What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

So apparently Payton - per him in his presser I just heard - totally has confirmed he loved - luvved - Mahomes and was going to pick him, in the 1st no less.
Gruden was gushing about him, as much as I've ever seen with any previous QB prospect (you can check out the episode on YouTube, about 20-25 minutes). 

Seems wired with the "right stuff" for QBs. Whatever the "it" factor is, he seems to have it. Very bright and well spoken (didn't know he was a 4.0 student). Humble, knows he has a lot to learn and seems eager to get started. The descriptive term "rocket" arm is overused, but he uncorked an 80 yarder in the highlights (in the early-mid '70s when they had old school QB skills contests, I think Dan Pastorini won with a toss around 65 yards). I have to think he instantly has one of the strongest arms in the league. He made one throw moving to the left out of the pocket under duress where he was nearly turned square to the left sideline where he still put some mustard on a throw down the field on a rope that was just stupid (good kind  :) ), Gruden raved about it and said he had never seen that type of pass before.

He has brutal mechanics and terrible footwork (got away with it in college because of his arm, but of course DBs close/converge faster in the pros).

Seems to to play outside structure and improvise too much, will have to be more disciplined, play under more control and learn to make plays from the pocket at the next level, that is a must or otherwise deal breaker. He is without a doubt raw and somewhat akin to a wild stallion that could take a year or two to "break", the very definition of a project.

Bad record (but he didn't have a lot of help).

Gruden gave him some tough love about not being so reckless and taking needless shots or he may not last long. He is a great athlete with plus wheels, and will score some scrambling type TDs, but needs to be smarter, pick his shots and learn to live to fight another day (another play - the best ability is AVAIL-ABILITY).

He seems to genuinely be passionate about the game with desire to be great. Father decade long MLB career (pitcher), he learned up close by example how to be a pro.

You hate to make the comparison because he was unique, and so many things would have to break optimally, but in terms of being a fearless gun slinger, Gruden couldn't help but see some Favre in him (he did coach in GB, maybe Mooch, too, not sure about Reid, from Holmgren coaching tree).

Looking at Bloom's pre-draft Top 100, I think he liked Kizer best (comped with Culpepper if he fulfills his potential). In Waldman's QB positional breakdown, Mahomes was the one signal caller with transcendent talent from the class. He was my favorite, though he almost certainly won't be the first to start (depending on dynasty roster composition-dictated needs).

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do the FBG gurus rank Mahomes, Foster & Trubisky? I have it Trubisky, Watson then Mahomes for the short & long term.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach insisted Saturday that there is no quarterback controversy in Kansas City.

First-round pick Patrick Mahomes showed terrific skills in the preseason, but he remains a raw developmental player, and the Chiefs believe Alex Smith gives them their best chance to win. "There is no gray area," insisted Veach. "Alex is so far advanced from the mental side of things in regard to his ability to read coverages, to shift us out of plays and really play the chess game. He’s so far ahead of where Pat is. I don’t think it’s even close right now."

Related: Alex Smith

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 2 - 7:29 PM

Boy this kid is like watching a video game. If he puts together the mental side of the game we may see things that have never been seen before. Special upside with this one.

Boy this kid is like watching a video game. If he puts together the mental side of the game we may see things that have never been seen before. Special upside with this one.
He seems to have unreal accuracy and arm strength, and he loves to throw it deep.

Fun to watch.  The NFL has become little more than 1 yard "pick" routes.

Unfortunately for Chiefs' fans, it appears they will continue to trot out the game manager this year.

I drafted him in my dynasty, though, so I'm sure something will go wrong.

It would be the shock of the season if Reid made a QB switch... mainly because we all know how stubborn he is (not that it would be the craziest move in the world).

Having said that, I for one would love to see it. That defense has turned into a sieve and the playbook in KC has shriveled up and blown away. Do they not have a single screen pass on that wallpaper-sized play sheet?

It looks like Andy Reid has collapsed back into Andy Reid and the confidence Alex Smith played with earlier this year has vanished. He's quick to take off now if he can't immediately locate Kelce.

I know they're in 1st place (by 2 games no less), but not many "contenders" have lost 4 out of their last 5. If the Chargers catch them I believe they will miss the playoffs.

Tyreek would probably be better with this kid. The real question is would one or more additional int's be worth it for KC to unlock the most dangerous offensive weapon in the league? 

Tyreek would probably be better with this kid. The real question is would one or more additional int's be worth it for KC to unlock the most dangerous offensive weapon in the league? 
The way Mahomes throws the ball around, he would certainly throw more INTs than the ultra-conservative Smith. But some of his deep ball INTs would have the same effect as punting. Smith hasn't been leading scoring drives, in fact he's been struggling to keep drives alive at all, leading to a lot of punts and very few points. 

If the Chiefs had an elite defense, it would make sense to stick with the conservative QB who can protect the ball and not lose you the game. With the current state of the Chiefs defense, they actually need someone who can go WIN them the game. There would be growing pains, but I think Mahomes is already better suited to be that guy. The handful of truly explosive plays per game would be worth the occasional headscratching turnover. 

The way Mahomes throws the ball around, he would certainly throw more INTs than the ultra-conservative Smith. But some of his deep ball INTs would have the same effect as punting. Smith hasn't been leading scoring drives, in fact he's been struggling to keep drives alive at all, leading to a lot of punts and very few points. 

If the Chiefs had an elite defense, it would make sense to stick with the conservative QB who can protect the ball and not lose you the game. With the current state of the Chiefs defense, they actually need someone who can go WIN them the game. There would be growing pains, but I think Mahomes is already better suited to be that guy. The handful of truly explosive plays per game would be worth the occasional headscratching turnover. 
I'm not sure it would be but i can see the argument. Tyreek can really win games all by himself. Plus it would be good to get a look at the kid. 

If Mahomes was ready he would be starting. Obviously Reid does not think he is at that point yet. The plan from the beginning was to let him sit and I commend them for sticking to it. When the kid is ready he will be on the field. He was a little rough around the edges coming out. 

If Mahomes was ready he would be starting. Obviously Reid does not think he is at that point yet. The plan from the beginning was to let him sit and I commend them for sticking to it. When the kid is ready he will be on the field. He was a little rough around the edges coming out. 
If you're going to fall out of the playoffs anyway, it seems foolish to go with a player who has proven time and time again to have serious limitations. 

Mahomes surely has his own limitations, and is rough around the edges as you put it, but to intentionally sit on your hands and watch your season go up in smoke when you have even a 25% chance of having a much more explosive option already on the roster, already practicing/preparing with your team, going to the meetings, watching the film, etc....

I dunno...seems like you have more to gain than you have to lose. 

If you're going to fall out of the playoffs anyway, it seems foolish to go with a player who has proven time and time again to have serious limitations. 

Mahomes surely has his own limitations, and is rough around the edges as you put it, but to intentionally sit on your hands and watch your season go up in smoke when you have even a 25% chance of having a much more explosive option already on the roster, already practicing/preparing with your team, going to the meetings, watching the film, etc....

I dunno...seems like you have more to gain than you have to lose. 
It all depends on where they feel Mahomes is at right now. I understand Smith has played poorly however they are still in the playoff race. If they feel they can correct some things and get the train on track again Smith may be the best option. I am not defending Smith but the issue is probably not 100% on him. 

It all depends on where they feel Mahomes is at right now. I understand Smith has played poorly however they are still in the playoff race. If they feel they can correct some things and get the train on track again Smith may be the best option. I am not defending Smith but the issue is probably not 100% on him. 

agree that the chief's staff definitely has more insight into how he's looked in practice than we do. but oh boy, looking over the box scores, the standings, and watching the games this last month, alex smith has been pretty bad and i feel like this is a very important week for him.

if he struggles again, it wouldn't surprise me to see the team turn to mahomes late in the game. or even against the raiders the following week.

if he struggles again, it wouldn't surprise me to see the team turn to mahomes late in the game. or even against the raiders the following week.
I agree. KC is in a tailspin......They only have one dynamic weapon and Smith is not a great match with him. In a desperate swing for the fences I see them maybe turning to Mahomes sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.......

Users who are viewing this thread