JINX  ;)

Beebe makes up for the Muff by catching the TD..

Now, hopefully I didn't Jinx my Anti-Jinx with 46 seconds left..

Edited by snogger

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost was about to post a :bag:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
3 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

I was expecting them to lose this one but they found a way to win barely.

Same here. Carolina should have won. They played very stout D, and were a bad DL matchup for this Vike's OL. I'm not sure if E Cleveland is a messiah or something, but this OL simply can't play when he's not in. They ran the ball down the Vike's throat until they chose to pass in the 4th - at times when they needed to use clock. Really an odd "no, YOU take it" game.

As much as I admire Teddy B, I'm counting my stars that the Vikes moved on. Only coaching held him back from winning today, but he's just not a franchise QB. Period. Hopefully my Cousins fan club grows after this recent stretch. He seemed to roll out of pressure with his eyes downfield, and even had a couple clutch 1st down scampers. I really think the Cousins we saw when Carolina went to 3-man rush (mystifyingly) is closer to the QB we'd have with an improved OL. Vikes haven't given themselves a chance to see that guy often enough. 

Can they beat the Jaguars?

They'll be favorites for sure but they'll need to stop the run better or the D will be on the field all day. Jax has played a lot of decent teams tight. If it's still Glennon, he could be effective. JMHO, the Vikes have an iffy track record pressuring 2nd string QBs the way they should be. Zimmer seems to use a lot of 4 man rushes when he doesn't think the QB is a threat - or at least he has (losses vs Chase Daniel/Matt Moore in 2019). Vikes OL is benefited facing a Jax team with only 9 sacks on the season, and a bottom 10 rushing D. My guess is a 28-24 coin flip.   

• Like 1

I know you all are diehard Minnesota guys, but I've watched JAX nearly every game this year because of fantasy implications (Robinson and Chark). I can tell you that Dalvin can run all over them, Jefferson will find himself open, and if Thielen is able to come back from COVID, he will too. JAX is not very good. At all. Minnesota trumps them at nearly every skill position, including the Jags' strength at RB in Robinson. He's really not that fast, not that agile. Great vision and such. Eight in the box has to be the way to play them. Even if you don't apply pressure (as mentioned in the post above mine) Glennon doesn't have the talent to dissect a team. He's bounced around quite a bit and been given a role, but he really has never cashed in. Maybe this week will be the week, but if I had skin in the game, I'd bet against it.

Minnesota should win this by ten points.

Edited by rockaction
11 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Same here. Carolina should have won. They played very stout D, and were a bad DL matchup for this Vike's OL. I'm not sure if E Cleveland is a messiah or something, but this OL simply can't play when he's not in. They ran the ball down the Vike's throat until they chose to pass in the 4th - at times when they needed to use clock. Really an odd "no, YOU take it" game.

As much as I admire Teddy B, I'm counting my stars that the Vikes moved on. Only coaching held him back from winning today, but he's just not a franchise QB. Period. Hopefully my Cousins fan club grows after this recent stretch. He seemed to roll out of pressure with his eyes downfield, and even had a couple clutch 1st down scampers. I really think the Cousins we saw when Carolina went to 3-man rush (mystifyingly) is closer to the QB we'd have with an improved OL. Vikes haven't given themselves a chance to see that guy often enough. 

Cousins has played pretty well recently. I think Brett Jones is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. So there is the main difference from the offensive line. Cousins threw the ball 45 times. I think Cleveland will be back at some point and the pass protection might not be as good with him in there but the run blocking will improve a lot.

Teddy was playing hurt. He has played better than what you saw yesterday most of the year.

11 hours ago, BigJim® said:

They'll be favorites for sure but they'll need to stop the run better or the D will be on the field all day. Jax has played a lot of decent teams tight. If it's still Glennon, he could be effective. JMHO, the Vikes have an iffy track record pressuring 2nd string QBs the way they should be. Zimmer seems to use a lot of 4 man rushes when he doesn't think the QB is a threat - or at least he has (losses vs Chase Daniel/Matt Moore in 2019). Vikes OL is benefited facing a Jax team with only 9 sacks on the season, and a bottom 10 rushing D. My guess is a 28-24 coin flip.   

I am not familiar enough with the Jaguars to really guess. 

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

Teddy was playing hurt. He has played better than what you saw yesterday most of the year.

I'm sure he has. I'll stand by my read that Teddy at his best is a fringe starting QB (top 20-25 in the NFL). Maybe a justified starter, but really not in the same area code as the top 12 QBs to be feared.

