What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

We might be in the minority here but.. My wife and I for the past 3+ seasons have watched to see the Reveal and watch maybe 10 minutes of the Reunion before turning it off. To us it was almost as boring as the Family visits and the old "Walk down the beach and talk about everyone voted out" .. :shrug:  
Same here.  I might just be misremembering the older reunions (in addition to zoning out on the more recent ones) but it seemed that they used to spend more time talking about the game play, big decisions, etc.  And sometimes the show of hands among the jury regarding how they would have voted with different people in final.  Lately, it has seemed like more fluff and social issue discussions.  

For this being the "Best season ever" talk..............I still think it was a crappy decision by CBS to axe ANY possible Reunion show after the vote reveal. 
For what it's worth, CBS should have taken the 3 hours of game play split it into:
WED 5/13:   2 hour show
WED 5/20:   1 hour gameplay + 1 hour of Reunion via Zoom call

The Survivor Reunion show is sometimes more entertaining, or more revealing to watch than the actual final episode (but it does usually have some unnecessary fluff too)

Would have liked to have Probst ask Ben more questions about the sacrifical lamb scene
Would have like to have Probst ask Natalie questions about not choosing Fire making vs Tony  
Yea I agree they botched the finale big time.

We might be in the minority here but.. My wife and I for the past 3+ seasons have watched to see the Reveal and watch maybe 10 minutes of the Reunion before turning it off. To us it was almost as boring as the Family visits and the old "Walk down the beach and talk about everyone voted out" .. :shrug:  
Oh, i get that there is a lot from the Reunion show that is fluff........ but if it's done (moderated) correctly, with proper direct questions and answers, it can be worth watching.
Unfortunately, CBS or maybe it's Probst doesn't stay on point enough.
One thing we all missed out on is usually , i think they have a bloopers reel
Also nice to see how some of the people look in "real life" away from the dirt and grime  

and why not?.........it's not like CBS has a lot of other programming on backlog 

(and BTW:   CBS had announced last month that it was supposed to air The Amazing Race that was taped almost 2 years ago around May 20th to coincide with Survivor being done this season.   And then shortly thereafter, reversed course and postponed TAR for a fall season release.)

lol people only watching part or fast forwarding through the finale.....so you spend all season watching every minute of every episode, but then can't afford the 3 hours (minus commercial time, so maybe 2 hours?) on a Wednesday night to just watch it all?....you act like it's some big secret recipe and the best way to enjoy the finale....sounds kind of weird to me why someone would do that....if you simply fast forward through the commercials and watch the show, you are done in two hours or so....and then come in here and talk about it for a while.....seems like your time isn't so valuable you can't watch the whole thing.....not sure why I care....it just seems weird to me...

It would have been a fire contest but I understand the point.  That has merit.  I just don't think it would have been worth it to Tony to have to explain why he didn't follow the plan.  That really wasn't an option in my mind (rogue vote for Denise).
Yep you are right on the fire contest, he explained there was no one to draw rocks.

Did Boston Blob smile even 4 times during the entire season?

Amber took the tough times pretty well, but he just scowled like a beaten dog, even before he was voted out.

I realize that making sure Tony is gone is the only way Nat would win in the end....but not sure you should also have to feel pressured as the player coming back from extinction to go to fire with the biggest threat still left in the game if you are the one that wins the final immunity challenge....do you have to have that to pad your resume....she controlled a ton of things that happened in the game, even while not being there.....then when she did come back she succeeded in breaking up one of the more solid alliances I have seen on the show....piece by piece....by winning challenges, finding idols,  and forcing game play....hell she got Ben to quit on $2 million dollars.....thats a tough spot for something you really worked hard for to just have to "give it up".....and go to fire....it sucks for her that Tony had an immunity and she couldn't get him out sooner.....but she did try....immediately she put a target on his back....and it almost worked....I think its easy for us and Boston Rob to say "you played it perfectly upon your return, until you didn't take Tony to fire"....but when you have that necklace and control and $2 mil staring you in the face, it's hard to take a chance and not give yourself a shot.....she still had a shot if Sara beats Tony in fire....a pretty good one in my mind......IMO she did almost everything she possibly could from the moment she got booted to build her resume.....except go up against Tony at fire...but she still had a shot at him losing fire...she made "the Boss" scramble for his life in the game and go to fire.....but I think some of those slamming on her for not doing so would have also called her stupid if she did and lost.....until you are actually in that position, it's easy to say....

