What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Wayne Gallman, ATL (1 Viewer)

I have Barkley and I am only bidding 10%. I think hell be a solid RB2 but not sure I wanna blow my whole budget on him when I have biggers issues (WR lost AB & Hilton). I should be ok at RB for now as I also have Kamara (keeper league), McCoy, and Michel (bleh).

As a Barkley owner I am not excited about Gallman at all. 

The Giants upcoming matchups are very tough vs RBS. Even Washington is much better against the run than the pass. I am still not convinced the Giants dont trade for or sign a RB who will end up in a committee with Gallman. Drake could end up here or perhaps Ajayi who is apparently ready to play now or maybe CJ Anderson. 

I really wouldn't blow a lot of FA$ on him. Darrell Williams may be the sneaky better pickup here at a much lower cost. He looked really solid last week. McCoy is old is playing through a bum ankle and there is no real timetable for Damien Williams. Even when Damien is healthy he may lose his role to Darrell by then.

Wayne Gallman rushed 18 times for 63 yards and one touchdown and caught 6-of-7 targets for 55 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 4 win over the Redskins.

Gallman had a modified version of the Saquon Barkley role. The backup had 24 touches and was involved in the red zone, which makes him an every-week fantasy starter for as long as he keeps this usage. The only major blemish this week for Gallman was a fourth-quarter fumble when the Giants were trying to run out the clock. Otherwise, Gallman was fine. With the Vikings coming to town next week and without major competition for touches behind him, Gallman will be an RB2 in Week 5.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

Very quiet in this thread.

I suspect like me, we're all still trying to process Gallman looking solid in this backfield.

Really didn't see this coming at all. 

The Tape Tells All: Week 4 Breakdown of Wayne Gallman Jr.'s Performance

Seeing as how it looks like you'll get 3 more weeks of Gallman Jr. MAX, might as well post here since haven't been seeing comments in the Giants thread.

With Gallman Jr. his comps as a rookie were guys like Devonta Freeman; not tremendously athletic but tough runners. Giants have made him adjust his initial running style of jump-cuts before the LOS in favor of more acceleration to the hole and COD after he's through.

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly looked better as a pass catcher (as expected) than a runner. However volume makes him a must play in an offense that isn't too shabby with a porous defense. Yes please must play even if it's your flex until you can't.

Popped up on the injury report with a neck injury yesterday. Any word on today's availability at practice?

Dunno but after seeing Barkley running circles around everyone at practice, I guess we can go back to not caring. 4-8 week timeline and Saquon looks like nothing happened to him except he got a good night's sleep.

Dunno but after seeing Barkley running circles around everyone at practice, I guess we can go back to not caring. 4-8 week timeline and Saquon looks like nothing happened to him except he got a good night's sleep.
I think it would be a huge mistake for NY to bring him back so soon. I don't care how fast they think he heals, he's not playing at game speed and will be very likely to re-injure it.

Gallman is no Saquon but he's competent enough to give him another week off.

Wayne Gallman (concussion) has been ruled out for the remainder of Week 5 against the Vikings.

Gallman left in the first quarter after just two carries. The Giants are very thin at running back with former Rutgers transfer Jon Hilliman now operating as the lead back. With Saquon Barkley (ankle) inching towards a return, Gallman's days as the Giants' bellcow are likely over.

SOURCE: Giants on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 1:57 PM ET

Wayne Gallman (concussion) won't play in Week 6 against the Patriots.

Already short Saquon Barkley (ankle) and Sterling Shepard (concussion), the Giants will also be without Gallman in an impossible short turnaround at Gillette Stadium. Jon Hilliman will be the team's only available back barring Austin Walter getting the call from the practice squad. This is a situation to avoid entirely as Barkley should be back for New York's Week 7 tilt against the Cardinals.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 8, 2019, 8:50 AM ET

ESPN's Jordan Raanan believes Giants RB Wayne Gallman "can carry the load" in the event Saquon Barkley missed games in 2020.

