What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (6 Viewers)

Kinda surprising there hasn't been more news after the off-season reports of a potential holdout. I assume he showed up for TC, and is not holding out at this point?

Three bold Bengals predictions for 2020: Joe Burrow leads AFC North in one key stat, sets rookie TD record

Excerpt:

2. Joe Mixon leads the AFC in rushing

If you watched the Bengals play last year, you may have noticed that they had one of the worst offenses in football, and yet somehow, Mixon still managed to finish the season with the ninth-most rushing yards in the NFL. The running back was one of the few offensive weapons that Cincinnati had last year and although opposing defenses put most of their focus on him, Mixon was still able to rush for 1,137 yards. 

The good news for Mixon is that he shouldn't have to be a one-man show in 2020. The Bengals offense should be much better this season, and there are two reasons for that: 

1. The Bengals are stacked at the wide receiver position.
2. The offensive line has been totally revamped. 

At receiver, the Bengals are returning four players who went over the 500-yard mark last season in Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, Alex Erickson and John Ross. To put that in perspective, the Packers only had one receiver who crossed the 500-yard mark last season. Not only are the Bengals returning a boatload of talent, but they're also adding two guys who weren't on the field last season in A.J. Green and Tee Higgins.

That's a lot of offensive weapons, and theoretically, that should help draw some focus away from Mixon when opposing defenses are trying to stop Cincinnati. The other thing working in Mixon's favor this year is that the Bengals should have a somewhat functional offensive line, which is something they didn't have last year. 

Mixon managed to rush for more than 1,100 yards in 2019 even though the Bengals lost two starters on the line before the season even started. Not only did the team have to deal with the debaclewith Cordy Glenn, but Jonah Williams, the team's first-round pick in 2019, didn't play a single down last season due to a preseason ACL tear. 

For the past two seasons, Mixon has thrived under trying circumstances, and now that the offense is loaded, that should open things up for him, which means it's not too crazy to think that the could hit 1,400 or 1,500 rushing yards in 2020. If he does that, he might not just lead the AFC, but he could end up leading the entire NFL. Mixon's biggest competition for the title of AFC rushing leader is probably going to be Nick Chubb or Derek Henry. With Chubb, he could lose some snaps to Kareem Hunt, who will be on the field for all 16 games this season (He missed half of 2019 due to a suspension). As for Henry, he's going to have to face the wrath of every defense he goes up against because they're all going to be designed to stop him. 

Been trying to sell but nobody wants him in my dynasty league. Hopefully Burrow is the real deal and Mixon takes a deal to stay in Cincy. Otherwise with the influx of talent and FAs at RB he could take a big hit next year if he signs with another team.

ATB said:
If he was holding out, why would he even be at practice?
Due to the new CBA rules, there have been plenty of players essentially having a sit-in.  Show up to practice but don't do anything.

He's been available to me at @12 spot in every mock draft I've done.  Mixon/Kelce 1.12& 2.1 ?  Thoughts?

and what about Mixon v Miles Sanders?  Who wold you prefer and why? 

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been available to me at @12 spot in every mock draft I've done.  Mixon/Kelce 1.12& 2.1 ?  Thoughts?

and what about Mixon v Miles Sanders?  Who wold you prefer and why? 
I’m a fan of having a strong RB base.  I would go with the two backs. 

He's not signing for $8M a year.
Probably right.   That's the number that has been referenced.  Rumors per beat writer is that he wants to be paid within the top 8 backs in the league, and the 8th richest rb salary is at 7.7mil.   I'm assuming it will be north of 8mil but under 12mil.   I normally wouldn't consider it wise to sink that kind of money into rbs, but I think a few are exceptions with Mixon being one of them.   

is the thought he'll get 20+ carries a game like he did the last 7 weeks of the year? kind of an amazing difference pre and post bye for him last year. i dont see him getting more passes with gio still rostered. to take him in the first you have to hope his usage weeks 10-17 continues in 2020 (20+ carries a game).

is the thought he'll get 20+ carries a game like he did the last 7 weeks of the year? kind of an amazing difference pre and post bye for him last year. i dont see him getting more passes with gio still rostered. to take him in the first you have to hope his usage weeks 10-17 continues in 2020 (20+ carries a game).
I think the main bull case for Mixon is just that the team was historically bad last year and if they can improve this year there are points to be had for a talented RB.  And if Burrow hits his upside...

I think the main bull case for Mixon is just that the team was historically bad last year and if they can improve this year there are points to be had for a talented RB.  And if Burrow hits his upside...
it would be nice if he were involved in the passing game more. it just seems like best case he's a low end rb1 which i guess matches his ADP, but i dont see a path for him to become a top 5 rb without being a factor in the passing game.

Joe Mixon rushed for 69 scoreless yards on 19 carries and caught 1-of-2 targets in the Bengals' Week 1 loss to the Chargers.

Mixon will have better weeks moving forward against weaker defensive competition, but it's concerning that Mixon wasn't involved in the passing game. Despite a massive four-year, $48 million extension, Giovani Bernard stole snaps from Mixon on clear passing downs. Mixon will need to run hot in the touchdown department if his 5.5% target share from Week 1 continues. Next week, Mixon will head to Cleveland as a low-end RB1. Hopefully he sees more receiving work then.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazes me that they roll Gio out there for pass catching work, when they paid Mixon as a workhorse and he can be great in that phase of the game too. You'd think Gio was some incredible receiving back the way they defer to him. He's fine, but this is idiotic. 
It’s the Bengals.   

Line still awful and Gio inexplicably taking receiving work. Not sure why they paid him to be honest. Hopefully there's a resurgence in the second half like last year because right now he looks like a shaky RB2.

Not the only bust so far.  My lineup is a bust.  Mixon.  A Jones, Conner, A Brown.  Jeez.  My first 4 picks and I'm ready to fade the season already.  Good thing I can still play golf.  LOL

The Bungles O and D lines both look putrid......the game scripts are going to favor Gio, and empty back sets.......and there's just no room to run

Playing Gio over him is kinda baffling to me. Gio dropped a pass, and whiffed on a block that got Burrow crushed. He seems to do nothing better than Mixon.

On the plus side, he has 40 touches through 2 weeks. I think he'll turn it on later in the season as the OL gels, but he's a tough play until then. 

Mixon will be gold, they found something with that drive or two using him as a pass catcher.  10 days off, schedule is going to lighten up and Burrow is going to keep defenses honest.  Great buy low.

Mixon will be gold, they found something with that drive or two using him as a pass catcher.  10 days off, schedule is going to lighten up and Burrow is going to keep defenses honest.  Great buy low.
I hope ur right, cuz looking at those two teams last night, the talent gap was huge.....if Mixon can get garbage time, that'd be awesome, cuz I can see 15 rushes for 68 yards or whatever as his common stat line, if he doesn't.

Went into the draft reminding myself that Mixon was unplayable for the first 8 weeks last year, and by the time he got things turned around you were probably too gunshy to put him in your lineup.

But of course he fell to me, and I took him.

I guess the alternatives (Carson, only 6 carries week 1; Conner, injured) aren't looking that hot either.

I hope ur right, cuz looking at those two teams last night, the talent gap was huge.....if Mixon can get garbage time, that'd be awesome, cuz I can see 15 rushes for 68 yards or whatever as his common stat line, if he doesn't.
If you're counting on 15/68, then don't go look at his gamelog from last year.  He had some of those, but also games with 10, 17, 10, and 2 rushing yards.

I felt really good when they threw the 3 or 4 passes to him on that one drive. I don’t know why that didn’t continue.  Joe Burrow is looking good and will get better and better. If Mixon scores or gets a couple more catches people would be feeling good today. Burrow will put them in plenty of scoring situations and should keep them in more games. I

The offensive line is putrid. I think’ Mixon will get his numbers but It’s gonna be ugly. If Gio goes away he could still return first round value with catches. It’s not looking good now but every year there is panic at this time and every year the cream rises to the top. I’ve lowered expectations. I would suggest just don’t watch him play. 

Users who are viewing this thread