What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Big Chicken Coop: RL's Virtual Radio Station (1 Viewer)

RedmondLonghorn

Footballguy
In this thread I will share some songs I love, like a lot, or just find interesting. Genres are going to be all over the place.

Feel free to contribute, if you like.

The Street Parade - The Clash The Clash are one of my all time favorite bands and this song, a lesser known one off Sandinista!, is one of my favorites. The mixture of styles and influences that distinguishes the Clash from so many other punk bands of the same era is on full display here.

Wait So Long - Trampled by Turtles  Is alt-bluegrass a thing? I guess it must be, because this is clearly bluegrass influenced, but it really rocks too.

Mapusa - Mashti It actually might be Mashti by Mapusa. I don't know. I first heard this song watching an amazing drone video of surfers in Indonesia and it stuck with me. I am not a big electronic music guy, nor a "world music" fan, but I do really like this one.

Outlaw Heart - Tiger Army Tiger Army is a band that is new to me only recently, but rapidly becoming a favorite. This is just a great, great song.

Paranoid - the Meteors A cover of the Black Sabbath classic in a grungy surf punk style.

As soon as you mentioned the surfing video I knew which song it was. I love that video too and the music fits perfectly. 

I got the album this song came off of right before I moved to Austin for graduate school 20+ years ago, when it first came out. I was convinced that Chris Duarte was going to be the next Stevie Ray Vaughn. His career didn't turn out the way I (or probably he) expected, but this is still a pretty kick ### blues rock song.

My Way Down - Chris Duarte Group

Before she became well known for singing a song Prince wrote (Nothing Compares 2 U) and tearing up a picture of the Pope on live television, Sinead O'Connor put out an excellent album called the Lion and the Cobra. There were several great songs on it, but this one is my favorite. It holds up really well even 30 years later:

Mandinka - Sinead O'Connor

A great, but lesser known, song by blues and R&B legend Bobby Blue Bland, off of his Two Steps from the Blues album. The whole album is wonderful.

Don't Cry No More - Bobby "Blue" Bland
love this album! had it on cd or vinyl but never migrated to ipod and full digital world for me... haven't listened to it in years, so thanks for that link!

I was always partial to a few tunes on it:

I've been wrong so long

I'll take care of you (love the organ on it)

I pity the fool

Cry, cry cry

love this album! had it on cd or vinyl but never migrated to ipod and full digital world for me... haven't listened to it in years, so thanks for that link!

I was always partial to a few tunes on it:

I've been wrong so long

I'll take care of you (love the organ on it)

I pity the fool

Cry, cry cry
Those are all great songs.

On the old school Blues/Jazz front, I am also very partial to Jimmy Smith. He has a huge catalog of great stuff, but this is my favorite:

Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith

Synthesizers and lo-fi fuzzy guitars playing spacey, surrealist alt-folk/indie rock. That sounds like a description of the most pretentious, unlistenable hipster music, doesn't it?

Maybe it is. But it fits Grandaddy and they put out one of my favorite albums of the century in 2005.

They have a couple songs that are better known, but I think this is their best song off that album and probably overall.

Ok With My Decay - Grandaddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, damn,  Not sure I ever expected anyone here to nail my formative music years so well. Especially back in 2017. And here it appears Redmond done did it. In 2017, no less.   The Clash and Chris Duarte pretty well cover my 20's and 30's if you throw in a little Rancid, Bad Religion, and Willie. LLTBCC!

Well, damn,  Not sure I ever expected anyone here to nail my formative music years so well. Especially back in 2017. And here it appears Redmond done did it. In 2017, no less.   The Clash and Chris Duarte pretty well cover my 20's and 30's if you throw in a little Rancid, Bad Religion, and Willie. LLTBCC!
That’s cool.

Here is Willie doing a song that Ray Price made famous, backed by my favorite Western Swing band (the Time Jumpers):

Willie Nelson - Heartaches by the Number 

My taste in music doesn't typically run to the avant garde or experimental. But this one definitely falls in that category. This band was apparently really...something in their day. Their behavior was so outrageous that even Marilyn Manson would have been like "well, that's a bit much". But this song gets stuck in my head sometimes and I end up listening to it several times.

The Slits - Typical Girls

This is, to me, just a great song. It came out in 1995 and probably could be categorized as alternative pop, but with a bit of a punk/post-punk influence. Lyrically it is great too. And I am generally not a music consumer that cares about lyrics that much.

Pulp - Common People

RedmondLonghorn said:
My taste in music doesn't typically run to the avant garde or experimental. But this one definitely falls in that category. This band was apparently really...something in their day. Their behavior was so outrageous that even Marilyn Manson would have been like "well, that's a bit much". But this song gets stuck in my head sometimes and I end up listening to it several times.

The Slits - Typical Girls
my favorite of theirs - based on guitarist Viv Albertine's relationship with Sid Vicious ... she moved on from Sid once Nancy came hangin' around, then she took up with Mick Jones (the Clash).  she was also pretty tight with Chrissie Hynde back when the whole London movement was finding it's voice. 

bonus Sex Pistols connection: John Lydon (nee Rotten) was (the late) lead singer Ari Up's stepfather (btw, Ari was 15 yrs old when the Slits formed).

my favorite of theirs - based on guitarist Viv Albertine's relationship with Sid Vicious ... she moved on from Sid once Nancy came hangin' around, then she took up with Mick Jones (the Clash).  she was also pretty tight with Chrissie Hynde back when the whole London movement was finding it's voice. 

bonus Sex Pistols connection: John Lydon (nee Rotten) was (the late) lead singer Ari Up's stepfather (btw, Ari was 15 yrs old when the Slits formed).
One of the Slits' founders (Paloma McLardy, aka Palmolive) was also Joe Strummer's long time significant other. She left the band around the time of their first album, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread