What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

Saw an update that they say,  “early signs show good news. Early signs show dislocated knee, but not fractured. Of course mri will show more tomorrow, but if early signs are true that’s good news.”

Anyone can get into a car accident at any time, it happens, that's life.  

But if you go out for a drive in a snow storm you're raising your chances.

Thats how I see putting a dinged up  guy in a pile.  It was a choice that didn't have to be made and I guarantee you he would take it back in a  second.  They're moving the ball, this was a totally unnecessary call.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that really matters is whether he tore a ligament or not and we won’t know that until they MRI it.

Seems sort of a bad sign though that the GM reportedly just came out and waved for Mahomes’s girlfriend and agent to come into the locker room. 

Bought Mahomes before he was ever a starter in two superflex leagues.  In both leagues I also own Saquon, and Guice. One also has Brees out, the other has Watkins, Tyrell, Njoku out. 

Patrick Mahomes has been diagnosed with a dislocated right kneecap.

NFL.com's James Palmer reports that Mahomes has avoided a fracture, but that further testing is required to determine if there's any ligament damage. A short absence is in play, but the same remains true for a lengthy one. Mahomes should undergo an MRI on Friday, and we figure to know the results within the next 18 hours.
No fracture, for now that's great.

When the patella dislocates laterally, the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) is the most commonly torn ligament. There will be several options for #PatrickMahomes to choose from, surgery could be one. Non-surgical options could mean multiple weeks of rehab and a large brace.

Surgery would only be necessary for a complete tear. Even then, Mahomes may opt to push the surgery to the offseason. Unfortunately a reconstruction of this smaller ligament would likely end his season if they choose to go that route.

With the patella dislocation confirmed, the player and team have a big decision to make. Typically the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) is torn and is best repaired with surgery. Yes, one can try to rehab and play through the season after about a month but will it be worth it? Matthew Stafford suffered this injury in 2009 and finished season after three weeks but later had surgery.But this injury will affect both quarterbacks differently. Mahomes would likely have to modify his game. There is a high risk of re-dislocation or subluxation (shifting). The biggest fear is if he knocks off some articular cartilage with the next re-injury and that could affect his long term career. My best guess is that the Chiefs will think hard on the decision to take the safer route and have surgery now to protect their star long term. Surgery means a minimum six to nine month recovery. Let's hope the best decision is made for Mahomes.

I'll be happy if he returns week 13 after his bye.  I can stream quarterbacks for 5 weeks.  I really don't want to have to trade for a quarterback.  Fantasy owners ask a lot in return to trade you their backup quarterback.  But if you try to trade your backup people won't give you anything.

I'll be happy if he returns week 13 after his bye.  I can stream quarterbacks for 5 weeks.  I really don't want to have to trade for a quarterback.  Fantasy owners ask a lot in return to trade you their backup quarterback.  But if you try to trade your backup people won't give you anything.
On the cheap... Donny Dimes getting all his weapons back.  While he does have a bye (11) and the Bears (12) on the remaining schedule, he doesnt have a single team with a top-10 "Passing point allowed" which includes the Bears.  And those final games from 14-18 are gorgeous (Eagles, Dolphins, Redskins, Eagles) in case Pat is slow or hindered.

On the cheap... Donny Dimes getting all his weapons back.  While he does have a bye (11) and the Bears (12) on the remaining schedule, he doesnt have a single team with a top-10 "Passing point allowed" which includes the Bears.  And those final games from 14-18 are gorgeous (Eagles, Dolphins, Redskins, Eagles) in case Pat is slow or hindered.
Pair him with Darnold who has a money schedule weeks 9-14. Hell I might even add Teddy B for Zona week 8. Then roll with Sam. Add Jones after his bye.

Assuming everything you quoted is true, Mahomes would be smart to be cautious.  The Chiefs aren't winning anything this year with that trash defense, so rushing back and risking your long term health for this team would be very unwise.  Mahomes is a stud and should have a long, great career ahead.  

Reports I’ve seen so far - one person reportedly with connections said that no one in the locker room looked hang-dog - And Mahomes walked off the field ok without a limp & without assistance.

he may have dodged a huge bullet here. I can say from experience that when something’s dislocated (shoulder for me), it’s incredibly painful, but when it pops back in, it feels fine. 

We’ll all be holding our breath waiting for the MRI. If no ligament damage he could be back next week with a brace or compression sleeve 

keeping my fingers crossed. 

The Chiefs aren't winning anything this year with that trash defense, so rushing back and risking your long term health for this team would be very unwise. 
The defense played fantastic football tonight. They shut down the run & had 9 or 10 sacks. 

Possible to post your full league rules / bylaws? 
I'm simply pointing out that you can have a horrible season if you get crushed by injuries.  Right when Saquon comes back people are losing Mahomes...well...at least dynasty owners that owned the studs are.  We can review my rosters if you want to... binging530 on twitter we can deep dive on the subject.  Thankfully I own 3-4 2020 1st across multiple leagues against podcast host.  Maybe you can create an injury predictor app to help me out???

I'm simply pointing out that you can have a horrible season if you get crushed by injuries.  Right when Saquon comes back people are losing Mahomes...well...at least dynasty owners that owned the studs are.  
Let me break out the  :violin: for Saquon/Mahomes dynasty owners. 

Pretty much every ACL tear, the guy walks off the field without a limp & without assistance. I actually prefer to see a guy in a bit of pain in similar situations, more likely to be a bruise than an ACL.
Possible. Right now anything is possible.

waiting for the MRI. 

Patrick Mahomes will need surgery on knee, sooner or later

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes dislocates knee, could play through at significant risk

By PROFOOTBALLDOC

OCT. 17, 2019

9:04 PM

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes’ night ended with a patella dislocation after a quarterback sneak Thursday against the Broncos.

By video, it was clear his kneecap was dislocated (out of place) to the lateral (outside) of his knee.

...The injury is a tear of the medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL). Most times for professional athletes, this requires surgery, as the kneecap becomes unstable.It is possible to try to rehab and return this season with a brace and delay surgery until the offseason, but that is not a plan that comes with guarantees.

It is possible to return in three to four weeks after swelling subsides and strength returns. But even with a brace, the risk of re-dislocation is high, and the risk of subluxaton (slipping transiently out of groove) is even higher.

Trent Williams tried to play through this injury and couldn’t. Matt Stafford had a similar injury in 2009 and returned in three weeks. He did have surgery in the offseason. But Stafford is more of a pocket QB. Mahomes would have to alter his game to improve his chances to finish the season without surgery.

Fortunately, the other ligaments are fine.

If Mahomes opts for surgery, the recovery timeline is 6-9 months. He should make a full recovery, assuming he did not suffer any significant articular cartilage damage.

I picked up Bridgewater (vs Cardinals) to cover week 8 and I picked up Trubisky (@ Eagles) to cover week 9.  Baby steps.

He’s not gonna take any big risks.  He hasn’t signed a monster contract yet.

he’s 99% gonna get the surgery and be out for season.  

no way he takes a huge risk before his future money is locked up.
What surgery? We don’t know he needs surgery. The MRI is tomorrow. 

cart ~> horse. 

and I picked up Trubisky (@ Eagles) to cover week 9.  Baby steps.
:unsure:

I mean, if you’re saying literal baby steps, where the baby teeters, falls on his face & needs lots of coddling afterwards, then sure - Trubisky is a fantastic addition to a fantasy team. 
:lol:  

The dream is over.  Mahomes done for 2019.  Keep believing but the writing on the wall.  He’s still on his rookie contract.
It's probably 50/50 right now whether he returns this season.  But I think you're right that his not having a mega contract will mean he won't take any chances.  He gets paid in a matter of months.

What surgery? We don’t know he needs surgery. The MRI is tomorrow. 

cart ~> horse. 

Actual doctors have said he could probably put off surgery and return with knee brace risking further injury.

or he can get surgery and be out for season.

what would you do if you were mahomes ready to sign record breaking contract.

Actual doctors have said he could probably put off surgery and return with knee brace risking further injury.

Actual doctors have said that they need to see an mri before they know what's up.

For what it is worth, dislocated my knee cap multiple times.  Watching them get the kneecap back in brought back memories.  Ouch.  Looks worse than it is.  Did not tear any ligaments on any of my dislocations.  Surgery the second time I did it as I messed  up my cartridge.  Other times, four weeks and back at it.  The last time I did it, doc said there was a surgery to better stabilize my knee cap, 6-9 months recovery.  Instead, I did the normal four week rest and quit playing basketball.  So the best case three weeks is definitely in the cards.

Those doctors haven’t seen the MRI either. Because the MRI isn’t until tomorrow.

and they won’t know if there’s ligament damage requiring surgery until they’ve seen the MRI.

so those doctors are saying “IF there’s ligament damage, then he has that choice”

saying he has that choice without seeing an MRI would be medically irresponsible. 

if there’s no ligament damage, that decision becomes moot. No doctor worth their degree would suggest surgery without knowing if it’s required or not. 

so it’s silly to speculate until the MRI results are in.

I have him on my corporate team, which will be totally toast if he's out - especially since I paired him with Hill! Big bummer.

No idea about his injury, but I think he has had a problem the last few games.  Which I think is also why the offense has been stagnant... totally built around his deep ball and athleticism to make plays obviously.

This offense is a fire sale if Mahomes has a real problem.

No idea about his injury, but I think he has had a problem the last few games.  Which I think is also why the offense has been stagnant... totally built around his deep ball and athleticism to make plays obviously.
yes. He had a significant ankle sprain. It effected his mobility. He came into this game heavily taped. 

This offense is a fire sale if Mahomes has a real problem.
Moore looked pretty solid. The 57 yard TD. to hill was a perfect throw.  :shrug:

Didn't see the game, maybe I can add Moore since it's a superflex.

But given that the KC offense is pretty much built around an MVP QB... yeah we have a big problem for anyone on that offense.  I love Darrel Williams... Mecole Hardman, etc.  Unfortunately I think they are no longer rosterable (assuming the worst for Pat) and I think expectations for Hill and Kelce and McCoy need be considerably reduced.

And D Will?  LOL hope you didn't draft him 😉

I don't much faith in Danny Dimebag.  I could forgive him for doing poorly against the Vikings and Patriots.  But he also did poorly against the Redskins.  So he has had 1 good game which was against the Buccaneers.  That doesn't mean much.  He does have a nice fantasy playoff schedule but that is a long ways away.  And he has a nice matchup this Sunday against the Cardinals.

How about Belichick because he ran three QB sneaks with his 42 years old QB in just the last game alone?
I dunno. Guy had a pretty serious ankle injury. I realize injury was to his his knee and maybe it was a freak injury but when someone has one injury they can move differently than they normally would.

Rappaport said on NFLN that it’s 3 weeks out unless the MRI shows ligament damage.  So best case 3 weeks. Worst case season. Mahomes tweeted he’s ok (take it for a grain of salt) but I’m leaning towards him being braced up and playing in a month. 

Users who are viewing this thread