What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

As one voicing "joy,", I'm not necessarily impressed by the numbers, but I was sold on Mixon long before today.  Just excited to get one step closer to the draft and see where these guys wind up

Not Mixon yet but than again I think he's 3 years younger than DJ when he came out.
Ball skills wise Mixon might be able to match DJ but athletically he never will. 

DJ had an all time insane combine

Vert - 41.5 

BJ - 127 inches

3 cone - 6.82

40- 4.50

Bench- 25 reps

All at 6'0 and 225 

There is no other DJ in the league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Man people are really looking for stuff to get over the top excited about this year.

Fournette checks in overweight and all anyone cares about is that his slowish 40 time was fast for a guy that big even though he never actually played at that weight.

McCaffrey does awesome at a bunch of drills that no one usually cares about and all of the sudden they are the most important thing even though the comps people keep throwing out for him all ran 4.3x's while McCaffrey barely broke the 4.5 barrier in the drill that they actually care about.

Now Mixon puts up pretty average numbers across the board and people act like he just finished 1st in every drill.  That time was the 10th best among RBs this year!  And in that other drill he finished 8th among RBs this year!  And then in that other one he was 11th!  Amazing!

They all checked the boxes for "good enough to not be a hindrance".  But the crazy excitement (I don't think I'll be able to get this guy at 1.02 now that he finished 10th in combine drills!) is weird.
Does every thread dealing with a rookie RB also have to include some random undying devotion to Christian McCaffrey at this point despite his diminutive size and average speed for a 202 lb back? Seriously.  Can someone please tell me all of the 5'11" / 202 lb RBs who run 4.5 in the NFL who are starting so I can get excited about the guy?  I really can't find one example in recent memory.  His height/weight are very similar to J Charles, Chris Johnson, and Jahvid Best but he lacks their speed, in and out of pads. McC will get murdered as a RB in the NFL which is why he was asked by a couple of GMs at the combine if he would be open to a position change.  I'm pretty sure 225+ lb backs don't have to consider that.  But whatever....I guess there can never be enough discussion about McCaffrey....

Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon visited the Raiders on Monday, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.
It is unclear if this counts as one of the Raiders' 30 allotted visits, as Mixon is from the Bay Area. Mixon previously visited the Broncos and the Bengals. More teams will host the talented running back, and an even larger number will visit Oklahoma's campus. Mixon was not invited to the NFL Combine, so these meetings will be important in gauging a team's comfort with Mixon on a personal level.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 
Mar 21 - 10:33 AM

I will be very interested, once rookie drafts start, as to where Mixon falls.  And wonder if we'll see him go in a particular range (5-7, for example) just because people see ADP listings of where he goes and start to draft him there because "everyone else is doin' it".

I'll chalk this up to "everyone doing due diligence" and hold off on the "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

for now.
Maybe but it counts towards one of their 30 visits thing? It also ties up people who are likely strapped for time right now too. 

Not to "lock in Mixon to the Bengals" but it at least let's you know he not in their Do Not Draft list. 

Maybe but it counts towards one of their 30 visits thing? It also ties up people who are likely strapped for time right now too. 

Not to "lock in Mixon to the Bengals" but it at least let's you know he not in their Do Not Draft list. 
I think Hank is a Steelers' fan and probably doesn't want a guy he likes going to a rival team.

I think Hank is a Steelers' Stealers fan and probably doesn't want a guy he likes going to a rival team.
You shut your dirty mouth.  And fixed.

I'm a Raiders fan, but love Mixon and don't want him going to a team that's going to ruin him in a committee of epic proportions.

Super interesting that Raiders hosted him, think I read they interviewed him previously. 

Interesting because the team has a pretty strong stance regarding domestic violence going back to Fred Biletnikoff's daughter being murdered by her boyfriend (husband maybe?).

There are people who follow the team who say he is not on their board.

Super interesting that Raiders hosted him, think I read they interviewed him previously. 

Interesting because the team has a pretty strong stance regarding domestic violence going back to Fred Biletnikoff's daughter being murdered by her boyfriend (husband maybe?).

There are people who follow the team who say he is not on their board.
This wasn't domestic violence.

What Mixon did wasn't technically domestic violence, so maybe that's the line they are taking?  Still seems pretty close to home to me but hey, as long as it doesn't alienate FB I say go for it.

This wasn't domestic violence.
Agreed, and I almost made that point.

I hope Mixon is a good person, that had a moment of stupidity one night, and if he was there in the 2nd, I would have no problem if my boys took him.

At the same time, if the team decides to take him off the board, I support that.

Agreed, and I almost made that point.

I hope Mixon is a good person, that had a moment of stupidity one night, and if he was there in the 2nd, I would have no problem if my boys took him.

At the same time, if the team decides to take him off the board, I support that.
It's physically assaulting a woman. Whether they are in a relationship is a almost meaningless difference when it comes to this and that video. 

I agree 100% about hopefully him being a good kid that just had that one bad moment.

If I was to be a owner that drafts him, I'd want him to be involved in a strong PR program. Have him donate X amount to money to a women's charity and volunteer at a homeless shelter or a charity that isn't about kids or women. Then have the team release (or leak) statements about him doing these things. When reporters grill him he continues with his current statements but adds in "I did something horrible and nothing I do will ever change that. I need to be a better person and hope to do everything I can to bring as positives as can to the people and the community as I can." 

The relevant point is that Fred Biletnikoff's daughter was murdered by her then-boyfriend.  Al took (and Mark has followed suit) a hard stance against domestic violence out of respect for an all-time Raider family member.  The difference may or may not be meaningless to Fred, and that's the only one that matters in this context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be just doing their due diligence on him, getting his side of the story, or whatever. There is also a school of thought that some teams interview players they have no intention of drafting just for smoke screen reasons. :tinfoilhat:

I would imagine a lot of teams would bring this guy in.  He's very intriguing. 

He has 1st round talent and a past incident that has dropped him down the draft board. Teams want to see what his side is and make a decision for themselves, not based off of what they read/hear in the media. 

He has potential to be the steal of the draft IMO, so I would be disappointed in my team wasn't doing their due diligence on him

thatguy said:
So much for the notion that the Raiders wouldn't even consider Mixon given what happened to Biletnikoff's daughter. Using one of they're 30 visits for him certainly suggests they're open to drafting him. 
Because he's a local guy, it may not count toward official visits.

If they draft him, you can say so much for the notion. They might just want someone to draft him before 24.

Because he's a local guy, it may not count toward official visits.

If they draft him, you can say so much for the notion. They might just want someone to draft him before 24.
Got ya. I actually deleted my post because I saw that it already been discussed earlier in the thread.

Thunderlips said:
I can't get away from the idea (maybe there's non video evidence to the contrary) that she assaulted him first.  I don't like that.  
Video

Well get away from the idea. She walks in with some other dude. He comes in after, walks directly up to her some words are exchanged as he is standing at the table she's at. He turns to leave and then turns back as she comes over to him. She pushes him, he fakes a punch, he swats his neck then he punches her. 

Regardless of what happens, he at some point decide to follow her into the restaurant. He could've walked away just before she pushed him. Her push and slap are that of a small child to him. So there's no "I was worried for my life" claim. He doesn't even attempt to block her push or slap. He makes zero attempt to restrain her before he throws that punch. Then he takes off. It not like you see him be like "Oh god. What did I do?" and check to see if she is okay. 

I'm not in the camp of "he should burn and be punished forever" but let's be honest with what happened. If the same thing happened but they were gay guys and the victim was the same size and strength as that girl, this video would still be really bad. 

Video

Well get away from the idea. She walks in with some other dude. He comes in after, walks directly up to her some words are exchanged as he is standing at the table she's at. He turns to leave and then turns back as she comes over to him. She pushes him, he fakes a punch, he swats his neck then he punches her. 

Regardless of what happens, he at some point decide to follow her into the restaurant. He could've walked away just before she pushed him. Her push and slap are that of a small child to him. So there's no "I was worried for my life" claim. He doesn't even attempt to block her push or slap. He makes zero attempt to restrain her before he throws that punch. Then he takes off. It not like you see him be like "Oh god. What did I do?" and check to see if she is okay. 

I'm not in the camp of "he should burn and be punished forever" but let's be honest with what happened. If the same thing happened but they were gay guys and the victim was the same size and strength as that girl, this video would still be really bad. 
This has been discussed ad nauseam in the other thread. Not worth rehashing or debating here. You'll see what you want to see and hold the opinion yuo want to hold with regard to that video. 

Seems many NFL teams aren't worried about it (some are, and that's their prerogative). Neither should we unless he shows signs of being a troublemaker. 

Video

Watching the video for the first time today brought me to this thread.  I've been casually paying attention , but after hearing the discussion about it in the Eagles thread....I went and looked at it.  As I said in that thread....I was expecting a lot worse.  

And I  disagree with you on the last point...as I think most men would agree with the idea that if it were a man (gay or not) hitting him....they'd agree that Mixon would have a right to defend himself and(more importantly) that the man hitting him should KNOW that and have weighed the consequences of hitting another man before he decided to hit Mixon.

Watching the video for the first time today brought me to this thread.  I've been casually paying attention , but after hearing the discussion about it in the Eagles thread....I went and looked at it.  As I said in that thread....I was expecting a lot worse.  

And I  disagree with you on the last point...as I think most men would agree with the idea that if it were a man (gay or not) hitting him....they'd agree that Mixon would have a right to defend himself and(more importantly) that the man hitting him should KNOW that and have weighed the consequences of hitting another man before he decided to hit Mixon.
She clearly posed no threat to him. And he instigated the situation when he went into the building and directly to her. It's not like she ran up and started pushing him. This "defending himself" is so weak.

If that was some small guy he goes directly over to him restaurant, stands at little guys table, starts an "unpleasant" conversation, the little guy has enough and pushes Mixon. Mixon fakes throwing a punch and small guy throws a weak half slap. The slap only comes after he faints a punch. This isn't Mixon defending himself. Is pushing someone the right thing to do? No but Mixon is the problem in the situation. If Mixon is standing there just hanging out and little guy comes up and pushes him then yes it's a different story. That's not the case here though.

The only reason I brought up the gay thing was because it apparently had something to do with flirting/hitting on/whatever. 

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the other thread. Not worth rehashing or debating here. You'll see what you want to see and hold the opinion yuo want to hold with regard to that video. 

Seems many NFL teams aren't worried about it (some are, and that's their prerogative). Neither should we unless he shows signs of being a troublemaker. 
Sorry. I didn't see the other thread. *Guessing you're talking about the Philly thread* I wasn't planning on discussing it here. I will refrain from filling another thread with though and not keep the replies flowing.

It's amazing how those "official numbers" differ from the actual official numbers. It still shows a 4.43 on the Sooners site.  Thanks though.
It's not really surprising.

Every scout there is using the number they got personally, not some number the college announced. There's nothing official about pro day numbers, nothing is electronic.

He won't get drafted by a big market team. Plain and simple. The size of the market is what matters to the NFL. The last thing the NFL wants is the Mixon video getting played over and over again post draft, in the preseason and at the start of the season in NYC, Boston, Philly, Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, LA. 

Users who are viewing this thread