What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

All signs point toward Patrick Mahomes going on a Tom Brady-like run with the Chiefs

The mega-contract that Patrick Mahomes will command could be the only thing that could potentially prevent him from having a Brady-like run. 

Tom Brady gave the Patriots a hometown discount for many years and this allowed them to spend more in other places on building their roster.
Mahomes needs to marry Kendall Jenner, the new highest paid supermodel in the world and also setup a shell company called PM15 that the Chiefs can funnel money to so he can take hometown discounts and build the next dynasty.

Finally own this man in one of my leagues. Gave up Julio, Deebo, Winston, and Haskins for Mahomes and 2.3 pick (12 team PPR dynasty) At first I thought I gave up a lot but having him as my starting QB the next decade (along with Hill, Hardman and Kelce) could pay huge dividends. 

Finally own this man in one of my leagues. Gave up Julio, Deebo, Winston, and Haskins for Mahomes and 2.3 pick (12 team PPR dynasty) At first I thought I gave up a lot but having him as my starting QB the next decade (along with Hill, Hardman and Kelce) could pay huge dividends. 
I think you stole him....the 2.3 is gravy.....it really only came down to Mahomes for Julio/Deebo.....

Chiefs coach Andy Reid expects Patrick Mahomes to avoid surgery on his kneecap.

"Right now he looks good," Reid said. Even with the understanding that he would play through the injury, post-season surgery was always considered a possibility after Mahomes went down in Week 8. It's still possible the Chiefs decide between now and camp that it is in Mahomes' best long-term interest to go under the knife.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 1:18 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Patrick Mahomes "isn’t going to do a deal early just because the Chiefs want to."

Kansas City obviously wants to extend Mahomes for the long-term, but there are non-football factors playing into the exact timing of that extension. The Super Bowl MVP is reportedly waiting for the new CBA to be implemented and could be waiting until after the NFL signs their new television deals, too. Mahomes will be the highest-paid player in league's history regardless of when a deal is reached, but it sounds like he's going to be strategically patient with the salary cap expected to climb.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Mar 10, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

Chiefs exercised QB Patrick Mahomes' fifth-year option.

Mahomes is now under contract through 2021. It remains to be seen when the NFL's best player will sign his inevitable ground-breaking deal and become the league's highest-paid QB. Mahomes is an ill-timed offsides penalty away from potentially being a back-to-back Super Bowl champion. Mahomes' off-script magic, combined with coach Andy Reid's always-excellent scheme, figures to continue to give defenses fits for many years to come.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 30, 2020, 11:22 AM ET

Chiefs signed QB Patrick Mahomes to a 10-year extension through 2031.

Ten-year contracts are literally unheard of in the NFL, but if anybody is worth one, it's certainly last year's Super Bowl MVP. Turning 25 in September, Mahomes won the regular-season MVP award in 2018, leading the league with 50 touchdown passes. He took a step back from a statistical perspective last year, but Mahomes put the team on his back when it mattered most in the playoffs, leading multiple postseason comebacks en route to the Chiefs' first Super Bowl title since 1969. Mahomes is on the fast track of becoming the best quarterback in history. The Chiefs had just one player signed through 2024 -- K Harrison Butker -- and Mahomes is inked seven years past that. He's tied to Kansas City
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1280213581628411905

Mahomes may regret this in a few years, if QB salaries increase significantly.  ...unless he negotiated his salary to be a certain percentage of the cap each year. 🤷‍♂️

Whoa. Gonna be interesting to see what the numbers look like. Are the numbers so crazy that Mahomes was good signing for that long, or did he take a bit of a discount for a long term deal that other younger QBs aren’t going to be thrilled with?

Man, the Bills trading that pick is always going to hurt if you’re a Bills fan...

Have no idea on the source but saw on Twitter

200 million gtd

Player opt out clause after year 6

Might be some big performance bonuses 

If he took a 6 year 33 million per year deal the Chiefs got off easy. 

Schefter just tweeted out that reports are it will be tied to a percentage of the salary cap for a lot of the years. I think that may be a first. Not sure how you even account for that when doing the rest of your deals going forward. Makes sense for both sides probably though.

It will be interesting how the Chiefs fare with a QB on a top of the market deal vs. a rookie deal. They also need to extend some other guys. In the salary cap era, teams that have paid top of the market for a QB have been less successful then when the QB was on a rookie deal.

It will be interesting how the Chiefs fare with a QB on a top of the market deal vs. a rookie deal. They also need to extend some other guys. In the salary cap era, teams that have paid top of the market for a QB have been less successful then when the QB was on a rookie deal.
Drafting well becomes even more important

I foresee % of cap contracts becoming the norm eventually. Less risk of players suddenly becoming unhappy with deal terms midway through. And adds a measure of accountability to the rest of the team for any star player, as it is much more clearly defined what % of team value they are individually extracting. You are an X% player, huh. Okay, let's see you provide that value to us, especially in cases where cap flexibility is built in for the team, should a player not produce that value.

Just seems simpler all around for everyone involved.

Mahomes’s new deal would take him through 2031. Ezekiel Elliot currently holds the longest contract in the NFL and his deal only takes him through 2026. Pretty incredible.

Whoa. Gonna be interesting to see what the numbers look like. Are the numbers so crazy that Mahomes was good signing for that long, or did he take a bit of a discount for a long term deal that other younger QBs aren’t going to be thrilled with?

Man, the Bills trading that pick is always going to hurt if you’re a Bills fan...
Picking a safety with their pick is always going to haunt Jets fans, Jamal Adams or not Jamal Adams.

Mahomes in 2 years has literally not lost a game by more than 7 points

In 2 games with no Mahomes we went 1-1 against 2 teams that won playoff games

One offsides penalty away from a repeat

Texans got spotted 24 points and still got blown out

Bring it on and watch us repeat

Probably not.

I like Mahomes and the Chiefs made as good a bet as any team could make if they were committed to making one in the first place.

Cold hard reality - The front office structure who signed Mahomes to this deal will 99.999999999 percent not be there to see the end of the deal. Or even close to the end of the deal. Very long sports contracts are usually a function of a trade off ( i.e. I'm buying the first 4-5 years of that long term deal, knowing the last 2-3-4 years will be ugly, but who cares since I won't be here anyway)

Look across modern sports history, how many 8-10 year type deals have worked out for those teams?

Father Time is undefeated. And that's the core issue here. Mahomes is now in a constant fight with Father Time for the Chiefs to realize full value in this deal.
He is 24 years old, and QB shelf lives are longer than ever before with how protected they are

Three years ago Derek Carr set the market at 25 million per year. And here we are at 45 million. If you want to take the bet that we don't easily cross 45 million in the next 5 years be my guest. The pandemic will be a short term issue for the cap (one year--two years max) until the new TV deal comes in at the end of 2022 and the cap--and with it QB salaries--spike like they did for the NBA's TV deal

He is 24 years old, and QB shelf lives are longer than ever before with how protected they are

Three years ago Derek Carr set the market at 25 million per year. And here we are at 45 million. If you want to take the bet that we don't easily cross 45 million in the next 5 years be my guest. The pandemic will be a short term issue for the cap (one year--two years max) until the new TV deal comes in at the end of 2022 and the cap--and with it QB salaries--spike like they did for the NBA's TV deal
The more top QBs get paid, the more valuable the young bucks on rookie deals will become. Mahomes will be getting 10-15x what the next big thing will be getting. Sure, Mahomes is good, but not as good as a hot shot youngster and $40+ million spent on other players. 

Dam Prescott is smiling.
Why? Dak is not even in the same universe as Mahomes. If he thinks he deserves anything close to that, he is nuts. If he thinks he is worth that, he won’t get a long term deal from DAL. And eventually he’ll become a free agent and other teams won’t pay him that either. 

The more top QBs get paid, the more valuable the young bucks on rookie deals will become. Mahomes will be getting 10-15x what the next big thing will be getting. Sure, Mahomes is good, but not as good as a hot shot youngster and $40+ million spent on other players. 
Obviously a star QB on a rookie deal is better for roster building but that does not mean it is impossible to put a Super Bowl caliber team around a highly paid QB

In recent years it's tough to find Super Bowl winning teams with highly paid QBs but that is more so because of the Patriots hogging a lot of the SB wins.

There have been plenty of teams that were every bit good enough to win it all that had expensive QBs

You're also way overestimating the probability of the next big thing being close to as good as Mahomes is

Why? Dak is not even in the same universe as Mahomes. If he thinks he deserves anything close to that, he is nuts. If he thinks he is worth that, he won’t get a long term deal from DAL. And eventually he’ll become a free agent and other teams won’t pay him that either. 
Yeah but he's going to get 36 million plus now. That's why he's smiling. 

This is crazy, but I’d say it’s the market. The Kansas City Football Team May have gotten a steal. When we look back on this deal in 6-7 years, it’s more likely that it was fair or it was in the Kansas City Football Team’s favor. It’s unlikely it’s in Mahomes’ favor as he isn’t going to bust, but I suppose he could become injury prone like anyone else. I like the deal for both sides in the end. Mahomes is making a great move cashing out and not having a contract hanging over his head and the Kansas City Football team doesn’t have to worry about QB for a decade

Dak is still a top 8-12 QB. Nowhere near Mahomes but he will get his 35 million---whether from the Cowboys or from a team like the Colts, Saints, Steelers after their current QB retires or the Bears/Raiders if they decide their current QB isn't cutting it and prefer signing to drafting a mid 1st round prospect (assuming they don't get top picks)

Users who are viewing this thread