What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Minnesota Vikings (4 Viewers)

Has anyone heard anything about Hughes and if he is available to play at all? 
I haven't been reading or listening as much as I usually do but I am not sure if Hughes is part of the plan.

Last year Zimmer made a comment about Hughes needing to regain his confidence. Now he could be referring to his confidence as a corner or he could be talking about his confidence to do things post injury or it could be both.

I would need to look it up but I dont think Hughes played much last year?

He was a converted WR and only played one or two season as DB in college IIRC. Part of the reason they took him was he also offered kick return abilities but he hasn't been used as such yet.

The injury may have really set him back. If he contributes anything it would be a bonus.

Biabreakable said:
I haven't been reading or listening as much as I usually do but I am not sure if Hughes is part of the plan.

Last year Zimmer made a comment about Hughes needing to regain his confidence. Now he could be referring to his confidence as a corner or he could be talking about his confidence to do things post injury or it could be both.

I would need to look it up but I dont think Hughes played much last year?

He was a converted WR and only played one or two season as DB in college IIRC. Part of the reason they took him was he also offered kick return abilities but he hasn't been used as such yet.

The injury may have really set him back. If he contributes anything it would be a bonus.
He has missed time the last two seasons because of neck injuries...some talk that it might be a career ending type of thing but nothing for sure. He seems to play well when on the field but that has been not nearly enough because of injuries.

He has missed time the last two seasons because of neck injuries...some talk that it might be a career ending type of thing but nothing for sure. He seems to play well when on the field but that has been not nearly enough because of injuries.
I looked it up.

Hughes played 173 snaps on defense 16.11% of the plays the Vikings defense lined up. 10 more snaps than Harrison Hand but fewer snaps than Troy Dye, Holton Hill or free agent pick up Chris Jones.

Here are guys that I would be excited about the Vikings drafting at some point in this draft (in the appropriate round, of course - and ignoring obvious studs that won't really be available):

O-line: AVT, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Kendrick Green, Brady Christensen, 

WR: Demetric Felton, Marquez Stevenson, Anthony Schwartz

RB: Jermar Jefferson, Kylinn Hill, Chubba Hubbard

D-line: Jaelynn Twyman, Payton Turner, Jordan Smith

D-backs: Shaun Wade, James Wiggins, Ambry Thomas, Keith Taylor

LB: Tony Fields, Monty Rice

QB: Trask, Mills

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am hoping happens is that one of the top 5 QB is there at pick 14 and the Vikings are able to trade down a bit and still get a good player of similar tier of talent at position of need after the trade anyways. That would be ideal.

Need to stock up on 7th rounders for 2022 of course.

What are the odds the Vikes take Mac Jones if he's there? I actually have no idea who they should take, I just like Jones and am one of those guys who will never be happy with Cousins (mostly because of that contract). 

I like the way that played out...
Yea.. Based on what I've read out there many think the GM "did it again".. Got the player he wanted, while adding draft picks. Hopefully they can package some of the 3rd & 4th round picks to move back into the 2nd round. :popcorn:  

I was gutted to see Slater go one pick before us as he was a top 10 draft pick IMO.  That'd have been a home run draft pick.  

Trading down and still getting Darrisaw though?  Unbelievable.  If trades weren't allowed in the draft, we'd have taken Darrisaw at 14.  To get him and pick up those 3rd rounders was a big move.  Darrisaw's tape looked tasty, but there were some athletic concerns about him.  I hope that's all overblown and he's the LT we need.

I was gutted to see Slater go one pick before us as he was a top 10 draft pick IMO.  That'd have been a home run draft pick.  

Trading down and still getting Darrisaw though?  Unbelievable.  If trades weren't allowed in the draft, we'd have taken Darrisaw at 14.  To get him and pick up those 3rd rounders was a big move.  Darrisaw's tape looked tasty, but there were some athletic concerns about him.  I hope that's all overblown and he's the LT we need.
I don't watch college football, nor am I an O-Line scout guru but he looked big and slow. I'm not sure if he just relies on his size but it almost looked like lack of effort. All based on a few seconds of highlights of course. Hopefully he works out. Can't argue with the protection production numbers. Wouldn't mind grabbing a few more olinemen. 

Sounds like just a wee bit of sour grapes from RG III here...

"I can tell you right now No. 8 in Minnesota is probably not real happy right now. Because Kellen Mond represents exactly what he doesn't do well. Kellen Mond is a big physical quarterback who can run and throw it all over the field and I don't think that's something No. 8 is able to do -- in Cousins in Minnesota. But, I think that's what the coaching staff and the administration is looking for. Mond had a lot of inconsistencies in his game, and the biggest thing last year was he actually improved drastically, but some NFL evaluators looking over the course of all the years of his starts at Texas A&M, they are still a little skeptical about him. But I would tell you this, with great determination and great coaching, I think this is a guy who could be a real riser over the course of his career. And as you see, Cousins has been collecting checks there in Minnesota for a long time, taking them to 8-8, 9-7 seasons. If he has a bad start to the year like he did last year, I could see the fans and maybe the organization leaning towards Mond if he comes in and impresses."

Pretty happy so far. The trade down netted two basically free pieces in Mond and Davis. Adding two lineman is huge for this team. Like that they both have strong production in keeping the QB clean. Hopefully the LB and DE can work their way into major roles. Kind of wished they would have gotten another WR in there somewhere. Hopefully tomorrow in the 4th with one of their 3 picks.

Here are guys that I would be excited about the Vikings drafting at some point in this draft (in the appropriate round, of course - and ignoring obvious studs that won't really be available):

O-line: AVT, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Kendrick Green, Brady Christensen, 

WR: Demetric Felton, Marquez Stevenson, Anthony Schwartz

RB: Jermar Jefferson, Kylinn Hill, Chubba Hubbard

D-line: Jaelynn Twyman, Payton Turner, Jordan Smith

D-backs: Shaun Wade, James Wiggins, Ambry Thomas, Keith Taylor

LB: Tony Fields, Monty Rice

QB: Trask, Mills
I love what they have done!

Didn't include Darrisaw as I didn't think he'd be available in a trade down and would have preferred AVT as a guard but getting Wyatt Davis later than I thought he would be available more than makes up the guard position. Huge to get those two plus Mond for the #14 pick (basically).

Mond isn't the QB pick I wanted but glad they took someone. He will add excitement to the offense if he ever sees the field.

I think they need to get a WR, Safety, corner and D-tackle today. Also, need to draft some more O-line help.

Honestly, wouldn't be upset if they picked a kicker...(did I just say that???)

Like I said in the Draft thread, from some things I read, I’m a bit nervous about Darrisaw, although of course I love the extra players that resulted from the trade down. I want toughness, mean streak and finisher. Players who love the game like Harrison Smith and ADP.

Walter Football: #5 OT. 4/24/21: “Darrisaw played well as a junior, creating a buzz with scouts. He has good size for the NFL and will enter the league as a 2-year starter at left tackle. Team sources have a love/hate response to Darrisaw. Some see him as worthy of going in the first round and think he is legit. Other sources, including a director of college scouting, say Darrisaw is a second-round pick, at best. They don't like his lack of physicality, mean streak, and the lack of urgency he displays as a blocker. Darrisaw is a great athlete with excellent quickness and agility on the edge. If he pans out in the NFL, he could be a Russell Okung-type tackle.”

On Darrisaw from Vikings.com:

Overview

Athletically gifted left tackle prospect with the natural talent to be as good as he wants to be. Darrisaw plays with plus body control. He has the initial quickness and smooth agility to get to any and all blocks in the run game. The tape shows a player who's able to make jaw-dropping cutoffs on the backside but who gives half-hearted effort securing down blocks and squeezing down to help protect the B-gap. He's flexible and loose in pass pro, with the foot quickness and hand strength to punch and close up shop on would-be edge rushers. His mirror can get a little lazy at times, and he will definitely need to do a better job of finishing his blocks. The low-burn field demeanor leads to inconsistencies in play, but the athletic traits and talent as a true left tackle should create first-round demand as a higher-ceiling, lower-floor prospect.

I really like what they did in this draft...I am a little shocked they didn't take a CB. Bynum was listed as one but they introduced him as a safety. Hopefully that means that Hughes will be ok and who knows about the Gladney situation.

The Vikings have to an attractive place for undrafted corner backs with their lack of quality depth.  It would probably be too much to ask for if the Vikings could stumble upon the next Chris Harris in the ranks of this years undrafted.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2021/5/1/22414896/minnesota-vikings-2021-undrafted-free-agent-signing-tracker-2021-nfl-draft

East Carolina WR Blake Proehl, son of long-time NFL veteran Ricky Proehl, is signing with the Vikings, via Tom Pelissero.

Kentucky RB A.J. Rose is signing with the Vikings, per. . .himself.

Alabama-Birmingham WR Myron Mitchell is signing with the Vikings, also per himself.

Darren Wolfson of KSTP is reporting that the Vikings will be signing Memphis kicker Riley Patterson to compete with Greg Joseph.

Indiana WR Whop Philyor will be signing with the Vikings, per Pelissero.

Ohio State LB Tuf Borland will be signing with the Vikings, per Pelissero.

What was your favorite Mike Hughes moment?