12 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Cousins is a very good QB, and I'm always baffled why he gets crapped on so much. He's top-10 in the NFL in my opinion, and would probably have more people thinking it, if he ever had time. Cousins>Teddy for sure, and its not even close. Teddy is ideally a bridge QB or a top backup. 

I don't think Cleveland's loss was what effected the OL play. I think the Panthers just loaded the box a little more with Thielen out. 

Cousins has played pretty well recently. I think Brett Jones is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. So there is the main difference from the offensive line. Cousins threw the ball 45 times. I think Cleveland will be back at some point and the pass protection might not be as good with him in there but the run blocking will improve a lot.

Brett Jones has been the best OL on the team these last 2 games in my opinion. I'm not sure Cleveland(at this stage anyway) is a better run blocker or pass blocker than Jones. I do agree Cleveland is a better run blocker than pass blocker though.

10 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Cousins is a very good QB, and I'm always baffled why he gets crapped on so much. He's top-10 in the NFL in my opinion, and would probably have more people thinking it, if he ever had time. Cousins>Teddy for sure, and its not even close. Teddy is ideally a bridge QB or a top backup. 

My issue with Cousins is that until recently he has never really come up with a drive when the game is on the line.  I will give him credit that he has done it a couple times the last few weeks (and could have again against Dallas if Jefferson doesn't drop the ball).  Besides that he really hasn't been good in the clutch.  Too many bad decisions in the red zone and hasn't been able to get over the hump with the game on the line.  Maybe he has improved but I still don't have confidence that he will make good decisions when the game is on the line.

Don't get me wrong, he is an above average NFL QB and as long as you don't need him to win a game for you he is serviceable.  But that is the ceiling I see.  

I think Brett Jones is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker.

Funny, the only play I remember noticing Jones was the one where he was throw aside on the sack/fumble of Cousins. I'm not sure anyone stood out as being an effective pass blocker yesterday, against largely 4 man fronts (even if 8 were in the box).

8 minutes ago, Gally said:

Besides that he really hasn't been good in the clutch.  Too many bad decisions in the red zone and hasn't been able to get over the hump with the game on the line.  Maybe he has improved but I still don't have confidence that he will make good decisions when the game is on the line.

Please take this as a good natured rebut, but do you think being behind this particularly bad OL in obvious pass scenarios would make many QBs look great, or make good decisions? I mean, look at Tom Brady last night. That's my main problem scrutinizing Cousins... the scrutiny presupposes he's not running for his life. I just don't think there is a QB on planet earth (other than maybe Russell Wilson) who would succeed. Any QB will need time to evaluate pass options to show what they are capable of.   

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Please take this as a good natured rebut, but do you think being behind this particularly bad OL in obvious pass scenarios would make many QBs look great, or make good decisions? I mean, look at Tom Brady last night. That's my main problem scrutinizing Cousins... the scrutiny presupposes he's not running for his life. I just don't think there is a QB on planet earth (other than maybe Russell Wilson) who would succeed. Any QB will need time to evaluate pass options to show what they are capable of.   

I am not saying all his bad decisions are his fault but he has made some really terrible red zone decisions over the last few years that have cost the Vikings wins.  I am talking about just plain bad decisions that aren't really pass rush induced.  

Don't get me wrong, I think Cousins is a solid NFL QB.  I just think he is not a QB that will win games for you when the QB needs to go win a game late.  Yes, the O-Line & Coaching staff does contribute to that ability in playing to his strengths (which doesn't happen enough IMO) but I have seen him make some really baffling late game decisions that weren't because of bad line play - which is why it was more frustrating to me and stood out more.  

Edited by Gally
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Gally said:

I am talking about just plain bad decisions that aren't really pass rush induced.  

Yeah, he's made some bad decisions (as all QBs do). I guess where I struggle is saying what is and is not pass rush induced. JMHO, a QB is either going to expect he has time or he's going to assume someone is bearing down on him at all times since it happens so often. Whether the pressure is real or not I just think the internal clock for Viking QBs is out of whack. 

• Thinking 1
8 hours ago, travdogg said:

I don't think Cleveland's loss was what effected the OL play. I think the Panthers just loaded the box a little more with Thielen out. 

Brett Jones has been the best OL on the team these last 2 games in my opinion. I'm not sure Cleveland(at this stage anyway) is a better run blocker or pass blocker than Jones. I do agree Cleveland is a better run blocker than pass blocker though.

I just watched the first half of the game again. On almost every run play I see Brett Jones getting pushed back behind the line of scrimmage. Cleveland was moving guys off the line and also pulling well. On the other side of the coin Cleveland was getting beat in pass protection more often than Jones who I think does a good job with that. 

Overall I would not agree with you about Jones being the Vikings best lineman. I think the tackles and Bradbury are playing better than either Jones or Cleveland have.

