What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Wayne Gallman, ATL (2 Viewers)

Borden

Footballguy
Wayne Gallman - RB - Clemson

6'0" 215lbs

DraftBreakdown vs 2016 Florida St.

Combine Profile 40: 4.60   BP: 19.  Vert: 29.5   Broad: 120   3Cone: 7.17   20Shuttle: 4.28

Plays fast with high effort and a good burst. Feet are always driving. Strong enough to use a solid stiff arm and shifty enough to make defenders miss with hop cuts. Can catch out of the backfield and shows a willingness to block.

Might need more patience. Runs a bit too high doesn't have the extra gear for the long runs. Needs to build strength for pass pro and clean up blocking tech. 

I really like this guy. His play speed and effort is fantastic. He has enough moves to make the odd guy miss. It seems he has room to put on weight in his lower half to gain the strength he needs. 

*I will try to add more tomorrow. I will delete this thread if Gallman already has one. My search didn't come back with anything. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If he goes to a zone scheme then watch out, I feel like he could be really good.  

A couple of notes I had on him that I wanted to share:  Runs High, has a good jump step, avoids contact a little bit too often, plays better in space, elusive for his size with good speed (kind of builds it up though), can slash his way forward and with strength.  He reminds me a lot of Latavius Murray with some of those, but a little bit on the quicker side.  Gallman is smaller so it makes sense but style wise they do a lot of similar things. 

Why no love for Gallman? Good situation of which for him to take advantage. And he's a pretty good runner.

He has been a low profile prospect since before the draft. At his current price, I think he's a great dart. It's not like anyone has run away with the job in New York.

I like Gallman but I also like Perkins. Could be a nice pairing for the Giants but bad for fantasy owners.

I like Gallman but I also like Perkins. Could be a nice pairing for the Giants but bad for fantasy owners.
One can never predict how these things will work out.

But I'm trying to reconcile the love for comparably situated backs like Perine and Mack with the lack thereof for Gallman.

Not that hard to figure out if you are willing to be objective.  And the pro careers of those 3 could shake out in all sorts of different ways, do we can only speculate on what we know.

Perine figures to be a 1a RB in a RBBC.  In that backfield - provided that he beats out Kelly, and Perine is the more naturally talented of the two - Perine should get enough work that he's a legit FF RB2.  He's very likely to give up snaps on passing downs, so as of right now his upside looks to be capped.

Mack walks in as a very legit 1b to Gore's 1a.  IND has to reduce Gore's workload and that lands in Mack's lap given what else IND has in their backfield.  Mack does not like to run between the tackles at all, he fumbles too much, and his pass protection is very spotty to be generous.  But he is capable of big plays, so he could be an occasional asset.  Probably a FF bye week filler to start.

Gallman walks into some possible opportunity, but does he have enough game to take advantage?  He runs way too high and presses the LOS way too quickly.  His ability between tackles is questionable - he did okay in a spread offense but struggled when the box tightened up.  He's not fast and is not an outside threat, and goes down on first contact way too often.  His pass protection is also very very spotty.  But he runs very strong, and when he gets to the second level can change lanes well and either juke or stiff arm secondaries for extra yardage.  You just can't help but wonder if his game will translate well at the pro level.  He may be too inconsistent and net way too many 0 to 2 yd runs to ever make an OC want to feed him regularly.  So he's a much bigger risk and figures to start off as a FF PS player to see if he'll change his game enough to play in a pro style O.

Not that hard to figure out if you are willing to be objective.  And the pro careers of those 3 could shake out in all sorts of different ways, do we can only speculate on what we know.

Perine figures to be a 1a RB in a RBBC.  In that backfield - provided that he beats out Kelly, and Perine is the more naturally talented of the two - Perine should get enough work that he's a legit FF RB2.  He's very likely to give up snaps on passing downs, so as of right now his upside looks to be capped.

Mack walks in as a very legit 1b to Gore's 1a.  IND has to reduce Gore's workload and that lands in Mack's lap given what else IND has in their backfield.  Mack does not like to run between the tackles at all, he fumbles too much, and his pass protection is very spotty to be generous.  But he is capable of big plays, so he could be an occasional asset.  Probably a FF bye week filler to start.

