What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (1 Viewer)

Chao’s POV on latest news...

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has advantages, disadvantages in way body built; could return sooner than expected

By PROFOOTBALLDOC

OCT. 27, 2019

9:05 AM

There is no question that Patrick Mahomes is an amazing athlete. He might even border on superhuman.

The Chiefs quarterback, voted as the NFL’s MVP in 2018, his first year as a starter, can use his feet to create plays and has the arm strength to make throws most other quarterbacks can only dream of.

Now comes an NFL.com report of his exceptional recovery from injury and the special way he is built.

Certainly, he is a unique specimen. But he is human.

The optimistic report makes sense and seems to be great news, but there is a potential downside.

Mahomes is reportedly “loose-jointed.” Some people are just more flexible than others, which gives them clear advantages. For example, that looseness is why Mahomes has tremendous arm strength. Being “double-jointed” gives him the ability to further externally rotate (wind up) his shoulder to allow for more power.

And due to his having naturally loose ligaments, there was less damage when he dislocated his patella Oct. 17 against the Broncos.

One negative to being built this way is his kneecap can pop out more easily due to the elastic nature of the restraining ligaments.

Watching the video of how he got hurt on the quarterback sneak is evidence of this. It is not like he took a big hit. Once any joint dislocates a first time, that makes it easier and more likely to happen a second time.

The original reports of “best-case scenario” and “not significant additional damage” led most to believe there was nothing torn, but that is just medically not feasible. The report does confirm that one ligament (likely the medical patellofemoral ligament) was compromised.

Mahomes surprised everyone by returning to practice in just six days “but didn’t do much. He jogged around, threw some passes and took some scout-team reps,” and the baggy sweats he was wearing likely hid a large brace and swelling in his knee.

My original estimate was that Mahomes would return in about three to four weeks, targeting the Nov. 18 game against the Chargers.

Sunday’s report says that Mahomes will likely return for the Titans game on Nov. 10 — with an outside shot to play next week vs the Vikings.

Given that he injured the knee on Oct. 17th, the Week 10 match-up at Tennessee would be 3½ weeks from injury.

The return to play also has to factor in more than just how his knee feels or how well he can play. The additional worry is re-injury as the chance of re-dislocation is significant.

Five factors contrubute to this risk:

Having loose ligaments to being with.

The MPFL is compromised now due to the dislocation.

After any first dislocation, the second one happens easier.

His knees appear to be in valgus (knock kneed), which leads to higher propensity to dislocate due to tracking issues.

He is playing at the highest level in one a highly dynamic fashion.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed as Mahomes returns. For all of these reasons, I still think surgery is in his future.

Patrick Mahomes (knee) was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice.

Mahomes worked as the No. 2 quarterback behind Matt Moore in Wednesday's practice. For what it's worth, the former MVP was getting reps as the team's No. 4 prior to Week 8. There's still a long way to go before Mahomes defies the odds and suits up versus the Vikings, but it's an encouraging sign that he'll be back at worst against the Titans in Week 10. His potential presence against Minnesota would obviously boost both offenses if he's cleared in time.

SOURCE: Kansas City Chiefs on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 5:39 PM ET

Last week Mahomes was ruled out on Friday afternoon just after 2:00 p.m. EST I do believe. Will Reid follow this same format today for Mahomes? I mean either he's in (starts) or he's totally out, right? Everyone is asking about the reigning NFL MVP. He wouldn't serve as a back up? He's currently listed as DOUBTFUL. Our short bench (4) + (1) IR makes a huge difference for my team and the strategy I must employ. Everyone on my bench is too good to drop. With a Mahomes OUT status would not force my hand to drop someone. Having him play because he's good to go is nice too. One more week of Stafford and Mahomes rehab seems ideal lol. Guess we just gotta wait out the news. The sooner the better cuz I dropped a kicker and Myers is available as of now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week Mahomes was ruled out on Friday afternoon just after 2:00 p.m. EST I do believe. Will Reid follow this same format today for Mahomes? I mean either he's in (starts) or he's totally out, right? Everyone is asking about the reigning NFL MVP. He wouldn't serve as a back up? He's currently listed as DOUBTFUL. Our short bench (4) + (1) IR makes a huge difference for my team and the strategy I must employ. Everyone on my bench is too good to drop. With a Mahomes OUT status would not force my hand to drop someone. Having him play because he's good to go is nice too. One more week of Stafford and Mahomes rehab seems ideal lol. Guess we just gotta wait out the news. The sooner the better cuz I dropped a kicker and Myers is available as of now. 
Similar situation. Another team dropped Brandin Cooks yesterday, so I dropped Rivers to pick him up. Currently, the only QB on my roster is Mahomes. I'd like to be able to snatch Rivers back up with an OUT designation for Mahomes... the sooner the better.

IMO kind of weird that even in short bench league, people play WW games with Mahomes....if there is one guy I would find a way to carry for 2 weeks it would probably be Mahomes...I would probably consider not starting a PK or a DST for a week if it came down to it...if the rest of my bench is THAT loaded....that means your starters must be stacked and you could maybe survive a goose egg at PK or DST....hell if you get negative points for one of those it makes even more sense...

IMO kind of weird that even in short bench league, people play WW games with Mahomes....if there is one guy I would find a way to carry for 2 weeks it would probably be Mahomes...I would probably consider not starting a PK or a DST for a week if it came down to it...if the rest of my bench is THAT loaded....that means your starters must be stacked and you could maybe survive a goose egg at PK or DST....hell if you get negative points for one of those it makes even more sense...
Agree in principal, but some leagues have strict rules about fielding a starting roster. 

My dynasty league kicks you out for it.

while it’s unlikely to be the cause, it could be seen as throwing a game/collusion. 

in the league I commission we’re not that extreme; but we do have a rule about it with a $10 fine (2.5x the charge of adding a player) - because it’s not fair to the league if someone is handed an easy win. 

but yeah - if there’s any play that’s “unstoppable”, Mahomes would be the guy. 

Seems pretty unlikely he'll play this week.
He’s practicing with the 2s, so I’m thinking you’re right. He’s already way ahead of schedule, reportedly. If he starts week 10 it’s pretty amazing.

seeing him running around pre-game in week 8 it looked like he was never hurt. Just a friggin miracle as far as dodging a significant season-ending / career threatening type of injury. 

maybe this will finally break the Madden curse?  :pickle:

Not saying I am stacked, just wanting to see how the week plays out this week and having Mahomes in an IR designation would help that process. Next week I'll drop Stafford or someone who didn't pan out this week. Not to bore anybody. I picked up Dio Johnson and dropped Gould to make it happen. Got too many on the roster and will want to play a kicker this week.  We have 4 bench and 1 IR.

QB: Stafford

RB: Barkley

RB: J Williams or J Samuels

WR: Evans

WR: Lockett

TE: Witten

Flex: Metcalf / Dio Johnson / or Williams or Samuels

K: Empty

D  CAR

BENCH

Mahomes, Kamara, Murray

12 team .5 ppr

I acquired Barkley via a trade during his healing.

No one to drop. If I do have to it's between J Williams, J Samuels, Dio Johnson, DK Metcalf

that’s a crazy short bench. The waiver wire must be hoppin every week.!
That was the intention by new, young bucks lol. He's like 25 and I was playing before the internet with USA Today newspaper. Won a t-shirt back in the day because my team placed pretty high overall. 

Short bench = hoppin' waiver wire with FAAB $100 of real money - use it or lose it. Total entry fee is $400 per team (included $100 FAAB) with 100% payout for W/L and total points for top 3 in each. 

That was the intention by new, young bucks lol. He's like 25 and I was playing before the internet with USA Today newspaper. Won a t-shirt back in the day because my team placed pretty high overall. 

Short bench = hoppin' waiver wire with FAAB $100 of real money - use it or lose it. Total entry fee is $400 per team (included $100 FAAB) with 100% payout for W/L and total points for top 3 in each. 
That’s a crazy format: 

one of the things I love about FF is the diversity in how people play.

the only downside to that format is it adds a huge luck factor to things. There’s already so much luck involved, I feel like teams should at least be able to roster backups for the BYE weeks.

but each to their own. I can see why in a pure gambling sense this format would be appealing. 

with a $400 per team entry fee....no ####### way I drop Mahomes and keep one of these 4.....
Dropping Mahomes is NOT has never been an option. I may have to drop one of the four I mentioned unless he goes to OUT status. I imagine we'll know by tomorrow early afternoon what the status is? Everyone in the world wants to know lol.

Dropping Mahomes is NOT has never been an option. I may have to drop one of the four I mentioned unless he goes to OUT status. I imagine we'll know by tomorrow early afternoon what the status is? Everyone in the world wants to know lol.
I’m pretty sure he’s out this week. 

no link to back it up; but 2nd team reps seems to be a sign. 

Agree in principal, but some leagues have strict rules about fielding a starting roster. 

while it’s unlikely to be the cause, it could be seen as throwing a game/collusion. 

in the league I commission we’re not that extreme; but we do have a rule about it with a $10 fine (2.5x the charge of adding a player) - because it’s not fair to the league if someone is handed an easy win. 

I guess if you prescribe to the theory that "no matter what" that if a team doesn't start a PK or DST it is giving the other team an easy win....then ok....although I would be willing to bet in probably 80% of the fantasy victories across the board if you remove the PK or DST from the winning teams points....they still get the win....

and I would argue that if I go without starting a PK or DST to keep/pick up Mahomes....I am doing my best to improve my team in the long run and have a strong team all year besides one bye week....

my bad...I thought thru all that you were saying dropping Mahomes was a possibility for you.....disregard everything I posted above...

I guess if you prescribe to the theory that "no matter what" that if a team doesn't start a PK or DST it is giving the other team an easy win....then ok....although I would be willing to bet in probably 80% of the fantasy victories across the board if you remove the PK or DST from the winning teams points....they still get the win....

and I would argue that if I go without starting a PK or DST to keep/pick up Mahomes....I am doing my best to improve my team in the long run and have a strong team all year besides one bye week....
I mostly agree with that, but in this case it’s one of those “the appearance of impropriety” kinds of things. 

as a league we all agreed to have mandatory starting lineups because it eliminates any question. The less questions about whether a team gifted a win to another the better. And we collectively want owners to have to make those tough decisions....if someone can just leave active roster spots empty, then they don’t have to drop anyone, reducing availability of those players on waivers. 

and I dunno...while mine is an IDP league (so D/ST irrelevant) we’ve had a ton of close games (1-7 point margins of victory! and an absent K absolutely would have swung the results.

but this is all wildly off-topic. ;)  

Rotoworld:

Patrick Mahomes (kneecap) remained "limited" on Thursday.

Mahomes keeps practicing, but Matt Moore is fully expected to make another start against the Vikings. Mahomes has been running with the second-team offense this week. A Week 10 return against the Titans cannot be ruled out.

Oct 31, 2019, 5:45 PM ET

If your league has rules like this, I would suggest another rule that the penalties are waived if the short-handed squad wins.

Not only does it allow an injury-riddled juggernaut an option other than dropping a valuable reserve, it sets up cool side-mockery options:  watch this!  I can beat your sorry team with my kicker and tight end tied behind my back!

Lose the bet, pay up and take the penalty.  Win and it’s bragging rights for a long time...

I mostly agree with that, but in this case it’s one of those “the appearance of impropriety” kinds of things. 

as a league we all agreed to have mandatory starting lineups because it eliminates any question. The less questions about whether a team gifted a win to another the better. And we collectively want owners to have to make those tough decisions....if someone can just leave active roster spots empty, then they don’t have to drop anyone, reducing availability of those players on waivers. 

and I dunno...while mine is an IDP league (so D/ST irrelevant) we’ve had a ton of close games (1-7 point margins of victory! and an absent K absolutely would have swung the results.

but this is all wildly off-topic. ;)  
I've had numerous instances of playing short over decades of fantasy football and no one has ever had heartburn with it.   There are many situations when the best long term interest of your team dictates this strategy.  Playing short is a calculated risk.  I've won short.  And I've lost when a replacement could have easily swung it in my favor.  But make no mistake - it is not gifting a win and it does not make the game easier.  This week, I have a back on bye, 3 backs deemed "out" and another questionable.  I could, in theory, play without an RB.

That's OK.  I don't have a QB or kicker either (byes and Mahomes is out).  Also, Two WRs are on bye and two others are questionable.

I'm playing a team that is competing with me for a play-off spot.  A win by them hurts me as much as anyone in the league.  The waiver wire is thin and, in theory, I could cobble together a line-up.  Of course, that would cost be important long term pieces and still leave me with little chance of victory.

This week be damned.  My focus is on the long haul and I've sent out three trade offers this week looking to reshape my team for the future.

Ironically, I wonder if the people who have a problem with this practice take issue with NFL teams that sit starters in week 17.   I think the common response to that complaint is you should have done more yourself to ensure success.

ETA:  For the record, I knew I was bye heavy in week 9 - the injuries have just complicated the matter.  Virtually impossible to field a competitive team.

Ironically, I wonder if the people who have a problem with this practice take issue with NFL teams that sit starters in week 17.   I think the common response to that complaint is you should have done more yourself to ensure success.
Let me say first that I completely agree with you about playing short being a worthwhile strategy at times.

But this particular comparison, imo, doesn't hold.  NFL teams control their entire games...their own attempts to score, and by playing defense against their opponent.  Losses are on the team as a whole.

Fantasy owners, in contrast, have no ability to control their opponent's game, so head-to-head fantasy is fraught with stories of a team dominating in points, but losing 3 times to the weekly high score as the second highest scorer.  Until someone comes up with an IDP scoring system that reacts to opponent play, there literally isn't as much we can do to ensure our success as an NFL team can.

Let me say first that I completely agree with you about playing short being a worthwhile strategy at times.

But this particular comparison, imo, doesn't hold.  NFL teams control their entire games...their own attempts to score, and by playing defense against their opponent.  Losses are on the team as a whole.

Fantasy owners, in contrast, have no ability to control their opponent's game, so head-to-head fantasy is fraught with stories of a team dominating in points, but losing 3 times to the weekly high score as the second highest scorer.  Until someone comes up with an IDP scoring system that reacts to opponent play, there literally isn't as much we can do to ensure our success as an NFL team can.
Point taken.  Dynasty fantasy teams aren't intentionally going through the motions to stay healthy either.  In my experience, teams play to win when possible.

I've had otherwise strong but bye depleted teams in my leagues fail to knock off competition for me.  Its part of the game and the quirks of head to head.

so head-to-head fantasy is fraught with stories of a team dominating in points, but losing 3 times to the weekly high score as the second highest scorer. 
2 seasons ago I was points leader in My IDP & ran into a buzz saw every week except 3. Went 3-11, and won 10% for most points, and another $50 for single game high score. 

bitter, table for one!   :sadbanana:

won 10% for most points
The team with the most points should get an entry into the fantasy playoffs.  They are much more deserving than a team that goes 7-6.  I like the system where the two top point teams are the 2 top seeds with first round byes and the remaining 4 best records are the wild card teams.  Head to head is fun but not completely fair.  Letting the top point teams in also keeps the bottom teams involved since even a team that is trailing by 200 points can make up that difference with a couple of monster weeks.

I've had numerous instances of playing short over decades of fantasy football and no one has ever had heartburn with it.   There are many situations when the best long term interest of your team dictates this strategy.  Playing short is a calculated risk.  I've won short.  And I've lost when a replacement could have easily swung it in my favor.  But make no mistake - it is not gifting a win and it does not make the game easier.  This week, I have a back on bye, 3 backs deemed "out" and another questionable.  I could, in theory, play without an RB.

That's OK.  I don't have a QB or kicker either (byes and Mahomes is out).  Also, Two WRs are on bye and two others are questionable.

I'm playing a team that is competing with me for a play-off spot.  A win by them hurts me as much as anyone in the league.  The waiver wire is thin and, in theory, I could cobble together a line-up.  Of course, that would cost be important long term pieces and still leave me with little chance of victory.

This week be damned.  My focus is on the long haul and I've sent out three trade offers this week looking to reshape my team for the future.

ETA:  For the record, I knew I was bye heavy in week 9 - the injuries have just complicated the matter.  Virtually impossible to field a competitive team.
As a commissioner in one league I simply make a statement to be competitive. Just be competitive. It makes it fair for everyone. Certainly field your best team possible. If a manager, such as yourself finds them in the predicament, the unique situation you are currently in and choose your best strategy moving forward, then everyone has done their best. No reason to intervene or get in a huffy. It's when a team(s) lacks competitiveness then does it hurt the league. Plus, we want a team to win through competitiveness, not losing because of neglect in managing. Toss em out?

We have one manager on his own, lost his partner who made the calls, couldn't log in, and is very busy. I made some quick moves for him when I told him what his team looked like. I also reminded him to be competitive. Not manage his team, but encourage him. Well, here we are in week 9 and his team is in 12th and he's playing the first place team who got off to a slow start last night. Do I intervene and remind him that Zeke is on the bench and Cooks and Zuerlein on a bye? So, he obviously missed waiver wire and other best FA pick ups already.

The point is Dropkick, you are into this and you do have a strategy. You're trying to trade to make it work. Some managers are more apt to participant and quickly respond during this process, some pretty lame, which is a topic for another thread.

Now we have MAHOMES - most likely coming back in week 10 against TEN. MVP of the league last year. Yet, still not ruled out for week 9. I imagine we'll here later this afternoon his status. And Mahomes is the cream of the crop so our strategy working our team around him pretty much dictates our team while he is out. 

Does anyone really think Reid is going to risk going to 5-4 if Mahomes looks reasonably fit to play? I mean if it’s true he’s  moving around fine—why would you play Morre again against a Vikings team that will likely smash you? Even the home field advantage ain’t working out for the Chefs recently. If Mahomes is anywhere near 75% they gotta play him otherwise the Vikings will crush Matt Moore. 

Does anyone really think Reid is going to risk going to 5-4 if Mahomes looks reasonably fit to play? I mean if it’s true he’s  moving around fine—why would you play Morre again against a Vikings team that will likely smash you? Even the home field advantage ain’t working out for the Chefs recently. If Mahomes is anywhere near 75% they gotta play him otherwise the Vikings will crush Matt Moore. 
Either play him or designate him OUT? Reid wouldn't keep him active and not starting, would he?

All IN or all OUT.

Because running around in pregame in sweatpants is a lot different from getting tackled by a 270 lb linebacker from the side.

He looked awesome hopping around making throws. 

but his ankle was still taped, and his knee is still healing.

i want him back too. But I do think Reid would risk 5-4 over risking a significant injury to his franchise QB by rushing him back a week early.  Also, Moore looked good. If Moore was teh suck, I could see more urgency in the decision. 

The team with the most points should get an entry into the fantasy playoffs.  They are much more deserving than a team that goes 7-6.  I like the system where the two top point teams are the 2 top seeds with first round byes and the remaining 4 best records are the wild card teams.  Head to head is fun but not completely fair.  Letting the top point teams in also keeps the bottom teams involved since even a team that is trailing by 200 points can make up that difference with a couple of monster weeks.
12 team league.....3 divisions of 4....

the 3 division winners make the playoffs..... and the next 3 teams with the best "all play" record make it in.....

about as close to perfect as you can get....

That appeals to the roto baseball geek in me, but it’s also a matter of perspective. 

if a team is sitting at 8-6 in 4th place, they’d have a bone to pick over missing the playoffs over a 3-11 team who scored the most over the course of the season. And rightly so, IMO. 4/12 make the playoffs, 3 division leaders & the WC. Points come into play for a  tiebreaker, depending on in-division or not. (In-division = H2H, points. Out of division tiebreaker is total points)

sometimes people get unlucky & have a lot of points & a bad record. Just like in the NFL - sometimes teams score 40+ and lose. 

My league the kitty usually ends up around $3500, so $350 isn’t a bad consolation prize. 

like I said, I like the idea, but my league would never go for it. 

my dynasty league has no divisions. But it’s still record that determines standing. 

12 team league.....3 divisions of 4....

the 3 division winners make the playoffs..... and the next 3 teams with the best "all play" record make it in.....

about as close to perfect as you can get....
Except half the league advances in that format. 

sounds more like the NBA. ;)  

A lot of the quarterbacks on the waiver wire last week had great matchups so it was easy to replace Mahomes.  This week, not so much.  I'm deciding between Mason Rudolph vs Indy or Mr Biscuit Trubisky vs Philly.  No bueno.

Worst case scenario for me... he suits up but doesn't start, and I have to drop someone to pick up a QB! Grrrrrr...
Anybody owning Mahomes should have been planning for all possible scenarios since the Thursday night Denver game....with other QB options ready to rock and roll....if you are playing the minute to minute “will he play or won’t he play” thing you really can’t complain about it....

Anybody owning Mahomes should have been planning for all possible scenarios since the Thursday night Denver game....with other QB options ready to rock and roll....if you are playing the minute to minute “will he play or won’t he play” thing you really can’t complain about it....
Oh, I have an option ready to go that I’m more than comfortable with... that’s not the part I’m whining about. Do you typically struggle with reading comprehension?

I have no idea what Reid and staff are going to do this week with Mahomes. My theory is they have prepared him all week "as if" he will or would or could start and then yank him as Inactive sometime between now and 11:30 on Sunday? It'll be like he's close or he could play, just erring on the side of caution. He'll be back week 10 to start chomping at the bit with bells on. That's my theory.

Now, he could get the start against MIN? I wouldn't imagine Mahomes going into the game Active and being Moore's back up, but that is the last possibility.

Oh, I have an option ready to go that I’m more than comfortable with... that’s not the part I’m whining about. Do you typically struggle with reading comprehension?
Sounded like you didn’t have an option ready to go and you needed to pick up a QB now that he is listed as Q and may not play.... :shrug:

whatever I don’t really care....

ESPN's Ed Werder reports there's "a chance" Patrick Mahomes (knee) plays Week 9 against the Vikings.

Werder notes that Mahomes will be a game-time decision, something that was assumed when the Chiefs listed Mahomes as questionable. The fact that Mahomes is even trying to play this week is a good sign for the Chiefs overall, but Matt Moore is still more likely to start after receiving first-team reps at practice this week while Mahomes practiced in a limited fashion. We should know who is starting 90 minutes before kickoff at the latest.

SOURCE: Ed Werder on Twitter

Nov 2, 2019, 7:26 PM ET

Joe Summer said:
OUT per Schefty.

Chad Henne activated from IR to serve as #2 QB Week 9.
Just awaiting final confirmation status to OUT. I keep hearing he'll go through pregame warm-ups and then get the OUT status. Perhaps Reid is just preparing Mahomes "as if" he was playing. I'll be watching the OUT status between now 6:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. so I can finally put him on IR bench and pick up a kicker lol.

This is getting frustrating.  I hope we have some clarity before waivers runs tonight.  I need to know if I need to overbid for Fitztragic.  Is Mahomes practicing with the first team offense?

Was hoping for more of an ‘all systems go’ tone from Reid today...still seems like it’s moving in a ‘he’ll play’ direction, but...

This is getting frustrating.  I hope we have some clarity before waivers runs tonight.  I need to know if I need to overbid for Fitztragic.  Is Mahomes practicing with the first team offense?
these type of "frustrations" are a part of fake football....always have been....always will be...nobody really cares when fake football waivers run.....you can probably find out if he is practicing with the first team just as easy as anybody else in here....hard to assess tone in posts, but you seem to be whining or complaining like you can't believe you haven't been gift wrapped the information you need to make a decision for your fake football team.....suck it up buttercup..... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread