What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

What really impresses me is when the play breaks down and he has to move out of the pocket, he is still looking to throw, not run every time. Many young QBs with his wheels would take off and run the second a play breaks down, but he wants to make plays with his arm.  He looks awesome and reminds me of what I thought when Russell Wilson broke into the league in 2012 (except Mahomes has a better arm and far better weapons). 

He was pedestrian through 3 quarters and then he did well in the 4th. All these announcers were on his jockstrap 
It'll be to much work trying to explain it to you. If that's what you think then by all means avoid drafting him. 

I've been thinking about the argument that you should sell high on Mahomes if you can get an RB1. On paper, that seems to make sense, and obviously, everyone has a price. Still, I realized part of what is holding me back is that fantasy is supposed to be fun, and it is fun as hell to own this guy right now.

The last couple weeks have probably dropped his value a bit, and if he has another 6TD outing, I might consider it again. But I think it would be too psychologically painful to see him going off in someone else's lineup.

The 59-point game total is the largest for an NFL game since the Chiefs hosted the Raiders in Week 16 of 2004 (60 points).

Tom Brady is averaging a touchdown pass for every 104.2 yards passing, the best rate in the league. Patrick Mahomes is second with a touchdown pass for every 108.1 yards passing.

Mahomes has tied a franchise record with four consecutive games of 300-yards passing, matching Trent Green (2004) and Bill Kenney (1983).

His fantasy output has dropped in three straight games from the week prior, but this week he gets a defense that is generating almost no pressure and is last in the league in sack rate (3.4 percent of dropbacks). The Patriots just allowed a QB4 overall week to a player who’s receiving weaponry was led by Eric Ebron and Chester Rogers.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/82829/478/the-nfl-week-6-worksheet?pg=4

Credit to Matt Waldman who was praising this guy up and down prior to his rookie season. That allowed me to get him late during his rookie year and encouraged me to be patient and hold him until this year. Glad I did, fun rooting for this kid. 

Patrick Mahomes completed 23-of-36 passes for 352 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions in Kansas City's Week 6 loss to the Patriots.

Mahomes struggled in the first half before exploding over the final two quarters. He hit Kareem Hunt for a 67-yard touchdown on opening drive of second half, with all three of his other TDs going to Tyreek Hill. Mahomes got some help from a Patriots secondary that let Hill get past them for huge gains with broken coverages. The Chiefs lost on a last second field goal, but this was another strong showing from Mahomes after leading the Chiefs to a win over Jacksonvile last week. Mahomes will be a top-three quarterback play against the Bengals in Week 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
He put up 40 points in Foxboro and made some ridiculous, video game type plays.  Yes he played poorly in the first half but that loss was strictly at the hands of the “defense”.  I think this guy is my favorite player to watch in all of football.
Mostly agree, but I was listening to the MMQB podcast this morning and they made a good point: Up until now, it was hard to come up with a defensive gameplan against him because he had consistently looked so good. In that first half Belichick showed some looks that seemed to rattle him (although it could have just been nerves). That could give future opponents something to work with.

The Ravens match-up in December will be really interesting; I think they're the best defense KC will face in the rest of their schedule (meanwhile, the Rams game in Mexico City will be a fireworks display). It will also be interesting to see how Mahomes adapts. While the Pats played him well in the first half, I also counted three plays where KC schemed open a receiver who would have walked into the end zone and Mahomes just overthrew him.

Dr. Octopus snagged him one place ahead of me in the FFA Summerpalooza fun league. I had the song picked out from Lubbock and everything. (Those were the rules...it was essentially a music draft.) It's been so much fun watching him blow up all over the league. I hope it keeps up and he stays healthy for years. 

Also, I wanted the Jets to draft him and even though Jamal Adams is good, I feel like we missed out on a generational talent. Those throws on the run that dot i's and cross t's are incredible to see.  Last night was the first chance I got to see him outside of the Denver game and came away impressed both times. More so last night, as Belichick probably threw every trick in the bag at him and he wound up hanging 40 on them and probably left twelve more on the field with overthrows at the beginning.   

I traded for Mahomes in one of my dynasty leagues. I overpaid a little to get him but I wanted the extra title equity this season and I'm projecting big things from Mahomes/Tyreek the next 4-5 years. 

Milkman said:
I traded for Mahomes in one of my dynasty leagues. I overpaid a little to get him but I wanted the extra title equity this season and I'm projecting big things from Mahomes/Tyreek the next 4-5 years. 
What did you give up?

Guy in my league owns him & Luck and just put either of them on the block for a top WR (his WRs SUCK). Im praying AJ Green gets it done for him but Im not hopeful.

Rodgers + 1st(top 5 likely) + Tyrell Williams for Mahomes + Edmonds ( i own DJ)
Wow that's steep. Mahomes owner here who is getting interest from the our top team in inaugural dynasty. Mahomes would really put him over the top, but I've got verbal offer for Bell & Darnold which I thought was overpay, but seein this I'm thinking I could get more. Especially after last night. (Still haven't watched game but sounds like he was sensational.)

Wow that's steep. Mahomes owner here who is getting interest from the our top team in inaugural dynasty. Mahomes would really put him over the top, but I've got verbal offer for Bell & Darnold which I thought was overpay, but seein this I'm thinking I could get more. Especially after last night. (Still haven't watched game but sounds like he was sensational.)
I'm not really a dynasty guy, but not sure I would even consider Darnold and Bell for Mahomes....think it's a pretty massive drop off from Mahomes to Darnold for the next 15 years...and really how much longer does Bell have....

Guy in my league owns him & Luck and just put either of them on the block for a top WR (his WRs SUCK). Im praying AJ Green gets it done for him but Im not hopeful.
Guy in my league has Mahomes, Rivers, and Goff. But nobody is willing to pay an AJ Green price and he's not willing to lower his price, so he's 'stuck' with 3 of the top 5 qb's in the league.

I can't believe the other owner won't jump on your offer. 

Guy in my league has Mahomes, Rivers, and Goff. But nobody is willing to pay an AJ Green price and he's not willing to lower his price, so he's 'stuck' with 3 of the top 5 qb's in the league.

There is definitely a real FOMO factor going on with any owner dealing Mahomes, especially in dynasty. I'm only in two leagues and the money is a perk, so I just do this for fun. And it is F-U-N watching Mahomes zip darts like nothing all over the field. 

And looking ahead, if Mahomes keeps this up, he's gotta be in discussion as a top 3 pick a la 2008 Brady and second-year Bronco Manning, right?

Mahomes is must-see TV.   Rare to see a 2nd year QB with such command of an offense.   You just want to see what highlight-reel play he'll make next.  He's the Steph Curry of the NFL; a baby-faced assassin.  

As a Tyreek owner, love the kid... 

playing "keep away" and having guys on your bench instead of in other owners lineup every week is an underrated part of fantasy football....

using the example above....there is something to be said about while yeah AJ Green might make your lineup better.....but is it worth Mahomes being in somebody else's lineup every week that you may end up having to beat to win it all...?...when it's week 15 and you play the new Mahomes owner in the playoffs, you are banking on Luck + Green gives you an advantage over Mahomes....you better be pretty sure...Luc/Green may help you get there I guess, but when you start talking about a talent like Mahomes, there really isn't an easy slam dunk decision...

dude moves the needle...you gotta think the NFL is wondering how many more Chiefs games they can flex without it becoming embarrassing....KC may now have set the record for primetime games this year.....and then next, and the year after that, and the year after that.....

I can't believe the other owner won't jump on your offer
Most owners would but this owner is notorious for only making deals completely lopsided in his favor. We've been in the same league together for 18 years and have never made a single trade.

playing "keep away" and having guys on your bench instead of in other owners lineup every week is an underrated part of fantasy football....

using the example above....there is something to be said about while yeah AJ Green might make your lineup better.....but is it worth Mahomes being in somebody else's lineup every week that you may end up having to beat to win it all...?...when it's week 15 and you play the new Mahomes owner in the playoffs, you are banking on Luck + Green gives you an advantage over Mahomes....you better be pretty sure...Luc/Green may help you get there I guess, but when you start talking about a talent like Mahomes, there really isn't an easy slam dunk decision...
I don't think its a matter of keep away. I think its just a matter of adding up the points. Does Mahomes + crappy WR (in this case DT or Cooper) = more points than Luck + Green?

If i had AJ Green & needed a QB, I would offer that without hesitation. 

Mahommes is legit AF.

i don’t make Montana comparisons lightly, and it’s not a perfect comparison, but his ability to throw on the run and improvise is certainly Montana-esque. 

his athleticism, arm & cerebral skills are a complete set unlike anything i’ve ever seeen. He can scramble like the best of the running QBs, yet he doesn’t just tuck & run after one read like Vick. He can throw on the run like McNabb/Montana, but also has a good mental clock/6th sense for pressure like Brady. He’s got great vision downfield - reads the defense well & can find the 3rd or 4th option while extending plays.

He also leads his team with confidence of a 10 year veteran. And he makes smart decisions - like that perfect deliberately low throw to Kelce over the middle in the 4th quarter. That was an incomplete or a 1st down, with zero chance of an Int. 

He can also make “all the throws” as they say - he’s got a gorgeous touch pass, throws the bomb deep with a high arc, and yet also has a terrific fastball like the laser he threw for a TD. 

Every time I watch him I’m more impressed. I keep looking for chinks in his armor and fail. He’s a generational talent at QB. If he stays healthy, he’s gonna make a serious run at the record books. 

If i had AJ Green & needed a QB, I would offer that without hesitation. 

Mahommes is legit AF.

i don’t make Montana comparisons lightly, and it’s not a perfect comparison, but his ability to throw on the run and improvise is certainly Montana-esque. 

his athleticism, arm & cerebral skills are a complete set unlike anything i’ve ever seeen. He can scramble like the best of the running QBs, yet he doesn’t just tuck & run after one read like Vick. He can throw on the run like McNabb/Montana, but also has a good mental clock/6th sense for pressure like Brady. He’s got great vision downfield - reads the defense well & can find the 3rd or 4th option while extending plays.

He also leads his team with confidence of a 10 year veteran. And he makes smart decisions - like that perfect deliberately low throw to Kelce over the middle in the 4th quarter. That was an incomplete or a 1st down, with zero chance of an Int. 

He can also make “all the throws” as they say - he’s got a gorgeous touch pass, throws the bomb deep with a high arc, and yet also has a terrific fastball like the laser he threw for a TD. 

Every time I watch him I’m more impressed. I keep looking for chinks in his armor and fail. He’s a generational talent at QB. If he stays healthy, he’s gonna make a serious run at the record books. 
Everything you said can be said about Rodgers as well.

I don't think its a matter of keep away. I think its just a matter of adding up the points. Does Mahomes + crappy WR (in this case DT or Cooper) = more points than Luck + Green?
keep away was more in reference to having Mahomes, Rivers, and Goff....and not wanting to deal Rivers or Goff....one could argue Rivers and Goff on your bench instead of in other teams weekly lineup helps you more in the long run then dealing them away....

I own Mahomes and Goff in one league and I think it gives me a huge advantage being able to play matchups with the two best QB in the league. 

Everything you said can be said about Rodgers as well.
I don’t think Rodgers is as good a runner, nor do I think he’s as good throwing on the run. 

He can do both - but not as well. 

I’m not sure why you’re comparing the two though - I didn’t mention Rodgers. 

Yes it was. If you're going to buy him right now you're going to have to pay up. I normally don't buy high on players but in this situation I feel Mahomes is a generational talent that should be throwing for 30+ TDs anually for the next 15 years. He's also happens to be paired up with one of the best deep threats in the league. 

I don’t think Rodgers is as good a runner, nor do I think he’s as good throwing on the run. 

He can do both - but not as well. 

I’m not sure why you’re comparing the two though - I didn’t mention Rodgers. 
I just think the hyperbole is a bit much with Mahomes, whos amazing, but its like people are ignoring that Rodgers has been doing the same exact thing for years now. And Rodgers is every bit the runner Mahomes is when his knee isnt all screwed up. Ill never forget that hail mary he throw vs Detroit.

shadyridr said:
I just think the hyperbole is a bit much with Mahomes, whos amazing, but its like people are ignoring that Rodgers has been doing the same exact thing for years now. And Rodgers is every bit the runner Mahomes is when his knee isnt all screwed up. Ill never forget that hail mary he throw vs Detroit.
Meh Rodgers is starting to show signs of wearing down. Best QB ever? Maybe. Give me Mahomes over Rodgers the next 5 years though......then it's Mahomes for the next 10 after that while Rodgers is at home. 

Meh Rodgers is starting to show signs of wearing down. Best QB ever? Maybe. Give me Mahomes over Rodgers the next 5 years though......then it's Mahomes for the next 10 after that while Rodgers is at home. 
Yeah Im not comparing them right now at their current ages

Users who are viewing this thread