Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Big Chicken Coop: RL's Virtual Radio Station

3 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

What if Courtney Love could actually sing in tune? Or if Lucinda Williams was 25 years younger and totally into punk rock?

The Distillers - City of Angels

I have a Distillers shirt and purchased Sing Sing Death House on vinyl (an investment that yields Brodys!). They reformed, actually. Love them. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

How about some noise pop?

Pop Levi - Sugar Assault Me Now I was introduced to this song by EA Sports NHL '08. It was on the playlist for the game and I always found it pretty infectious (in a good way).

The Raveonettes - That Great Love Sound  The Raveonettes are a Danish noise pop duo who are known for Everly Brothers style harmonies. My wife is a big fan and got me into them.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, rockaction said:

I have a Distillers shirt and purchased Sing Sing Death House on vinyl (an investment that yields Brodys!). They reformed, actually. Love them. 

Wait, what???

The Distillers got back together????:pickle:

On 3/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

I missed this the other day. The only song I know by looking at the list is the Roxy Music one. I'll have to go through these.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

Wait, what???

The Distillers got back together????:pickle:

Yeah, they cut a single about a year and a half ago. It wasn't terrible. I think they're technically reformed, if not tremendously active.

A couple poppy "alternative" songs that I really enjoy, without apology:

The Struts - Kiss This  The Struts are an Alternapop band with a bit of a glam rock flavor. 

Say Anything - Alive With the Glory of Love It's a bouncy little punk-pop diddy about hiding from Nazis in the ghettos of Poland during the Holocaust. The official video really sucks too.

5 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

A couple poppy "alternative" songs that I really enjoy, without apology:

The Struts - Kiss This  The Struts are an Alternapop band with a bit of a glam rock flavor. 

Say Anything - Alive With the Glory of Love It's a bouncy little punk-pop diddy about hiding from Nazis in the ghettos of Poland during the Holocaust. The official video really sucks too.

I want to like the struts...felt like they just try too hard. Better than not trying, and their stuff is overall decent enough.

Similar level but less in the trying too hard...boy azooga- loner boogie

• Like 1

I took another unplanned break from the board and while I was gone I really spent some time going through this band's catalog, after not having paid them much mind for 40 years.

It turns out these guys were among the most influential bands ever, influencing other bands from the English punk/post-punk scene, to Industrial (which they basically invented), to Heavy Metal, to today's modern alternative artists.  You also have to love a prolific band that also publishes tons of rarities, remixes, and even dub versions of their music.

I am talking about Killing Joke, of course.

Here are the absolute best versions of three of my favorite songs from the early part of their career. Despite being 35-40 years old each of these songs was far enough ahead of its time that I think that these could be played on the new music feature of a modern alternative radio station and nobody who didn't know the songs already would think they were that old.

Killing Joke - Requiem - Malicious Damage Mix

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood - Gestalt Mix

Killing Joke - Tension - BBC Session

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I took another unplanned break from the board and while I was gone I really spent some time going through this band's catalog, after not having paid them much mind for 40 years.

It turns out these guys were among the most influential bands ever, influencing other bands from the English punk/post-punk scene, to Industrial (which they basically invented), to Heavy Metal, to today's modern alternative artists.  You also have to love a prolific band that also publishes tons of rarities, remixes, and even dub versions of their music.

I am talking about Killing Joke, of course.

Here are the absolute best versions of three of my favorite songs from the early part of their career. Despite being 35-40 years old each of these songs was far enough ahead of its time that I think that these could be played on the new music feature of a modern alternative radio station and nobody who didn't know the songs already would think they were that old.

Killing Joke - Requiem - Malicious Damage Mix

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood - Gestalt Mix

Killing Joke - Tension - BBC Session

I like this. :thumbup:

A Killing Joke follow up tune (from much later in their catalog) which lines up well with the current end times vibe:

Killing Joke - The Death & Resurrection Show

This is among the darkest and hardest things in my music library, but it is so freakin' good. Great workout song. Also, Dave Grohl does the drum work on it, which is fantastic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

John Prine tragically passed away from COVID-19 this week. 

He isn't as well known as Bob Dylan, but as a singer songwriter of folk/country type songs I think Dylan and Willie Nelson are the only ones who compare.

Here are a few of my Prine favorites, performed by others and him:

Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow) - Justin Vernon, of Bon Iver

Spanish Pipedream - The Avett Brothers

Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian - Those Darlins

In Spite of Ourselves - John Prine and Iris DeMint

• 1 month later...

Pete Townsend put out a solo album in the mid-80s that was just okay overall, but this song (which was not one of the singles from the album) is more than okay:

White City Fighting - Pete Townsend

It turns out the song has a dual writing credit for David Gilmour and Pete Townsend and an interesting history:

The track "White City Fighting" originated as a composition written by David Gilmour for his 1984 solo album About Face.[3] He asked Townshend to supply lyrics, but felt that he couldn't relate to them, so Townshend used the song instead with Gilmour playing guitar.[3] Gilmour sent the same tune to Roy Harper, whose lyrics had the same effect as Townshend's on Gilmour.[3] Harper used the result, "Hope", which has a markedly slower tempo, on his 1985 album with Jimmy Page called Whatever Happened to Jugula?.[3]