What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (1 Viewer)

I don't know about RB comparisons but I will say this.  The PSU O-Line is not good.  I was hoping it would be better but he is still averaging almost 8 yards per carry with a #### O-Line.  He's a major threat as a pass catcher.  He cuts on a dime.  He can ram through at the goal line.  All Franklin and Moorhead should be doing is saying "give him the ball".

He's not going to be another Curtis Enis, kiJana Carter, etc.  He's the real deal.  He's going to be a wrecking machine in dynasty/redraft in all scoring formats.

All right, so I might be a little biased but the kid is amazing.

Signed

In my keeper league the top team that misses the playoffs gets the #1 pick, making my 1-2 start to the season much easier to stomach. Regardless, I'm gonna try to trade for the first pick as hard as I can.

Probably the most talented player I've ever watched play at Penn State.

No bias here and barring a significant injury or unforeseen off the field issue once this NFL season has concluded he'll jump to my #1 overall RB, someone I'd be entirely comfortable taking 1.1 of a startup, not a rookie draft but a startup. This is not shtick in any way whatsoever. I've seen what I needed to see here.

No bias here and barring a significant injury or unforeseen off the field issue once this NFL season has concluded he'll jump to my #1 overall RB, someone I'd be entirely comfortable taking 1.1 of a startup, not a rookie draft but a startup. This is not shtick in any way whatsoever. I've seen what I needed to see here.
Yeah, the only thing I am worried about is that he blows out his knee like Lattimore did.  My god that would be so horrible.  *knocking on wood*

Saquon Barkley is listed as the No.2 prospect on Mel Kiper's updated Big Board.

The only player that tops Barkley on the list is USC quarterback Sam Darnold. Kiper calls the 5-foot-11, 230-pound tailback a lights-out athlete with a great lower body and quick feet who shows tremendous balance." Barkley started the year as a potential top-ten pick, but it now seems feasible that he goes in the first three selections, maybe even first-overall if the team selecting doesn't have a need at quarterback.

Source: ESPN Insider 

Sep 28 - 10:36 PM

Suck for Saquon? Blow for Barkley? Who's designing the t-shirts?

I'm really excited to see this guy in an NFL uniform. I'm kind of hoping a team with a good QB of the future can have a bad year to see him go #1. Luck lining up under center in front of him would be filthy! Shut Andrew down for the year...no sense risking his long term health! :)

At this point I am not sure. That organization cannot seem to put it together.
They are only 3  years removed from playing in the AFC title game, and not everyone is the Patriots. They have lost their starting qb for extended periods of time the last 2 years. Most teams go in the tank when that happens.

A healthy Luck, Hilton and Barkley could make even an average NFL line look elite.

They are only 3  years removed from playing in the AFC title game, and not everyone is the Patriots. They have lost their starting qb for extended periods of time the last 2 years. Most teams go in the tank when that happens.

A healthy Luck, Hilton and Barkley could make even an average NFL line look elite.
3 years is a loooong time in the NFL

I think it matters a lot where he goes, for fantasy and for his own career.  Just like any other player, a good fit is better than a bad fit.  There are so many bad organizations that use players wrong...  If he goes to a bad situation in terms of lots of RB competition or terrible offense and organization he won't reach anywhere near his fantasy potential.  He could easily not be the 1.01 by next year.  He could get drafted by Cleveland...  or Chicago or New Orleans (lol) or Jacksonville or Carolina or NYG or LAR. All of those places could kill his potential fantasy value for one reason or another.  The problem is the dumbest teams pick first in the draft.  The dumbest teams also like to reach for  hyped players that may not even fit their scheme and then use them poorly.  

