What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (2 Viewers)

Good time. But laser timed at the combine probably about the same as Cook and Fournette.
While true, it hardly matters.  People are going to print 4.39 and dynasty monkey are going to remember 4.39 on draft day.  His price just went waaaaaay up.  I have had him #2 on my list from day one and he's going to be in consideration for 1.01 in a lot of leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be looking to get him at 1.04, if he's there. He's passing the sniff test for me. 
Right there with you on this one.  If he's sitting at 4 (and in a good situation like Packers or Indy or similar), that's something to really think about. 

Don't know if Perine is going to run the 40 but if he does how he runs will actually make me take a second look at Mixons vs the field. Meaning if it's considerably faster than what he ran a few days ago in Indy I'll conclude the OU track is faster.
Dede Westbrook ran a 4.34, so it could be a fast track.

Mixon Pro Day:

40 yard dash - 4.43

Verticle - 35 inches

Broad - 9-10

20 yard shuttle - 4.25

3 cone - 7.00

Bench - 21 reps

Mixon Pro Day:

40 yard dash - 4.43

Verticle - 35 inches

Broad - 9-10

20 yard shuttle - 4.25

3 cone - 7.00

Bench - 21 reps
At 6'1"/228 lbs/10.25" hands, he is the prototype every-down NFL back, physically at least. Great hands, elusive, tough at the point of contact, very good long speed, great size, good balance, vision, can line up as a WR, and has fresh legs. Whatever team can weather the PR storm is going to have an every down starting RB for a fraction of the cost of what he is worth from a production standpoint.  Talent wise, I think he's the best PPR back this year by quite a bit.  The history is going to hurt his NFL draft stock for sure, but that doesn't matter in fantasy football. Production matters and this guy has an elite skillset.

I'd have a hard time picking between Mixon and Fournette right now. Both studs. Mixon is going to be heavily involved in the passing game but comes with significantly more off the field risk.  

Today showed though that he's an elite athlete to go along with that great tape. 

At #1 overall you mean?  I'm hoping (and kinda thinking) that Mixon will fall to #4 at least, if not more. 
Yeah but that was with the first set of numbers that were put out. A 4.50 is still not a bad time but if he ran a 4.39 at nearly 230 that changes things for me. 

The problem is, and I'm guilty of it as well, his off the field risk is not being factored in enough.

He's a top 3 prospect for me though....maybe the #1 prospect at this point.  

At #1 overall you mean?  I'm hoping (and kinda thinking) that Mixon will fall to #4 at least, if not more. 
I think it will now depend on what happens in the NFL draft. If he goes late first/early second into a good situation he could pass Cook and the WRs, and perhaps even Fournette.

I think it will now depend on what happens in the NFL draft. If he goes late first/early second into a good situation he could pass Cook and the WRs, and perhaps even Fournette.
I can't see that last part, personally.  Of course that depends on where they all land.  Anyone done a "post combine, but pre NFL draft" rookie ranking?

I can't see that last part, personally.  Of course that depends on where they all land.  Anyone done a "post combine, but pre NFL draft" rookie ranking?
I wouldn't, but I could see it happen. Say Fournette ends up in Jacksonville and Mixon goes in the first to the Colts (although that's unlikely - but he could fall to round two).

I wouldn't, but I could see it happen. Say Fournette ends up in Jacksonville and Mixon goes in the first to the Colts (although that's unlikely - but he could fall to round two).
Well, no chance Jacksonville does that after drafting Yeldon high and signing Ivory to that pretty big deal last year - but I see your point.  Like I said, depends on where they land. 

Well, no chance Jacksonville does that after drafting Yeldon high and signing Ivory to that pretty big deal last year - but I see your point.  Like I said, depends on where they land. 
Yeldon was a 2nd rounder and NFL contracts don't mean much. Those reasons don't preclude Fournette to Jacksonville. 

Yeldon was a 2nd rounder and NFL contracts don't mean much. Those reasons don't preclude Fournette to Jacksonville. 
especially with a new regime on board. I could certainly see Coughlin/Marrone opting for adding a big power back. Yeldon looks like a backup level player to me and the team could probably get out of Ivory's contract without too much pain.

I don't see them taking a RB at #4 but it wouldn't shock me.

matttyl said:
I haven't changed my top 3 - Cook, Mixon, Fournette.

Yeldon looks good to me. Looked as good to me his rookie season as Derrick Henry who everyone is going crazy about and at one point he gotten up into top 5 range for some people on dynasty rankings until the Ivory signing burst his bubble  But he struggles to stay healthy. Despite his solid size, was up to 226 last I heard, I do not consider him a backup, but not really a feature back either. His best role is likely similar to what he was at Bama, a 1B kind of guy and evolving into a 50 reception guy in year two adds a lot of value to him in this kind of role because he's not a very good goal line runner so not a high TD kind of guy.

I thought the Ivory signing was bad but the very rare times he and or both he and Yeldon were healthy they actually looked like a pretty good duo.

Yes hey could just cut bait on Ivory but his contract is guaranteed for $3M this year so unless he's not good enough to make the 53 no reason to cut him.

I don't view RB as a need for the Jags, did not for the Rams when they took Gurley either so anything is possible but I'll be shocked if they address RB in round 1.

His workout is as expected so it doesn't change anything.  I want to know more about his interviews and intangibles.

I was really excited to snag him at 1.03 as I prefer him to Cook/Fournette.  A bit worried he might go before then

I'm seeing official 3 cone was 7.10......that's not special......It's not a death sentence but after all the official numbers came out I'm not as in love with him as I was when they first came out. I def take Fournette in front of him........

a little perspective here......David Johnson ran the 3 cone in 6.82........

I'm seeing official 3 cone was 7.10......that's not special......It's not a death sentence but after all the official numbers came out I'm not as in love with him as I was when they first came out. I def take Fournette in front of him........

Adrian Peterson's 3 cone was 7.09.

I'm not sure how valuable that drill is. I don't think it really says much about functional quickness/elusiveness on the football field.

And McCaffrey ran it in 6.57. 

Yeah AP was more of a power back but that's a good point. Still AP was faster and had better jumps so I'd say it's safe to say he was more explosive. I like to see numbers on the 3 cone like DJ's and Bell's if I'm going to go all in. Bell ran his 3 cone in 6.75 at 240ish....then dropped 20 pounds so who knows where he is at now. Still I take notice when a big RB runs a sub seven 3 cone.....

his broad jump. vertical and 3cone were all average.......even his 40 time was .....well average.. give him a discount because he is heavier.

I love his tape though

problem is he is lawernece Philips off the field.

Adrian Peterson's 3 cone was 7.09.

I'm not sure how valuable that drill is. I don't think it really says much about functional quickness/elusiveness on the football field.
Leveon Bell, who was slower than he likely is now, threw down a 6.75.

I think the drill is very important and do think it measures quickness and change of direction but no single drill is the end all or be all. I tend to focus on RB's on the 40, jumps, 3 cone and 10 yard sprint when you can find it. If you stink in all 4 I'm done with you, think Kadeem Carey, Stepfan Taylor, Alex Collins.  In fact I recall saying how those guys would not be any good because of the combine and they'd always start pointing out RB's who did not run fast 40's but the 40 time was never the single issue I had with any them, it was the total lack of positive athletic traits.

For me I just need to see some positive traits, don't need you to be good at everything or great at something. And Mixon sure does not look like it, looks leaner, so it's easy to forget he's a solid 228 so that's a good bit heavier than the other upper echelon RB's other than Fournette.

his broad jump. vertical and 3cone were all average.......even his 40 time was .....well average.. give him a discount because he is heavier.

I love his tape though

I agree with a lot of that....I mean his vert was a little better than average and even a 4.5 at 230 is plenty fast enough. Love his skills in the passing game and yes it can't be stated enough he's a huge off the field risk.....

Leveon Bell, who was slower than he likely is now, threw down a 6.75.

I think the drill is very important and do think it measures quickness and change of direction but no single drill is the end all or be all. I tend to focus on RB's on the 40, jumps, 3 cone and 10 yard sprint when you can find it. If you stink in all 4 I'm done with you, think Kadeem Carey, Stepfan Taylor, Alex Collins.  In fact I recall saying how those guys would not be any good because of the combine and they'd always start pointing out RB's who did not run fast 40's but the 40 time was never the single issue I had with any them, it was the total lack of positive athletic traits.

For me I just need to see some positive traits, don't need you to be good at everything or great at something. And Mixon sure does not look like it, looks leaner, so it's easy to forget he's a solid 228 so that's a good bit heavier than the other upper echelon RB's other than Fournette.
Good post.......3 cone's are legit......

What he did was bad, but no it was this bad: 1 Phillips broke into backup quarterback Scott Frost's apartment by climbing the outside of the building to the third floor and entering through some sliding doors. He then assaulted basketball player Kate McEwen. Phillips dragged McEwen out of the apartment by the hair and down three flights of stairs before smashing her head into a mailbox.

Yeah AP was more of a power back but that's a good point. Still AP was faster and had better jumps so I'd say it's safe to say he was more explosive. I like to see numbers on the 3 cone like DJ's and Bell's if I'm going to go all in. Bell ran his 3 cone in 6.75 at 240ish....then dropped 20 pounds so who knows where he is at now. Still I take notice when a big RB runs a sub seven 3 cone.....
I think people kind of misunderstand what type of athlete AP is/was. He's jacked compared with the average human and he's really cut, so he looks muscular, but from a height/weight standpoint he's actually more of a lean-framed speed back than a rugged power back. 6'1.5" 217 pounds (28.1 BMI) with 4.41 speed and phenomenal explosiveness in the jumps (38.5" vertical / 10'7" broad jump). He's big and strong enough to run hard, but for me what made him a star was his explosive qualities. Not many backs have the elusiveness, footwork, and speed that he had in his prime. That's why the Fournette comparison really doesn't work for me. Whether you like Fournette or not, he and Peterson are not alike in terms of body type and running style.

As for Mixon, his combine numbers aren't great, but I think they're good when you look at the total package. I don't have an exact number on his height, but what I've seen says he's about 6'1 1/8" and 228 pounds. So we're talking about a guy who's not only slightly shorter than AP, but also ten pounds heavier. With that being the case, his 4.50 time starts to look pretty decent. You'd like to see a better broad jump, but the vert is acceptable.

Ultimately, the backs that I'd compare Mixon to in terms of NFL impact are LeVeon Bell and Zeke Elliott. Neither one of those guys really crushed the combine either. They excel by being versatile and generally athletic, but they're not elite in any one category. I think Mixon is a similar type of package.

I think people kind of misunderstand what type of athlete AP is/was. He's jacked compared with the average human and he's really cut, so he looks muscular, but from a height/weight standpoint he's actually more of a lean-framed speed back than a rugged power back. 6'1.5" 217 pounds (28.1 BMI) with 4.41 speed and phenomenal explosiveness in the jumps (38.5" vertical / 10'7" broad jump). He's big and strong enough to run hard, but for me what made him a star was his explosive qualities. Not many backs have the elusiveness, footwork, and speed that he had in his prime. That's why the Fournette comparison really doesn't work for me. Whether you like Fournette or not, he and Peterson are not alike in terms of body type and running style.

As for Mixon, his combine numbers aren't great, but I think they're good when you look at the total package. I don't have an exact number on his height, but what I've seen says he's about 6'1 1/8" and 228 pounds. So we're talking about a guy who's not only slightly shorter than AP, but also ten pounds heavier. With that being the case, his 4.50 time starts to look pretty decent. You'd like to see a better broad jump, but the vert is acceptable.

Ultimately, the backs that I'd compare Mixon to in terms of NFL impact are LeVeon Bell and Zeke Elliott. Neither one of those guys really crushed the combine either. They excel by being versatile and generally athletic, but they're not elite in any one category. I think Mixon is a similar type of package.
LeVeons 3 cone is insane,especially for his size at the time.

Man people are really looking for stuff to get over the top excited about this year.

Fournette checks in overweight and all anyone cares about is that his slowish 40 time was fast for a guy that big even though he never actually played at that weight.

McCaffrey does awesome at a bunch of drills that no one usually cares about and all of the sudden they are the most important thing even though the comps people keep throwing out for him all ran 4.3x's while McCaffrey barely broke the 4.5 barrier in the drill that they actually care about.

Now Mixon puts up pretty average numbers across the board and people act like he just finished 1st in every drill.  That time was the 10th best among RBs this year!  And in that other drill he finished 8th among RBs this year!  And then in that other one he was 11th!  Amazing!

They all checked the boxes for "good enough to not be a hindrance".  But the crazy excitement (I don't think I'll be able to get this guy at 1.02 now that he finished 10th in combine drills!) is weird.

LeVeons 3 cone is insane,especially for his size at the time.
And his other drills were pretty bad. No one test is going to tell you everything. Look at the whole picture.

Does Mixon have enough athletic ability to be an elite NFL back? No doubt in my mind.

His 3 cone time was within 0.05 seconds of Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson.

And his other drills were pretty bad. No one test is going to tell you everything. Look at the whole picture.

Does Mixon have enough athletic ability to be an elite NFL back? No doubt in my mind.

not saying he wont be, if he had a clean record hed probably be a first round nfl pick. hes a top 8 dynasty pick this year probably regardless of round, higher than that even, probably 6/7 pick

Yeah but Bell was overweight.......So all his jumps and 40 yard dash would have been a little better at 220. I'm not sure by how much but it would have been noticeable.....Then that 3 cone was insane. Mixon isn't going to lose 20 pounds.....those are his numbers. So average/good explosiveness and good speed........ 4.5 is fast at 230.

Man people are really looking for stuff to get over the top excited about this year.

Fournette checks in overweight and all anyone cares about is that his slowish 40 time was fast for a guy that big even though he never actually played at that weight.

McCaffrey does awesome at a bunch of drills that no one usually cares about and all of the sudden they are the most important thing even though the comps people keep throwing out for him all ran 4.3x's while McCaffrey barely broke the 4.5 barrier in the drill that they actually care about.

Now Mixon puts up pretty average numbers across the board and people act like he just finished 1st in every drill.  That time was the 10th best among RBs this year!  And in that other drill he finished 8th among RBs this year!  And then in that other one he was 11th!  Amazing!
Can you say with 100% accuracy that you know Fournette never played at that weight and second part do how you know he is overweight at 240? Because I don't think either of those things are true but I can't prove it either.

McCaffrey did not do well at drills no one usually does cares less about. He excelled in the very exact drills I care about for RB's and went ahead and dominated pass catching drills as well. And with him all we were looking for is confirmation that he was athletic. Confirmed.

Mixon just turned in workout numbers pretty much on par with Elliots.  Sure he won't land as well, but works for me.

Dalvin Cook is another matter, which is why going back to many of our discussions I never assumed the top two of drafts would was some kind of Fournette/Cook lock.

They all checked the boxes for "good enough to not be a hindrance".  But the crazy excitement (I don't think I'll be able to get this guy at 1.02 now that he finished 10th in combine drills!) is weird.
I kind of agree here, the joy for the MIxon workout seems to be kinda bizarre.

then again its the underwear Olympics......

Users who are viewing this thread