What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (10 Viewers)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Please keep any discussion on his past to the thread dedicated to that. This is for his fantasy relevance.

I'll start this off.

Draft profile

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen Mixon in mocks going in the first round to NE all the way to him being toxic and going completely undrafted. That's a pretty broad spectrum. 

Oakland Raiders can absorb the 'outrage' that he is given a chance to play in the NFL. Serious upgrade over Murray and it's wide open for him. 

Chiefs could as well, they can say they already have a guy that is a bigger monster.

Oakland Raiders can absorb the 'outrage' that he is given a chance to play in the NFL. Serious upgrade over Murray and it's wide open for him. 

Chiefs could as well, they can say they already have a guy that is a bigger monster.

Think the Raiders specifically have a policy against this type of pick. They have a zero tolerance thing going on there.

Think the Raiders specifically have a policy against this type of pick. They have a zero tolerance thing going on there.
Fred Biletnikoff is one of the most beloved Raiders of all time, had a daughter murdered by her then-boyfriend.  Al took a very strong stance against any type of domestic abuse, and there's no reason to expect Marky Boy to change that history.

I have seen Mixon in mocks going in the first round to NE all the way to him being toxic and going completely undrafted. That's a pretty broad spectrum. 
If i picked someone randomly from the phone book, there would be a better chance of the Pats drafting him in the first round than Mixion.

We can all agree he won't be a raven.  Right? 

What other teams can we rule out here? 

Ravens, Steelers, Falcons, Vikings, Jets, Giants. Who else either can't afford the negative publicity or has a strong history of not taking players with checkered pasts?

The Patriots are an interesting case - their fan base will stand behind them no matter what but the hernandez debacle should push them away from Mixon. 

Tampa has taken a QB accused of rape #1 overall, drafted a known drug abuser in round two last year, and signed Josh Huff after he was released following gun charges. 

Seems like Mixon would fit right in with the Bucs. 

Ravens, Steelers, Falcons, Vikings, Jets, Giants. Who else either can't afford the negative publicity or has a strong history of not taking players with checkered pasts?

The Patriots are an interesting case - their fan base will stand behind them no matter what but the hernandez debacle should push them away from Mixon. 
I think you are overestimating the negative impact of his past. I am very much hoping GB can grab him round 3-4. He's 1st round talent. Made a mistake a long time ago. That's over and done with. He gets one more chance as an adult.

Strong RB class so I'm guessing 3rd or 4th round pick. Probably the second or third best back in the draft though.
100% agree. I would imagine he would slip to the back half of the 3rd or the 4th round pick. But his talent would put him in the top 3 RBs of the draft. 

I think you are overestimating the negative impact of his past. I am very much hoping GB can grab him round 3-4. He's 1st round talent. Made a mistake a long time ago. That's over and done with. He gets one more chance as an adult.

By saying certain teams won't take him?  Maybe but I don't think so.  I'd bet my house the Ravens don't take him.  The other specific teams I'm less sure about but I'm sure some won't take him.  

I do agree that he should go in the first 125 picks.  

The Steelers had a player who ran from the cops and shot at them with a shotgun, who then played for them the next season.  Idk about a strong history of not using players with a checkered past.  They do have a short history of no shenanigans with the trade of Santonio and the recent issues with Bryant, but they have definitely put up with it in the past if the talent was great enough.  (Ernie Holmes)

Also, I hope they do draft him if he falls to the end of the third round.  We need a great backup RB.

By saying certain teams won't take him?  Maybe but I don't think so.  I'd bet my house the Ravens don't take him.  The other specific teams I'm less sure about but I'm sure some won't take him.  

I do agree that he should go in the first 125 picks.  
I agree, the Ravens likely would tkae him off their board, but I'm just saying you insinuate a lot of teams can't afford negative publicity that wuold come with him. 

1. I'm not sure negative publicity really comes with drafting him. You'll hear a blurb when he's drafted and that'll be the end of it. It's old news and it was smart for him to get this video out well before the draft

2. Your list is kind of odd

Steelers have an alleged rapist as their QB for the last several years. Doesn't seem to bother them. They also have Bell who missed drug tests resulting in a "positive" test and suspension. It's not like they're shying away from negative publicity

Giants? Why? They seem to be the top destination for AP. His past is checkered, and it's why I think you mentioned the Vikings. However they'd be perfect for Mixon. 

I do believe a lot of teams would give him a shot at the right price. If he falls out of round 4 I certainly see a team with nothing to lose going after him. However I do believe someone will take him earlier. I would estimate maybe 6 teams would have him off their draft boards. 

