What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Office Chair Recommendation (1 Viewer)

It's not a desk chair, but here is my new office chair from which I do a lot of my work and footballguys browsing: http://i.imgur.com/l3udkKC.jpg

It's a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman, the tall version (not because I'm tall, but that the tall gives head support to guys of average height). Walnut with the upgraded Edelman leather.

I sat in one of these at the store - the seat is not all that deep. Measurements show an ok depth but the line up of the chair back takes away 3 or more inches from what I could see. I'm 6'3' and would like a bit more support for my legs. Other issue was the neck support - it was a bit short. Back was extremely comfortable.
I'm 5'8" so...yeah...no worries for someone on the short side :bag:

Sounds like we have some fans of the HM Aeron. Anyone tried one of the new "remastered" Aerons?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Knoll Chadwick? Same designer as the Aeron and looks pretty similar but maybe a slightly simpler design.
I bought mine "used" on eBay and it was brand new. That was years ago and it still looks and feels like new. 

Instead of buying a $79 - $200 chair at Staples or Sam's Club once a year, just get a Herman Miller Aeron. Seriously.  :yes:

Still going strong  :thumbup:
I got this Serta few weeks ago for my home office. I'm only 5'9" but loved the big cushy high back with the in-out lumbar action. Super comfy sitting crisscross in it. At it's lowest level, I still need to recline on my tip toes so I got a foot cushion to go with it.  :P

I have back issues and I've bought 4 chairs for my home-office in the last few years. Last one was a Steelcase which offered a multitude of adjustments. None of these have really helped much.

The issues with my back flared up recently and I borrowed one of the Aeron chairs from one of the conference rooms to use in my cubicle. This has provided more relief than any other chair I've tried thus far. I am now planning on buying one of these for my home-office. I'll be buying from Madison Seating (same place I got my Steelcase from a couple years ago). Their pricing is as good as I've found (out of box but I had no issues with my previous purchase). For the highly adjustable B size, just adding the carpet friendly casters, I'm looking at the mid $500's.

They also sell scratch & dent for about 20-25% less.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
So my wife is going to be working from home through the new year and looking for a chair upgrade. Budget is 1kish but not much more, would be thrilled to spend only 500 . Anyone look into this category recently?
My wife just bought a Herman Miller Mirra for $400 or $450 from a local Herman Miller outlet and couldn't be happier with it.  I have had the same chair for 14 years of office work and also can't say enough good things about it.

Oh, and we both added rollerblade casters to our chairs, totally worth it.  There are a ton of inexpensive options on Amazon for those.

Just bought a used Herman Miller Aero off CL, had to drive 60 miles one way to get it but saved a lot of money and it is an old chair but no rips, nothing broken, 1 small cushion that costs $18 I ordered to replace. I bought a "C" size, I'm 6-3 and that works great. Doesn't seem like it saw all that much action and all the levers and such work. Think the newer models might have an extra feature in the arm rests. 

The Miller is from like 2002, it is old and it had some scratches, nothing major and again we found the exact paint to touch it up, actually a spray can. 

One like I grabbed would be $1700 brand new shipped to your door now, I paid less than $400 for mine and I have been sitting in it for a couple weeks now, don't know why I waited this long to get one. Well worth finding one of these. 

So my wife is going to be working from home through the new year and looking for a chair upgrade. Budget is 1kish but not much more, would be thrilled to spend only 500 . Anyone look into this category recently?
You can hunt for Herman Millers online, I would encourage you to watch a couple youtube videos from some guys who specialize in finding them and actually selling them for a profit, all you want to do is find a good used Herman Miller for like $500 vs $1500+ brand new. 

You are going to waste money with those cushy Office Depot types, skip those. If you have the money, just finance a new Miller over 12 months, your wife will love you and she can pick out the right color combo and features. 

Otherwise it's like buying a used car, you do need to know what you are buying. 

Tip #1-usually there is a tag from Miller under the chair, that's in the videos but it should be under there...it will have a date. You might be shocked how old some of these chairs are and for good reason, they last. 

Tip #2-if it has snags or tears in the fabric on the bottom or along the back, just don't buy it. Scratches along the bottom, back, easily fixable if that's an issue for you. Important that all the levers work properly. 

Here is another tip from Crazy MOP-just type in "chair" on craigslist because honestly you want someone who doesn't know exactly what they might have. Someone lists it as "Herman Miller" and they know what they have, you will pay more. Still probably worth it if you get from the original owner etc...

You can hunt for Herman Millers online, I would encourage you to watch a couple youtube videos from some guys who specialize in finding them and actually selling them for a profit, all you want to do is find a good used Herman Miller for like $500 vs $1500+ brand new. 

You are going to waste money with those cushy Office Depot types, skip those. If you have the money, just finance a new Miller over 12 months, your wife will love you and she can pick out the right color combo and features. 

Otherwise it's like buying a used car, you do need to know what you are buying. 

Tip #1-usually there is a tag from Miller under the chair, that's in the videos but it should be under there...it will have a date. You might be shocked how old some of these chairs are and for good reason, they last. 

Tip #2-if it has snags or tears in the fabric on the bottom or along the back, just don't buy it. Scratches along the bottom, back, easily fixable if that's an issue for you. Important that all the levers work properly. 
No matter how smart an idea used wouldn’t fly with the Mrs. 

No matter how smart an idea used wouldn’t fly with the Mrs. 
I totally understand and get that. 

Just order what you want on Herman Miller, have it shipped to your door and I would tell her it was within budget(I have a similar Mrs) and just pull the difference from your sock drawer, poker roll, wherever you stash money and just not tell the Mrs how much one of these cost brand new...they're worth every penny and you can even recoup some of your money later on. A good used one, less than 5 yrs old, all the bells and whistles, easily $800-$1,000

It's like buying a Subaru, they hold their value. 

When I left my last job, my company asked me to take my Herman Miller chair with me. It was used when I first inherited it at the job (a couple years old and the foamy lumbar support thing was snapped in half by the previous employee). I took it home and sold it for $40 on LetGo. In hindsight I might have gotten 10 times more if I found the right buyer.

When I left my last job, my company asked me to take my Herman Miller chair with me. It was used when I first inherited it at the job (a couple years old and the foamy lumbar support thing was snapped in half by the previous employee). I took it home and sold it for $40 on LetGo. In hindsight I might have gotten 10 times more if I found the right buyer.
Most of the lumbar pieces are easily replaceable. I was surprised how many things you can buy to keep the chair going. Even the entire bottom plate or sitting area for your tush, that thing is replaceable and cost almost $200 but it can be replaced. 

The Aero in general is an enigma because it really doesn't have a lot of cushions and yet it is more comfortable than many super foamy type chairs. To look at a HM Aero, it looks like it might be uncomfortable at first, you have to sit in them to understand how they work. I suffer almost no pain except I did wear a strawberry into my right elbow from rubbing the arm rest and being in the chair so many consecutive hours. 

Depends on the fiber content of your diet, tbh.  

If anyone's in western Michigan, I've bought two HM Mirras now from the Office Outlet.  It's a weird store.

I've been sitting in my Mirra for something like 30,000 hours and it's tremendous.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-office-chair/ is a good article - they recommend both the Aeron and Sayl, and say this about the Mirra:

The Herman Miller Mirra 2 is a good office chair that’s priced comparably to the Aeron. We think the Aeron is a better chair with a more comfortable seat and better tilt controls, though.
Fair enough.  Mirra's over the awesome bar, though, and we found a good deal - https://www.officeoutlet.net/products/seating/mirra-chair-cappuccino/ is the one my wife bought, $400 is a great price for a top-level chair that lasts forever.

They have Aerons and Sayls too.

Just bought a used Herman Miller Aero off CL, had to drive 60 miles one way to get it but saved a lot of money and it is an old chair but no rips, nothing broken, 1 small cushion that costs $18 I ordered to replace. I bought a "C" size, I'm 6-3 and that works great. Doesn't seem like it saw all that much action and all the levers and such work. Think the newer models might have an extra feature in the arm rests. 

The Miller is from like 2002, it is old and it had some scratches, nothing major and again we found the exact paint to touch it up, actually a spray can. 

One like I grabbed would be $1700 brand new shipped to your door now, I paid less than $400 for mine and I have been sitting in it for a couple weeks now, don't know why I waited this long to get one. Well worth finding one of these. 
Going to have to finally order one of these for myself. Have been using them at the office most of my career. Even rolled one from one building to another because I didn't like the chairs in the new building (it was with the same company).

mr roboto said:
Crazy they have a store about half a mile from my house up here in Minneapolis. I might stop by there today I’ll let you know if I find out anything interesting.
curious to hear what you might find out  :thumbup:

we were just in a town that had what appeared to be a Herman Miller corporate office, but i didn't go inside :oldunsure:

if i was getting a new chair the number one thing i would look for in reviews is how does it hold up to destinys child independent women part 1 because if that song comes on i will jam the hell out and any chair i am in better damn well be up to the challenge take that to the bank bromigos 

We've been rocking the Herman Miller Aeron for a couple of years in our home office and have been very pleased with it.

With my GF now working from home, we went with the kneeling-style Varier Balans. I find that the kneeling posture alleviates lumbar discomfort quite a bit more.

Just bought a second for my other remote office.

That being said, any recommendations on office stools?

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/deals/#deal-175765

Wirecutter’s top pick is on a sale - Steelcase Gesture.
To each their own but if you are going to fork out close to a $1,000 on an office chair that doesn't say Herman Miller on it, hard for me to understand. The Aeron is the one I think I have at home, very popular in many offices throughout America and around the world, you can buy them used on Craigslist for a wide range of budgets, a little newer cost you more but I would rather have a 10 year old Aeron that wasn't abused vs a new Steelcase Anything, just my .02

To each their own but if you are going to fork out close to a $1,000 on an office chair that doesn't say Herman Miller on it, hard for me to understand. The Aeron is the one I think I have at home, very popular in many offices throughout America and around the world, you can buy them used on Craigslist for a wide range of budgets, a little newer cost you more but I would rather have a 10 year old Aeron that wasn't abused vs a new Steelcase Anything, just my .02
Steelcase is the only one I would put up against Herman Miller.  My wife and I each have HM chairs, so I get it... but Steelcase is just as good.

Search Cort Furniture for chairs.

I have seen 1k+ Herman Miller’s go for $200

I have an Aeron for fwiw and I love it.

My HM Mirra mesh seat was sagging after 14 years, with my legs starting to touch the understructure a bit near the front.  You can get a replacement seat pan for around $150-$200, but I bought a Mirra 2 from the HM outlet and am very happy with it.  It's not much different from the Mirra - seems slightly smaller and lighter, but mostly it feels the same.

I moved the old Mirra to the family PC desk, might get a replacement seat pan and see if I can get another 14 years out of it.  The kids love it so far even with the saggy seat.

bump.  looking at the steelcase Leap and the Herman Miller Embody.  Thoughts?  Feedback from those using these for a while?

Users who are viewing this thread