Last edited by a moderator:
There were 16 on the jury. Swinging two votes, she still loses 10-6
You have no way of knowing where all 12 of Tony's votes go.....do you really think Sara who rode Tony and was completely wrong around almost every turn..and Sara's "big move" voting for Ben....wasn't even her idea....and she would have had to say that at TC........or Michele would have gotten more votes then Nat.....?.....I don't 

I realize that making sure Tony is gone is the only way Nat would win in the end....but not sure you should also have to feel pressured as the player coming back from extinction to go to fire with the biggest threat still left in the game if you are the one that wins the final immunity challenge....do you have to have that to pad your resume....she controlled a ton of things that happened in the game, even while not being there.....then when she did come back she succeeded in breaking up one of the more solid alliances I have seen on the show....piece by piece....by winning challenges and forcing game play....hell she got Ben to quit on $2 million dollars.....thats a tough spot for something you really worked hard for to just have to "give it up".....and go to fire....it sucks for her that Tony had an immunity and she couldn't get him out sooner.....but she did try....immediately she put a target on his back....and it almost worked....I think its easy for us and Boston Rob to say "you played it perfectly upon your return, until you didn't take Tony to fire"....but when you have that necklace and control and $2 mil staring you in the face, it's hard to take a chance and not give yourself a shot.....she still had a shot if Sara beats Tony in fire....a pretty good one in my mind......IMO she did almost everything she possibly could from the moment she got booted to build her resume.....except go up against Tony at fire.....but I think some of those slamming on her for not doing so would have also called her stupid if she did and lost.....until you are actually in that position, it's easy to say....
To me coming back from Extinction the only chance you really have is to do the fire challenge.  I don't think you will win by just being in the final 3.  You have to prove yourself worthy and the best way to do that is to put yourself in that challenge.  The last EoE returnee played that part perfectly realizing that feather in the cap was his only option.  Natalie should have realized that too.  Even if she loses, it's still the right choice.  It's the only way to play the game with that few days of actually being in the game.

Natalie Interview

I think I like Natalie less after reading that. 

What's something that happened out there that didn't make it into an episode that you wish we could have seen?

Oh my God, the Edge. There's so much that you guys don't see. Well, the most interesting thing was when I got there, day one, I was, first, I was like super depressed. So for like half a day, I just laid on one spot on the beach and I didn't even get water. And I think producers were a little bit nervous ‘cause I literally just didn't move. I was in one spot on the ocean laying there to die, basically. And then that's when I kind of flipped it out and I was like, "You know what? I've never been on a tropical beach by myself." So I spent a nice chunk of time completely naked. I just got completely naked and swam around in the ocean. And I was like, "This is like mermaid fantasies!”
Groovy

Survivor: Winners at War cast members getting at least $35K each
https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/19/survivor-winners-at-war-cast-prize-money-guarantees/

By Dalton Ross       January 19, 2020 at 10:00 AM EST

Whomever emerges victorious on the upcoming Survivor: Winners at War (which premieres Feb. 12 on CBS) will be taking home the show’s first ever $2 million prize. But he or she will not be the only one getting a dramatic pay bump for playing on season 40. Every player that steps foot on the island (and on the finale/reunion stage) is guaranteed of taking home at least $35,000.

While Survivor has a standard sliding scale of prize money that starts at $2,500 for the first one voted out, and goes up to $1 million for the winner (with second place receiving $100,000), EW has learned that not only will the winner get double the prize, but each of the players on Winners At War have been guaranteed at least $25,000. They also will receive the standard $10,000 for appearing at the finale/reunion show. That means the first person voted out of Winners at War will receive a total of $35,000 — unless he or she gets back in the game via the Edge of Extinction twist, which could then lead to even more.
Article above is from JAN and Everyone knows the winner gets $2m..............but what does Natalie and Michelle get for 2nd and 3rd?
and since they really didn't have a reunion show, i wonder if the other cast members got their full $35k ???

You have no way of knowing where all 12 of Tony's votes go.....do you really think Sara who rode Tony and was completely wrong around almost every turn..and Sara's "big move" voting for Ben....wasn't even her idea....and she would have had to say that at TC........or Michele would have gotten more votes then Nat.....?.....I don't 
I was just responding to you saying Natalie would have won without Tony because she would have swung two votes. Factually that was not true. Now you have clarified that you think she would've gotten other votes against Sarah then she would have against Tony. And I agree. 

Why can't CBS do a separate reunion show?  Sure they went 3 hours last night but why not plan to do a true reunion show in a week or two from now.  Programming is light right now and I am sure the ratings would be great.  Why not try and do something?  It doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't do that.

To me coming back from Extinction the only chance you really have is to do the fire challenge.  I don't think you will win by just being in the final 3.  You have to prove yourself worthy and the best way to do that is to put yourself in that challenge.  The last EoE returnee played that part perfectly realizing that feather in the cap was his only option.  Natalie should have realized that too.  Even if she loses, it's still the right choice.  It's the only way to play the game with that few days of actually being in the game.
In her interview posted above, she said she thought she'd had gotten more votes than she did.  Was surprised that Danni and Sophie didn't vote for her because... she shared peanut butter with them.   :mellow:    Glad sharing peanut butter didn't guarantee votes.  

In her interview posted above, she said she thought she'd had gotten more votes than she did.  Was surprised that Danni and Sophie didn't vote for her because... she shared peanut butter with them.   :mellow:    Glad sharing peanut butter didn't guarantee votes.  
Which is why spending time together without really playing the game of having to vote someone out and just working together for food, getting to know each other etc is such a huge advantage to the EoE person returning.  They essentially get to work the jury without repercussions of game play.  That is the biggest flaw with the way this was set up this season.  If those EoE players were not on the jury then it would have been better.  However, they were giving Natalie a huge advantage possibility (that she didn't take full advantage of because she withdrew socially as Boston Rob stated). 

If Natalie was great at making fire, then I think she made a mistake in not trying to take Tony out herself with fire making. If she is not that great at making fire, which I assume to be the case, then I actually think Natalie would have been better off taking Sarah to the finals and have Michelle go against Tony. First, because Michelle was very good at making fire and thus more likely to beat Tony, and second, if Tony still wins at making fire, there is the potential for Sarah and Tony to split some votes. Since Sarah and Tony were allied so closely, they are the ones who would be the best at poking holes in each others games. As a result, Natalie might end up looking a little bit better.

Why can't CBS do a separate reunion show?  Sure they went 3 hours last night but why not plan to do a true reunion show in a week or two from now.  Programming is light right now and I am sure the ratings would be great.  Why not try and do something?  It doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't do that.
Even for a regular season, I would always wish they would do a longer reunion show, maybe on the internet.  The Ponderosa outtakes were usually awesome to watch.  I think there is a market for it for sure.

Tony deserved this one.  Thank God no EoE winner, let's put that one to bed for good.

Nat should have built fire and laid claim to taking every risk/challenge from the Edge and she might have had a shot.  I still would have hated it.
As much as I hated Underwood winning his season, giving up safety to take on Devins in the fire making competition made his win a little less sour.

That exchange with Tony sunk her

"I'd love to make fire against Tony"

"What's stopping you?"

also.....how in the world does Nat let Sara see she has an idol at the well.......would have liked to see how things played out if the alliance didn't know she had it....

Also nice to see how some of the people look in "real life" away from the dirt and grime  

It was only on a little Zoom screen, but Michelle looked like she lost a little weight and was an absolute smokshow.  Her face is a 10, IMO.

Did Boston Blob smile even 4 times during the entire season?

Amber took the tough times pretty well, but he just scowled like a beaten dog, even before he was voted out.
I love how this is thrown around in this forum when I'd bet he's in better shape than half the dudes in here, myself included.

At any point, over 39 days, did you ever feel like you were in serious danger in this game? We never saw your name written down once. I'm sure you got nervous and you were worried as anyone would be out there, but did you ever feel like you were in serious doo-doo at any point in this game?

Honestly, I don't think there was a point where I really thought that I was endangered like that. I don't remember being in like panic mode, like, "Oh my God, this is my night. I'm going home tonight." I never felt like that. And that's mind-boggling to me how that happened in the game.
I still can't fathom how he wasn't even in the discussion of who to vote out after his first immunity loss after winning 3 in a row.

also.....how in the world does Nat let Sara see she has an idol at the well.......would have liked to see how things played out if the alliance didn't know she had it....
Yeah that was an odd segment.  That's the best place you could think of hiding it?  

Yeah that was an odd segment.  That's the best place you could think of hiding it?  
Sophie hid it much better!  Actually maybe that was why she missed the one tribal council, a bad case of Idol crotch :)

Ben getting all creepy nice and blowing his game up was so weird after the way he played all season.  Dude has some screws loose upstairs imo.  

Reunion would have been nice just to see Michelle on a bigger screen.  Otherwise didn’t miss it at all.  

Ben getting all creepy nice and blowing his game up was so weird after the way he played all season.  Dude has some screws loose upstairs imo.  

Reunion would have been nice just to see Michelle on a bigger screen.  Otherwise didn’t miss it at all.  
Plus it was so unnecessary.  After grinding out 37-38 days to just give up is unheard of.  If he though that much of Denise then win for her and give her 100K or so as she was never going to win on her own.

The bulk of it is 1) re-hash of stuff I've seen and know, and 2) irrelevant to the end. Once they're down to 4... there's no gameplay left. There's no maneuvering, there's no scheming. There's no point in alliances. And... having watched enough seasons, I know the producers haven't been showing me enough to understand it anyway. There's always backstory and other info cut out to drag out the deliberations at 4 to make it seem like a toss-up, anything could happen, but... I know that the decision being made there isn't as close as they're making it seem. They've added fake suspense, and the bulk of what I'm watching is irrelevant filler. Why bother?

At least they've gotten rid of the Torch Parade where they show a clip of every eliminated contestant. That was total fast-forward-fodder.
I watch it all, even though it is usually as you mention a rehash.

Since Season 2, I always skipped the Torch.  Was glad when they killed that.

Can the editing get any more predictable?   When they showed Tony stumbling and bumbling trying to make fire my wife said. "Well we know now that Tony will win the fire challenge"

I was just responding to you saying Natalie would have won without Tony because she would have swung two votes. Factually that was not true. Now you have clarified that you think she would've gotten other votes against Sarah then she would have against Tony. And I agree. 
I did not say this.....

I realize that making sure Tony is gone is the only way Nat would win in the end....but not sure you should also have to feel pressured as the player coming back from extinction to go to fire with the biggest threat still left in the game if you are the one that wins the final immunity challenge....do you have to have that to pad your resume....she controlled a ton of things that happened in the game, even while not being there.....then when she did come back she succeeded in breaking up one of the more solid alliances I have seen on the show....piece by piece....by winning challenges, finding idols,  and forcing game play....hell she got Ben to quit on $2 million dollars.....thats a tough spot for something you really worked hard for to just have to "give it up".....and go to fire....it sucks for her that Tony had an immunity and she couldn't get him out sooner.....but she did try....immediately she put a target on his back....and it almost worked....I think its easy for us and Boston Rob to say "you played it perfectly upon your return, until you didn't take Tony to fire"....but when you have that necklace and control and $2 mil staring you in the face, it's hard to take a chance and not give yourself a shot.....she still had a shot if Sara beats Tony in fire....a pretty good one in my mind......IMO she did almost everything she possibly could from the moment she got booted to build her resume.....except go up against Tony at fire...but she still had a shot at him losing fire...she made "the Boss" scramble for his life in the game and go to fire.....but I think some of those slamming on her for not doing so would have also called her stupid if she did and lost.....until you are actually in that position, it's easy to say....
I pretty much disagree with everything in this post.

Natalie Interview

I think I like Natalie less after reading that. 
So true. You could see it in her face last night. She was pissed she didn’t win. The one advantage she had being on EoE with the jury she didn’t bother to use. I never liked her before and she didn’t act any different. She is so obvious when she’s lying/making stuff up like her story about why she didn’t do the fire challenge. Of course she wouldn’t like the Tony and Sarah hug, lol. She was the one that set that up.

There are a lot of sour people in this thread, but it doesn't surprise me considering the demographic of this place.

People didn't like the discussion about racial inequality last season, didn't like the discussion about gender inequality this season, didn't like the discussion about sexual harassment... because they couldn't identify with being born at a disadvantage, or just refuse to accept that these disadvantages exist. So these people ridicule, cry and moan about how this type of dialogue dampened their viewing experience of a TV show while a multitude of viewers outside of FBG's celebrated that these topics were being played out and being addressed in a vulnerable way. Topics that they have to live out and live with every single day.

It's 2020 yet I feel like this thread has outed so many dinosaurs.

Yeah, shame on me for not feeling bad for  the woman who won $1 million on a game show because she didn't win $2 million the next time she was on a game show. 

Her life has been sooooo hard. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to count your winnings while a handful of morons say mean stuff on Twitter. 

Edit: correction.....3 times. She's been given THREE opportunities to play a TV game show for a 7 figure payday.  But a few trolls sent her some mean DM's about how she "didn't deserve to win" so we're supposed to treat her like Susan B Anthony. Got it.

From a Michelle interview

”This from Michele:

I knew that Adam, Nick, Wendell, and Danni were actually on the cusp of voting for me, and they voted for Tony. And I've talked to them about this post-game. They all, as soon as the votes were read, and they came to me and they told me that there was a situation that Natalie could have potentially won. So instead, they sided with Tony, just to make sure that the right person won the season.”

There are a lot of sour people in this thread, but it doesn't surprise me considering the demographic of this place.

People didn't like the discussion about racial inequality last season, didn't like the discussion about gender inequality this season, didn't like the discussion about sexual harassment... because they couldn't identify with being born at a disadvantage, or just refuse to accept that these disadvantages exist. So these people ridicule, cry and moan about how this type of dialogue dampened their viewing experience of a TV show while a multitude of viewers outside of FBG's celebrated that these topics were being played out and being addressed in a vulnerable way. Topics that they have to live out and live with every single day.

not every platform needs to be preached from.....

One thing I have learned, people who claim to be more "woke" then others and think that they are morally superior are usually the complete opposite.

When I was watching that, I wondered how their spouses felt seeing that. 
That two people have been through multiple life-changing experiences together and grown into close friends? Nobody would say anything if they were both women or if it was a "bromance". 

We don't usually see that type of display of emotion because these people, even if they grow close, only usually know each other for about a month. These two played three times in six years, always together. 

None of the men in here have platonic friends who are women, that they're close with? I didn't think it was that weird at all. Especially since both probably suspected he had just won $2 million dollars a day early--that was really Tony's final challenge, not the Final Tribal Council. The tension and emotion release after winning that fire making contest had to be insane. 

You’re in that same demo no?

Users who are viewing this thread