8 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Funny, the only play I remember noticing Jones was the one where he was throw aside on the sack/fumble of Cousins. I'm not sure anyone stood out as being an effective pass blocker yesterday, against largely 4 man fronts (even if 8 were in the box).

Kirk Cousins threw the ball 45 times. He was only pressured a few times. I would say the offensive line did a good job of protecting Cousins for most of the game. Obviously not on this particular play.

Cousins ran the ball a few times. They were leaving him wide open lanes that it was nice to see him take advantage of.

Kirk Cousins threw the ball 45 times. He was only pressured a few times.

Hmm, I can't find times pressured stats, but the Panther D was credited with 9 QB hits. That seems like more than a few.

34 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Hmm, I can't find times pressured stats, but the Panther D was credited with 9 QB hits. That seems like more than a few.

Me either. If anyone has this data handy please share.

9 seems like a lot. Kirk Cousins himself was saying he had good protection during the game especially on that last drive. He says he held the ball perhaps a bit longer than he should because he felt he had time.

i found the QB hits in the game book. It was 9.  Brett Jones.

Against Dallas the Vikings gave up 7 QB hits. Brett Jones.

Against the Bears the Vikings gave up 5 QB hits. Cleveland was injured but played 100% of the snaps anyways.

Against the Lions the Vikings gave up 2 QB hits. Cleveland.

Against the Packers the Vikings gave up 1 QB hit. Cleveland.

Against the Falcons the Vikings gave up 8 QB hits. Clevelands first start.

Of course we need to consider the number of drop backs along with this as well. The Vikings only threw the ball 14 times against the Packers for example.

So as it turns out Cousins was hit more times in the game vs the Panthers than any other game I have looked at this year. The Falcons game was close with 8 on 36 attempts (22%) and slightly higher rate than the Panthers game (20%) vs Dallas it was 23% of the attempts ended up in QB hits, so the most pressure per attempt in the games I looked at.

What this tells me is that my observations of Cleveland and Jones relative strengths and weakness do not match the numbers. The Vikings not only were able to run the ball better with Cleveland in the game but the pass protection as a unit has been better with him as well. Of course these things go together as well as when they are running the ball there isn't the need to pass as much.

I think Dozier is the weakest link on the offensive line besides Jones and I think they both have been ok. Much better than Dru Samia anyways.

42 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Kirk Cousins himself was saying he had good protection during the game especially on that last drive.

Well yes, for whatever crazy reason Carolina chose on the last drive to pass rush with 3 men and drop others into coverage.

1 minute ago, Biabreakable said:

Yeah I don't think his comments were about the whole game. Just the last drive.

Regardless, whether they won or lost I’d expect a QB to say protection was fine. He looked pressured to me with 4 man rush, even when he wasn’t being knocked over. Your hit stats are interesting. How do those match up to league averages? I think pressure is really getting the best of Wentz based on what I saw on MNF. Just odd how he seems deer in headlights when I see open receivers, or rushed inaccurate screens before the pressure is actually there yet.

3 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Regardless, whether they won or lost I’d expect a QB to say protection was fine. He looked pressured to me with 4 man rush, even when he wasn’t being knocked over. Your hit stats are interesting. How do those match up to league averages? I think pressure is really getting the best of Wentz based on what I saw on MNF. Just odd how he seems deer in headlights when I see open receivers, or rushed inaccurate screens before the pressure is actually there yet.

That's a good question that I have wondered about myself. What is the average number of hits per attempt in the NFL?

I think the Eagles Oline is in tough shape right now and that has been a solid group for many years prior to this season for their team. 

As we know it's not an easy thing to fix. Takes a long time usually for new linemen to develop into starting capable players.

So looking for an answer to our question. I didn't find that yet, but I did come across this.

The total for "passes" is there as a guide -- I didn't do percentages because hit totals include plays canceled by penalty but pass totals do not.

I guess that is a bit of a problem for what I did above.

According to this Kirk Cousins has been pressured (hurries + hits + sacks) 23.9% of the time he has dropped back this season. There are 9 QBs who have been pressured at a higher frequency than this but the Vikings Oline by this metric is below average, which looks to be somewhere between 21% and 22% the last two seasons. In 2018 pressure % were higher and the average was around 24% that year (similar to the rate Cousins is being pressured now). I don't see data going back further than this though.

Kirk Cousins pressure rates with the Vikings so far

2018 26.5% (10th highest)

2019 22% (16th highest)

2021 24.9% (10th highest)

So by these numbers the Vikings were average giving up pressure last season but they are giving up more pressure now than they were last season. This data does include some bad starts by Dru Samia and Pat Elflien as well.

Here is Kirk Cousin pressure stats by game this season. So with Cleveland in at RG the Vikings gave up 21.6% vs ATL 20% vs GBP 14.3% vs DET 19.9% vs CHI

With Jones it was 39.4% against Dallas and I am guessing it will be similarly high against Carolina. The Vikings had 50% pressure rate when they played the Titans with Dru Samia.

Its only 4 games but they have been better with Cleveland in there no doubt.

Boy, I get that KFAN is rah rah, but listening to the pregame show there is talk about getting a big lead and resting Dalvin in the 2nd half while the Vikes cruise to an easy win. :oldunsure: It's sort of surprising. I mean, I hope it happens, but nothing about the 2020 Vikes suggests ability to steamroll another NFL team.

• Thanks 1

If Dalvin is really this beat up I don't understand why they just can't give Mike Boone more time.  Obviously he's not on the same level as Dalvin but he's fresh and hungry. That's a good combo going against a team like Jax this time of year.

• Like 1

Yet another "ugly" win... But a win is a win and..... if the playoffs started today.... the Vikings would be in :eek: 

So many bad decisions today but one that really stuck out .. 3rd and short, 23 seconds left and you throw deep??????? 

Just made no sense.. Short out route for 5 yards gets you a 1st down and at least 2 more plays... Instead you setup Bailey for a 51 yarder... which of course he missed. 

And, I know I've said this almost every week but.. For Cousin's health stop insisting on having him stand in the pocket behind this Swiss cheese OL waiting for deep routes to open.. He has proven over and over he can roll-out and pass with the best of them. 

Onto to Tampa.. If they can win that, they'd move to 6th seed... 

This game was emotionally exhausting with all the turnovers and the Oline again giving up ptessure.

The look on Cousins face was the same as I've seen when he has played badly before. I was not expecting him to pull through it and rise to the occasion.

It's great that they won but I think that's more because of the many mistakes the Jaguars made that gave them a chance.

It still took overtime to do it against a team that I now 1-12.

Hopefully they can play up to Tampa Bay the way they played down to the Jaguars, but I dont know.

3 hours ago, snogger said:

So many bad decisions today but one that really stuck out .. 3rd and short, 23 seconds left and you throw deep??????? 

They also threw deep 3rd and 5 from the Jax 40 (punt) and 3rd and 7 from the Jax 30 (FG). Really bad play calling in the 4th quarter.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

This game was emotionally exhausting with all the turnovers and the Oline again giving up pressure.

The look on Cousins face was the same as I've seen when he has played badly before. I was not expecting him to pull through it and rise to the occasion.

Yup. Looks like ESPN is showing 14 QB hits. I get the look on Cousin's face when he's facing a D that had 9 sacks on the season and he's getting killed.

• Like 1
Just now, BigJim® said:

Yup. Looks like ESPN is showing 14 QB hits. I get the look on Cousin's face when he's facing a D that had 9 sacks on the season and he's getting killed.

Clevelands return wasn't as good as I had hoped.

I didn't like the play calling from Kubiak in this game. Pete Bercich talked about the Vikings taking some deep shots and using the short passing game early on with Jax playing so much single high and looking to take away the run, and based on the strengths and weaknesses of the Jaguars defense, that seemed like the thing to do. Instead they tried to establish the run and sent Cook into a buzzsaw and made converting 1st downs more difficult. 

Its a good thing the defense found some ways to make plays. The offense just couldn't get enough going to win the game without that.

35 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I didn't like the play calling from Kubiak in this game. Pete Bercich talked about the Vikings taking some deep shots and using the short passing game early on with Jax playing so much single high and looking to take away the run, and based on the strengths and weaknesses of the Jaguars defense, that seemed like the thing to do. Instead they tried to establish the run and sent Cook into a buzzsaw and made converting 1st downs more difficult. 

Yeah, the deep plays needed to be on 1st/2nd down. You've got to manage 3rd and 1/5/7 on the opponent's side of the field more tactically in a dogfight. Not throwing the ball up for grabs deep. Any play is better than getting 0 yards with 48/51 yard field goals, and inexcusable from the 40 when you will need to punt.

Edited by BigJim®
1 minute ago, BigJim® said:

Yeah, the deep plays needed to be on 1st/2nd down. You've got to manage 3rd and 1/5/7 more tactically in a dogfight than throwing the ball up for grabs deep.

Kubiak has done this in recent games as well. Its not like he doesn't know better.

Just didn't call a very good game and Cousins looked off from the beginning. To Cousins credit he seemed to get more motivated after he threw the interception and I think he played better from that point. The offense seemed to be kind of sleep walking in first half.