Barkley, to be clear, is totally healthy entering the 2020 season, but Gallman would be a waiver wire add if that ever changed throughout the year. Dion Lewis isn't built for a big role and would remain in his passing downs only job while Gallman would handle rushing duties. Gallman was a healthy scratch last season but has impressed the new coaching staff.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 2, 2020, 2:46 PM ET

Wayne Gallman rushed 10 times for 34 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 7 loss to the Eagles, adding five catches for 20 additional yards. 

The majority of Gallman's work came in the second half after Devonta Freeman was knocked out with an ankle injury. His stats weren't overly impressive, but Gallman was grinding out some tough, important yards in obvious running situations. Fellow backup Dion Lewis lost a fumble this evening, so it would be all Gallman were Freeman to miss next week's game with the Bucs. Be that as it may, Gallman would still be a low-ceiling FLEX vs. the Bucs' elite defense. 

Oct 23, 2020, 12:35 AM ET

With Freeman on the shelf, is anybody forced to trot Gallman out on Monday night? If so, what are your expectations against a very solid TB defense and possible negative game script?

With Freeman on the shelf, is anybody forced to trot Gallman out on Monday night? If so, what are your expectations against a very solid TB defense and possible negative game script?
Gotta start him due to bye weeks in one league. I’m expecting 12-31 and 8/64 or something dumb like that with a coin flip chance at a TD. Choosing to start him over Hasty and think it’s gonna work out fine in PPR but in an ugly bad-for-real-football way

Gotta start him due to bye weeks in one league. I’m expecting 12-31 and 8/64 or something dumb like that with a coin flip chance at a TD. Choosing to start him over Hasty and think it’s gonna work out fine in PPR but in an ugly bad-for-real-football way
That's a very reasonable predictive line for Gallman, if not a bit optimistic on the receptions. However, for as incredibly stout as they have been on against the run, TB has given up some yardage to RB's out of the backfield. Just concerned that D. Lewis might be the biggest beneficiary. 

Wayne Gallman rushed 18 times for 53 yards and two touchdowns in the Giants' Week 10 win over the Eagles.

The Eagles linebackers continue to get exposed, this time by Daniel Jones (64 yards and a TD) and Gallman. Gallman is turning into a coaching-staff favorite and clearly ran ahead of Alfred Morris, who had 34 yards on eight carries. With Devonta Freeman on injured reserve, Gallman will get at least one more start in Week 12 against the Bengals following the upcoming bye. He's a volume-based RB2/3.

- Rotoworld

With the bye this upcoming week 11, is Freeman out through week 12 or week 13?  The NYG play Sea week 13 so I am curious.  Gallman has been doing well.

I keep starting other guys over Gallman thinking the TDs can’t last, and he keeps scoring these ####### TDs. I’m gonna start him next week and he’ll definitely not score! 

I was long WRs so I just traded Brandin Cooks for Gallman.  He seems to be taking over this backfield and the matchups get better after the bye. 

Solid RB3 down the stretch?

I was long WRs so I just traded Brandin Cooks for Gallman.  He seems to be taking over this backfield and the matchups get better after the bye. 

Solid RB3 down the stretch?
I suddenly am curious now myself, Buck. I just snagged Gallman off the FA wire for an easy pickup looking for RB depth and now have to decide if I can afford to drop him (yes he is on a bye) or someone else to field a team with a kicker. I picked up K Ballage for a second RB play and dropped my kicker.  My bench depth is solid and Gallman is one of perhaps 3 that I will have to drop to play a kicker. Wondering about his longer term outlook cuz he seems to have a burst and a nose for the endzone. Perhaps it's L Murray I have to drop instead as he's a handcuff to Kamara. I may wait until after the early NO game to see if Kamara comes away unscathed before I pick up a kicker. Other player is AB to consider dropping, but don't want to do that yet either. Other cannot drops include: Montgomery on a bye (although he's close lol), Diontae Johnson / Golladay, or Josh Allen.

The reality is I drop either Gallman, Murray, or AB and it's dwindling to Gallman and now most likely L Murray if Kamara is healthy after the 1:00 game. I am sure this is the kind of strategies that you all encounter some of the time. 

Deduction: Inquiring into the Gallman long term prospect as a hold and potentially a solid play as an RB 2 / Flex or solid bench in case of injuries.

I suddenly am curious now myself, Buck. I just snagged Gallman off the FA wire for an easy pickup looking for RB depth and now have to decide if I can afford to drop him (yes he is on a bye) or someone else to field a team with a kicker. I picked up K Ballage for a second RB play and dropped my kicker.  My bench depth is solid and Gallman is one of perhaps 3 that I will have to drop to play a kicker. Wondering about his longer term outlook cuz he seems to have a burst and a nose for the endzone. Perhaps it's L Murray I have to drop instead as he's a handcuff to Kamara. I may wait until after the early NO game to see if Kamara comes away unscathed before I pick up a kicker. Other player is AB to consider dropping, but don't want to do that yet either. Other cannot drops include: Montgomery on a bye (although he's close lol), Diontae Johnson / Golladay, or Josh Allen.

The reality is I drop either Gallman, Murray, or AB and it's dwindling to Gallman and now most likely L Murray if Kamara is healthy after the 1:00 game. I am sure this is the kind of strategies that you all encounter some of the time. 

Deduction: Inquiring into the Gallman long term prospect as a hold and potentially a solid play as an RB 2 / Flex or solid bench in case of injuries.
We just about literally have the same roster, GB.  I picked up Ballage to start this week, I have AK41 and Lat Murray, even have Diontae Johnson too.  Funny how that works out sometimes.

Looks like David Montgomery has some good matchups, but honestly I think Gallman vs Monty might be closer than you think.  I may just be talking my book now that I have Gallman, but the Giants seem to be playing better of late, and Gallman seems to be the guy.

I can't tell you who to drop, but I guess I would figure out some kind of way to hold him.  I'm very bullish.

I asked this upthread, but are we sure Freeman is back week 13 with the bye this week?  Is IR 3 games or 3 weeks?
IR is 3 weeks. Freeman injured his hammy compensating for the ankle injury; it should be fine but a hammy tends to be a 3 week thing itself. If Wayne (and to an extent Alfred Morris) keep stacking performances like they have been I don't see him getting a job back though.

Wayne Gallman rushed 24 times for 94 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 12 win over the Bengals, "adding" three receptions for -3 yards. 

What can volume do for you? Gallman's 24 totes were a new season high by six, as well as 20 more than any other Giants back. Devonta Freeman (ankle, injured reserve) is eligible to return for Week 13 against the Seahawks, but it's a solid bet that Gallman has established himself as the lead dog on early downs. Daniel Jones (hamstring) missing Week 13 would curb some of Gallman's appeal vs. Seattle, but he will be a top-30 option.

- Rotoworld 
Gallman actually had more yardage but McCoy hung him out to dry multiple times and ate negative plays.

Picked him up around a month ago and have started him last 2-3 weeks. Has very quietly been a bit of a saviour to my team, so in he goes again today, just looking for a solid 10-15 fantasy points non ppr please ! Anything else over would be magnifique 

Wayne Gallman rushed 12 times for 57 yards and caught three balls for 16 yards in the Giants' Week 14 loss to the Cardinals.

Gallman once again operated as the lead-back for the Giants with 12 of the team's rushing attempts going to him. No other New York running back saw a target in Week 14. Gallman is a bell-cow back but he plays for one of the most uninspiring offenses in the league, making it difficult to view him as anything other than an RB2 despite the impressive amount of touches he should see. His Week 14 outlook will be tied to Daniel Jones' ability to rebound against the Browns.

- Rotoworld

Wayne Gallman rushed nine times for 29 yards in the Giants' Week 15 loss to the Browns.

Unfortunately, Gallman was committeed by the Giants coaching staff. Alfred Morris subbed in frequently and ended with more yards (39) than Gallman on two fewer carries. Even Dion Lewis mixed in on obvious passing downs. It's no longer a role to bet on for the November noise maker. Gallman could begin losing touches to Devonta Freeman, who can be activated from injured reserve at any point. The Giants will look to steal a win in Baltimore next week. Gallman shouldn't be counted on.

- Rotoworld
Slight correction as he didn't get "committee'd"; it was the same rotation through 4 drives. However Giants went to a packaged they usually run with Morris and by the time 4th quarter rolled around they pretty much stuck with it.

Wayne Gallman rushed 11 times for 65 yards in the Giants' Week 17 win over the Cowboys.

Gallman started the final nine games of the season after injuries to Saquon Barkley (knee) and Devonta Freeman (various), scoring touchdowns in five straight games Weeks 7-12 before going scoreless the rest of the year. He was still able to post career highs across the board with a 147-682-6 rushing line (4.6 YPC) and 21 catches for 114 scoreless yards through the air. Gallman is now scheduled to hit free agency as a 26-year-old. With Barkley due back from his torn ACL, Gallman may look for more of a role elsewhere.

- Rotoworld

Took over a dynasty team void of talent.  Was able to scoop him up off waiver.   Would really like to see this guy land somewhere where he'll be used.

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports Wayne Gallman is the 49ers No. 2 running back behind Raheem Mostert "for now." 

Barrows inclusion of "for now" carries a lot of weight in a crowded Niners backfield. Wilson -- who, per Barrows, was slated to be the team's RB2 -- is expected to miss up to six months after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. Gallman, 26, is coming off a career season in which he saw highs in carries (147), rushing yards (682), and touchdowns (6) as the Giants starter. Rookies Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell have moved up in the backfield pecking order after Wilson's injury setback. According to Sermon's ADP -- which sits above Mostert's -- fantasy players fully expect the rookie to seize the team's lead back role sooner rather than later. That's a questionable assumption. If Mostert's ADP continues to drop this summer, he becomes an attractive option for RB-needy fantasy squads. 

RELATED: 

Raheem Mostert

, Jeff Wilson

, Trey Sermon

, Elijah Mitchell

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 26, 2021, 9:51 AM ET

Wayne Gallman is a good back, in my opinion. I've always been interested in seeing what Wayne Gallman can do. That said, Wayne Gallman is not likely to hold off Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell when those hounds begin to hunt. I think Shanahan is more playing punctilio with this and getting his preferred guy to earn it once Mostert goes down with the inevitable ding at his age.

Sermon and Mitchell are clearly the dynasty plays. Redraft gets a little murkier. Some folks like to have the lower ADP back because it presents more "value." But from highlights, I'm not as impressed with Mitchell as Sermon, and their corresponding programs and draft position further solidify this thought. Where to take Sermon? We'll see what ADP says around early-to-mid August, won't we?

Gallman is in SF? I'm not touching Sermon with a 40 ft pole. Gallman has turned into a quality starting Runningback. Gonna be hard time giving Sermon snaps over Gallman.

Gallman is a thrasher. No bad injury history, fresh legs. Could be the goalline back. Not as explosive as Mostert, but their stats (4.6 YPC vs Moster 5.0 are closer than one may think).

From an NFL perspective, teams saw Barkley go down and Gallman came in and averaged 4.6 YPC in his absence (career high). That's a guy I want in my RB corps and in a Shannahan offense, this guy will come in and look even better than he did in NY, imo.

Sleeper. No pass protection issues. Ready to go. 26 year old kid on a 1-year "prove it" deal. With Wilson going down, he's only going up against 1 guy who "knows the offense". Love it.

From an NFL perspective, teams saw Barkley go down and Gallman came in and averaged 4.6 YPC in his absence (career high). That's a guy I want in my RB corps and in a Shannahan offense, this guy will come in and look even better than he did in NY, imo.

Sleeper. No pass protection issues. Ready to go. 26 year old kid on a 1-year "prove it" deal. With Wilson going down, he's only going up against 1 guy who "knows the offense". Love it.
Might just be my opinion and that's all it is, I see the 4.6 YPC but to be honest I don't think he looked good last year. He got the job done. In my eyes, he's just a guy. I wouldn't be excited about him. I think he's the number two by default since the other guys are rookies behind him. But I think that'll change sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread