What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

I said he should decide to sit out year.

coming back puts him at high risk of re-injury.  Especially considering his playing style.  

dr chao is not a no name doctor.  He has a long track record of being right.
He gets them wrong a lot, he just deletes all those takes to appear correct. He deleted all mention of his Tyreek Hill take, when he was quickly proven wrong. 

Josh Allen's schedule looks pretty good for Mahomes owners waiting to see how long he is out:

Miami, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, Miami

Josh Allen's schedule looks pretty good for Mahomes owners waiting to see how long he is out:

Miami, Philadelphia, Washington, Cleveland, Miami
Drafted these two in my one league.

Definitely thankful I trusted FBG and started Allen this week!

Drafted these two in my one league.

Definitely thankful I trusted FBG and started Allen this week!
My league has short benches.   After carrying Mahomes and Brady all year, I dropped Brady yesterday morning because I needed to take a risk and improve my RB's.    No way I get Brady back after waivers since I've blown through most of my FAAB , so I picked up Josh Allen as a FA this morning.   

Dude, chill. Have you noticed how many people you have gotten into ###-for-tats with in multiple threads lately? I believe you aren't meaning to antagonize, but when it keeps happening - even inadvertently - you gotta stop at some point and genuinely ask yourself why. Especially, when you are a highly intelligent person, which clearly you are. 

I speak from personal experience here. I have the same 'not trying to be offensive, but sometimes come across offensive' gene that you and @Dr. Dan do. We can all be good again, though. Just like on the sports field, it's always about the next play. Cheers.
trying to be better... , I promise 

Last edited by a moderator:
One last time. Several people are about to be suspended if you dont ALL start being better. Patience is beyond thin. There won't be another warning. 
Great to see that the owners look at our threads and step in when necessary. 

That sets a good example in this day and age of (non) benign neglect. 

Thank you, and thanks for such an amazing product. This community is terrific. 

Has Dr. Jene chimed in on this yet?
I honestly believe he’s taken a step back this year in his writings, and when they get released etc.  I’m finding myself reading other docs on twitter and David Chao.  I’d hope Dr Jene and others can be more active on twitter as well as on the injury pages here, or maybe it’s the same as it’s always been and other content has gotten better.  Just some constructive criticism. 

I honestly believe he’s taken a step back this year in his writings, and when they get released etc.  I’m finding myself reading other docs on twitter and David Chao.  

I follow Dr Chao on Twitter - he's been pretty solid. And what I appreciate is that when he misses on a prognosis he owns it. He’s watching the same replays a lot of us are, so it’s an imperfect science. 

that’s a good quality. We all make mistakes. Important to own up to them. 

but his track record is impressive. He’s right way more than he’s wrong 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I follow Dr Chao on Twitter - he's been pretty solid. And what I appreciate is that when he misses on a prognosis he owns it. He’s watching the same replays a lot of us are, so it’s an imperfect science. 

that’s a good quality. We all make mistakes. Important to own up to them. 

but his track record is impressive. He’s right way more than he’s wrong 
I mentioned this up thread, but this isn't always the case. He deleted all of his Tyreek Hill takes because he was so wrong. On top of that the guy is a pretty terrible human being. 

I mentioned this up thread, but this isn't always the case. He deleted all of his Tyreek Hill takes because he was so wrong. On top of that the guy is a pretty terrible human being. 
Really? 

i missed all that.  Why’s he a terrible human being? 

I don't think this is true. I am not saying with 100% certainty that I am right but I've been following Dr. Chao for like 6 years and I have never seen him do this. He was the San Diego Chargers led team doctor for almost two decades. He provides his professional opinion on twitter, based solely on video evidence, which he acknowledges, for free.  He's a valuable asset to the fantasy football community. I have seen multiple sports doctors say they say thing,  surgery will happen, it's just a matter of if it will happen now or in the post season. Now, that's all conjecture at this point but for me not being in the medical community I can't say one way or the other. At this point I don't think anyone on either side of the argument should be throwing stones, we just don't know at this point.

I tried to post a fair take on the issue, but I guess that didn't get the point across: https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771
So it’s looking like a mixed bag from the 1st link posted. the DUIs are real. He’s also had a couple of patients sue & win, for a botched kneed surgery & a hip replacement gone south.

but then there’s a whole slew of other stuff that appears he was cleared of any wrongdoing, and the Chargers players loved him. 

the DUIs are crappy, definitely. 

2 blown surgeries out of presumably hundreds is a small %, and likely on par with most doctors (and multi-million dollar lawsuits are partly why our Health insurance costs so much) but while they look bad in isolation, having worked for a healthcare company that’s a pretty small number. 

the rest seems to be unsubstantiated in cases he was cleared.

so.....maybe not really that horrible?  :shrug:

Gottabesweet said:
I honestly believe he’s taken a step back this year in his writings, and when they get released etc.  I’m finding myself reading other docs on twitter and David Chao.  I’d hope Dr Jene and others can be more active on twitter as well as on the injury pages here, or maybe it’s the same as it’s always been and other content has gotten better.  Just some constructive criticism. 
No. He's doing as much injury work as ever. He's got detailed Injury forecast analysis hitting every week all the way up to game time on the Footballguys site. Then a big article every Monday recapping injuries and then forecasting up to the next week's game. He's crushing it and it' better than ever. 

Dr. Jene on the audible podcast gives an almost live response on Mahomes injury.  Nailed it.  

So what are you Mahomes owners doing with him?  

selling?  If so, what have you been able to fetch?

holding?  Who are your top FA fill ins?

I’ve been trying to sell but without much luck.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they rest him until after the bye and then the playoff schedule doesn’t look great... and there is always the risk that he decides to shut it down and have surgery now after he gets a second opinion.

Holding. While he's not Favre tough, he tough enough and competitive to come back and deal with it. 3 games max. My guess is 1.

summarize for us please.  what did he say?
Paraphrasing so not claiming 100% accuracy.  Same as what we have heard, best case three weeks, more if further damage.  If Mahomes has had prior history, then chances of surgery higher as it indicates inherent instability.  Everybody’s situation is unique.

Based on current info and my personnel experiences with it, I would guess four weeks he is back, brace, with moving left being most challenging.  It is the kneecap looseness that is the wildcard in terms of needing surgery versus just rehab.  

I as well as everybody else could be wrong but I am planning based on a four week absence.

So what are you Mahomes owners doing with him?  

selling?  If so, what have you been able to fetch?

holding?  Who are your top FA fill ins?

I’ve been trying to sell but without much luck.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they rest him until after the bye and then the playoff schedule doesn’t look great... and there is always the risk that he decides to shut it down and have surgery now after he gets a second opinion.
No-cap dynasty. Holding. 

superflex, so hurts to lose my QB1 for any length of time & Brady’s BYE is coming. 

so I trade future picks & Larry Fitz for Carr. Helps me in the interim & will help me during BYE weeks for both. 

No. He's doing as much injury work as ever. He's got detailed Injury forecast analysis hitting every week all the way up to game time on the Footballguys site. Then a big article every Monday recapping injuries and then forecasting up to the next week's game. He's crushing it and it' better than ever. 
Respectfully disagree, compared to the other content out there.  Maybe, he’s doing more but others are doing more x100 Not everyone has time to listen to podcasts taped at night or mixed into an add/drop waiver report. Needs its own content and twitter work comparable to Dr. Chao. Hell the various FBG Drs on the message board are offering more thoughts on certain players.  

Obviously I don’t know this kid but I wish him the best. He seems like an awesome young man and could be one of the greatest QB’s if he stays healthy. 

Mahomes' body language when the injury happened made me think this had happened to him before.
While possible, I’m a little bit skeptical of this. 

i dislocated my shoulder several times - the first time the pain was incredible. That’s the look I thought I saw on Mahomes when his knee was out. 

When they popped it back in, I felt instantly better. Sore, but the pain went from a 9/10 to a 1/10. 

That’s how Mahomes looked to me walking off on the sideline, especially when he stopped using the trainer for assistance.

i don’t know if anything’s come out saying he’s done this before, but based only on my personal experience with dislocations, I didn’t see anything On Thursday to indicate that wasn’t the first time.  

I'll probably try to pick up Matt Moore next week.  But his schedule is brutal.  And it'll be a tough fantasy playoff schedule for Mahomes if/when he does come back.

Week     Team     Ave Opp QB Fantasy Pts Rank

8       Packers                26th

9       Vikings                 21st

10      Titans                   25th

11      Chargers              24th

12      Bye

13      Raiders                10th

14      Patriots                32nd

15      Broncos               30th

16      Bears                    28th

17      Chargers              24th