Gallman walks into some possible opportunity, but does he have enough game to take advantage?  He runs way too high and presses the LOS way too quickly.  His ability between tackles is questionable - he did okay in a spread offense but struggled when the box tightened up.  He's not fast and is not an outside threat, and goes down on first contact way too often.  His pass protection is also very very spotty.  But he runs very strong, and when he gets to the second level can change lanes well and either juke or stiff arm secondaries for extra yardage.  You just can't help but wonder if his game will translate well at the pro level.  He may be too inconsistent and net way too many 0 to 2 yd runs to ever make an OC want to feed him regularly.  So he's a much bigger risk and figures to start off as a FF PS player to see if he'll change his game enough to play in a pro style O.
There's nothing objective in this post.

There's nothing objective in this post.

Really?  I have no dog in the hunt on any of these guys, so where's my bias?  If Gallman doesn't learn to lower his pad level - a lot - and run with some patience while his blocking develops, as well as develop some better footwork to enhance his balance, he'll never be an impact FF asset.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Really?  I have no dog in the hunt on any of these guys, so where's my bias?  If Gallman doesn't learn to lower his pad level - a lot - and run with some patience while his blocking develops, as well as develop some better footwork to enhance his balance, he'll never be an impact FF asset.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
An objective observation goes like this:

4th round pick Smaje Perine gets drafted into fluid situation behind unispiring incumbent "Fat Rob" Kelley.

4th round pick Marlon Mack gets drafted into potentially fluid situation behind aging starter Frank Gore

4th round pick Wayne Gallman gets drafted into fluid situation behind unproven declared starter Paul Perkins.

An objective observation goes like this:

4th round pick Smaje Perine gets drafted into fluid situation behind unispiring incumbent "Fat Rob" Kelley.

4th round pick Marlon Mack gets drafted into potentially fluid situation behind aging starter Frank Gore

4th round pick Wayne Gallman gets drafted into fluid situation behind unproven declard starter Paul Perkins.

So being objective means you can only provide an opinion on the situation that a player was drafted into?

Thanks.  I'll give your opinion the consideration it deserves.

Have a great day.

So being objective means you can only provide an opinion on the situation that a player was drafted into?
You can say what you want about the player, but all the guys I mentioned were drafted in the 4th round just like Gallman. I know Gallman's ADP is not way after those other guys because he runs with high pad level.

You can say what you want about the player, but all the guys I mentioned were drafted in the 4th round just like Gallman. I know Gallman's ADP is not way after those other guys because he runs with high pad level.

I want to be certain that I am not misinterpreting your position.  So if Perine had been drafted by the Giants and Gallman by WAS, you're saying it would be Gallman getting drafted in FF first rounds and Perine would be a late round pick.  You believe they have roughly equal ability because they were drafted in the same round?

Would that summarize your position accurately?

I want to be certain that I am not misinterpreting your position.  So if Perine had been drafted by the Giants and Gallman by WAS, you're saying it would be Gallman getting drafted in FF first rounds and Perine would be a late round pick.  You believe they have roughly equal ability because they were drafted in the same round?

Would that summarize your position accurately?
They're ability is TBD. And it has has nothing to do with their redraft value.

IMO, Gallman has more ability than Perine.

One can never predict how these things will work out.

But I'm trying to reconcile the love for comparably situated backs like Perine and Mack with the lack thereof for Gallman.
People were a lot higher on Perine and Mack during the pre-draft process than Gallman so that has carried over to this period. If the situation is comparable, then why not favor the guy you think is the better bet to take advantage of the situation?

I actually thought Perine was one of the under-rated backs in this class. Gallman wasn't even on my radar (that's not to say I thought he was bad, I just literally hadn't paid any attention to him).

They're ability is TBD. And it has has nothing to do with their redraft value.

IMO, Gallman has more ability than Perine.

Got it.  So until they actually start playing in NFL games and establishing a pro resume, you have no way to establish their capability other than what their NFL draft position is and what your opinion is of the situation they are going into.

If that's the case, then putting Gallman over Perine is debatable but definitely understandable.  

He went 2.14 in my 14 teamer and to the team that had Perkins.

This guy is hard to judge. Went in the 4th, but Perkins the supposed starter went in the 5th and has nothing guaranteed.

He isnt a high value player right now and shouldnt be for a bit, but in actuality he has no different value than a Mack, Hunt or Kamara all are backups with upside. With only assumptions of who is more talented separating them. 

That being said, I wouldnt take Gallman ahead of any of them but he isnt far off from that pack as people suggest.  

Got it.  So until they actually start playing in NFL games and establishing a pro resume, you have no way to establish their capability other than what their NFL draft position is and what your opinion is of the situation they are going into.
You can look at many different things, size, 40 time, college stats ect; but I'm pretty sure draft position provides the best indication of talent, admittedly not much.

I know we all form our own opinions, which makes this hobby entertaining. It's still wise to use the knowledge of every team's scouting department put together. If we look at it objectively, :P the NFL Draft is way more accurate than most of us.

IMO, it's way easier and more accurate to identify a good situation than figuring out which guy has the most talent.

This guy is hard to judge. Went in the 4th, but Perkins the supposed starter went in the 5th and has nothing guaranteed.

He isnt a high value player right now and shouldnt be for a bit, but in actuality he has no different value than a Mack, Hunt or Kamara all are backups with upside. With only assumptions of who is more talented separating them. 

That being said, I wouldnt take Gallman ahead of any of them but he isnt far off from that pack as people suggest.  
I'd rather have Gallman with my last pick than what I'd have to spend to get any of those other guys.

Agree. I think one of the factors separating them is situation or at least perceived situation. When people think Chiefs, they also think about Andy Reid and the big years McCoy, Westbrook and Charles had with him. When people think of the Colts or Saints, they think of the potential for several seasons of opportunity with a high scoring offense. The Giants haven't done too much for fantasy with RBs recently and Eli hasn't inspired much faith. They are all the same guy in a sense- it's really the offenses that people are ranking. 

You can look at many different things, size, 40 time, college stats ect; but I'm pretty sure draft position provides the best indication of talent, admittedly not much.

I know we all form our own opinions, which makes this hobby entertaining. It's still wise to use the knowledge of every team's scouting department put together. If we look at it objectively, :P the NFL Draft is way more accurate than most of us.

IMO, it's way easier to identify a good situation than figuring out which guy has the most talent. The fantasy word definitely feels the same way, especially in redraft. Do you guys really think Perine gets his 7th round ADP because people love him so much more than all the other 3rd and 4th round rbs?

No offense intended by the following, because you are by far not the only person to put forth this mentality, but I absolutely love drafting against guys who feel that an individual RB's futures are in any way part of a repeatable data set and therefore are predictable in some way rather than being wholly independent events.

Agree. I think one of the factors separating them is situation or at least perceived situation. When people think Chiefs, they also think about Andy Reid and the big years McCoy, Westbrook and Charles had with him. When people think of the Colts or Saints, they think of the potential for several seasons of opportunity with a high scoring offense. The Giants haven't done too much for fantasy with RBs recently and Eli hasn't inspired much faith. They are all the same guy in a sense- it's really the offenses that people are ranking. 
Whats funny is Howard was in the same situation last year, look at him now. In a mess of a RB situation with a somewhat bad running team with no one giving him the benefit of the doubt since Langford was the guy and Carey was the back up. Was a late 2nd early 3rd pick in most of my dyno leagues. Things happen, its a crap shoot, but saying Gallman is a 4th round draft pick makes me ask questions like who they taking over him? 

No offense intended by the following, because you are by far not the only person to put forth this mentality, but I absolutely love drafting against guys who feel that an individual RB's are in any way part of a repeatable data set and therefore are predictable in some way rather than being wholly independent events.
"One death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin

Whats funny is Howard was in the same situation last year, look at him now. In a mess of a RB situation with a bad team no one giving him the benefit of the doubt since Langford was the guy and Carey was the back up. Was a late 2nd early 3rd pick in most of my dyno leagues. Things happen, its a crap shoot, but saying Gallman is a 4th round draft pick makes me as questions like who they taking over him? 
Yeah, that has been a total 180. At least there, Matt Forte had put up year after year of production so people might have been able to envision a Bears RB being successful (even though I think that is often illogical). It is important to remember how quickly things do change. 

Yeah, that has been a total 180. At least there, Matt Forte had put up year after year of production so people might have been able to envision a Bears RB being successful (even though I think that is often illogical). It is important to remember how quickly things do change. 
Agree, I think the problem in NY has been more of a worthy RB and the OLine, not that their offense was good or that they would like their run game to be. If Gallman is good, he will play. just like a Hunt or Mack will. I have more faith in Gallman getting touches than I do in a D. Henry getting his. Henry may be great but he is behind a great player, Gallman is not behind a great player. I am in no way comparing talent. 

No offense intended by the following, because you are by far not the only person to put forth this mentality, but I absolutely love drafting against guys who feel that an individual RB's are in any way part of a repeatable data set and therefore are predictable in some way rather than being wholly independent events.
I both agree and disagree with you. The idea that Andy Reid coached Westbrook,Charles and McCoy so we should expect the Chiefs to put out a great RB for fantasy is absurd. There is no magic Andy Reid scheme that churns out 1500 yard RBs. However, there is the possibility that Andy Reid is better than other coaches at identifying talented RBs and putting them in the best positions to use their skills. In no way can we plug a RB into Reid's system and get the next McCoy, but we can expect that Andy Reid is able to find a very talented RB and get the most out of him in the offense. 

Agree, I think the problem in NY has been more of a worthy RB and the OLine, not that their offense was good or that they would like their run game to be. If Gallman is good, he will play. just like a Hunt or Mack will. I have more faith in Gallman getting touches than I do in a D. Henry getting his. Henry may be great but he is behind a great player, Gallman is not behind a great player. I am in no way comparing talent. 
I don't think much of Gallman. He's probably a JAG, but so are Perkins, Vareen and Darkwa. As you said, the hill Gallman has to climb to reach the top of the depth chart isn't very high. It might be the lowest in the NFL. 

I both agree and disagree with you. The idea that Andy Reid coached Westbrook,Charles and McCoy so we should expect the Chiefs to put out a great RB for fantasy is absurd. There is no magic Andy Reid scheme that churns out 1500 yard RBs. However, there is the possibility that Andy Reid is better than other coaches at identifying talented RBs and putting them in the best positions to use their skills. In no way can we plug a RB into Reid's system and get the next McCoy, but we can expect that Andy Reid is able to find a very talented RB and get the most out of him in the offense. 
Andy Reid's history proves his system benefits running backs. It's sort of understandable to bump Hunt for that reason IMO; but you can't assume he'll win the job either.

Don't you think it's a bit premature to judge McAdoo? He hasn't had a long enough tenure to establish a pattern, nor even had a good running back yet.

Andy Reid's history proves his system benefits running backs. It's sort of understandable to bump Hunt for that reason IMO; but you can't assume he'll win the job either.

Don't you think it's a bit premature to judge McAdoo? He hasn't had a long enough tenure to establish a pattern, nor even had a good running back yet.
I don't think it does. It could mean Andy Reid is better than other coaches/GMs at identifying elite NFL RBs.Are there systems out there that McCoy wouldn't have done well under? I am not judging McAdoo. I think the Giants run game problems are player and line related, not a flaw of the coach. If prime Brian Westbrook landed on the Giants, I think he puts up 1500 total yards on an annual basis. 

I liked Gallman going into the draft quite a bit and I think the difference there is just perceived value like some have pointed out.  People have already appointed Perkins as "the guy", Mack is being considered the successor to Gore as well as Perine is considered at least in a timeshare.  That leaves Gallman to play 2nd fiddle while the others get their roles earlier.  That gives people an opportunity to take a guy who they might have considered a better prospect of Gallman > any of those others.  If you truly believe in talent > situation then why not?  Which generally I prefer the talent side.  

Honestly I don't remember watching the Giants a lot but from what I remember, Perkins didn't really stand out or just failed to stay in my mind.  I didn't even remember them drafting Perkins last year.  And if you want to put your entire stock into draft position you could say 5th round (Perkins) not as good as 4th round (Gallman).  Obviously that leads to problems but with Perkins being un-memorable to me and the fact I liked Gallman before landing spot, makes me want to take fliers on the guy.  

I don't think much of Gallman. He's probably a JAG, but so are Perkins, Vareen and Darkwa. As you said, the hill Gallman has to climb to reach the top of the depth chart isn't very high. It might be the lowest in the NFL. 
That's precisely why as a Perkins dynasty owner, I am going to try to grab Gallman even if it's a few rounds early. I think there's some real value to be had in the Giants backfield and don't think that McAdoo wants to go the full-fledged committee route. I am just not convinced yet that Perkins is going to be the guy.

That's precisely why as a Perkins dynasty owner, I am going to try to grab Gallman even if it's a few rounds early. I think there's some real value to be had in the Giants backfield and don't think that McAdoo wants to go the full-fledged committee route. I am just not convinced yet that Perkins is going to be the guy.
Gallman is almost free, so as long as your rosters are deep enough, that is a no brainer. 

His current ADP at mfl is in the middle of the 4th round (which feels about right for him IMO).  So you're looking at grabbing him mid 2nd, like near or before Foreman?  Or are you thinking maybe even higher than that?

His current ADP at mfl is in the middle of the 4th round (which feels about right for him IMO).  So you're looking at grabbing him mid 2nd, like near or before Foreman?  Or are you thinking maybe even higher than that?
I'd put him ahead of Foreman right now - even though Miller hasn't lived up to expectations, Foreman has a tougher hurdle to meaningful playing time than Gallman does.

Unfortunately, my draft is Labor Day weekend, so if during preseason Gallman looks like he's got a legitimate shot at beating out Perkins, there won't be a chance yet to get Gallman cheap.

I like Gallman basically because of opportunity.  I grabbed him in the 4th of a rookie draft - feels about right. A little bit of luck and maybe you get a steal - he runs hard. If not, no biggie. 

took him at 4.08 in a rookie draft that started three days after the NFL draft.  3rd-4th round still seems about right at this stage.

took him in the 5th in an idp. 

wasn't all that impressed with his film, but figured he was an ok gamble at that point.  

on the flip side, not sure how much he was able to show in that offense, so it's possible he can do more than he was really asked to do there. 

Reached for him at 2x11 in my Rookie Draft but I've been really high on his on-field ability. He was underutilized as a receiver at Clemson and I don't know how much of his productivity was an aspect of having Deshaun Watson at QB but I do like that the coaching staff, very highly regarded, were willing to treat Gallman as a bellcow RB.

I actually kind of see a little Brandon Bolden in his game and like that he's a tough, hard nosed RB. Those guys tend to carve out some kind of role in the NFL over more flashy, edge guys who shy from contact. Also like the work ethic he's showing.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/giants-wayne-gallman-getting-grip-on-playbook-through-repetition-1.13743563

"Earlier this week, when his Clemson National Championship team was honored at the White House, Gallman chose to remain with the Giants even though they did not have any official practices that day. And on Tuesday, when the Giants took the field for the start of minicamp, Gallman went out early to catch passes off the machine."

Gallman is their best bet to sustain a running game, IMO. I'm not super-high on him, but he's got enough talent to surprise.

They've got to get Gallman some touches to see what he can do. You would think it would be very soon.

Gallman is their best bet to sustain a running game, IMO. I'm not super-high on him, but he's got enough talent to surprise.

They've got to get Gallman some touches to see what he can do. You would think it would be very soon.
I would imagine it depends on whether the coaching staff feels like anyone can run behind that line. And more importantly, it probably comes down to Gallman's pass protection abilities, which seemed to keep Perkins off the field for the first half of the season or so last year.

In any event, they need some spark.

Saw that they are thinking of giving Darkwa more carries. Who would have to be a healthy scratch at RB for Gallman to play?

Users who are viewing this thread