Feel bad for the kid, though. They injury bug really bit him.
I know he wasn't lighting the world on fire, but I thought he was worth more than they got, especially when his cap hit was only $3m. Hughes and a 7th for a 6th seems like a good deal for KC. 

Maybe the Giants will trade the Vikes Will Hernandez and a 7th for a 6th. 
I knew this was coming.

Will Hernandez could have been a bust if injured like Hughes was as well. Just because it was the right position to pick does not make the player immune to that.

I know he wasn't lighting the world on fire, but I thought he was worth more than they got, especially when his cap hit was only $3m. Hughes and a 7th for a 6th seems like a good deal for KC. 
I'm thinking with the neck injury, he is done...they were probably going to cut him anyway. They found someone to take a chance on the guy for cheap...not a bad trade, IMO.

I didn't think he played all that bad when healthy but the guy had a ton of injuries. 

Breaking Down DT Jaylen Twyman

The Vikings should be set at DT with Pierce and Tomlinson but we havent seen either play for the Vikings yet. I was excited about James Lynch last year but he never really made it on the field and the defensive line needed some one to step up. This guy Twyman is interesting and I wonder if he or Lynch work their way into the rotation?

Vikings OTA observations: Ezra Cleveland switches sides as O-line shuffle starts

Without Hunter at the voluntary sessions, the Vikings' new-look defensive line featured defensive ends D.J. Wonnum and Stephen Weatherly, nose tackle Michael Pierce, and defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson. Coach Mike Zimmer said in March that changes would be coming to the Vikings' defensive scheme, and perhaps that'll include the front seven after we saw a mix of 3-4/4-3 fronts on Wednesday.
It sucks that Hunter is not there. Possibly signs of trouble with him and his contract.

Interesting that the Vikings were using some 3-4 fronts.

Anyone have a podcast recommendation for the Vikings? I'm not up to sifting through 3 or 4 episodes each of the 10 that are available,  Just something to keep up with things during the off season. Most of my inseason listening is Fantasy stuff.

TIA

Anyone have a podcast recommendation for the Vikings? I'm not up to sifting through 3 or 4 episodes each of the 10 that are available,  Just something to keep up with things during the off season. Most of my inseason listening is Fantasy stuff.

TIA
I would but most of the ones I have listened to recently are pretty bad and some of them are so consistently bad that I avoid them completely.

I do like Norse Code but I dont think they have published anything new for like 3 weeks or so.

I have been listening to onebar and lupugus lately and they are ok. Nothing special that I would recommend them though. They are more tolerable to me than some of the others. Realistic Randy is ok in small doses.

TIA
I might be in the minority here but I like Purple Daily on Skor North. Zulgad gets a little repetitive when he finds one thing a week to harp on each day but at least they will point out what needs to be done (even if they are wrong) instead of just painting everything rosy. 

I might be in the minority here but I like Purple Daily on Skor North. Zulgad gets a little repetitive when he finds one thing a week to harp on each day but at least they will point out what needs to be done (even if they are wrong) instead of just painting everything rosy. 
I liked their show better when they had Collier on it.

I have mostly a hate hate relationship with Zulgad although there are worse than him.

Luke Braun who does the locked on Vikings podcast has had some good shows at times. I used to listen to him when I was driving more a year or so ago than I do now.

I am also glad that the Vikings did not sign Shamar Stephen who I think we all have seen enough of.

He was good 4 or 5 years ago but not any more.

Scheme Changes Coming for Vikings Defense

There has been talk of mixing in some 3-4 fronts for about as long as Zimmer has been with the Vikings and it hasn't really happened. They are in some form of nickel defense over 70% of the time anyways so who needs that 3rd LB?

Its possible that because of the defensive tackles the Vikings have now that maybe they do use it more. Sheldon Richardson can play DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front and the depth at DT might lead to some formation flexibility. 

I am really not expecting that but because of the personnel it does seem more possible than it has been in previous seasons.

So a couple stories now both of which are making me happy.

First of all Rick Dennison is gone and will no longer be the Vikings offensive line coach and run game coordinator. He wouldnt get the Covid vacene is why.

He is being replaced by Phil Rauscher who was assistant Oline coach for the Vikings last season.

This move gives me more hope than I had previously that Dakota Dozier will not be starting for the Vikings this season.

2nd hit of good news is that Deedee Westbrook is in town and may be signing with the Vikings soon. If he is signed I think it's a pretty good upgrade for the WR 3 position 

I don't see having 2 unvaxed QBs as workable in this environment. If one of them had close contact, the other almost always will have as well. I can't see how you avoid becoming the 2021 version of what happened to Denver in 2020. Stanley should be replaced with someone safer. 

Users who are viewing this thread