What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (2 Viewers)

Patrick Mahomes will undergo surgery to repair a torn plantar plate in his foot.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Mahomes "will almost certainly be off the field" for most of the offseason as he recovers from surgery on the turf toe surgery that hampered his mobility in the postseason. Mahomes, who suffered the injury in the Divisional Round against the Browns, was seen limping after almost every play during the Chiefs' blowout loss to Tampa in Super Bowl LV. Apparently not even two weeks of rest could do the trick for the superstar QB. He should be ready to roll for the start of the 2021 season. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 9, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

One would hope it's just trolling. The other options are hatred, or someone who watches an NFL game, but doesn't understand what they're watching. Another option are post-game stat summary readers.
Tanner9919 plays it straight. It's not trolling. It's woefully wrong, but it's not trolling.

Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said Patrick Mahomes will be “good to go” for training camp after undergoing toe surgery. 

Mahomes has a three-month recovery period, putting him on track for a fairly normal offseason. He had surgery on his injured toe after KC was blown out by the Bucs in the Super Bowl -- a game that saw Mahomes limp around, clearly hobbled by the injury suffered in the Chiefs' playoff win over Cleveland. Barring a setback, Mahomes should be the first QB off the draft board in 2021 fantasy leagues. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 1, 2021, 10:40 AM ET

Coming off an injury and now without both starting Tackles. I don't own any shares of Patty but I was just wondering how everyone else feels about his situation heading into next season? Seems troublesome to say the least. I'm not sure what their cap situation looks like. 

Coming off an injury and now without both starting Tackles. I don't own any shares of Patty but I was just wondering how everyone else feels about his situation heading into next season? Seems troublesome to say the least. I'm not sure what their cap situation looks like. 
He was missing his tackles and had said injury in the superbowl and still threw a ball while horizontal to the ground that thread multiple defenders to get right on his man's face mask in the endzone.  Of course, his wr dropped it, but he's the GOTM.

O-line and Watkins replacements are something to monitor as far as picking out the point in a redraft where I would consider taking the leap.   Continuity is nice, but no real concerns for dynasty.   I'm pretty sure the Chiefs won't forget to support their QB.    I think that the large cap hit at QB will eventually take more of a toll on their defense, which might not be so terrible for Mahomes fantasy outlook.

His cap hit stands at 13.16 %, so that's not the issue. The cap problem is due to Clark, Jones, and Mathieu taking up 35.77%. All from a very average D. They can't cut Clark and Jones due to dead money, but Mathieu can be, and save them 15 mil in the process.

farfromforgotten said:
Fisher tore his Achilles in the AFC title game, he wasn’t going to be playing in 2021 anyway. Mitchell Schwartz Is somewhat surprising but was in the last year of his deal coming off a season long back injury. Hopefully they can create some more space to maybe sign a FA or address some other need and draft a OT.

Mahomes just restructured which I expect to be a reoccurring theme over each of the next 10 years....his contract has that language built in already......kind of similar to how Brady always remained flexible.....think it freed up about 18 mil.......just can't see them releasing Mathieu.....this restructure covers that.....think they may be a couple mil over still....would be nice if Clark redid or took a pay cut...

Patrick Mahomes (toe surgery) said he was able to "do the things that I needed" at OTAs.

"I don’t see any problems moving forward," Mahomes said at the final practice of minicamp. "Obviously, I’ll have to continue with the rehab, continue to work on those things. But I feel like I had a good OTAs." Coach Andy Reid confirmed Mahomes was "full-go" during offseason workouts. Mahomes is only four months removed from surgery but continues to progress ahead of schedule. The Chiefs expect Mahomes to be 100 percent for the start of training camp.

SOURCE: chiefs.com

Jun 18, 2021, 8:02 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes (toe surgery) expects to be fully healthy for training camp.

“Feeling great. I've been cutting, doing it all. Excited to get back.” Mahomes shed his walking boot at OTAs and has been setback-free since minicamp. The three-time Pro Bowler remains on track for the start of Chiefs camp next month.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jul 9, 2021, 8:09 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes completed 27-of-36 passes for 337 yards and three touchdowns and scrambled five times for 18 yards and one score in Kansas City's 33-29 Week 1 comeback over the Browns.

