What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Wayne Gallman, ATL (1 Viewer)

This guy isn't getting enough buzz considering the opportunity.  Mid round rookie, looked better than any RB has on the team in half a quarter.  Sure the Giants have been terrible and he's not going to average 5yds a pop.  But he can get volume, TD's and catch a few passes.  To me he's the #1 waiver wire add in dynasty this week, easily.
Picked him up as a bye week sub. Will monitor going forward.

Just jumped on the Gallman express in both leagues, he looked good and caught a TD pass.... If Mcadoo has any sense I think he starts to feature this guy, Perkins has shown nothing and it seems Darkwa is JAG or else they would have tried to feature him more often.  He is a hard hold for me now, but the giants have all the right pieces in the aerial game (OBJ, sterling, engram, bmarsh) and they are getting hot finally, could be a great recipe to face boxes that are not stacked

Last edited by a moderator:
Just jumped on the Gallman express in both leagues, he looked good and caught a TD pass.... If Mcadoo has any sense I think he starts to feature this guy, Perkins has shown nothing and it seems Darkwa is JAG or else they would have tried to feature him more often.  He is a hard hold for me now, but the giants have all the right pieces in the aerial game (OBJ, sterling, engram, bmarsh) and they are getting hot finally, could be a great recipe to face boxes that are not stacked
This does make sense.  Gallman looks like a good RB.  It comes down to how the RBBC is handled and none of us have that answer.   

Darkwa AND Perkins both practicing :unsure:

BACKFIELD. MUDDIED.
McAdoo would have to be legitimately insane to continue give Perkins touches at this point. I watch a lot of snaps, even RBs I consider to be washed/on the verge of washed (AP, Forte, Lacy etc.) have looked leagues better than him. There's no way a rational coach continues to trot him out there, I refuse to believe it.

The reason I'm a fan of Gallman is not so much his talent but the way in which he was utilized last week. He was given plenty of RZ opportunities and was utilized in the check down game. If he ever sees solid volume I imagine he has a RB2 type floor/ceiling.

McAdoo would have to be legitimately insane to continue give Perkins touches at this point. I watch a lot of snaps, even RBs I consider to be washed/on the verge of washed (AP, Forte, Lacy etc.) have looked leagues better than him. There's no way a rational coach continues to trot him out there, I refuse to believe it.

The reason I'm a fan of Gallman is not so much his talent but the way in which he was utilized last week. He was given plenty of RZ opportunities and was utilized in the check down game. If he ever sees solid volume I imagine he has a RB2 type floor/ceiling.
I'm a Giants fan and I've seen Darkwa run better than Perkins since last year. Giants are irrationally in love with the guy... I was hoping Perkins would STILL be nicked up so Gallman could have a clear shot with just Darkwa, but with Perkins back I haven't heard any indication from practice so far that Gallman even "earned more carries".

Let's just hope macadoo isn't as stupid as his name. For my desperation start of the week I'm going Collins over Gallman and praying he doesn't fumble. With everyone healthy on Giants I'm doing a wait and see unless we get indication Gallman is the starter.

Just have to hope that McAdoo doesn't continue to play the substandard veterans like he did with Jennings last year.

At least last year they had the veteran experience to consider because of their playoff situation. This year is a lost one, so maybe they feature Gallman earlier than would normally be the case.

Let's just hope macadoo isn't as stupid as his name. For my desperation start of the week I'm going Collins over Gallman and praying he doesn't fumble. With everyone healthy on Giants I'm doing a wait and see unless we get indication Gallman is the starter.

Just have to hope that McAdoo doesn't continue to play the substandard veterans like he did with Jennings last year.

At least last year they had the veteran experience to consider because of their playoff situation. This year is a lost one, so maybe they feature Gallman earlier than would normally be the case.
We can only hope... 

Damn Weebs, based on our thread activity, it looks like we are taking shots on the same RBs and our bench is very similiar. Best of luck to you.

I agree with SSND that mcadoo would have to be legitimately bat#### insane to keep perkins on the field as the starter, right? I mean come on, right?

That O-line is a bit of a mess but sometimes units gell as the season goes on; <snip> The Giants have had a muddled rbbc approach for 3 years (since they signed Vereen) and it's been forever since they've had an effective run game that featured a back getting 15-20 touches per game.
This. Is. Why. I am hesitant to get on board. This may be the beginning of a new era, but if so, I won't be the beneficiary. I also think the odds are good that any rb who might emerge this year for the Giants will be supplanted or at least pulled into a committee next year after the draft.

They could have Barry Sanders & OJ Simpson in their prime & still average ~50 RuYd a game. That Giants OL is a disaster. If they excel at anything it’s faiiling to run block. Oh, and False start. They’re good at that too. 

Mill be shocked if any Giants RB ends up worthy of anything more than a BYE week prayer this season. 

I gave up on Perkins in week 2. Watched most of their week 1 & 2 games - not pretty. 

They could have Barry Sanders & OJ Simpson in their prime & still average ~50 RuYd a game. That Giants OL is a disaster. If they excel at anything it’s faiiling to run block. Oh, and False start. They’re good at that too. 

Mill be shocked if any Giants RB ends up worthy of anything more than a BYE week prayer this season. 

I gave up on Perkins in week 2. Watched most of their week 1 & 2 games - not pretty. 
You may be under estimating how a decent back can make the line look better. Perkins and Darkwa don't have that ability but I think Gallman can.

You may be under estimating how a decent back can make the line look better. Perkins and Darkwa don't have that ability but I think Gallman can.
I’m unconvinced. 

If it was just bad blocking I’d agree. But the false starts are both drive killers and value killers for a RB. Teams tend to pass more when it’s 2nd & 17 or 3rd & 12 instead of 2nd & 7 & 3rd & 2. 

I dunno.  Macccaddoo comes off pretty dumb to me.  Rodgers made him.  He will be out of job soon.  Watch

I’m unconvinced. 

If it was just bad blocking I’d agree. But the false starts are both drive killers and value killers for a RB. Teams tend to pass more when it’s 2nd & 17 or 3rd & 12 instead of 2nd & 7 & 3rd & 2. 
False starts is probably the easiest thing a line can fix. I think you need to let go off Perkins busting and reassess the situation with a new view. You may be missing out on a good pick up.

False starts is probably the easiest thing a line can fix. I think you need to let go off Perkins busting and reassess the situation with a new view. You may be missing out on a good pick up.
Nah - ain’t about Perkins bitterness at al. 

he was already picked up in both my leagues. 

Giants OL stinks and I’m not convinced they can consistently produce on offense. 

time will tell. Maybe I’m wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time or the last. 

Giants coach Ben McAdoo said the team will use a hot-hand approach at running back.

Fourth-round rookie Wayne Gallman had a mini-breakout after replacing an injured Paul Perkins last week, but the coaching staff seems hesitant to hand him the reins. "He's a talented, young player," McAdoo said of Gallman. "He has a lot to learn, but he's very, very willing and works hard at it." The "lot to learn" line is troubling for those hoping to see Gallman get a shot, and it remains possible the Giants turn back to Perkins, who was able to get in a limited practice Wednesday, or Orleans Darkwa, who appears ready to return from his back injury. Gallman is the best long-term bet, but it is impossible to trust anyone in this backfield this week.
:(

The "Lot to learn" part really worries me. With as bad as the giants O-line is, i'm sure that lot to learn reference is mostly blitz pickup.

The "Lot to learn" part really worries me. With as bad as the giants O-line is, i'm sure that lot to learn reference is mostly blitz pickup.
isnt vereen basically assured of most passing down work? as long as vereen is healthy you're just hoping to get 12-20 carries from gallman each game... flex play or high end rb2 if the matchup is right... this assuming he can garner nearly all the rushing down work. 

isnt vereen basically assured of most passing down work? as long as vereen is healthy you're just hoping to get 12-20 carries from gallman each game... flex play or high end rb2 if the matchup is right... this assuming he can garner nearly all the rushing down work. 
true, but the way the giants are going, isn't every down a passing down?

They'll still have to throw to their other RBs to keep defenses honest.  From what I read he has good hands.  The only real question is will he be on the field for the majority of plays.  If he is, then he has a chance to put up the numbers Perkins was projected to have.  Wish I knew if he was practicing with the first team.  Before last week, he was not on anyone's radar.  Just don't have a feel as to how this plays out.   

I think Gallman is a good proactive pickup but not much more than that right now. Predicting his path to more touches (or the timing of that path) seems more based on what people hope the Giants will do (or think the Giants should do) than any evidence of what they will do.

He came in with little experience catching...but he showed in preseason and last week that he can catch the ball out of the backfield

They'll still have to throw to their other RBs to keep defenses honest.  From what I read he has good hands.  The only real question is will he be on the field for the majority of plays.  If he is, then he has a chance to put up the numbers Perkins was projected to have.  Wish I knew if he was practicing with the first team.  Before last week, he was not on anyone's radar.  Just don't have a feel as to how this plays out.   
Even in a world where Gallman dominates the carries, the combination of poor run blocking, negative game scripts, and Vereen getting the passing down work caps his value.

Not that I anticipate Gallman will dominate the carries.

This is a major avoid for me, unless you want to roll the dice on Vereen going all Chris Thompson on us.

Even in a world where Gallman dominates the carries, the combination of poor run blocking, negative game scripts, and Vereen getting the passing down work caps his value.

Not that I anticipate Gallman will dominate the carries.

This is a major avoid for me, unless you want to roll the dice on Vereen going all Chris Thompson on us.
Going to disagree. Gallman is a great stash at the moment. Darkwa and Perkins are bad...vereen looks bad and can never stay healthy. Gallman can catch and looks to be the best runner. Giants are 0-4 and need a change.

This. Is. Why. I am hesitant to get on board. This may be the beginning of a new era, but if so, I won't be the beneficiary. I also think the odds are good that any rb who might emerge this year for the Giants will be supplanted or at least pulled into a committee next year after the draft.
Any time a rookie RB later than round 4 gets a shot I view it as a lottery ticket.  You hope you get a good showing to flip it, but they are going to bring in competition.  Perkins and Darkwa look terrible, they are not likely to be on the roster next year.

Going to disagree. Gallman is a great stash at the moment. Darkwa and Perkins are bad...vereen looks bad and can never stay healthy. Gallman can catch and looks to be the best runner. Giants are 0-4 and need a change.
This. If you aren't in dire straits why change it up? 0-4 dictates this. By mid season he is your RB on this team. He catches and is shifty. I've liked what I've seen so far.  He won't put up KHunt numbers but as a rb2 due to injuries.... I'll take it. On board in 2/3 leagues.

I think McAdoo's "hot hand" comment is a positive for Gallman. We've seen what Perkins can (can't) do, so I can't see him getting hot all of a sudden. Darkwa has looked good on a few carries, and maybe he gets a shot, but there has to be a reason why he hasn't gotten an extended look for three years now (beyond injuries).

If last week is any indication, Gallman strikes me as a guy that can get hot, but it's too premature to base that off one week and 11 carries. This weekend will be very telling, I think.

Paul Perkins (ribs) didn't practice on Thursday.

This is a downgrade for Perkins, who was able to get a limited session in on Wednesday. Another absence Friday would not bode well for his Week 5 availability. Fourth-round rookie Wayne Gallman would be in line for more work if Perkins can't go Sunday against the Chargers.
Am I a bad person for being happy at this?

Being downgraded from limited to DNP is always scary. I think the odds are better that he doesn't play this week. We're also not entirely sure that Darkwa is going to suit up this week. 

If Perkins sits Gallman becomes a solid start regardless IMO.
Absolutely.  Gallman has a chance to take the RB job if he puts up a decent performance.  He should be considered a RB2 this week and started accordingly.   

Absolutely.  Gallman has a chance to take the RB job if he puts up a decent performance.  He should be considered a RB2 this week and started accordingly.   
gosh darnit..... my flex spots just got more complicated.  I have Fuller in there now, but gosh darn if perkins is out I may have to start Gallman over Fuller and even Crabtree.

Being downgraded from limited to DNP is always scary. I think the odds are better that he doesn't play this week. We're also not entirely sure that Darkwa is going to suit up this week. 

If Perkins sits Gallman becomes a solid start regardless IMO.
Over cohen?

Users who are viewing this thread