While I'm not saying the Jets will draft him, I don't think they would not take him solely because of his transgression. If Revis could still play, he'd still be a Jet. They kept Sheldon Richardson on the team after he was arrested for speeding under the influence, with drugs and gun and a child in his car, they traded for Santonio Holmes and Brandon Marshall both of who had checkered pasts....etc. etc.

The Steelers had a player who ran from the cops and shot at them with a shotgun, who then played for them the next season.  Idk about a strong history of not using players with a checkered past.  They do have a short history of no shenanigans with the trade of Santonio and the recent issues with Bryant, but they have definitely put up with it in the past if the talent was great enough.  (Ernie Holmes)

Also, I hope they do draft him if he falls to the end of the third round.  We need a great backup RB.
Plus their QB was an alleged rapist.

I agree, the Ravens likely would tkae him off their board, but I'm just saying you insinuate a lot of teams can't afford negative publicity that wuold come with him. 

1. I'm not sure negative publicity really comes with drafting him. You'll hear a blurb when he's drafted and that'll be the end of it. It's old news and it was smart for him to get this video out well before the draft

2. Your list is kind of odd

Steelers have an alleged rapist as their QB for the last several years. Doesn't seem to bother them. They also have Bell who missed drug tests resulting in a "positive" test and suspension. It's not like they're shying away from negative publicity

Giants? Why? They seem to be the top destination for AP. His past is checkered, and it's why I think you mentioned the Vikings. However they'd be perfect for Mixon. 

I do believe a lot of teams would give him a shot at the right price. If he falls out of round 4 I certainly see a team with nothing to lose going after him. However I do believe someone will take him earlier. I would estimate maybe 6 teams would have him off their draft boards.

Giants dealt with negative publicity from Josh brown last season but you're right that they have been rumored to be interested in AD so maybe they don't care.  

I'm more asking for thoughts than saying most of those teams definitely won't take him.  You seem to agree that at least a few will - even if we're not sure which ones. 

Plus their QB was an alleged rapist.
Not when they drafted him though.  And there was no video or conviction.  It's more tenable to stand behind your player who is alleged to have committed a crime than to draft someone with two strikes (although to be fair I'm not sure how big a strike the parking lot thing is)

Giants dealt with negative publicity from Josh brown last season but you're right that they have been rumored to be interested in AD so maybe they don't care.  

I'm more asking for thoughts than saying most of those teams definitely won't take him.  You seem to agree that at least a few will - even if we're not sure which ones. 
Yeah I couldn't even begin to speculate who would have him off their board. I think any team in need of someone at RB has to at least take a look at him, just because you can get some top level talent for cheaper. No one has a team full of saints... except New Orleans I guess (ha... ha... ha...). But yes I would assume there are some that would not take him at all. They would know best for their respective teams. 

There are several players with checkered pasts who have dropped just a little bit still gone rather high. Randy Moss comes to mind. Tunsil last year. 

Will pass on Mixon at his likely price in dynasty. Instead targeting his backfield mate. Perine looks like he'll be a fantastic value for NFL and dynasty owners.

As far as where Mixon will land, I think Vikings make a ton of sense. Panthers as well.

Will pass on Mixon at his likely price in dynasty. Instead targeting his backfield mate. Perine looks like he'll be a fantastic value for NFL and dynasty owners.

As far as where Mixon will land, I think Vikings make a ton of sense. Panthers as well.
I think Mixon would pose the same kind of dynasty value as he holds in the NFL draft. He would likely come cheap-ish and has incredible upside. 

If people are correct here in speculating that TB, MIN, CAR could draft him- those are playoff caliber teams. 

Let me ask this, if Mixon was drafted by NE would you still pass on him in dynasty? Point is, there is good value but it depends on where he goes.

I do agree with you, Perine will be good value across the board, but from what I read about him he will fill in more as a banger type guy. Goal line, short yardage. He doesn't seem to have the speed to take it into the second or third level of the defense. 

Mixon has the ability to be a 3 down back. I don't see that with Perine, but it all depends on situation.

I think this all depends on teams evaluations of whether this is all in his past. I know the punch was a long time ago but didn't I also see something about him ripping up a parking ticket and getting in the guys face that was kind of swept under the rug. Do we really know that this guys anger is in check for certain? I think he will be only on about 10 teams lists IMO, the ones that don't care or claim he deserves a shot to justify it. My best guess is KC but only if he lasts until the 4th or so

Here it is  http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

I myself just question whether this guy would be able to keep his nose clean. He'll get drafted but he won't get drafted on my dynasty teams unless he slips, lol and that is more unlikely in dynasty drafts than the nfl draft. In dynasty I wouldn't think about him until end of first round and he won't slip that far. We've see n what super talented knuckleheads can do in one Josh Gordon. Why would I want the headache of that risk

Here it is  http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

I myself just question whether this guy would be able to keep his nose clean. He'll get drafted but he won't get drafted on my dynasty teams unless he slips, lol and that is more unlikely in dynasty drafts than the nfl draft. In dynasty I wouldn't think about him until end of first round and he won't slip that far. We've see n what super talented knuckleheads can do in one Josh Gordon. Why would I want the headache of that risk
I don't disagree with your comments but why is nobody questioning Dalvin Cook and his arrest record?  Only difference appears to be video evidence for Mixon.  

Randy Moss? Just saying, for every knucklehead that couldn't get his head on straight there are examples of players who have been huge bargains in the draft and have turned out just fine. 

But yes, that is the ultimate question and it's a question that will cause him to slip in the NFL draft

In dynasty I would see him as excellent value anywhere after 1.05, depending who drafts him. These destinations would get me excited:

NE
KC
OAK
DEN
IND
GB
PHI
MIN
TB
CAR
MIA

Others that would make sense but I'd be very tepid about:

NYG
NYJ
DET
SF
NO
JAX

Panthers' owner, Jerry Richardson, would not let Joe Mixon on his team if you threatened him at gun point.

As a Panthers' fan that loves Mixon's talent, I can tell you that there is ZERO chance that he is ever a Carolina Panther.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12544947/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-my-call-not-keep-greg-hardy

My favorite rookie in this draft after Dalvin Cook.  Patience, agility, burst, great hands.   I own 1.03 in a rookie draft and based on his landing spot (and ADP) I will most likely try to trade back just a bit in the draft (like to 1.05 or 1.06) and take him there.  In the right situation there is a very clear path for him to be a top 12 RB very soon IMO.

I don't disagree with your comments but why is nobody questioning Dalvin Cook and his arrest record?  Only difference appears to be video evidence for Mixon.  
I agree with you on Cook, just commenting on Mixon since this is his thread. I can tell you I have 1.1 and I have Fournette as my 1.1 or trading back to 1.2 and getting something plus and letting someone else take Cook. Cook seems like a punk also

Dr. Brew said:

I think he's spot on and the average FF fan is thinking with their hearts.  As an owner I would love nothing more than for Mixon to see no repercussions in his NFL career.  That's just not likely.  You are drastically underestimating the power SJW have today.  This will be all over all of the social media sites.  Sponsors are going to get involved.  He's totally toxic and there are going to be a LOT of teams that want no part in it.

Talent trumps all in the NFL.  Last year while Tyreek Hill was gashing opposing special teams and having 80 yard rushing TDs all the announcers and fans did was cheer and shower him with praise.  No one brought up how he shoved his pregnant girlfriend down some stairs.  There wasn't a video of that, so there might be a bit more indignation towards Mixon. But if he comes out and has a 1200 yard rushing season, no one will be talking about his past transgressions.

The main thing most teams are looking at is his risk of having another incident.

That said, he's a top 4 RB in this class and depending on what team he goes to, he could be worth the #2 pick.  

I think he's spot on and the average FF fan is thinking with their hearts.  As an owner I would love nothing more than for Mixon to see no repercussions in his NFL career.  That's just not likely.  You are drastically underestimating the power SJW have today.  This will be all over all of the social media sites.  Sponsors are going to get involved.  He's totally toxic and there are going to be a LOT of teams that want no part in it.
I respectfully disagree. If there was such a backlash with him, why haven't we seen much of it since the video was released? Sure there was some significant fall out from that, but at the end of the day he wasn't found to be criminally at fault in a court of law, thus there is more to this than people realize and details of that would come out with whatever social media or SJW have on the issue (don't get me started on that). 

Steelers makes a great point... Tyreek Hill pushed his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs and I didn't hear that once when he was playing like a freak last season.

Here's what will likely happen when he's drafted: The local paper for the team that drafts him will make a comment on how he has a history. They will run a story. Possibly 2. He may even end up making a statement in a press conference about it. He likely will apologize and say that was years ago and he's grown up a lot since then. 

By August no one will either care or remember because this was all back in April/May.

A year from now we will be discussing the upcoming draft class and how some knucklehead is bound to drop significantly in the NFL draft and someone on here will say that he's not worth the risk in dynasty and we will say, hey Joe Mixon is a great example of someone who was worth the bargain. 

