What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zay Jones, WR, Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

ECU WR Zay Jones is visiting the Titans on Tuesday, according to Jeff Darlington.
The Titans have two first round picks, but Jones likely winds up on the second day. The team does not have a second round pick, so perhaps this is due diligence in case the team trades back from no. 5 or No. 18. Jones can play inside or outside, but his early fit will be in the slot. The Titans have a need there.

Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears that the Seattle Seahawks "would quickly scoop [ECU WR Zay Jones] up" if he is available in the second round.

The Seahawks hold pick No. 58 in the second round. It might be a stretch to imagine Jones still sitting around at that point, as we would expect him to fly off the board relatively early in Round 2 (assuming he doesn't sneak into the first round). As for other parties who have been linked to the 6-foot-1, 197-pounder, it was reported earlier this month that he took in a visit with the Titans.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Apr 24 - 4:41 PM

The Sporting News' Ron Clements writes that ECU WR Zay Jones could see interest from the Bears, Panthers and Bills in the second round.
Clements views Zay as the second best prospect still available behind FSU RB Dalvin Cook. He passes along that Chicago, Carolina and Buffalo are "enamored" with the wideout. The Bears will have the first shot at drafting him on Friday, as they hold the No. 36 pick (fourth pick of the second round). The Panthers and Bills own picks No. 40 and No. 44, respectively.

Source: Sporting News 
Apr 28 - 1:03 PM

Zones to BUF is actually a pretty good spot.  I like Taylor to feed him the ball in short areas and they definitely have a need for someone that can catch.  Despite how bad BUF looked to me as a landing spot for someone like Mike Williams, I really like Zones here.

Bills selected East Carolina WR Zay Jones with the No. 37 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Jones (6’2/201) made 41 starts for ECU, setting a school record for career catches (399) and finishing second in ECU history in both receiving yards (4,279) and touchdowns (23). Jones broke the FBS single-season receptions record (158) as a senior, dropping just 6-of-164 catchable targets. While Jones lived on bubble screens and quick hitters and averaged only 10.7 yards per catch, he showed elite athleticism with a 94th-percentile SPARQ score and 4.45 speed at the Combine. Albeit not quite as big, Jones profiles similarly to Eagles WR Jordan Matthews as a slot-Z chain mover with more reliable hands.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values Round 1

Excerpt:

Buffalo Bills: Zay Jones, WR – The Bills have long needed a quality No. 2 receiver, and they found their solution in Jones. If you want a possession type receiver, look no further. Jones left ECU as the FBS career leader in receptions and adjusts well to the ball. On the down side, Jones doesn’t run many deep routes and could improve on his comebacks. The other problem is that it’s the Bills, and Tyrod Taylorattempted just 437 passes in 15 games last year. Jones will have more value in PPR leagues, but even in said format, Jones will struggle to reach WR4 value in the Bills offense.

Zones to BUF is actually a pretty good spot.  I like Taylor to feed him the ball in short areas and they definitely have a need for someone that can catch.  Despite how bad BUF looked to me as a landing spot for someone like Mike Williams, I really like Zones here.
Taylor throws a good ball, just doesn't throw enough and it's Buffalo. Tough to pick a guy when they don't score a lot of points AND it has potential to be bad weather during playoff time. NE & GB are different. They can score in a blinding snowstorm.

Taylor throws a good ball, just doesn't throw enough and it's Buffalo. Tough to pick a guy when they don't score a lot of points AND it has potential to be bad weather during playoff time. NE & GB are different. They can score in a blinding snowstorm.
Buffalo has a new coaching staff so they may look different on offense this year. They will run, but they may throw it more under the new OC.  I like that Zay is back together with his former WR coach from ECU. I am an ECU alumni, and I watched Zay from a freshman to a senior in college, and he blossomed every year. His first two years Shane Carden was the QB, but after he left the QB position was shaky for Zay's last two seasons. The QB who was supposed to start during Zay's junior year tore his ACL a week before the season, therefore two backups had a few days to compete with one another to see who would start. The coach ended up playing both QBs all season, and Zay's last season with a new HC also consisted of two QBs playing. He had to catch some crazy throws and from two different guys, but he still excelled. We always had a chance with him on the field, and he could play all the receiver positions.  He has a great work ethic, and he is intelligent. I have high hopes for him, and I'll be rooting for Isaiah Jones to shine.

Part of what I liked about him was that he was NFL ready and looked like he might start from day one.  If the bills get Maclin, Jones probably only plays in 3 wide sets, which isn't a death sentence,  but hurts his year one value. The flip side is that this may be another sign that they're considering letting Watkins go in buffalo, which means this could be an audition for Jones. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this thread and can't believe nobody mentioned the senior bowl. Did anyone watch it? Watching a game in real time gives a much different impression than watching video cutups. On the final drive of the game, everyone in the stadium as well as the tv audience knew where the ball was going. But they couldn't stop him. He's one of those players that have "it". The fact that he tested so well athletically is just a bonus.

I think it's also interesting that the Bills drafted his senior bowl teammate, peterman, later in the draft. I don't know how he'll turn out but Jones made him look like a star that day.

According to the Bills' official website, second-round WR Zay Jones "looked the part of a top three wideout" in the offseason program.

Per in-house reporter Jake Hamilton, Jones' "air of confidence impressed the coaching staff." Looking like a top-three is great, but the Bills need Jones to be a top-two behind brittle Sammy Watkins. Jones is this year's Sterling Shepard from a projected usage perspective.

Source: buffalobills.com 

Jul 20 - 8:19 PM

Bills second-round WR Zay Jones is working both outside and in the slot early in camp.

Jones was primarily a slot receiver in college, but his role expanded his final year at East Carolina. He also possesses the size and athleticism to work on the outside. With injury-prone Sammy Watkins the only person ahead of him on the depth chart, Jones could be in line for a big rookie role.

Source: buffalo bills.com

Jul 31 - 9:10 AM

WKBW Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia wrote Bills second-round WR Zay Jones is "winning the battle for the second wide receiver spot."

It is not a surprise based on Buffalo's depth chart, but Jones is apparently putting on a show. "It feels like almost on a daily basis now, I’m writing that 'this was Zay Jones' best practice to date,'" Buscaglia wrote, "and then the next day, he raises the bar just a bit more." The reporter added Jones has impressed with his routes and is consistently getting open. In line for a healthy target share even if Sammy Watkins is able to stay healthy, Jones is worth a look in the late rounds.

Source: WKBW Buffalo

Aug 3 - 8:28 AM

From the article above something that stood out to me:

What really stood out was his route running ability, and where some receivers loaf through breakdowns ahead of their cuts, Jones has seemingly thrived.
From watching Jones cuts ups (posted earlier in this thread) my main criticism of Jones was that he was not very quick or sudden in the way he would break off a lot of his routes. I saw potential for him to gain more seperation with his breaks if he did them crisper and more suddenly.

From this observers statement, it sounds like Jones is doing that more. It is something that I think(thought) was coachable. So the above statement makes me think he is getting that coaching and improving on this aspect of his game.

It gives me a warm fuzzy about him as this was one one thing I thought he was lacking. Everything else seemed pretty good.

ABC Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia believes second-rounder Zay Jones could still win No. 2 duties following the signing of Anquan Boldin.

So do we, but the problem for Jones is that the distinction between No. 2 and 3 is no longer that significant. The Bills had a depth chart canyon behind Jones before snagging Boldin. Jones is no longer guaranteed enough targets to make him immediately viable in re-draft leagues.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter 

Aug 7 - 3:17 PM

They've moved him to the outside now that Watkins has been traded.  Pretty sure part of the reason they traded Watkins is because they loved this kid. He's got deep enough speed (4.45, unofficial 4.38 at the combine) to replace Watkins' role (4.43, 4.33-4.37 unofficial) and he's been lighting it up at practice.  Very real chance to be their long term number one. 

Seems to clearly have the biggest opportunity by far among rookie WRs. That alone is big - the primary concerns are whether he's truly got the goods to emerge in his first year, and even if so, if he can put up strong numbers in what should be a limited passing attack.

They've moved him to the outside now that Watkins has been traded.  Pretty sure part of the reason they traded Watkins is because they loved this kid. He's got deep enough speed (4.45, unofficial 4.38 at the combine) to replace Watkins' role (4.43, 4.33-4.37 unofficial) and he's been lighting it up at practice.  Very real chance to be their long term number one. 
Someone had to go to the outside.  And he figures to be the best fit.  Or at least I was hoping they thought he was.

i picked him up last week right before the trade.  And have been searching for this type of info on him.

Someone had to go to the outside.  And he figures to be the best fit.  Or at least I was hoping they thought he was.

i picked him up last week right before the trade.  And have been searching for this type of info on him.
Fwiw - It's not that "somebody had to go to the outside". Watkins didn't just disappear.  They traded him away, and they did so knowing they were going to move zay outside. This might be news to us, but it's not news to them. 

Seems to clearly have the biggest opportunity by far among rookie WRs. That alone is big - the primary concerns are whether he's truly got the goods to emerge in his first year, and even if so, if he can put up strong numbers in what should be a limited passing attack.
This is a running team, first and foremost.  I am not a fan of Ross, but I don't see how you can put Jones ahead of him in terms of opportunity.  I'd probably put Cooper Kupp up there as well.  And let's not forget about Corey Davis.

This is a running team, first and foremost.  I am not a fan of Ross, but I don't see how you can put Jones ahead of him in terms of opportunity.  I'd probably put Cooper Kupp up there as well.  And let's not forget about Corey Davis.
Vegas has had zay as the leader by a good margin 

https://www.bookmaker.eu/articles/football/nfl/nfl-props-which-rookie-will-have-the-most-receiving-yards-79681

Not sure if thats changed (this is from late June) 

I do love Ross though

Ross has some guy named AJ Green and, to a lesser extent, Tyler Eifert to dominate targets. Kupp looks good, but is going to fight for scraps after Watkins and Woods. 

I did admittedly forget about Davis, but he's been hurt and also still has proven vets in Decker, Matthews and Walker to share with. I see 2018 as being Davis' year.

Zay seems like he has the most near-term opportunity for this year at least.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Ross has some guy named AJ Green and, to a lesser extent, Tyler Eifert to dominate targets. Kupp looks good, but is going to fight for scraps after Watkins and Woods. 

I did admittedly forget about Davis, but he's been hurt and also still has proven vets in Decker, Matthews and Walker to share with. I see 2018 as being Davis' year.

Zay seems like he has the most near-term opportunity for this year at least.
Davis was starting prior to his camp injury...Davis by a longshot here IMHO.

I'm starting zay this week in multiple leagues. There are a few reasons. 

One he's pro ready.  He runs good routes, can go deep, can catch all kinds of short stuff, knows how to beat cover two, he's just a complete receiver.  He's inexperienced at the NFL level, but he's good. 

Two, they think he's their number one receiver.  They traded Watkins because they had him.  They moved up in the second to make sure they got him.  And every report from fans and media at practice was that he's the real deal. 

Three, he sets goals and achieves them. He worked with mcgeoghan before the 2016 season and said I want to break the receptions record.  Mcgeoghan said you're going to have to work really hard,  learn the whole route tree from every receiver position, and even then it might not happen because you have to get really lucky.  Zay broke the record with games to spare. I think he had set goals again, although he'd never day so publicly, and getting off to a big week one is important to  both him and his coaches.

Four, the bills are not ready to throw in the towel on 2017. Unlike the jets, the bills haven't jettisoned all of their best veteran players, and they've backfilled the guys they moved with decent players. They're built around an aging McCoy, they've got a good defense and a new head coach who knows how to use it. They won't earn the number one pick,  and they've stocked up on picks with two firsts, two seconds, two thirds and two fourths next year so they can trade up if they really want to.  

Five, they play a team who has jettisoned talent, exactly like the jets. Even if they try to play defense for 3 quarters,  Mccoy will draw the defense's attention, and Mathews will probably draw the top corner, if the jets even have one.  I guess that's Morris Claiborne, who hasn't played the last couple weeks because of a bum shoulder. It might be Marcus Williams, who was good enough that the jets tried to trade him away this summer, but not good enough that anyone traded for him.  

Six, it would be an unmitigated disaster for the jets to win this game.  After stripping their roster bare, winning week one would not only suck, it's a division game, and against another team that might decide to give up if they lost to the ####### jets. 

Seven, tyrod is playing for his career. If he has a good year the bills might use all those picks to continue to build around him. If he has an awful year, he's got Peterman breathing down his neck and this is expected to be the best qb crop in a long time.  He's had one day of practice with Matthews before this week when he returned from the concussion protocol late.  His other starting receiver is Zay Jones. 

I'm not ready to start him every week, and I'd still only play him as a wr3, but I see a very good chance of him going for 100 yards and a touchdown, and I want him in my lineup. 

I have Zay as my Wr4 in all leagues. I think he will be the best rookie wr this year. Biggest opportunity out of the gate and like others have said pro ready. Not sure I'm comfortable starting him yet but definitely glad I was able to get him.

I have Zay as my Wr4 in all leagues. I think he will be the best rookie wr this year. Biggest opportunity out of the gate and like others have said pro ready. Not sure I'm comfortable starting him yet but definitely glad I was able to get him.
I think he's startable week 1 and will finish as a WR2 by the end of the season

I had kind of forgotten about this guy so far this season as I don't have any Buffalo players in fantasy.

Just happened to look up what Buffalo is doing offensively and I see that Jones has 23 targets 5 receptions 66 yards.

Those numbers are craptastic.

Why the face?

I had kind of forgotten about this guy so far this season as I don't have any Buffalo players in fantasy.

Just happened to look up what Buffalo is doing offensively and I see that Jones has 23 targets 5 receptions 66 yards.

Those numbers are craptastic.

Why the face?
He's spending 82% of his time on the field lining up on the outside. This is an obvious mistake.

I haven't seen all of the Bills games, but he's had a few uncharacteristic drops and it seems like this has affected his confidence. Some of those targets though have been near misses on pretty difficult catches that I don't think you can really blame him for not making. The bigger thing though I think is that Tyrod isn't the right QB for him - he needs someone who is more of a precision passer - accurate on short and intermediate throws. That simply isn't Tyrod's game, and the Bills are so run heavy now that there aren't many opportunities for the WRs anyway. When they actually get a target the pressure is probably heightened to make a play and that might be playing on Zay's mind right now. Just speculation, but that's what it feels like as an outside observer. .

I still like Jones as a talent, but for me this is just a perfect storm of bad circumstances for him that means he's not going to produce. It's similar for Jordan Matthews - he's actually made the most of his limited targets to date, but he's just starved of opportunity. I'm optimistic for both of these guys longer term, but it's not going to happen with Tyrod there and running this ultra conservative offense.

I guess the only silver lining is that not every WR hits right off the bat, and it's not exactly the best offense/QB for him to thrive. That said, you'd like to see something, anything, from him in his first five weeks in the NFL. In my keeper league, I'm having problems letting go of him this early, but getting harder to take up a spot for other guys.

He's going to be a solid possession WR in this league.  He's getting valuable playing time as a rookie.  His 2017 outlook was never good.  What hurts is not being able to learn the slot a bit from a guy like Boldin.  They clearly wanted him as the #3 this year and that hurt.  Not many rookies get the amount of snaps he has and it generally takes WR's a bit.  Yes the drops have been bad, but he's not had a history of it.  Last game he did make a diving over the middle third down catch for a first.  Hopefully his confidence boots and he'll get a better QB throwing him the ball next year.  He's a hold.  The situation will change. 

I am curious to hear more if anyone wants to talk about this.

What kind of routes does Buffalo have Jones running right now? Is he getting open? How catchable are the targets he is getting?

I am curious to hear more if anyone wants to talk about this.

What kind of routes does Buffalo have Jones running right now? Is he getting open? How catchable are the targets he is getting?
From the ALL-22 and from going to the games he's running a lot of slants and drags.  Tyrod only goes through 1-2 reads before getting sacked or scrambling.  I'll watch him on the outside a bit more this weekend from the stands.  He's able to shake a defender off the line but his straight line speed isn't anything special.  Most of his drops were his fault and it can be argued the Carolina game it was a 50-50 fault on ball placement.  He's averaging 4.6 targets a game (23 for the season)  He'll likely go back to the outside once Matthews is back but that will allow him to run in the slot on some occasions when Holmes is outside.  Expecting anything from a fantasy standpoint this year is probably not wise, unless you need a flex play for some bye weeks.  Long term as McDermott and company have another off-season to improve the roster I believe Zay becomes more valuable.  I suspect he'll end up being a better pro than fantasy player with a lot of 6-65 games in his future in year 2 or 3.

It was encouraging they gave him a screen last week in attempts to boost his confidence however he dropped that.  He did make up for it with a nice third down over the middle contested catch.

Thanks. 

I was wondering if they were having him run a lot of go routes and if so perhaps a big chunk of those targets were off or just throw away balls in his general direction. From what you are saying, that doesn't sound like its the case.

I like Jones a lot from what I watched of him in college. More interested in him for the long term than right now. He is getting enough opportunity though that maybe that starts turning into production at some point this season.

Could be a good buy really low target or maybe even a pick up in dynasty due to his lack of productivity so far.

Week seven vs Tampa Bay

Zay Jones 55 offensive snaps (81%) 9 targets 2 receptions 17 yards

Jordan Matthews 55 offensive snaps (81%) 3 targets 2 receptions 10 yards

Meanwhile the Bills picked up Deonte Thompson recently cut by the Bears who did this

Deonte Thompson 21 offensive snaps (31%) 4 targets 4 receptions 107 yards

:confused:

Thanks. 

I was wondering if they were having him run a lot of go routes and if so perhaps a big chunk of those targets were off or just throw away balls in his general direction. From what you are saying, that doesn't sound like its the case.

I like Jones a lot from what I watched of him in college. More interested in him for the long term than right now. He is getting enough opportunity though that maybe that starts turning into production at some point this season.

Could be a good buy really low target or maybe even a pick up in dynasty due to his lack of productivity so far.
He has something like 10+ drops already. And most of them are bad drops. Yesterday the ball was right in his hands a couple of times and he just flat dropped it. At this point, I don't see how the Bills can even keep putting him on the field. Very disappointing.

He has something like 10+ drops already. And most of them are bad drops. Yesterday the ball was right in his hands a couple of times and he just flat dropped it. At this point, I don't see how the Bills can even keep putting him on the field. Very disappointing.
What is up with Thompson basically getting off the bus and putting up 100 yard game?

The Bears biggest weakness is a lack of healthy WR so they let this guy go, but clearly he can make plays. Really confuses me. Thompson even seemed to have some rapport with Trubisky from preseason.

The only thing I can come up with is that Thompson is 28 years old, so perhaps they want Trubisky to develop with some players who have a longer term outlook than him. That makes a certain amount of sense I guess, but not much.

How did Thompson look? Wondering if folks should be considering him for a pick up?

What is up with Thompson basically getting off the bus and putting up 100 yard game?

The Bears biggest weakness is a lack of healthy WR so they let this guy go, but clearly he can make plays. Really confuses me. Thompson even seemed to have some rapport with Trubisky from preseason.

The only thing I can come up with is that Thompson is 28 years old, so perhaps they want Trubisky to develop with some players who have a longer term outlook than him. That makes a certain amount of sense I guess, but not much.

How did Thompson look? Wondering if folks should be considering him for a pick up?
Thompson got deep a couple times and Tyrod hit him.  Nobody in this passing offense is worth week-to-week consideration outside of Clay when healthy.  I feel like you'll start the wrong guy weekly.  It'll be spread out. 

Zay doesn't have ten drops, I read yesterday he has 5 or 6 All his deep targets yesterday weren't accurate.  I set the line at 2-17 pregame which ended up dead-on.   Like I said last week, he probably ends up a better NFL WR than fantasy WR.  I still have hopes for him when his role becomes what it should be. 

Thompson got deep a couple times and Tyrod hit him.  Nobody in this passing offense is worth week-to-week consideration outside of Clay when healthy.  I feel like you'll start the wrong guy weekly.  It'll be spread out. 

Zay doesn't have ten drops, I read yesterday he has 5 or 6 All his deep targets yesterday weren't accurate.  I set the line at 2-17 pregame which ended up dead-on.   Like I said last week, he probably ends up a better NFL WR than fantasy WR.  I still have hopes for him when his role becomes what it should be. 
Any chance of Peterman starting over Taylor?

Maybe that would help?

Jones can go deep but I don't consider that his strong suit. More of a possession receiver than a deep threat from what I saw of him in college.

The way Jones wins doesn't fit Taylors play style in my opinion. Jones would be better with a dink and dunk timing passer I think.

Users who are viewing this thread