Kansas City was out-gained 318 yards to 183 in the first half, facing a 22-10 deficit out of the intermission, but responded with an 11-yard strike to Travis Kelce (6/76/2) in the third quarter and eventually, a 75-yard bomb to Tyreek Hill (11/197/1) to fall within two points. Kelce's second touchdown on the afternoon, an eight-yard catch underneath with 1:32 left to play, ultimately sealed the deal for Kansas City before CB Mike Hughes picked off Baker Mayfield on the final drive. Even at their best, Cleveland's defense wasn't enough to stop Mahomes from compiling QB1 numbers — a trend that should continue into Week 2 against Baltimore's defensive unit.

Patrick Mahomes completed 24-of-31 passes for 343 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in Kansas City's Week 2 loss to the Ravens.

Mahomes collapsed late in the fourth quarter, throwing a costly interception trying to avoid a sack that gave the Ravens the lead. He rebounded on the next drive, but a Clyde Edwards-Helaire fumble allowed the Ravens to seal the win. With the Ravens taking away Tyreek Hill, Mahomes completed a pass to nine different receivers. Mahomes has played at an MVP level through the first two games, throwing for 680 yards with a 6:1 TD/INT ratio. He'll faceoff with Justin Herbert in another potential shootout with the Chargers in Week 3.

Sep 19, 2021, 11:39 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes completed 27-of-44 passes for 260 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the Chiefs' 30-24, Week 3 loss to the Chargers, adding four carries for 45 additional yards. 

It was a genuinely shaky outing after Mahomes tossed a bad fourth quarter pick in Week 2. Mahomes' first INT this afternoon was not his fault, as it glanced off Marcus Kemp's wide-open hands. The second was a different story, as Mahomes was flushed from the pocket on 3rd-and-8 with 1:55 remaining and back-footed an awful attempt to Travis Kelce down the field. The Chargers then drove for what proved to be the game-winning touchdown. That throw, of course, was just one of many miscues on an afternoon where the Chiefs also lost two fumbles. To say Mahomes was the issue would not even be close to accurate. The Chiefs are not doing much of anything well right now but have a get-right Week 4 matchup in the Eagles even if Philly's front is likely to create blocking issues for Mahomes.

Patrick Mahomes completed 24-of-30 passes for 278 yards with five touchdowns and an interception, and rushed 5 times for 26 yards in Kansas City's Week 4 win over the Eagles.

Mahomes threw three of his touchdowns to Tyreek Hill, including a 44-yarder against broken coverage. Over half of his yards and 11 of his 24 completions went to Hill, with Travis Kelce the only other pass catcher to finish with more than two receptions. Mahomes had a shaky Week 3, throwing a pair of interceptions in a loss to the Chargers, but the three-time Pro Bowler got back on track this week. Mahomes is averaging 305 yards per game with a 14:4 TD/INT ratio through the first month of the season.

Patrick Mahomes completed 32-of-47 passes for 397 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Chiefs' Week 6 win against Washington. 

Mahomes' final stat line is deceiving, as he and the Kansas City offense struggled mightily in the first half against a Football Team defense that's offered little resistance this season. After throwing two first half picks -- neither of them his fault -- Mahomes turned it up in the second half, methodically picking apart Washington's marshmallow soft secondary even as Tyreek Hill (quad) and Travis Kelce (arm) came in and out of the KC lineup. Mahomes and the KC offense continue to flounder but for fantasy purposes, the Big Three are as reliable as ever. Mahomes gets another burnable secondary next week when the Chiefs take on the Titans. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Patrick Mahomes completed 20-of-35 passes for 206 scoreless yards and one interception in the Chiefs' Week 7 loss to the Titans before exiting in the fourth quarter after taking a big hit.

After Mahomes appeared to hit the reset button on his turnover-prone season in the second half last week at Washington, this was about as bad of a game we've seen him play as a pro. Mahomes rushed six times for a team-high 35 yards on the ground, but also lost a fumble at the end of his long run of 13 yards. He took four sacks on the day, and the last one in the middle of the fourth quarter ended his day when he took a knee to the chin and had his neck snapped back in painful fashion. Mahomes had to be carried off the field and was examined in the medical tent before taking a seat on the bench the rest of the day with the Chiefs trailing 27-3. Mahomes' nine interceptions this season are tied with rookie Zach Wilson for the most in the league. Mahomes gets a tasty Week 8 draw with the Giants, but that's assuming Mahomes is healthy.

Oct 24, 2021, 3:58 PM ET

This is the only day he could have saved my fantasy team with a win, and this was the disaster that happened. He's bailed me out every week, though, so that's not a complaint. Notice how few times this thread gets bumped. He's rock steady. 

Get better, Patrick! 

He line really does suck at giving him time...its a shame because when he has time to throw...he's second to no one. 

Just MHO: There's a situation brewing in KC. I think Mahomes has acquired that disease that comes from reading too many of your own press clippings. I'm not sure Reid knows how to handle him. I think there's a reason why Bienemy has been mentioned for a top college job, that's more than just lazy, spitballing journalism. Something's broken. He's a special QB, I get it, and you want your QB to have an alpha mentality, certainly...but it has to be tempered with football sense. Might be a maturity issue; he's still very young. Not a big fan of how he's playing football right now. IMHO.

His fundamental football was Cheetah left, Cheetah right, Cheetah go!! 

teams have taken the Cheetah away, KC has no others that can step up.

Chiefs are 3-5 last 8 games dating back to the SB drubbing.CLEARLY there's something wrong and it's not that CEH is missing, he sucked before he got hurt.This ship is listing badly, it's about to sink the season is about over for them. Mahomes has three multiple INT games this season. 9 int on the year, with just 18 TDs. 2:1 TD:INT ratio , thats pretty bad for a supposed hall of fame, 'generational' QB. he looks pretty ordinary to me. Now he's caught up in his schtick of jump passes, no look passes ( for no reason , it's not the NBA).He's doing silly things like OBJ and his one-handed catches - too busy trying to make highlight reels and not busy enough with the the Xs and Os. If Mahomes isn't throwing INTs, he's hitting WR's feet, or hitting the ground 5 yards in front of them, or overthrowing them badly. ya know , even Mark Rypien had a cup of coffee as the NFLs best QB. Rich Gannon too. Jeff Hostetler , Doug Williams..Mahomes is next to fall into those ranks? I believe so. 

Chiefs offense looks amazingly similar to Reids offense in his last season in Philly..lost, deflated, lethargic. 

Well...

Lots of sentiments on both ends of the spectrum.

As far as QB fantasy football stock goes, therein becomes the question or dilemma moving forward. I'm sure many who drafted him so high will just stick it out. My question is would I go after him in  a trade to an impatient owner, or just shy away and watch him and KC. I guess it depends upon ones team and other players. I own T Hill in one league and T Kelce in another, and D Williams in yet another (sat him at 12:55 for D Harris - whew). I'm rooting for players on our teams. 

I own J Allen in two leagues so I am not one bit interested in Mahomes. In my third league I own J Hurts who seems to pull Houdini acts to score points. Yes, he can rush for 50-60 and get you that extra 5-6 and frequent rushing TD's since no one else is scoring rushing TD's. He scares me too. Starts slow and finishes strong. Start slow and finish slow would get us Hurts owners a big L.

Would I try and deal Hurts for Mahomes in some fashion? That's why I am inquiring and listening to all of your comments when taking stock of the situation. He's wounded and vulnerable. Has his head got the best of him for being such a star? Idk. Would I go after him? I say yes I would, but I do have a little concern watching the last few outings. Only time to get a deal for Mahomes is probably this week. What the hecks going on in KC!?!?

Edit: credit TEN D - this team may make a run to the SuperBowl

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why anyone would trade Mahomes for Hurts. I still see Mahomes as a generational talent who happens to be in a slump. I am more concerned with Reid's capability of getting creative and get some confidence back in the Chiefs. Don't forget they also have Kelce but they could use some real talent at WR outside of Hill.

To me it seems like the recipe in beating the Chiefs is out and Reid needs to respond.

Otherwise I agree that now is the time to buy low on Mahomes, I can't imagine his value being lower than this.

Bucs showed the NFL the blueprint. If KC and Mahomes continue to refuse to play a short/intermediate game and check the ball down they’ll continue to struggle. 

Mahomes’ turnover luck also wasn’t sustainable and his style has caught up with him. 

Bucs showed the NFL the blueprint. If KC and Mahomes continue to refuse to play a short/intermediate game and check the ball down they’ll continue to struggle. 
Reminds me of Goff after the Patriots Super Bowl, never was the same after the whole world saw that game. PM has more talent than Goff, let's hope he and his coaches can get past this somehow. 

I have mentioned it in some game threads, but Mahomes has always had a lot of Brett Favre in him, which he got away with until recently. Now, his "I am so good I can do just do anything I want" plays are sometimes turning into turnovers.  I think he has definitely read his press clippings.  Between calling him the possible future GOAT (ridiculous to even think of discussing that now) and calling him undoubtedly the best QB in the league right now (he's up there, but the best without question? NO.), it feels like it has gone to his head a bit.  

Mahomes’ turnover luck also wasn’t sustainable and his style has caught up with him. 
There is a certain amount of truth to this post, but a lot of overreactions in this thread.  IMO they need a more balanced attack and could use a real WR#2.  Plus their defense isn't that good at all.

JohnnyU said:
There is a certain amount of truth to this post, but a lot of overreactions in this thread.  IMO they need a more balanced attack and could use a real WR#2.  Plus their defense isn't that good at all.
Their defense has been poor. Yes. But, Reid doesn’t exactly help them out by handing it off. Teams dare them to run or check it down now. Exactly how Tampa did in the SB. The Chiefs refuse to do it. Mahomes’ hero ball isn’t working anymore. All his turnovers are outside the pocket. They (he) need to play with some structure/discipline. 

He needs a reliable running game and short passing game in order to set up his long throws off play action or whenever he decides to flip it. But he needs reliable hands in the 5-10-15 yd part of the field.  He need a Julian Edleman/Wes Welker type slot guy that can do the dirty work but then again he has an All World TE in Kelce that you would think does a lot of this but maybe they need to run 2 TEs and give him another reliable set of hands. A dynamic RB behind him would also help the offense. 

The man needs some help

I watch all the KC games, and there's a lot of validity to the comments regarding Mahomes' maturity as a QB and need for an effective running game.

I really believe if JJSS had signed with KC, the answer would be at hand, or we wouldn't be debating this at all. Completely agree that the Chiefs seem to have believed they were already paper champions, and history hasn't been kind to SB-losing teams during their following season. You keep what you kill in the NFL.

He needs a reliable running game and short passing game in order to set up his long throws off play action or whenever he decides to flip it. But he needs reliable hands in the 5-10-15 yd part of the field.  He need a Julian Edleman/Wes Welker type slot guy that can do the dirty work but then again he has an All World TE in Kelce that you would think does a lot of this but maybe they need to run 2 TEs and give him another reliable set of hands. A dynamic RB behind him would also help the offense. 

The man needs some help
That slot guy underneath would do him wonders, and I agree fully with the rest as well, especially the last sentence.

That slot guy underneath would do him wonders, and I agree fully with the rest as well, especially the last sentence.
I know he was never really fantasy relevant in KC but I wonder if they are struggling to replace Watkins. They need a reliable WR2 that can get open in the short/mid passing game. Hardman has been better recently but he's the same kind of player as Hill. I think Mahomes has been playing hero ball and making some terrible decisions. His int while being sacked against WFT was maybe the worst int of his career. He's trying to do to much. 

sneakerfreak said:
I don't see why anyone would trade Mahomes for Hurts. I still see Mahomes as a generational talent who happens to be in a slump. I am more concerned with Reid's capability of getting creative and get some confidence back in the Chiefs. Don't forget they also have Kelce but they could use some real talent at WR outside of Hill.

To me it seems like the recipe in beating the Chiefs is out and Reid needs to respond.

Otherwise I agree that now is the time to buy low on Mahomes, I can't imagine his value being lower than this.
LOL, Hurts is nothing more than a 4th quarter fantasy football hero, which never lasts for too long.

Reid has not adjusted, and teams are taking away Hill. I think the Chargers started the blueprint, and the Bucs perfected it in the SB. Mahomes needs to adjust as well, and I'm sure he will. I do realize there are many who await his demise for whatever reason.

sneakerfreak said:

Maybe Hurts and Claypool for Mahomes. Funny thing is, the owner of Mahomes also has Lamar Jackson. Silly to waste a roster like that when the rest of the team is crap-o-la. Needs help everywhere but TE. BAL on a bye, but I like Lamar better right now > Mahomes.

at some point the fans of teams suffering from QB envy would be able to come in here and get their turn to take shots at this kid....it was going to happen at some point....people can't wait to see the bully get his....

an offsides call/coin flip away from being in the last 3 super bowls in his first 3 years as a starter...thats not too shabby....(probably would have smoked the Rams btw).....I think they are going to be ok ...they lost to four really good teams (TBH we all thought the BAL game was going to end differently).....lot of games left, a solid core and coaching.....

however....they do need to do something before the trade deadline to shore up the defense....they did a pretty good job to be honest in shutting down Henry....they need to upgrade at CB....can't get off the field on third down...they just can't....defense is a huge issue....but kind of always has been and can get better...

turnovers.....not as concerned as most....this can be fixed....to me, the biggest issue is getting the offensive line turned around.....if teams can get home only rushing four and allowing the defense to play cover two and blanket the receivers, its going to be tough....I think the line will suck it up and start playing better....more play action and for god's sake, more screens please to give the pass rush something to think about....Mahomes really hasn't had a clean pocket at all this year....fantasy wise, he is still an elite option, and by the end of the season, I doubt many teams will really want to see them in the playoffs...

at some point the fans of teams suffering from QB envy would be able to come in here and get their turn to take shots at this kid....it was going to happen at some point....people can't wait to see the bully get his....

an offsides call/coin flip away from being in the last 3 super bowls in his first 3 years as a starter...thats not too shabby....(probably would have smoked the Rams btw).....I think they are going to be ok ...they lost to four really good teams (TBH we all thought the BAL game was going to end differently).....lot of games left, a solid core and coaching.....

however....they do need to do something before the trade deadline to shore up the defense....they did a pretty good job to be honest in shutting down Henry....they need to upgrade at CB....can't get off the field on third down...they just can't....defense is a huge issue....but kind of always has been and can get better...

turnovers.....not as concerned as most....this can be fixed....to me, the biggest issue is getting the offensive line turned around.....if teams can get home only rushing four and allowing the defense to play cover two and blanket the receivers, its going to be tough....I think the line will suck it up and start playing better....more play action and for god's sake, more screens please to give the pass rush something to think about....Mahomes really hasn't had a clean pocket at all this year....fantasy wise, he is still an elite option, and by the end of the season, I doubt many teams will really want to see them in the playoffs...

The NFL holds no guarantees.  After the Chiefs won the Superbowl I thought they would win 4-5 in a row. Mahomes will always be good but when a QB signs a mega-deal it automatically weakens the depth of a team.  Then they will need to extend Hill soon to a huge deal or let him walk.

The Chiefs may have to eventually go the NE route and get disgruntled vets to come in at lower price tags to revive their careers.

I have to admit I find this prevailing theory that he needs more/better receiving options to be a biot comical.

He has one of the best short/intermediate receiving option in the NFL in Kelce.  And he has the best deep receiving option in Hill, probably one of the best of all-time.  And a top 3 offensive coach behind all that.

Yes a running game would help but plenty of elite QBs have gone through long stretches without a running game.  The whole team just needs to settle in and take what the defense is giving them.  I think they will be fine.  The line play definitely needs to improve. 

From a fantasy standpoint his 16 game pace is 4800 passing yards and 41 TDs.  His magical all-world breakout MVP year was 5000 yards and 50 TDs.  Yes he's throwing more INTs but in fantasy that isn't any kind of backbreaker, and he wasn't exactly a low turnover guy in his MVP year either.

He's still everyone's standout dynasty QB1, right?  I own Kyler basically everywhere and I wonder if I couldn't move him straight up in some of these leagues.

I have to admit I find this prevailing theory that he needs more/better receiving options to be a biot comical.

The whole team just needs to settle in and take what the defense is giving them.
Yeah I agree. I have been thinking that they are forcing things too much. Not just Mahomes but Andy Reid as well. Ever since and including the SB, Mahomes has been playing hero ball and Reid can't get away from all deep stuff. I've seen so many plays where they have no underneath options anywhere but there is nothing but grass. When "your identity" is being taken away you must counter. It is a fundamental truth to competition of any kind. Every champion wants to enforce their will but taking what the defense gives you is maybe the most fool proof strategy ever and must be done when they are taking away your strengths. 

Users who are viewing this thread