What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (2 Viewers)

Borden

Footballguy
Chris (Christopher) Carson

[SIZE=1em]HT: [/SIZE]6'0" [SIZE=1em]WT: [/SIZE]218LBS.

[SIZE=1em]POSITION: [/SIZE]RB

[SIZE=1em]SCHOOL: [/SIZE]Oklahoma St.

[SIZE=1em]ARM LENGTH: [/SIZE]33 1/4"

[SIZE=1em]HANDS: [/SIZE]9 5/8"

NFL.com Combine Profile

ProDay Interview and Some Video of Workout

Draft Breakdown

"RB Christopher Carson (5-11 7/8, 215) jumped 39 inches in the vertical, had a 4.29-second short shuttle and a 7.50 three-cone time. He looked good in position drills, especially catching the ball." - Gil Brandt on Carson's Pro Day

***Note: Be careful when watching highlights and game tapes because he switched his style. The 2016 player is the one you are most likely getting. ***

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the guy getting drafted.  Man, you look at those measurables and have to think he has a chance but I don't see it when I watch him. He lacks short area quickness and is just too long legged.  His body type just looks strange out there and he's not a particularly natural RB. Not elusive and doesn't really run with power for his size unless the defender is tiny, and they aren't in the NFL.  If he caught the ball well I might be swayed, but he doesn't.  

I don't see the guy getting drafted.  Man, you look at those measurables and have to think he has a chance but I don't see it when I watch him. He lacks short area quickness and is just too long legged.  His body type just looks strange out there and he's not a particularly natural RB. Not elusive and doesn't really run with power for his size unless the defender is tiny, and they aren't in the NFL.  If he caught the ball well I might be swayed, but he doesn't.  
His size is 6' 215 and he's running over LBs and Safety's. And he's he can drag a DL in a pile. He has one really bad drop against TCU but if you watch the Pro Day interview there's a few clips of him making proper catches. Yes it's in shorts but it's better than seeing body catches and drops. 

Borden said:
I knew I recognized this his guy! He's in those Jack Link's Beef Jerky commercials. 
I'm pretty sure Watt's 3 cone was better than 7.50

edit:  6.88  :shock:

I can't stop liking this guy. I know combine comps aren't always true to form but whatever. Guess who's comps these are...

Carson: 

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.58 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 23 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 130.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE: 7.50 *Pro Day
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.29 *Pro Day
  • BMI: 29.6
Mystery Player A:

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.54 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 22 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 37.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 130.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE: 7.20 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.38 SEC
  • BMI: 30.9
Mystery Player B:

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.62 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 21 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 31.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 118.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.13 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.62 SEC
  • BMI: 31.5
Mystery Player C: 

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.57 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 19 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 39.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.10 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.10 SEC
  • BMI: 30.0
Mystery Player D:

- 40 Yrd Dash: 4.69 *PD
- Bench Reps: 23 
- Vertical Jump: 32" *PD
- Broad Jump: 115" *PD
- 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53 *PD
- 3-Cone Drill: 7.09 *PD

- BMI: 29.8

A: Derrick Henry    B: Mark Ingram     C: Jay Ajayi    D: Arian Foster

He was beat out for the starting job this year by freshman Justice Hill, and had only 82 carries. Not a good sign.

He was beat out for the starting job this year by freshman Justice Hill, and had only 82 carries. Not a good sign.
Plus according to his NFL.com combine page he never had a carry over 26 yards in his career. 

However, last year he averaged 6.8 yards per carry and over 7 ypc in 5 of those 9 games. And those should be the result of many good runs rather than one giant run that skewed the stats. He also scored a TD in 7 of 9 games. Hill played in 13 games only average over 7 ypc 3 times. Only ran in 6 TDs. And averaged 5.5 ypc for the year. The strange thing is that Carson had 13 catches for 128 and TD. Hill had 5/46/0. Carson was the bigger back but got more passing work in less games. 

I just watched the game vs Oaklahoma.

He has some impressive runs in this game. He is able to identify creases and when he hits it full steam can be a load to bring down. I can see some similarities to Jordan Howard as far as the way Carson seeks contact. On one of these plays he basically catapults himself into two defenders. This did not allow him to break tackles or be able to continue the play. He has no way of controlling what the defenders do with him while he is airborne.

He runs with kind of a wide base with his arms and legs pointed outwards as he runs. This causes him to provide a larger target for defenders to tackle. He goes down to ankle tackles at times where if he would pick up his feet and run with a bit better pad level he should be able to break some of those. Part of it is how his feet are at a wide base, which helps him cut and change direction, but also leaves more of a way for defenders to bring him down without taking him head on. 

Roger Craig would be the best example of a runner who stays compact while they are running and always high stepping with his knees coming all the way up to his elbows and providing no target for defenders to tackle, while maintaining control and balance.

I think Carson is using a wider base because it helps him change direction.

I watched the game against Iowa.

He drops another easy pass on a short crossing route. Whoever this QB is does not throw a very tight spiral, but you have to catch those. He does make a catch on a slant route where he gets split out wide. If the QB would lead him a bit better.. he might have had a chance to gain more yards after the catch. It wasn't and he gets tackled around the legs just after he catches it.

At the 40 second mark of this game he has a run that caused me to slow things down a bit and watch it about 5 or more times.

The play is a run to the left side with two linemen pulling across to the left to seal the outside (which they do a good job of later on in the play). The left defensive end (number 8) is able to get behind the guard who is pulling out to the left and has Carson lined up for a tackle for loss. He just completely wiffs at air though and I cannot really explain why. It is a side angle so perhaps Carson has more space than I can see from this clip, but he just flails his arms out there and never really makes contact with Carson on his tackle attempt. There is a couple linemen engaged behind him and possible that he gets stepped on or a player is pushed on him from behind just as he is trying to make the tackle. But again from the angle it seems like this contact happens after Carson has gotten past. I watched this at a quarter speed.. and I still am not sure what happens to the defender on this play.

It is likely that Carson had a burst of speed and perhaps got skinny causing the defender to mistime his tackle attempt.

Once he gets past this defender is the same time that the pulling linemen are knocking the defenders on the sideline down. Carson At 44 seconds you have 4 defenders on that side but two of them are on the ground. There are also four blockers out there 86 could have made this easier with a better block, but he does keep the defender occupied enough so that Carson can get downfield with a linemen in front of him. This was a really nice run.

He has several runs in short yardage situations where he is pretty successful in converting the TD or 1st down.

Later on in the game they are trying to run to the right side. He has a nice cut to the backside of the play where he does run into his lineman, but he is still able to bounce off this and gain some decent yardage on the play. They try to run to the right side two more times, but one was sniffed out for minimal gain and the second one he gets strung out laterally in the backfield and tackled for a loss. It was near the end of the game, so trying to make something happen, but you don't want him going east to west like this.

He has another drop but makes another reception as well on a quick slant.

He had looked pretty good in pass protection in all 3 of these games. I saw him miss one early on in the TCU game. But he had the guy blocked initially, he just lost control of the block due to a nice disengaging move by the defender that he couldn't recover from. There was another play where the defensive back doesn't want to even try to get past him on his man/blitz assignment. He squares up pretty good on his pass protection from what I have seen.

Seahawks selected Oklahoma State RB Chris Carson with the No. 249 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Carson (5’11/218) spent two years at Oklahoma State after transferring from JUCO, managing a career 213-1,076-13 (5.1 YPC) rushing line with 30 receptions. Carson lost his starting job to freshman Justice Hill as a senior, finishing third on the team in carries. Surprisingly invited to February’s Combine, Carson helped himself with a 4.58 forty, 37-inch vertical, and springy 10-foot-10 broad jump in Indy. Despite his high-end athleticism, Carson’s unproductive college career makes him an NFL long shot in the Mario Fannin mold. 

Apr 29 - 6:38 PM

Well he got drafted so that's good. He's got a bunch of guys in front of him, not good. The Seahawks are known for their "best player plays" philosophy so his draft position shouldn't knee cap him. Overall, not bad. Could be worse. 

I like he landing spot for him. Thanks again for pointing this guy out Borden. He likely wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise.

Seattle is a great landing spot for a yeti! Where would he live if he went to Detroit? He really wanted to go to Minnesota though....

Seattle is a great landing spot for a yeti! Where would he live if he went to Detroit? He really wanted to go to Minnesota though....
Too hot still. The Yeti needs a nice cold Canadian climate but he's too good for the CFL. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I was actually strongly considering Carson for the last pick of a draft recently completed. I might regret not taking him there.

It would be pretty amazing if you hit on Carson this year (could happen) after hitting on Howard last year. Carson has even longer odds than Howard.

Carrol will play the best guy though. He doesn't care about what they invested in getting the players, just who is playing the best right now.

Sounds like Baldwin is taking Carson under his wing. Gave him an earful for trying to sub off after a long run. Link 

Carson took second team reps over Collins in a mock game on Monday. Link

They have been loving him on Seattle sports talk radio from camp and he looks like a superhero but the Seahawks have so many RB's they like right now, probably the 5th RB behind Lacy, Rawls, Prosise, and Collins.

They have been loving him on Seattle sports talk radio from camp and he looks like a superhero but the Seahawks have so many RB's they like right now, probably the 5th RB behind Lacy, Rawls, Prosise, and Collins.
That is some great RB depth.  Lacy, Rawls and Prosise are locks.  Pencil in Marcel Reece at fullback.  Alex Collins has been impressive; he showed up slimmer and faster, and he seems like a keeper.  I have my doubts the Seahawks can squeeze Carson through to their PS, so they may have no alternative but to keep all that depth on their final 53-man roster.

Didn't watch the game but I read through the stats and some game notes. 7 carries for 19 yards and 2 TDs. Added a catch for 3 yards as well. 

Not a great night but but could been worse. The TDs were both 1 yard dives. Take those away and he 5 for 17, still not great but the Seahawks backs didn't do much as a group. He also had a 12 yard run calling back on a clipping penalty. 

He took carries in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. 

Didn't watch the game but I read through the stats and some game notes. 7 carries for 19 yards and 2 TDs. Added a catch for 3 yards as well. 

Not a great night but but could been worse. The TDs were both 1 yard dives. Take those away and he 5 for 17, still not great but the Seahawks backs didn't do much as a group. He also had a 12 yard run calling back on a clipping penalty. 

He took carries in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. 
The TD's actually looked pretty beastly. Both times driving guys back multiple yards. 

Chris Carson carried seven times for 19 yards and a pair of rushing touchdowns in Sunday's preseason game against the Chargers.

The hype for the seventh-round pick out of Oklahoma State has been growing. He obviously has plenty of company in the Seattle backfield with Thomas Rawls, Eddie Lacy and C.J. Prosise, among others. However, he is a player worth keeping an eye on. At this point, he is likely battling Mike Davis and Alex Collins for a roster spot.

Seahawks seventh-round RB Chris Carson "got turns" with the first-team offense at Tuesday's practice.

Thomas Rawls (undisclosed) sat out practice, so all three of Eddie Lacy, C.J. Prosise, and Carson got reps with the ones. Beat writer Sheil Kapadia notes Carson is "clearly ahead" of Alex Collins for the fourth running back job. Carson has been talked up multiple times this summer and had a strong showing in the preseason opener, rushing for a pair of touchdowns. Carson is a name to monitor in Dynasty leagues behind a trio of injury-prone running backs.

All of his touches came in the second tonight. Had a nice catch, some good runs and caused a fumble on special teams. I'm liking his chances on making the team.

All of his touches came in the second tonight. Had a nice catch, some good runs and caused a fumble on special teams. I'm liking his chances on making the team.
He had a carry on both of the first two Seahawks first two drives. Each for 1 yard. On the Seahawks two 2nd quarter drives, he went 4 for 25 and had a 17 yard catch. All starters played the first half and Carson rotated through with Lacy the whole time. Then both basically sat the second half. Carson was on the series (three plays) after the half but didn't get a touch. That was series after he forced the fumble on Kick Cover. 

I agree with you 100% in that I think he's likely earned a roster. I think that special teams play might be just as significant as his runs. But Davis looked good too though. Collins looked not bad against the second string guys but he fumbled at the end of the game. I'd say he's past Collins for sure at this point and probably has a slight lead on Davis but I think that is closer than it might seem. However, to be fantasy relevant he would need to be the lead in this time share and there's still Lacy, Rawls and Prosise to get by. I doubt they keep even 5 on active roster (plus a FB maybe). So, it's likely that Collins goes to the practice squad but there's a chance that one of Carson or Davis gets scooped off of waivers before they make it to the practice squad. Or maybe they trade one of these backs. They definitely need some OL depth since they lost their starting LT tonight.

Following guys like this is really the only interesting thing about the preseason. 

I thought Carson looked pretty good in this game although I was happy with the tackling effort by the Vikings for the most part in this game. Especially the first team defense. Coverage was a problem for them instead in this game.

I didn't notice much of a difference between Lacy and Carson, both ran with good power in back to back plays on the first and third drives, More effective runs in the third drive 2nd quarter when the Vikings had most of their starters out.

The catch by Carson was a play where Wilson was able to climb the pocket before delivering the ball to him in stride so he was close to full speed at the time of the catch. It was a nice play and he seemed to have good hands, didn't have to slow down to gather the ball in at all.

Wilson made a lot of very good throws in this game. He looked sharp. The Vikings coverage has regressed with out Munnerlyn and Newman doesn't look as good as he did last year so far.

A couple things I noticed was Carson was running too high through traffic. He really needs to get lower. The other that he shouldn't stop. Once he lets his feet stop moving, he's dead in the water. These two things are a bad combo but correctable. 

Seahawks seventh-round RB Chris Carson turned six carries into 27 yards and one catch into 17 yards in Friday night's preseason game.

While Eddie Lacy plodded his way to 23 yards on seven touches, Carson exploded for 44 yards on his seven opportunities and looked clearly to be the more determined downhill back. Carson essentially earned an RBBC with Lacy, playing 9-of-22 snaps with the Russell Wilson first-team offense compared to Lacy's 13 first-team plays. Carson has played himself onto the radar in re-draft leagues.

Good numbers tonight so far. How's he look?
Great play on the reception. That was mostly on Wilson moving around in the pocket but Carson got behind the LB covering him.

A run with some nice power where he cuts off of his block to the inside with good timing.

I haven't seen any other plays of his so far.

Lacy did have a good run earlier on in the game that I saw.

9 yard run by Carson just now. Looks like his footing might have slipped a bit when he cuts inside. Is able to accelerate to full speed and power through for about half of those yards.

Converts the 1st down on a shorter run following this. He seems to read the blocking pretty well. Good pad level and powers through contact on a lot of his runs I've seen.

Catch out in the flat where he pops the first defender and is able to get a second effort surge of another 3 yards after the contact.

On the one hand he looks good out there.  On the other hand the holes have been pretty good and Lacy/Davis have looked pretty good running through them too.

He seems like a pretty good stash on the chance he moves up the depth chart.  And a lot of the guys in front of him have had trouble staying healthy.

If anyone had a late rookie/FA draft and could give a price update on Carson, it'd be much appreciated. I've got my last one Sunday and have a very hard time determining where he should slot now in rookie ranks. 

Users who are viewing this thread