Sure, I could be wrong and there could be massive protests in the streets and people burning effigies demanding that the team cuts him or whatever. But I seriously doubt that. It's old news. If it happened a week ago that's one thing. He could also get into trouble and prove to be not worth the risk. Entirely possible. IMO, a talented player with a history such as Mixon is worth the risk. I do not feel his history is that significant for him professionally a variety of reasons outlined in that particular thread. Not worth debating here. Obviously you feel otherwise and I can respect that. We won't know for a while I suppose. 

My question would be, what would the PR fall out be? What should teams be worried about? By September if that player is performing well, history shows that fans will cheer for them. I guess I don't understand why teams would be so worried about social media and whatever. People find more important things to get their panties in a bundle. They'll get bored fast and move onto the next thing. I don't see this harming a franchise significantly except if it happens again, or if he gets in trouble. And if that happens you cut him and move on and you've only spent a 3-4th round pick on him. 

That's not the only difference. Cooks did not settle, he went to trial and won. Legit to question if he ever hit a women, which he has always maintained he did not.

Mixon and Rice before him both were were and likely will suffer from the bad optics on the video but in both of their situations guilt was never a question. As it pertains to Cook in this instance that's not similar to them at all.

I look forward to the day when we can discuss the fantasy and football potential of Joe Mixon without hearing the same, tired "he punched a woman" crap.

I respectfully disagree. If there was such a backlash with him, why haven't we seen much of it since the video was released? Sure there was some significant fall out from that, but at the end of the day he wasn't found to be criminally at fault in a court of law, thus there is more to this than people realize and details of that would come out with whatever social media or SJW have on the issue (don't get me started on that). 

Steelers makes a great point... Tyreek Hill pushed his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs and I didn't hear that once when he was playing like a freak last season.

Here's what will likely happen when he's drafted: The local paper for the team that drafts him will make a comment on how he has a history. They will run a story. Possibly 2. He may even end up making a statement in a press conference about it. He likely will apologize and say that was years ago and he's grown up a lot since then. 

By August no one will either care or remember because this was all back in April/May.

A year from now we will be discussing the upcoming draft class and how some knucklehead is bound to drop significantly in the NFL draft and someone on here will say that he's not worth the risk in dynasty and we will say, hey Joe Mixon is a great example of someone who was worth the bargain. 

Sure, I could be wrong and there could be massive protests in the streets and people burning effigies demanding that the team cuts him or whatever. But I seriously doubt that. It's old news. If it happened a week ago that's one thing. He could also get into trouble and prove to be not worth the risk. Entirely possible. IMO, a talented player with a history such as Mixon is worth the risk. I do not feel his history is that significant for him professionally a variety of reasons outlined in that particular thread. Not worth debating here. Obviously you feel otherwise and I can respect that. We won't know for a while I suppose. 

My question would be, what would the PR fall out be? What should teams be worried about? By September if that player is performing well, history shows that fans will cheer for them. I guess I don't understand why teams would be so worried about social media and whatever. People find more important things to get their panties in a bundle. They'll get bored fast and move onto the next thing. I don't see this harming a franchise significantly except if it happens again, or if he gets in trouble. And if that happens you cut him and move on and you've only spent a 3-4th round pick on him. 
Tyreek Hill fell to pick 165.

I'm not saying a team shouldn't pick him, I think someone should give him another chance.  I'm just saying at least a few teams won't - and I was curious which teams those might be.

I think you are missing the real risk, the risk is that he has an incident in the NFL and gets suspended. I don't care about the public perception of his past, I care about his ability to stay out of trouble and stay on the field in the NFL

That was the intention of this thread... looks like we can't get past that
Mixon is big, strong, fast, can catch, and he hit a woman like she was a man.

What else do you want to know?

Oh, and his pro day is Wednesday morning.

Because no one but FF geeks care about a guy preparing for the draft in February.  Once mainstream fans and casual observers start paying attention that's going to change. 

You are changing your narrative.  You're talking about the impact on the guy's draft status but then citing what happens once he starts producing like a freak.  No one is claiming he won't get a chance in the NFL, or that he won't be successful once he does.  We're saying that his DRAFT STATUS is highly impacted.  There are a TON of teams that won't draft him at all.

I look forward to the day when we can discuss the fantasy and football potential of Joe Mixon without hearing the same, tired "he punched a woman" crap.
I am way past it. Ready for him to go to a team that will use him and help me win another championship, if I can get him cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread