What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chainsaw Redemption (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Any lumberjacks here who know things about chainsaws?   I have a Husqvarna 440, 18" bar I bought from Lowes a couple of months ago.  My first and last.  

Worked fine for first cut.  Small trees/limbs... cleared some bushes from the house.  

Now, when I disengage the chain break arm (pull back the arm to put in cutting mode), the chain begins spinning on its own.  Normally, you'd have to squeeze the gas to engage the chain.  This doesn't seem right to me.  And when I do squeeze the gas, it speeds up but when I release the gas it chokes and cuts off. 

Any ideas?  

Thanks in advance.  

Love my  Husqvarna

Sounds like the carb needs slight adjusment and/or the fuel mix is too rich

Any lumberjacks here who know things about chainsaws?   I have a Husqvarna 440, 18" bar I bought from Lowes a couple of months ago.  My first and last.  

Worked fine for first cut.  Small trees/limbs... cleared some bushes from the house.  

Now, when I disengage the chain break arm (pull back the arm to put in cutting mode), the chain begins spinning on its own.  Normally, you'd have to squeeze the gas to engage the chain.  This doesn't seem right to me.  And when I do squeeze the gas, it speeds up but when I release the gas it chokes and cuts off. 

Any ideas?  

Thanks in advance.  
Sounds like the idle is set too high.

Also (but less likely) it could be the float in the carburetor is stuck, allowing too much fuel into the carb. This could cause the high idle and could cause the engine to  stall out from flooding when you release the throttle. Do you have to choke it to start it or does this model have an "automatic" choke?

Sounds like the idle is set too high.

Also (but less likely) it could be the float in the carburetor is stuck, allowing too much fuel into the carb. This could cause the high idle and could cause the engine to  stall out from flooding when you release the throttle. Do you have to choke it to start it or does this model have an "automatic" choke?
Thanks for your input.  I have to choke it to start it.  I'm going to adjust the idle first to see.  I thought it was idling too low yesterday.  With brake engaged the idle seems weak even when I give it gas.  When I move the break arm back to the handle bar, the chain spins and idle gets higher.. or doesn't sound as weak when I squeeze the gas button.  

It also sounds like the clutch is always engaged (causing the chain to turn when break stop is released).  

Thanks for your input.  I have to choke it to start it.  I'm going to adjust the idle first to see.  I thought it was idling too low yesterday.  With brake engaged the idle seems weak even when I give it gas.  When I move the break arm back to the handle bar, the chain spins and idle gets higher.. or doesn't sound as weak when I squeeze the gas button.  

It also sounds like the clutch is always engaged (causing the chain to turn when break stop is released).  
Most chainsaws use a centrifugal (centripetal ?)  clutch, so they lock up at a certain RPM.

You recommend adjusting the idle lower?  
Id get it fully warmed up before I adjusted anything.  Once its warmed up, release the brake & lower the idle (turn the idle screw in, or clockwise) till the chain stops spinning. Count the quarter turns you make of the screw so you can return it to where it was in case you find you improved to the point of being a doorstop. ;)  

Make sure your air filter is clean before you do anything to the carb.  A partially clogged air filter will artificially give you a rich fuel mixture and could be a part of the problem.

Make sure your air filter is clean before you do anything to the carb.  A partially clogged air filter will artificially give you a rich fuel mixture and could be a part of the problem.
Always a good practice to check all maintenance items. Since he only used in once, I doubt this is the issue, but it never hurts to check.

PLEASE tell me you drained the fuel tank before letting it sit. Also, if you can get ethanol free fuel DO IT!  Most of the 2 stroke oils have stabilizer in them, but ethanol eats up fuel lines. 

Now it won't start.  

This chainsaw has less than two hours total operating time.  Seems the air filter should be fine.  I've had it for about 4 months so can't return it.  

The gas I put in it is from Husqvarna and is pre-mixed for that brand of saw.  

Now it won't start.  

This chainsaw has less than two hours total operating time.  Seems the air filter should be fine.  I've had it for about 4 months so can't return it.  

The gas I put in it is from Husqvarna and is pre-mixed for that brand of saw.  
Before or after adjustments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before or after adjustments?
before.  It started and idled yesterday.  Today all I did was tighten the chain a little.  With chain brake engaged it won't do anything.  When I disengage the brake it will start but when I give it a little gas and let go, it conks out.  Chain still spins when brake it off.  

Another note... there is always fuel in the primer bulb.  Is that normal?  figured it may be floaded.. I don't know. 

Fuel in the primer bulb is normal. From what you describe, I'm beginning to suspect that you have a sticky clutch.

Try starting it. Then if it wont start, pull the spark plug. Is it wet or dry? What color is the electrode? DO NOT try to start it with ether (aka starting fluid).

Well, I took a chance and took it back to Lowe's and they let me return it for full refund.  I bought it in October but didn't open the box until around Thanksgiving when I needed to use it.  Even though it was outside the return policy, they took it back.  Thumbs up for Lowe's customer service.  

Thank you, BowieMercs, for your insight and help.  

For occasional chainsaw use, renting is not a bad option. Or if your cutting needs are small, an electric chainsaw always starts. 

For occasional chainsaw use, renting is not a bad option. Or if your cutting needs are small, an electric chainsaw always starts. 
Good point.  I do have an electric chainsaw I've used in the past.  Only problem I really had with it was the chain kept having to be adjusted and it was a pain.  I bought this saw because of some larger landscaping projects my wife wanted to do.  I believe I can finish my current project with my electric chainsaw.

If I ever get back into the market for a new one, I am weary of Husky...  will probably took towards the Stihl line.  Or elsewhere.  

On the other hand, I do have a Husky lawn tractor and it's been fine for the two summers I've had it.  I may have just gotten a lemon.  

Good point.  I do have an electric chainsaw I've used in the past.  Only problem I really had with it was the chain kept having to be adjusted and it was a pain.  I bought this saw because of some larger landscaping projects my wife wanted to do.  I believe I can finish my current project with my electric chainsaw.

If I ever get back into the market for a new one, I am weary of Husky...  will probably took towards the Stihl line.  Or elsewhere.  

On the other hand, I do have a Husky lawn tractor and it's been fine for the two summers I've had it.  I may have just gotten a lemon.  
Can't go wrong with Stihl, but any chainsaw will give you fits if its used sparingly and stored with fuel in the carb

Can't go wrong with Stihl, but any chainsaw will give you fits if its used sparingly and stored with fuel in the carb
I hear that and you mentioned it earlier up thread.  If it's going to sit for a month or so in your garage, can you just drain the tank or is there something else I should do to remove fuel from the carb?

I hear that and you mentioned it earlier up thread.  If it's going to sit for a month or so in your garage, can you just drain the tank or is there something else I should do to remove fuel from the carb?
Get it running... shut it off. Drain the tank, start it and let it run till it stops from lack of fuel.

Great advice.. thanks!   I didn't realize letting the fuel sit in the tank would be that harmful.  
Its  the fuel lines & the carburetor that suffer. The tank itself is impervious. The carb can gum up & the fuel lines deteriorate. This also encourages you to use fresh fuel every time you use the saw. Only mix what you need from fresh gas (unless you buy the sealed cans of premixed fuel).

Its  the fuel lines & the carburetor that suffer. The tank itself is impervious. The carb can gum up & the fuel lines deteriorate. This also encourages you to use fresh fuel every time you use the saw. Only mix what you need from fresh gas (unless you buy the sealed cans of premixed fuel).
:thumbup:    With this saw I've only used the premixed canned fuel.  

I do have a few gallons of gas in my storage shed that I stocked last fall when I ran my generator for a few days after the hurricane.  I hope it's fine to use with my lawn mower this spring.  And if The Walking Dead has taught me anything, it's gas doesn't go bad... so i'm optimistic it will be fine when I need it.  

Well, I took a chance and took it back to Lowe's and they let me return it for full refund.  I bought it in October but didn't open the box until around Thanksgiving when I needed to use it.  Even though it was outside the return policy, they took it back.  Thumbs up for Lowe's customer service.  

Thank you, BowieMercs, for your insight and help.  
WTF?

:thumbup:    With this saw I've only used the premixed canned fuel.  

I do have a few gallons of gas in my storage shed that I stocked last fall when I ran my generator for a few days after the hurricane.  I hope it's fine to use with my lawn mower this spring.  And if The Walking Dead has taught me anything, it's gas doesn't go bad... so i'm optimistic it will be fine when I need it.  
drop stabil into any tank

I run out all my stuff end of season(s) - chainsaw, lawnmower, snow thrower etc

in all seriousness - I was going to suggest Lowes but knew there policy was like only 30 days for that stuff.  Glad they took it back :)

in all seriousness - I was going to suggest Lowes but knew there policy was like only 30 days for that stuff.  Glad they took it back :)
I was surprised too.  But figured I'd give it a shot when I was on my way to throw it in the river.  $299 for a chainsaw that gave me about an hour and 45 minutes of operation.  

I had a Husqvarna and had a miserable experience with it.  Consider yourself lucky you got your money back now go to a Stihl dealer and buy a real chainsaw.  I run mine a couple times a month and could not be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread