What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official Marvel's Iron Fist ** (coming March 17) (1 Viewer)

In an interview with Metro, Jones dismissed the largely negative reviews of Netflix’s new show Iron Fist— including io9's, which called the show Marvel’s first real failure. He said that critics don’t get the show the way fans will, possibly because they don’t understand the comic books or community that surround the Iron Fist franchise. This follows Jones temporarily leaving Twitter after getting into a heated discussion on race and representation in Hollywood, while defending Iron Fist as “one of the most diverse shows” in Marvel’s Netflix canon.

Do most people understand iron fist?  Jones was really good despite being lesser known, cage was disappointing but enjoyable imo. But he benefited from other having watched Jessica jones.  

If iron fist isn't at least decent it will be the least watched super hero show on tv - and that includes supergirl which is objectively horrible but kinda fun. 

I was never a big comic reader, despite loving the super hero genre. Most of my knowledge of IF comes from appearances on shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

My only real preconception going in is that they please stay away from the yellow and green costume that could make a gay pride parade ask him to tone it down a bit.

I was never a big comic reader, despite loving the super hero genre. Most of my knowledge of IF comes from appearances on shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

My only real preconception going in is that they please stay away from the yellow and green costume that could make a gay pride parade ask him to tone it down a bit.
That plus Cage's 70's outfit would be awesome.

These Netflix shows are all well done (well maybe except for this new one) but the only one I've ever finished is DD season 1. These stories work so much better for me in an easily digestible 2-hour movie. 13-hour character expositions of these mostly empty heroes is just waaaaaaay too much. Maybe if they were 6 or 8 episode seasons. 

Looking forward to this one.  Bummer it got negative reviews.  Will be interesting to see if the critics are right; I probably won't care as I enjoyed DD2 more than DD1 in defiance of all punditry.  I'm happy I'll get to see more of (IIRC) Jessica Stroup, who is downright beautiful.  

These Netflix shows are all well done (well maybe except for this new one) but the only one I've ever finished is DD season 1. These stories work so much better for me in an easily digestible 2-hour movie. 13-hour character expositions of these mostly empty heroes is just waaaaaaay too much. Maybe if they were 6 or 8 episode seasons. 
Fair point.  Although 13 episodes of black widow would still be highly watchable. 

Heard the lead's acting is the major issue.  Will prob watch the 1st ep later today and get through the season over the next couple.  As I mentioned in the MCU thread good or bad will watch to make sure I am ready for the Defenders series.

Just read where the first episode was given a bad review for being too slow to get started.  It's like the critic expected the action to start from the very beginning and have no build up.  DD started slow, Jessica Jones started slow, even Luke Cage started slow.  It's a series.  You don't give away everything up front.  Why else would a viewer hang around?  Marvel isn't creating the Netflix series to be the "monster of the week" type of shows.  It's an overarching issue that is being dealt with on the show, and seeing how the characters react as normal people vs alien super heroes is part of the fun.  

I truly think those who like comic books understand this notion, while the casual viewer still doesn't get it.  

That and IF was always a white guy.  There's no discrimination in the casting.  Now if Shang-Li isn't asian, then I can understand the complaints.  But at least get to know the characters before you stereotype and call discrimination against them.  It's ridiculous.  Educate yourselves people!!  Go to your local comic book store, grab an a few issues and get to know your superheroes.  Is that too much to ask?!?   :rant: :P

Acting usually has to be atrocious before I notice it being bad.  I don't have any problems with any of the actors in this.

And I agree that a slow start for one of these isn't unusual for a Marvel Netflix series.  Especially since these characters (except for DD) are pretty unknown to most people and need to be introduced.

I still haven't found anything to dislike about it.

After 2 episodes, I get the negative reviews. It hasn't been that great though I'm giving it time to develop. The lead character is definitely a problem. But I don't put the fault on the actor so much as the writing and director.

The writing is too often hit-you-over-the head obvious. The writing and acting are at odds which is the director's fault to me. Writers have the character constantly dwelling on traumatic events 15 years past, while the actor portrays them affecting him as greatly as if they happened last week. Director needs to get them on the same page. Rein the portrayal down, or have the writers make the event more repressed and build to a poignant expression of how they affect him. The way they did it makes me feel like someone is frequently shouting at me, "LOOK!  He has traumatic events that define him!  LOOK LOOK LOOK!"  There's just so little subtlety to the story so far.

I feel little connection to the characters. I liked the main character the most before the show started, as within 10 minutes I thought he was a bit of an idiot. The only character I am rooting for so far is the villain's personal assistant.

I never read any of the Iron Fist comics, but I'm interested to see how the Colleen character develops. She seems pretty badass.
:wub:

bcdjr1 said:
I've only watched the first two episodes, but I'm liking this show so far.
4 in (I'm sick so binge watching), it's enjoyable but the negative reviews are understandable. 

I feel little connection to the characters. The only character I am rooting for so far is the villain's personal assistant.
Pretty much agreed on all your points except I'll cheer for Colleen and her top student.

and the doctor, love her :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
They almost work too hard to tie everything together.  

Is "the incident" referred to that way because of any legal agreement or just preference? 

I'm guessing just preference. The movies are dealing with huge world-shattering events while the Netflix series feel a lot more low-key, real life. Maybe they don't want to disrupt that by getting the viewer thinking too much about the movies.

So, finished episode 5.  Marked improvement if you ask me. Most of the characters developing a bit more, and the plot taking off more. 

I'll withdraw my complaint about the directing at this point. Though Danny is still very uninspiring. I'd agree the actor is just doing mediocre with what he's being given, but I also don't think the writers are giving him much over this stretch beyond just actual plot stuff.

The writing is too often hit-you-over-the head obvious. The writing and acting are at odds which is the director's fault to me. Writers have the character constantly dwelling on traumatic events 15 years past, while the actor portrays them affecting him as greatly as if they happened last week. Director needs to get them on the same page. Rein the portrayal down, or have the writers make the event more repressed and build to a poignant expression of how they affect him. The way they did it makes me feel like someone is frequently shouting at me, "LOOK!  He has traumatic events that define him!  LOOK LOOK LOOK!"  There's just so little subtlety to the story so far.
I think that it is supposed to be like the trauma is fresh to him.  During his training, he was taught to repress his emotions; pack all those distractions away so that they cannot interfere with his performing his duty as the Iron Fist.  Now that he's back in New York and away from K'un-Lun, he's allowing himself to feel everything again.  So it is almost like he just lost his parents.

And as for what you said about him being an idiot - I think a lot of that should be chalked up to him being a bit naive about the adult world of New York.  He was 10 when his plane crashed, and since then he's been in another dimension, so he doesn't understand a lot about what it means to be a grown up in the big city, nevermind how business works or any of the rest of that.  He knows what it's like to be a kid there and how to be a warrior monk.

And as for what you said about him being an idiot - I think a lot of that should be chalked up to him being a bit naive about the adult world of New York.  He was 10 when his plane crashed, and since then he's been in another dimension, so he doesn't understand a lot about what it means to be a grown up in the big city, nevermind how business works or any of the rest of that.  He knows what it's like to be a kid there and how to be a warrior monk.
I'd considered that near the end of episode 2 about the time I made my earlier post. But I don't think that's the case, especially now I'm a lot further in. If it was their goal I think they failed at portraying it that way with any consistency.

I think it's more that the first 2 episodes were just poor compared to the rest. Just looked at IMDB and I see the first two episodes were directed by the same person, but the other episodes were done by other directors. Maybe that's it.

bcdjr1 said:
I've only watched the first two episodes, but I'm liking this show so far.
As have I and I think it is great.  Benchmark for reviewers seems to be 6.  Don't get the negative reviews but it's still early for me.

CentralPA said:
As have I and I think it is great.  Benchmark for reviewers seems to be 6.  Don't get the negative reviews but it's still early for me.
We'll see.  I'm 4 episodes in, and it's not a bad show... I just think it doesn't measure up to the other three Defenders shows.  I think it might be that the villain isn't clear yet, so we're not getting any charisma from that side.  Jessica Jones lacked this a bit, but Daredevil and Luke Cage had magnetic villains early, even if Cottonmouth wasn't the endgame villain.

Finished it. Overall I liked it. Liked the overall plot. All of the non-Danny characters carried the show. Love Coleen Wing and think her actress did a good job. Claire is awesome, steals most of the scenes that she's in. Fights were overall a bit meh compared to some of the other shows.

I thought Iron Fist was better than the last half of Luke Cage. But not as good as the first half of Luke Cage.

We'll see.  I'm 4 episodes in, and it's not a bad show... I just think it doesn't measure up to the other three Defenders shows.  I think it might be that the villain isn't clear yet, so we're not getting any charisma from that side.  Jessica Jones lacked this a bit, but Daredevil and Luke Cage had magnetic villains early, even if Cottonmouth wasn't the endgame villain.
Huh Jessica Jones had the best marvel villain of any off their movies or shows imo

Huh Jessica Jones had the best marvel villain of any off their movies or shows imo
Eventually, but we didn't really meet him until late in the show as I recall... he was in some dream sequences early, but it felt more like it was JJ vs. her own demons (that he caused) more than it was JJ vs. him for the first half of the show.  Hazy memories here, though - I could be way off.

Eventually, but we didn't really meet him until late in the show as I recall... he was in some dream sequences early, but it felt more like it was JJ vs. her own demons (that he caused) more than it was JJ vs. him for the first half of the show.  Hazy memories here, though - I could be way off.
Nah, he shows up in episode 2, sends the kids into the closet and the girl wets herself. Don't see his face though until episode 3 when Jessica trails the cop back to Kilgrave after making the cop think he killed Trish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread