What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Patrick Mahomes II, KC (2 Viewers)

oh boy...i'm trying to choose between mahones and winston at this point.  never thought i would be having this discussion in a critical game

As a Hill and Kelce owner I don't have a choice.  But the hourly forecasts I have seen don't look too bad (winds under 10mph, 65% precipitation chance in any hour during game). And as a New Englander I remember very well the NE-Tenn snow game from 10 years ago when Brady threw 6 TDs because the Titans defenders couldn't plant in the snow and so the offensive players (who knew where they were going) had a huge advantage.  Indeed, I remember seeing a mic'd up Brady saying BEFORE the game that this was gonna be good for the passing game.  As such, am hoping for similar conditions and outcome today!

As a Hill and Kelce owner I don't have a choice.  But the hourly forecasts I have seen don't look too bad (winds under 10mph, 65% precipitation chance in any hour during game). And as a New Englander I remember very well the NE-Tenn snow game from 10 years ago when Brady threw 6 TDs because the Titans defenders couldn't plant in the snow and so the offensive players (who knew where they were going) had a huge advantage.  Indeed, I remember seeing a mic'd up Brady saying BEFORE the game that this was gonna be good for the passing game.  As such, am hoping for similar conditions and outcome today!
Good luck to us!

Morton, I agree.

I am rolling with kielce, hill, and Patrick.  I could substitute C Godwin but I think Hill's speed might be deadly today.  Furthermore, if recent history is any indication weather reports these days are a little over dramatic.

Morton, I agree.

I am rolling with kielce, hill, and Patrick.  I could substitute C Godwin but I think Hill's speed might be deadly today.  Furthermore, if recent history is any indication weather reports these days are a little over dramatic.
it's not a report...it's what is happening right now however

in the snow speed is dead...it's the complete opposite of what you are expecting

PATRICK MAHOMESQB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

FOX's Jay Glazer reports the Chiefs are "nervous" about Patrick Mahomes suffering further damage to his injured throwing hand.

Per Glazer, Mahomes' injury was a "sprain on the outside" of his hand, and it was "black and blue on both sides." Glazer reports Mahomes was struggling to grip the ball until Thursday but was "slinging it" by Friday. It's the rare time we hear a team is actually concerned about further injury, but it is not enough to get Mahomes out of fantasy lineups for the semifinals.

High 5!

Patrick Mahomes completed 27-of-34 passes for 340 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Chiefs' 23-3, Week 15 win over the Broncos.

Mahomes was brilliant despite the snowy conditions. He added a two-point conversion to Sammy Watkins that featured some vintage off-script scrambling from Mahomes before he eventually found his man. The 2018 MVP connected with Tyreek Hill on both of his scoring strikes. Mahomes remains anyone’s idea of a matchup-proof QB that should be ranked among the week’s top-three options ahead of next week’s matchup against the Bears.
"... BRILLIANT!" says Rotoworld. Fantasy owners might disagree

Throwing for under 300 yards a game during the fantasy playoffs?  
I'll eat my crow.  Mahomes broke the streak of sub 300 yd ff playoff games.  He's still pretty much JAG (I'm referring to ff, not real life).  The Chiefs are always going to be dealing with weather issues late in the year.

Patrick Mahomes completed 23-of-33 passes for 251 yards with two touchdowns in Kansas City's Week 16 win over Chicago, adding two carries for 14 yards and a rushing touchdown.

Mahomes and the Chiefs coasted to an easy win, with Kansas City's defense holding Chicago out of the end-zone. Mahomes set the tone on the opening drive of the night, extending the play and scrambling in for a 12-yard touchdown. He later connected with Travis Kelce and Damien Williams on red-zone throws for his passing TDs. Mahomes didn't need to do much in this one but still managed a big game despite the tough matchup. He'll close out the regular season against the Chargers in Week 17.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001091270/article/week-17-nfl-playoff-picture-whos-locked-in-who-needs-help

3) Kansas City Chiefs (11-4): Patrick Mahomes and friends have won five straight games with increasing ease and host the collapsing Chargers on Sunday. Kansas City would need to win against Los Angeles and hope the Patriots lose to Miami in order to move up to the No. 2 seed and skip a round of the playoffs. The Chiefs could also theoretically fall to the No. 4 seed if they lose and the Texans win their finale.

While it's an annoying spot to be in, K.C. can't risk sitting its starters. Andy Reid could, however, pull Mahomes at some point if he sees a blowout in Foxborough while scoreboard-watching. The Chiefs are as healthy offensively as they've been all season and want to stay that way because this a championship-level team. They may just have a brutal path to the promised land.

Well, at 12-4 (my fantasy football record) still playing another week to clinch a first place payout, and wondering about the Chiefs and other starters in week 17. Sounds like they still have something to play for. I guess 3/4 Mahomes would be better then what's left on the FA waiver wire.

Chiefs homers got a feel for week 17 LAC @ KC 1:00.

Team Smokin' said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001091270/article/week-17-nfl-playoff-picture-whos-locked-in-who-needs-help

3) Kansas City Chiefs (11-4): Patrick Mahomes and friends have won five straight games with increasing ease and host the collapsing Chargers on Sunday. Kansas City would need to win against Los Angeles and hope the Patriots lose to Miami in order to move up to the No. 2 seed and skip a round of the playoffs. The Chiefs could also theoretically fall to the No. 4 seed if they lose and the Texans win their finale.

While it's an annoying spot to be in, K.C. can't risk sitting its starters. Andy Reid could, however, pull Mahomes at some point if he sees a blowout in Foxborough while scoreboard-watching. The Chiefs are as healthy offensively as they've been all season and want to stay that way because this a championship-level team. They may just have a brutal path to the promised land.

Well, at 12-4 (my fantasy football record) still playing another week to clinch a first place payout, and wondering about the Chiefs and other starters in week 17. Sounds like they still have something to play for. I guess 3/4 Mahomes would be better then what's left on the FA waiver wire.

Chiefs homers got a feel for week 17 LAC @ KC 1:00.
There was an article in the KC Star about this yesterday. Reid is planning on playing the starters most of the game, if not all.

They have incentive to stay the 3 seed, since if they end up losing and being the 4th seed, they would have to play the Ravens first if they make it past the wild card round.

I think the Chiefs would much rather get the Patriots first than the Ravens. But it will be no picnic getting out of the wild card round if the Titans make it to the 6th seed. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are expected to reward Patrick Mahomes with a "mammoth" contract extension this offseason.

Per Rapsheet, the Chiefs haven't "really dug into" contract talks with Mahomes outside of some early planning, though a deal should get done this offseason, likely after a new CBA is reached. The reigning MVP's expected windfall should make him the highest-paid player in league history, at least until the Texans lock up Deshaun Watson, who is also up for a lucrative extension. Still just 24, Mahomes can lead the Chiefs to their second straight AFC title game with a victory Sunday over Houston.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 12, 2020, 10:37 AM ET

Patrick Mahomes completed 23-of-35 passes for 321 yards and five touchdowns while rushing seven times for an additional 53 yards Sunday in the Chiefs’ Divisional Round win over Houston.

The box score doesn't do this game as justice as Sunday's rollercoaster at Arrowhead was somehow even wilder than the final score would indicate. Thanks to a muffed punt courtesy of the usually sure-handed Tyreek Hill and a number of other first-half blunders, the Chiefs found themselves in an early 24-0 hole. That would be a death sentence for most quarterbacks, but Mahomes, the reigning MVP is not like most quarterbacks. He resurrected KC in breathtaking fashion Sunday, performing CPR on the Chiefs by hurling four second-quarter touchdowns, matching an NFL record set by Doug Williams in Super Bowl XII. Three of those landed in the waiting hands of Travis Kelce, including a masterful toe-tap by Mahomes, who somehow managed to stay behind the line of scrimmage. After surviving Sunday's early scare, the Chiefs will host the upset-minded Titans in next week's AFC title game with the winner headed to Super Bowl LIV in Miami three weeks from today.

Jan 12, 2020, 6:43 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes completed 23-of-35 passes for 294 yards and three touchdowns, adding eight scrambles for 53 yards and a rushing score in Kansas City's Conference Championship victory over the Titans.

Trailing 17-7 through the first quarter, Kansas City and Mahomes miraculously rattled off three consecutive scores drives to take a commanding 21-17 lead into the half. The team would inevitably score 28 unanswered points, including a 27-yard touchdown scramble where Mahomes seemingly tightroped the left sideline while averting spying LB Rashaan Evans and dashing ahead to gift the Chiefs their first-half lead. In all, Mahomes and the Chiefs' O finished the afternoon with scoring drives of 88, 86, 74, 73, and 63 yards, seeing both Tyreek Hill (5/67/2) and Sammy Watkins (7/114/1) get loose over the top of Tennessee's secondary. If there's a way to stop the Chiefs' aerial attack, both the Texans and Titans didn't unveil the blueprint. Super Bowl 54 will be the city of Kansas City's first title appearance in the last 50 years.

Jan 19, 2020, 6:11 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said the team may not extend Patrick Mahomes until 2021.

Mahomes' rookie deal is first eligible to be extended this offseason. "There will be a right time sometime in the next 12-15 months to extend Patrick, and when I say right time, I mean right time for both the player and the club," Hunt said. "I don't want to say necessarily it has to be this offseason, but I will say that it's a priority to get him done." Mahomes is under team control for two more years, but there is not much incentive for the Chiefs to wait. Whenever the deal is done, Mahomes is going to become the highest-paid player in league history by a staggering margin. It would be better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later. Perhaps potential changes to the CBA are looming in Hunt's mind.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 28, 2020, 2:38 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes completed 26-of-41 passes for 286 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the Chiefs' 31-20, Super Bowl LIV victory over the 49ers.

Under constant duress — especially in the second half — Mahomes was not himself this evening, short-arming one pass after another. He got it together just in time for the Chiefs to secure their first Super Bowl victory in 50 seasons. Mahomes experienced the expected regression on his historic 2018 but was still one of the NFL’s two most electric players. Mahomes once again exploded out of the gate with three-touchdown performances in each of his first three games, but a Week 5 aggravation of a Week 1 ankle injury led to what qualified as a three-game "slump" by the MVP’s standards. Things took a turn for the scary in Week 7, where Mahomes suffered what appeared to be a season-ending knee injury. He escaped with "just" a dislocated kneecap and returned to a 446-yard day in Week 10. Mahomes went on to produce just eight passing scores over the Chiefs' final six regular season games before finally coming back alive in the postseason.

Not many QBs would have had the line that he had with that constant pressure that he was dealing with all game.  This is the best QB in the game and I honestly think anyone is even close to him.

Patrick Mahomes said he wants to be a Chief for a "long time."

"I want to be in Kansas City a long time," said Mahomes, who was responsible for three of the Chiefs' four touchdowns (two passing, one rushing) in Sunday's Super Bowl triumph over San Francisco. "I want to win a lot of football games." Just three years into his career and already with an MVP and a Super Bowl MVP on his NFL resume, the 24-year-old could soon become the highest-paid player in league history. Expect Mahomes' agent Leigh Steinberg to begin extension talks with the Chiefs this offseason.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Feb 3, 2020, 10:29 AM ET

The guy is the new barometer for what it means to be great in the nfl

eNdblu said:
The biggest news from yesterday is that Mahomes may have slain the Madden Curse.
The madden curse was always fake news. Most of the time it was just regression to the mean, which Mahomes also had. 

Side note, while Mahomes is obviously great, Andy Reid deserves a ton of credit here. Mahomes was a prospect many(most?) coaches would have tried to change.

The madden curse was always fake news. Most of the time it was just regression to the mean, which Mahomes also had. 

Side note, while Mahomes is obviously great, Andy Reid deserves a ton of credit here. Mahomes was a prospect many(most?) coaches would have tried to change.
Didn't Reid move up in the draft to get him because he knew exactly who he wanted?

That's scouting.

Didn't Reid move up in the draft to get him because he knew exactly who he wanted?

That's scouting.
Yep. People forget this now, but there were a lot of draft analysts that weren’t sure Mahomes was a 1st rounder, as he came from a spread offense(Kingsbury’s offense) and was considered raw and reckless. 

I think very highly of Mahomes, but I think he is also a little like Drew Brees, where he also has the perfect coach for him.

Brett Veach, who was the assistant gm at the time, was pounding the table for Mahomes leading up to the draft. I think they said after the draft that they would have taken him with 1.1 if they had that pick.

Users who are viewing this thread