I think it matters a lot where he goes, for fantasy and for his own career.  Just like any other player, a good fit is better than a bad fit.  There are so many bad organizations that use players wrong...  If he goes to a bad situation in terms of lots of RB competition or terrible offense and organization he won't reach anywhere near his fantasy potential.  He could easily not be the 1.01 by next year.  He could get drafted by Cleveland...  or Chicago or New Orleans (lol) or Jacksonville or Carolina or NYG or LAR. All of those places could kill his potential fantasy value for one reason or another.  The problem is the dumbest teams pick first in the draft.  The dumbest teams also like to reach for  hyped players that may not even fit their scheme and then use them poorly.  
The Rams were 2-7 and 6-10 the 2 years before drafting Eric Dickerson #2.
Buffalo was 1-12-1 and 4-10 the 2 years before drafting OJ Simpson #1.
Chargers were 1-15 the year before drafting L Tomlinson #5.
Detroit Lions were 4-12, 4-11 and 5-11 before drafting Barry Sanders #3.
Detroit Lions were 2-14 before drafting Billy Sims #1.
Chicago Bears were 4-10 and 3-11 before drafting Walter Payton #4

Barring injury Barkley is an absolute lock for the 1.01 next year, no matter what team he goes to 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rams were 2-7 and 6-10 the 2 years before drafting Eric Dickerson #2.
Buffalo was 1-12-1 and 4-10 the 2 years before drafting OJ Simpson #1.
Chargers were 1-15 the year before drafting L Tomlinson #5.
Detroit Lions were 4-12, 4-11 and 5-11 before drafting Barry Sanders #3.
Detroit Lions were 2-14 before drafting Billy Sims #1.
Chicago Bears were 4-10 and 3-11 before drafting Walter Payton #4

Survivorship bias. What about all the busts that outnumber those hall of famer 50 to 1?  Not saying Barkley is going to bust by any means, just saying which team he goes to will make a big difference. 

Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley rushed for 75 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries in Saturday's 31-7 win over Northwestern.

The Wildcats did a fantastic job against Barkley, who had almost no rushing output in the first half. He would go on to bust out for a 53-yard touchdown gallop in the third quarter to account for the majority of his yardage on the ground. Barkley remains our Heisman favorite even with Saturday's modest numbers.

Hankmoody said:
The Browns were 4-12 the year before drafting Trent Richardson #3
The Jets were 4-12 the year before drafting Blair Thomas #2
The Packers were 4-12 the year before drafting Brent Fullwood #4
The Chargers were 4-9-1 the year before drafting Bo Matthews #2
The Oilers (!) were 5-11 the year before drafting Alonso Highsmith #3
We were talking teams that were and had been bad and that it doesn't mean a running back has to suck going to a team that has a bad recent history.

By the way -

Jets were 8-7-1 the year before their 4-12
Packers had 3 straight 8-8 seasons before their 4-12

Anyway, in free agency teams can turn around quickly. Many of those we made note of were before free agency when teams had to rely on the draft to acquire players. And teams can be bad and have a good running back. Look at Marshall Faulk's last 2 seasons in IND. 3-13 and 3-13. Barry Sanders had as many losing seasons as winning seasons in Detroit. Walter Payton and the Bears had just 2 winning seasons in his first 8. Corey Dillon's first 6 seasons in Cincinnati were not good for them. And their is a long history of great college backs that fail in the NFL for various reasons. There is no  guarantee that Barkley will or will not have a good or great career. There have been backs that come out of virtual nowhere to become good or great. The rule in Dynasty should be to draft and acquire as many as possible because we don't know who or when they become relevant.  Can't miss doesn't exist.

Personally I think it is a mistake for NFL teams to draft a running back early first round. Good ones can be found later. 

As much as I think Barkley is a trancendent talent at the RB position, the arguments against his real time NFL value are legit. AP, Sanders, LT are HOF’s whose career and team path fully support the argument. 

So were Adrian Peterson and Ladanian Tomlinson. Their teams never made it to a Super Bowl
Pretty simplistic and flawed argument since only 2 teams a year make it. Both of those guys made it to conference championship games and lost to the eventual superbowl winner. There's a whole host of QBs taken early that are considered franchise QBs and havent made it either: Luck, Stafford, Winston, etc.

As much as I think Barkley is a trancendent talent at the RB position, the arguments against his real time NFL value are legit. AP, Sanders, LT are HOF’s whose career and team path fully support the argument. 
Are we worried about if his team wins a super bowl or if he'll be a perennial fantasy stud? Cause if he turns out like AP, LT and Barry, giddy up!

Anyway, in free agency teams can turn around quickly. Many of those we made note of were before free agency when teams had to rely on the draft to acquire players. And teams can be bad and have a good running back. Look at Marshall Faulk's last 2 seasons in IND. 3-13 and 3-13. Barry Sanders had as many losing seasons as winning seasons in Detroit. Walter Payton and the Bears had just 2 winning seasons in his first 8. Corey Dillon's first 6 seasons in Cincinnati were not good for them. And their is a long history of great college backs that fail in the NFL for various reasons. There is no  guarantee that Barkley will or will not have a good or great career. There have been backs that come out of virtual nowhere to become good or great. The rule in Dynasty should be to draft and acquire as many as possible because we don't know who or when they become relevant.  Can't miss doesn't exist.

Personally I think it is a mistake for NFL teams to draft a running back early first round. Good ones can be found later. 
And what about all the exceptions the other way? 

Marshall Faulk on the Rams, Emmitt Smith, E. James, Reggie Bush, you use Walter Payton for your argument, despite the fact he won a super bowl. 

Penn State junior RB Saquon Barkley ran for 108 yards and two scores on 15 carries, and caught three passes for 53 yards and a score in a 42-13 destruction of Michigan on Saturday.

Barkley started out red hot, going over 100 yards in the first quarter and scoring twice from 69 and 15 yards, respectfully. From that point, Barkley was relatively held in check, but the damage had been done. He checked in with a 42-yard score in the passing game in the fourth from Trace McSorley to make it 35-13 Nittany Lions early in the fourth. Once again, Barkley looked like one of -- maybe even the -- best players in college football. Penn State has a must-see matchup next week against Ohio State.

He's the consensus #1 in the country by everyone with at least one eyeball. You're the very first person I've seen type "bust" when referring to him or his situation surely you will be the only one. The guy is the real deal in every way.

Tex

He may get stuck with the stigma of some PSU RB busts, but I don't know, I don't see a weakness.  He even block exceptionally well.

He may get stuck with the stigma of some PSU RB busts, but I don't know, I don't see a weakness.  He even block exceptionally well.
Please Cleveland, do not draft Saquon. 

I just saw a recent Mock with him going to Cleveland but even Cleveland couldn’t damage his Dynasty Stock.

Tex
The Browns really really need a QB but I don't see one out there worth a 1st round pick. Lately it seems like the top QBs are guys that kind of sneak up late season and shine in the draft process so maybe there is a QB everyone will be in love with by April but I don't see it. 

The Browns really really need a QB but I don't see one out there worth a 1st round pick. Lately it seems like the top QBs are guys that kind of sneak up late season and shine in the draft process so maybe there is a QB everyone will be in love with by April but I don't see it. 
Grier and Mayfield are my two favorite they don’t get a lot of Love or conversation but they play lights out.

Tex

I meant Grier lol, I changed it.

Tex
Ok, I kind of thought there was a mixup and you meant Baker Mayfield and someone else. I really like what I have seen from Mayfield but he does not strike me as a guy that will go 1st round in the draft. He's a little small, improvises a lot and his personality will turn some off. I don't know anything about Grier. 

Ok, I kind of thought there was a mixup and you meant Baker Mayfield and someone else. I really like what I have seen from Mayfield but he does not strike me as a guy that will go 1st round in the draft. He's a little small, improvises a lot and his personality will turn some off. I don't know anything about Grier. 
I would suggest Just googling his wife and calling it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread