What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (4 Viewers)

Just finished watching. What a post, dude. Spot on. 

Idk though, hiding in the tree and then having people come right where he is to strategize seems like it could be staged. 😂
I agree based on having someone who is known for spying being in the game. If I want to have a private conversation with someone, I am going out on the beach. Although that then brings up whether you want someone to see you having a conversation. So it is a double edged sword

I'm firing up Australian All-stars now and I just know it's going to be epic. I accidentally spoiled the winner for myself, but it doesn't even matter. 🔥

Reportedly, Fiji has been covid-free for 60+ days and will soon be issuing safety guidelines to resume work. All contestants and crew will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine. But production is expected to start in time to at least air some of next season in the Fall.
This show and Big Brother seem perfect for Covid. 

Get your contestants picked out, minimize your crew and production. Have a base with hired on-site cooks for crew. Test everyone, fly them to the locale, test for the next 2 weeks, then if all clear start up the show. 

Colby Donaldson is the host of the after-show for ALONE on the History Channel. And... he sucks. If they were once grooming him to be Probst's eventual replacement, I hope they've moved on. I don't think he'd be good at all.
If they want the replacement to be a former castaway who has experience in TV, I bet Rick Devens would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see that being reported. Are you just assuming?
They haven't started filming yet and no plan till at least labor day. 40 days on the island brings them to October. How long to edit? I would think February at the earliest

I mean, not really. At least, not the version of the show we are used to seeing. They cut out what is irrelevant, and leave in all the important story points, but, it's hard to know what will matter without knowing who wins. 

When some guy that finishes 4th makes a double-secret alliance deal that turns into nothing, they ignore it and don't show it, for example. But if they know he wins, they have to include it. But they can't really "lock" the first few episodes for broadcast until they see who wins.

And, speaking as someone who works in this industry... it's not getting them much ahead to start editing before the end. At most, they're saving 37 days, after all. So it's not worth putting out an inferior product in order to make an airdate 5 weeks earlier. By the time it turns around and airs... it won't matter. The way I count it, they make 14 episodes. So if they can be on the air by mid-September, they can air 14 by Dec. 16th. Or, perhaps, they can air 2 a week and premiere on Nov. 4th. They're not going to want to run later than Dec. 16 or cross the break, though. (I work on network airdate scheduling and you always have to work backwards from your finale date).  BUT... if they can't hit 11/4, they might as well wait until or after 1/6/21 to premiere. Running five or six episodes in Nov/Dec then taking several weeks off around the holidays then coming back and only having eight or nine episodes in the new year doesn't really help CBS. They'd end up with nothing to air on Wednesday nights during the March Madness period, which they'd hate... better to get all those good ratings in for every night of the week. Ideally for CBS, if they can't make 2 a week starting 11/4, they're better off premiering in late January (high ratings period due to (potentially) the NFL playoffs) and airing through May and through two Sweeps periods. 
Come on, this is an internet message board......no fair using insider knowledge to make sense. 

They should just make a mashup of Alone and Survivor.  The contestants arrive on the island, spend 14 days living on their own with a go-pro and then merge into 2 or 3 tribes.  The crew can self quarantine ahead of time.  Maybe each contestant gets to give out a very brief written description of themselves which all the others can read (and they can lie and make up whatever they want to say), and then they can exchange notes during the 14 days.  Maybe setup a challenge where they show up one at a time and it is a timed event, winner gets something delivered to their camp.   Seems like a show based on living in an isolated location for 39 days should be able to figure out how to get around covid.

Back in 2011, they had a show called Expedition Impossible with three person teams doing something similar. It was a one shot, summer fill in show. I liked it for what it was. This sounds much tougher though.

Just finished his new show Treasure Island, it was better than I expected.
Recently saw all 6 seasons of Bear GryIls THE ISLAND - where he strands ~12 British people on an island for 30+ days.  They are only provided two 5-gal canisters of water, some fishhooks, and some machetes and they have ~2 in the group that are assigned to film everything.  No production staff.  No challenges.  No rewards.   No tribal councils....no vote offs.   I found it interesting in a "Social experiment sort of way" in that each season, the group dynamics are different (group of all men, all women, mixed men/women, high paying jobbers vs day labor wagers)

You can find the 1st 4 seasons are on Amazon Prime........Season 5 and 6  i had to watch online. 
The sixth series, now renamed Treasure Island with Bear Grylls, started airing on 8 Sept 2019. This series is the first to involve cash prizes but dropped from air to the island for the participants to find.      [actually, i didn't like this season as much due to the manipulation factor

Back in 2011, they had a show called Expedition Impossible with three person teams doing something similar. It was a one shot, summer fill in show. I liked it for what it was. This sounds much tougher though.
I remember seeing that series.

Also just finished the Fiji Eco-Challenge series as well.

I'm on episode 4 of The World's Toughest Race on Amazon. The old people are predictably struggling early.
One thing that i really liked about the series is the production team constantly providing GPS maps of the course, with colors for stages, checkpoints, team locations, etc.
especially since it must be tough to try to tell an overlapping story that can last between 5 -14 days depending on which team and  which day they are showing and how they may be ahead or behind other teams.

I know it's says World's Toughest Race in the title, but i thought "whomever decided to stage the Waterfall climb and immediately follow it up by a lengthy hypothermia swim must be 1 sick *******".   I felt due to the hypothermia factor that there should have been a mandatory overnight camp there.    

Recently saw all 6 seasons of Bear GryIls THE ISLAND - where he strands ~12 British people on an island for 30+ days.  They are only provided two 5-gal canisters of water, some fishhooks, and some machetes and they have ~2 in the group that are assigned to film everything.  No production staff.  No challenges.  No rewards.   No tribal councils....no vote offs.   I found it interesting in a "Social experiment sort of way" in that each season, the group dynamics are different (group of all men, all women, mixed men/women, high paying jobbers vs day labor wagers)

You can find the 1st 4 seasons are on Amazon Prime........Season 5 and 6  i had to watch online. 
The sixth series, now renamed Treasure Island with Bear Grylls, started airing on 8 Sept 2019. This series is the first to involve cash prizes but dropped from air to the island for the participants to find.      [actually, i didn't like this season as much due to the manipulation factor

I remember seeing that series.

Also just finished the Fiji Eco-Challenge series as well.
Will have to check this out.  I have been watching Alone.  just started the most recent season.  Its pretty good. 

Yeah I binged season 6 of Alone last week and enjoyed it.  No real spoilers here but

The person who won was the only one in the field who had even a chance in hell of surviving out there through the winter .. very impressive..

JZilla said:
Yeah I binged season 6 of Alone last week and enjoyed it.  No real spoilers here but

The person who won was the only one in the field who had even a chance in hell of surviving out there through the winter .. very impressive..
Hmm i can’t wait to see who wins.  I’m only a few episodes in. They are all quite impressive. 100 days though i can’t even imagine.

Just saw this article from a few days ago. It suggests that Survivor might start filming this month with Fiji in Phase 2 and Prime Minister spoke specifically of opening beaches up for Survivor and other production who film on the beaches usually. However Fiji would require anyone flying in to post a negative test and then quarantine for 14 days among other guidelines. Feasible? Maybe but there looks like hope is on the horizon for a possible filming start either this month or the next month or 2. If they start filming this month they can have it done for an early Feb debut. However the article doesn't mention or come near to saying it's a done deal or if everyone would be ready to fly in this month either. Also no official word in Fiji yet on opening beaches for filming either 

Survivor could start filming in Sept in Fiji per report.

Pinky...

Made a good faith attempt to watch this... heard comments like "I was on the most diverse season ever"... "I was on the first season with three black finalists"...  "I won.  But the next time I played, they targeted anyone of color that I got close with... I guess I could have played better".  The latter was from Jeremy, a player that I really like and respect (and root for).  I was especially interested in his commentary when I saw him on the panel.   I stopped watching at that point; I wasn't surprised or alarmed at their comments and the video was long.

Are we surprised that black survivor contestants bond with each other?   People will bond on common traits; be that gender, race, age, or even profession (Ironically, most notably "cops" on Survivor).  Conversely, people can feel separation based on different traits.  I don't deny this is real but do believe some it is based on perception.

The show labels itself as a social experiment.  And it is... twenty people of diverse backgrounds thrown together albeit in a contrived situation...  Gilligan's Island on steroids, if you will.  The game tries to address social issues; actually, I think they try to hard sometimes and force an issue.  Overall, I think they've been exceptional at putting issues in front of the public.  Dividing tribes by race was ballsy. The outing of Zeke, a transgender contestant, and Dan's failure to recognize his own inappropriate touching behavior were more impactful because it was reality TV.

Should the show have more black contestants?  Probably.  Cast selection must be an interesting process.  I've seen metrics that say 80% of the applicants are white; not sure how much that has changed in recent years. 

yes let’s just ignore it.  That will help.  Surely that plan will get us to a place where we don’t have to have such conversations again.  They will just go away 🙄
Ignore what?  Are you saying the survivor producers show favoritism and pick a certain color to be on the show? you think they don't pick the best contestants in their eyes? Does Survivor need a Rooney Rule to make you happy?

Interesting clip. The problem I see is that every year, there is one winner and 15 to 20 who don't win. And it seems that every one who doesn't win claims that it was due to the fact that they were too strong, too smart, too strategic, or just plain "too much of a threat" to the other players. They all seem incredibly unaware. It's not limited to Survivor either. You see the same thing on Big Brother and Amazing Race. The fact is that some contestants play too hard too soon or are just plain unlikable. It's not just based upon one factor like race or gender or religion.  That's not to say that there isn't evidence of systemic racism. Certainly the make up of the contestant pool doesn't reflect the racial representation of the US as a whole. But the assertion that Survivor was intentionally favoring players solely based upon race seems unsupported. There does seem to be a lot of anger about it though.

Interesting clip. The problem I see is that every year, there is one winner and 15 to 20 who don't win. And it seems that every one who doesn't win claims that it was due to the fact that they were too strong, too smart, too strategic, or just plain "too much of a threat" to the other players. They all seem incredibly unaware. It's not limited to Survivor either. You see the same thing on Big Brother and Amazing Race. The fact is that some contestants play too hard too soon or are just plain unlikable. It's not just based upon one factor like race or gender or religion.  That's not to say that there isn't evidence of systemic racism. Certainly the make up of the contestant pool doesn't reflect the racial representation of the US as a whole. But the assertion that Survivor was intentionally favoring players solely based upon race seems unsupported. There does seem to be a lot of anger about it though.
Yup.

I've seen metrics that say 80% of the applicants are white; not sure how much that has changed in recent years. 
It will be interesting to see if that changes now that the discussion of underrepresentation is out in the open. I also wonder if what Davie said at the S37 reunion had any impact. He lamented that Survivor isn't as big a deal in the Black community as it is in the white community, and encouraged more minorities to apply. 

After the fiasco of how they (mis)handled the very recent sexual harassment issue, I'm not sure the show gets the benefit of the doubt for any concerns like this that are being raised.  

It will be interesting to see if that changes now that the discussion of underrepresentation is out in the open. I also wonder if what Davie said at the S37 reunion had any impact. He lamented that Survivor isn't as big a deal in the Black community as it is in the white community, and encouraged more minorities to apply. 
That might be true, but can't imagine that stopping tons of black fans from applying. On a typical 18 contestant season, if they cast an average 2.3 black people per season that would satisfy the representation. I think the underrepresentation of the Hispanic/Latino community is much greater (maybe there are more in just CA and the SouthWest), but if brown people don't care about Survivor, then it's not much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread