What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One space or two after a period ending a sentence? ( Oxford commas now in the news) (1 Viewer)

One or two?

• One

Votes: 55 28.9%
  • Two

Votes: 119 62.6%
  • Depends/doesn't matter

Votes: 16 8.4%

• Total voters

Juxtatarot

Footballguy
Question intended for normal everyday usage.   Emails, business letters, FFA posts, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it used to be two, but recently some grammar nazi's came out and said 1 is fine now.  I'm still not sure why there is even a "ruling body" on this type of thing.

Wow, didn't even know this was a thing.  I grew up learning it was 2 and have done it ever since.  Less than 2 feels wrong to me.

if I hit space twice I get a period at the end of the sentence. Why would I change to symbols hit . then go back to writing. So if 2 is wrong I don't want to be right. 

if I hit space twice I get a period at the end of the sentence. Why would I change to symbols hit . then go back to writing. So if 2 is wrong I don't want to be right. 
You haven't had a period in decades...

ETA:  NTTAWWT

Last edited by a moderator:
Two spaces was used when typewriter fonts needed extra space for readability. Now that we use modern fonts in our writings, the additional space is no longer needed. 

I can't believe two is winning this. I thought it was settled that it was one. It should be. Please, everyone, just use one. Its all that's needed.

who needs periods and spaces i mean i type on my phone and it thinks it knows what i want but then bam i throw in the ol swcer switcharoo and throw it out the damn window take that to the grammar bank broahanians

was always taught 2 in school, way back when.  I imagine with space limitations in some social media usage, one has become the accepted norm?

In high school and college I was taught 2 spaces after a period. But since I started working, I find that most business writing uses just one space. I guess the rules are changing.

Always two.  Also use the oxford comma.  

My admin group routinely edits my stuff for these things, but I will never change!

Punctuation after sensentences What kind of freaking no IQ idiot needs punctuation after sentences It's perfectly easy to follow someone's train of thought without the use of punctuation And don't get me started on grammar Surely a bunch of stoned hippies thought that one up Stupid question

Users who are viewing this thread