What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (4 Viewers)

Reid is on very thin ice - lost 2 games at home, has lost playoff home field advantage ( 2 games back of NE but might not even be the 2nd best AFC team. might fail to get a playoff bye, could be an 11-5 team, having to travel in the postseason - ya never know).so who becomes Mahomes' new OC and HC in 2020? someone much less likely to  pass as much, probably a run-first offense, leaving Mahomes' stats at the door. .people get so wrapped up in catchy phrases like 'generational QB', its comical.

Reid should be fired for hiring an incompetent coach like Spags in the first place.
The Chiefs mess is multi-layered at this point, but these are two points the fan base is starting to grumble about.

The other is Brett Veach. His drafts have been awful. His defensive player acquisition has been awful, save Mathieu. Now, the question is if Veach is pulling these strings or Reid. My money is on Reid, and we know from his Philly demise that he should not be anywhere near player acquisition.

And still, Reid will be safe for another 3 years in my opinion. And Spagnoulo unfortunately will get another year. And it's hard to even judge that hire because the talent he has been given has been awful so far. Other than Chris Jones, who is hurt right now.

And then the injuries.....

:lol:

For the chatter about the Chiefs struggles and front office woes, it’s worth pointing out that one of their beat writers spent half  the preseason haranguing their GM for not dealing Demarcus Robinson for a DB. 

a move that in hindsight would have likely caused them to lose a game. 

They’ve struggled more against the run, and that’s mostly because of injury. 

I’m just sayin - armchair GM is a much easier gig than actual GM.

But if imma play armchair GM, then IMO the Chiefs should look at dealing draft picks to get help on defense to replace the players they lost. As some have pointed out, they haven’t used their draft picks that well anyway - windows are short in the NFL. When Mahomes got his ankle rolled up on that coulda been the season. They got lucky there. 

if they’re in win-now mode they should be looking to fill those holes. Their OL will get healthy. The defensive injuries have been killing them. It’s essentially why they’ve lost two games. 

from a FF perspective it’s awesome. Tyreek in one league, Mahomes in another, I love shootouts! 

but if I’m a chiefs fan, I wanna see them make a move or two to shore up that defense or the window of opportunity that is 2019 is gonna start closing in a hurry. 

their only saving grace is that the Chargers are a train wreck, the Raiders aren’t the best 3-2 team I’ve seen, and Denver has Flacco at QB. 

but in the playoffs the elite teams are gonna run all over em. That’s a recipe for an early exit. 

I've started Mahomes all year confidently, but this week I'm seriously considering sitting him. (8 team league and I have Watson and Wilson and we start 2 QBs)

Plus, I have Tyreek...

Denver has one of the best Ds against QBs and WRs. Without Watkins, in Mile High, with injuries and weak Oline, it might be the week to bench him...talk me out of it.

I've started Mahomes all year confidently, but this week I'm seriously considering sitting him. (8 team league and I have Watson and Wilson and we start 2 QBs)

Plus, I have Tyreek...

Denver has one of the best Ds against QBs and WRs. Without Watkins, in Mile High, with injuries and weak Oline, it might be the week to bench him...talk me out of it.
You drafted Mahomes. Start him. 

if you want advice, there’s a forum for that. (Psst - assistant coach) 

Last edited by a moderator:

Plus, I have Tyreek...

I agree 100%.  Definite floor game.  You have 3 top 5 QBs lol..I would roll with the other 2.

You drafted Mahomes. Start him. 

if you want advice, there’s a forum for that. (Psst - assistant coach) 
I drafted all 3 QBs actually and thanks, I know about the assistant coach forum (that no one really seems to participate in that often).

Back to the subject at hand, how does everybody think that Mahomes will perform this weekend - bounce back or continue current trend? (worded so I don't get called out again - sheesh)

it's kind of funny what a couple weeks will do.....

Chiefs were 4-0 and SB contenders......now they are a train wreck, the league has figured out Mahomes....Reid and the GM should be fired...the demise of the Chiefs

Broncos were 0-4 and just barely better than MIA, WAS, and CIN....trade Von, Sanders, and Chris Harris...start that Lock kid...now they beat two ####ty teams...and they are back baby...playoff contenders, especially "if they win this one game tonight baby".....

the Chiefs very well may lose tonight and it will only add to the narrative above.....but I don't think the Chiefs are as bad as people are making it out to be....nor are the Broncos "back" like some are saying....

as far as KC goes....even if they lose tonight, they will have 10 days to get healthy.....the injuries to Fisher and Jones hurt....and yeah they can't stop the run, but they still almost won the IND and HOU game.....(the Kelce flag pick up and not changed to holding resulting in a pick totally changed that game) and we probably wouldn't be having these conversations, even tho yes the defense is bad and can't stop the run....barely had the ball and still almost beat HOU and IND...but the defense was bad last year and they still almost made the super bowl...maybe they can make a move to bring in some help to stop the run, maybe they just get healthy.....either way, a win tonight and maybe 3-4 Mahomes TD's etc will right the ship and keep people from making snap judgments and having their heads explode....

it's kind of funny what a couple weeks will do.....

Chiefs were 4-0 and SB contenders......now they are a train wreck, the league has figured out Mahomes....Reid and the GM should be fired...the demise of the Chiefs

Broncos were 0-4 and just barely better than MIA, WAS, and CIN....trade Von, Sanders, and Chris Harris...start that Lock kid...now they beat two ####ty teams...and they are back baby...playoff contenders, especially "if they win this one game tonight baby".....

the Chiefs very well may lose tonight and it will only add to the narrative above.....but I don't think the Chiefs are as bad as people are making it out to be....nor are the Broncos "back" like some are saying....

as far as KC goes....even if they lose tonight, they will have 10 days to get healthy.....the injuries to Fisher and Jones hurt....and yeah they can't stop the run, but they still almost won the IND and HOU game.....(the Kelce flag pick up and not changed to holding resulting in a pick totally changed that game) and we probably wouldn't be having these conversations, even tho yes the defense is bad and can't stop the run....barley had the ball and still almost beat HOU...but the defense was bad last year and they still almost made the super bowl...maybe they can make a move to bring in some help to stop the run, maybe they just healthy.....either way, a win tonight and maybe 3-4 Mahomes TD's etc will right the ship and keep people from making snap judgements and having their heads explode....
Level-headed posts are rare on this forum lately. This is one of them. 
👍🏼

Let’s hope all 4 of those TDs go to Tyreek tonight. :pickle:

Denver’s D has looked better but as you mentioned, against weaker offenses/competition. 

The interesting thing will be whether KC can slow down Royce/Lindsey. IMO that’s the only way Broncos win this game. A little Sutton sprinkled in, but without Sanders at 100%, and with Flacco at QB I can’t see Denver winning a shootout. Their best bet will be playing keep-away. I don’t think the Broncos have topped 24 points in  a game. That’s probably not enough to beat the Chiefs since the Denver secondary isn’t that great.

If KC can get up 2 scores on the Broncos early, that’s probably a wrap. Flacco is bad at hero ball.

should be a fun game. 

Level-headed posts are rare on this forum lately. This is one of them. 
👍🏼

Let’s hope all 4 of those TDs go to Tyreek tonight. :pickle:

Denver’s D has looked better but as you mentioned, against weaker offenses/competition. 

The interesting thing will be whether KC can slow down Royce/Lindsey. IMO that’s the only way Broncos win this game. A little Sutton sprinkled in, but without Sanders at 100%, and with Flacco at QB I can’t see Denver winning a shootout. Their best bet will be playing keep-away. I don’t think the Broncos have topped 24 points in  a game. That’s probably not enough to beat the Chiefs since the Denver secondary isn’t that great.

If KC can get up 2 scores on the Broncos early, that’s probably a wrap. Flacco is bad at hero ball.

should be a fun game. 
I am a chiefs fan living in CO...all the talk is that there is a "blueprint" out there....and yeah you really can't argue that....NE ran it down KC throats last year, IND and HOU some success this year as well....other teams ran well against them as well even tho KC won....I don't think HOU even punted and had like 7 drives of 10+ play drives....the inability to stop the run and that result in long clock draining drives forces KC to capitalize on every possession.....cannot turn it over or punt....especially if the other team has a guy like Watson who can convert short third or fourth downs with his legs, etc....the Chiefs are only ahead of MIA and WAS as far as time of possession.... :eek: ....while some of that can be credited to their quick strike ability, its more a reflection of their defense....I expect Fangio to go for it on some 4th downs tonight, but hopefully Flacco isn't as efficient at sustaining drives on 3rd or 4th down as Watson or Brissett were...if KC can get DEN to punt just like 3 times, I think KC can pull this one out....a couple holding penalties on Bolles/Broncos would help....

Its the pace that worries me, not whether or not KC will win the game. 

QBs
Patrick Mahomes: Was Mahomes limited by his mobility last week? Yeah, likely. He constantly underthrew balls to his receivers, including the long touchdown to Hill where he needed to sky over a defender. This is all part of the allure with Mahomes, as he’s willing to let his receivers make a play on the ball. Against the Broncos, it’ll be a tougher task, as they’ve held all six quarterbacks they’ve played to less than 260 yards through the air. In fact, there’s been just one game where they’ve allowed more than one passing touchdown. Part of the reason they’ve accomplished those feats, though, is due to very low volume. Of the six games they’ve played, just one quarterback topped 33 pass attempts, with 4-of-6 finishing with less than 30 pass attempts. You do have to look at the quarterbacks they’ve played knowing it’s a small sample size but seeing Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers on that list makes it a tad more impressive. The biggest concern with Mahomes in this game is pace, as the Broncos simply slow down the game to the point it limits their opponent’s plays. He’s also traveling to the west coast on a Thursday night game, which isn’t the greatest of scenarios. You’re going to play Mahomes in season-long leagues every week, though him having just three days of rest on his ankle isn’t going to help him get healthier or produce at an elite level. He’s also going to be without his starting left tackle and left guard for this game. One thing I will say… with the way the ball travels in the Denver air, you might just see Mahomes throw the ball over them mountains.
https://www.fantasypros.com/2019/10/the-primer-week-7-edition-2019-fantasy-football/

I’m notoriously difficult to trade with in this dynasty league.  And over 20 years I’ve been so bad at drafting QBs that I kinda want to bask in it for a while.
Also knowing it's dynasty it makes a bit more sense. Hold until you get a good one. Sorry to hijack the Mahomes thread. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hoh
I’m notoriously difficult to trade with in this dynasty league.  And over 20 years I’ve been so bad at drafting QBs that I kinda want to bask in it for a while.
Dynasty changes everything. I have Mahomes and would love to have another top quarterback, especially since it’s a super flex league.

I don’t have the luxury of benching him for anyone, so I’m rolling with my homey and hoping for the best.

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
NFL Network's James Palmer said Patrick Mahomes is dealing with a "legit" ankle injury.

Speaking on Mahomes' relative lack of production the past few games (we say "relative" because he's still on pace to shatter the league's single-season passing yards record), Palmer said the quarterback's ankle ailment, an injury he picked up in Week 1 and later aggravated against the Colts in Week 5, is "probably worse than most people think it is." Palmer noted that opponents have emphasized man coverage schemes against the hobbled MVP, who has been reluctant to abandon the pocket throughout his injury. Despite his ankle woes, Mahomes has only missed nine offensive snaps this year and none since Week 1.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 1:54 PM ET

Should the Chiefs sit Patrick Mahomes for a week?

For the second week in a row, Mahomes aggravated the ankle injury he originally suffered in Kansas City's season-opening win over Jacksonville. For the second week in a row, he wasn't anywhere near as effective after taking a hit to the ankle. 
Dylan Scott‏ @DylanScottTV 3m3 minutes ago

@PatrickMahomes walking off the field, team trainers having a look. Appears on TV to be a leg injury of some sort. @Chiefs going to Moore on this drive and settle for a field goal. 13-6 2Q. #DENvsKC

----------------------------------------

Ugh!

Patrick Mahomes limped off the field during the second quarter against the Broncos with a right knee injury and has been ruled out for the remainder of the game.

Andy Reid called a quarterback sneak near the goal line in order to convert a 4th and short, and it resulted in Mahomes laying on the field injured. Helmet off, covering his face, Mahomes had his right knee attended to by doctors. The cart even drove onto the field, but Mahomes waved it off and limped off with trainers. He was then seen in the X-ray room, exited after two minutes and was immediately ruled out for the game. Matt Moore replaced the injured 2018 MVP.
Yeah they had to "reset" his knee and after a 2 minute MRI he was ruled OUT. Hate to armchair it but from what I saw/heard he's done for awhile.

Dr. Jene weighs in: 

https://twitter.com/JeneBramel/status/1185003465371766784

"Yes, kneecap dislocation for Mahomes. No report on XR findings yet. And MRI likely to come. Bracing possible, surgery possible, depending on imaging findings. Not a large number of comps for players returning from kneecap dislocations. Matthew Stafford missed 4 weeks in 2009."

Dr. Jene weighs in: 

https://twitter.com/JeneBramel/status/1185003465371766784

"Yes, kneecap dislocation for Mahomes. No report on XR findings yet. And MRI likely to come. Bracing possible, surgery possible, depending on imaging findings. Not a large number of comps for players returning from kneecap dislocations. Matthew Stafford missed 4 weeks in 2009."
Similar mechanism of injury can result in acl tear as well, hense the mri. for everyone's sake hope hes ok

So the gimpy left ankle caused his knee injury in the other leg?

Wow, dude was a ticking time bomb. Guess we're lucky to have him on this Earth for this long.
Is it POSSIBLE not being able to push off on one foot properly could lead to an issue on the other leg? 

The injury has nothing to do with the ankle. Flukey injury, guys need to watch the replay. 
Im watching a guy trying to drive with his legs on a bad wheel and looking awkward. Of course the ankle influenced it, if you cant plant your foot with confidence your entire gait changes. 

When he tore his ACL?  Not really.  He was running full speed diving head first for the endzone 15 yards downfield from the LoS.
I probably should’ve googled it before typing that. I remembered it as more of a sneak but you guys were right it was a scramble

"The medial patellofemoral ligament is typically torn or stretched here. The best the Chiefs can hope for is a return in a few weeks with a brace. This is something that typically needs surgery but sometimes one can put that off to the offseason. Let's hope his season isn't over. Knowing how he has soldiered on thru the ankle issues, my guess is that he will try but not tonight."

@ProFootballDoc

The injury has nothing to do with the ankle. Flukey injury, guys need to watch the replay.

He's fair game on QB sneaks.
Why would you expose him there when you don't have to?  Its not even debatable.  You have a 3-4 talented backs, the best TE in the game and a multiple of receiving options.  What is the earthly point of sneaking him?   

Why would you expose him there when you don't have to?  Its not even debatable.  You have a 3-4 talented backs, the best TE in the game and a multiple of receiving options.  What is the earthly point of sneaking him?   
Why expose ANY QB there? It's a surprise sneak play to catch the D off guard and get short yardage. You've have to argue against the use of the play at all in any scenario then by that argument. He's not the first nicked up QB to do a sneak and he won't be the last.

EDIT: To sum it up, Mahomes is not made of eggshells.

Why expose ANY QB there? It's a surprise sneak play to catch the D off guard and get short yardage. You've have to argue against the use of the play at all in any scenario then by that argument. He's not the first nicked up QB to do a sneak and he won't be the last.
BECAUSE HE'S ALREADY HURT AND HE'S YOUR ENTIRE OFFENSE

I'm not arguing against the existence of QB sneaks, I'm talking about this player and circumstance.   This was a 2nd quarter play with a TD lead, it wasn't like they were stymied all day.  They can and do score a million ways.  Did they really think tonight was going to be so low scoring it was the right call?

Understand that the contact he had on that sneak would still be lighter than the hits he takes from defensive players. Do we not play him at QB at all?

Again, fluke injury that had nothing to do with his ankle (unless you saw it give out, no verification). If the ankle was SO BAD he couldn't take another hit, he should have sat 2-3 weeks and let it heal. Watch the play.

Users who are viewing this thread